Switching religions

mortensorchid

This is not something I am dealing with in my spiritual life, but something others have been. Forgive my ignorance about certain things, I am not making generalizations about men vs women, and this is in no way bashing either faith as mentioned in the following stories, but I have encountered this in three women. Two I know/have known personally, another that I know of...

A girl I went to high school with decided she was going to be a Muslim (she was/is white and some Christian faith don't know which growing up). I don't know what lead her down this path, but she converted at some point. Then she married a Muslim man from Pakistan after they had known each other for about 6 weeks. Old story ensued then, but there are/were a variety of other reasons behind this - They barely knew each other, he started to hit her, etc. They divorced. Eventually she regretted her want / need to be a Muslim herself and no longer liked Muslims. A guy friend of mine who is also a Muslim, by complete coincidence as it turned out a few years ago, dated her. He said she was a complete train wreck and got out once he realized how crazy she was. I asked how he knew, he said she told him her opinions about religion (he did not go into details). Unfortunately I did not see this side of her until later, but I didn't know how far she would take it. I have no idea what happened to him but she went on a downward spiral of drugs, alcohol and mental illness. After she was arrested for a few too many "misunderstandings" about her being drunk in public, trying to pass a bad Rx at a pharmacy, I washed my hands of her.

The other I know personally is a friend, I am moreso friends with her daughter (which is another story) who is 18 years younger than me. I know her daughter better than her. Apparently at one point, her mother was a devout Catholic and, for reasons I am not sure of, she later decided to change religions and became a devout Muslim. Last year, apparently, she was in a relationship with a Muslim man. SHe traveled overseas to be with him, I could see by her Facebook posts she was living in Egypt with him. Then, one day she returned to the US. I don't know details, and it's not my business, but I think she may have experienced what the first mentioned woman did. She's not with that guy anymore, but she is still a Muslim. Her daughter is not religious, her mom does not inflict her beliefs on others.

The third I just found out about today. My sister is going out with this new guy who I met at Thanksgiving. He is divorced, has two children (girls ages 13 and 9). The little I know of him he seems like a good guy. I asked my sister minimal questions about him (I knew nothing about him save for his first name from that one meeting we had). He was married for about twenty years to a woman originally from Spain. Then, one day, she decided to shop around for a new religion and decided that she was going to be a Muslim. She then wanted the kids to attend a Muslim school, dress in the garb, convert, etc. He said "no". THe kids are not happy with this, they are now old enough to start saying they do not like this and they don't want to dress in the garb. Hence his side of why the marriage ended.

There are clearly some deeper issues at work with these people sighted, and I'm not saying that this is the case with all who change religions, but why would someone want to change their religion? Are they looking for answers? Are they trying to find them thinking that if I change my religion this will help me? Curiosity is one thing, experimentation is another, but what causes someone to do this?

• Like 1

There are clearly some deeper issues at work with these people sighted, and I'm not saying that this is the case with all who change religions, but why would someone want to change their religion? Are they looking for answers? Are they trying to find them thinking that if I change my religion this will help me? Curiosity is one thing, experimentation is another, but what causes someone to do this?

Yes to all of your questions. Let us also include for the sake of marriage. I'm not sure if it's coincidence that all of the negative examples involve Islam, but I have a friend who converted to Islam to marry her husband. They are very much still together and have three beautiful children.

Such conversions are common in all religions, denominations. The transitions are much easier when the traditions are more similar than dissimilar. For these people who obviously come from a more traditional 'christian' background, making the leap would be challenging.

• Like 1

Those are good questions and should make for a good discussion!

Psychologically, religions helps people model their experiences. One main reason people change religions is if they study a religion they may feel one resonates more with them than their current belief system. For example, you may have grown up catholic and as you get older, you find another belief system speaks more to you. In some cases, religious beliefs can be something you are grown up with and you may not really think much about it or question it. From that perspective, its more cultural. But as you mature and start contemplating the big life questions for yourself (e.g. what's the purpose in life), you may begin investigating different religions only to find that one particular set of beliefs stands out and helps provide you with meaning and direction.

Socially, some people may not be particularly religious but do it more for cultural reasons.

Personally, I believe I had a conversion experience. I like to think of conversion as a convergence of free will and pre-destination. I could get more into that if you would like (it gets a bit theological), but I don't want to derail your thread. :)

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

It's interesting to me that all three of these people in your post converted to Islam. I don't think I know of anyone who has converted to Islam, although I knew a few Muslim families.

I have one friend who, in the last few years, converted from Christianity (although a loose version of it I believe; her parents are my age and they were never strict Christians) to Judaism. I think, for her, she simply found the religion beautiful after studying WWII history/Judaism/Holocaust studies in college. I believe she even has her master's in holocaust studies. It's been kinda cool to follow her "transformation" on FB since I've known her since she was about 8 :).

I also have another Christian friend who is partners with a Jew, now they have little kids so I love seeing how they celebrate both Jewish and Christian holidays.

Finally, I have one friend who converted from Lutheran to Catholic when she got married. It was kindof a tough decision for her and required a bit of work, but once she realized the similarities in the denominations, she fully embraced it. Now she "talks" like "me...." an evangelical protestant! :)

CautiouslyOptimistic

If not done for marriage, I think a lot of people just find that as they age and their world views change, what they believe evolves and changes from what they might have been taught (or indoctrinated with) as a child.

Curiosity is one thing, experimentation is another, but what causes someone to do this?

I really don't know...

major_merrick

Leaving aside the issue of Islam (which I object to in so many ways), I've been going through the religion-switch myself.

I've always had a bit of Christian background, but my belief in God just hasn't been central to my life. I've been pretty much a non-believer, as far as most Christians are concerned. In a couple of weeks I am getting married to a guy who is part of a Christian sect with a number of unique beliefs. My GF#1 has already become a believer, and my GF#2 is sort of working on it. We're all in this together.

So why the change? First, I'm marrying someone I've loved for half of my life. I've finally gotten to the place in my life where I can "have my cake and eat it too" - I get my girlfriends, and I get to be married, and in the process I become part of his large family. The only issue is religion, so why wouldn't I convert if I don't object to most of what it teaches?

Second, I'm starting to wonder if there is something actually TRUE behind his faith. I'm watching my GF#1 work with it in her life, and she believes. I've seen people healed by faith, or at least gain a peace with what they are going through that seems unavailable elsewhere. I trust in logic, but I see things going on that I cannot explain. It doesn't convince me, but it interests me.

I think people come to a change in religion for a variety of reasons, but I doubt that anyone who is a firm believer in their first religion will easily convert to another one. That is a process that takes time.

• Like 2
but why would someone want to change their religion? Are they looking for answers? Are they trying to find them thinking that if I change my religion this will help me? Curiosity is one thing, experimentation is another, but what causes someone to do this?

Well, here's my 2 cents. (btw -- I dont know much about Islam or being Muslim)

I am a non practicing Christian Catholic which basically means I go to church once in a blue moon and on special occasions. I didn't chose the religion, I was born into it and I inherited it from my family. I have no issues with Christianity but sometimes do have my doubts as to its real purpose and usefulness and there have been times when I heard some things said by a priest during mass -- not the part where he reads passages from the bible but the part where he goes into some story about something that is currently happening in the world -- and I had some serious issues with what he said.

I have been considering converting to Buddhism mostly because a) obviously there are a lot more valid religions out there than just Christianity and b) I know quite a few friends who have converted and it seems that it might be a more useful religion of sorts in the modern world because it seems that it helps you become more calm and deal with stress and life better (the people that I know who have embraced Buddhism definitely seem to be that way to me).

But I don't know. I haven't converted because I am too stuck to my family roots I guess.. but I do read some stuff on Buddhism and am still considering it. Time will tell.

So in my case it's a combination of curiosity and also a desire to become a better and more peaceful person -- whatever that might mean.

• Like 2

FWIW.. I don't personally know anyone who converted from Christianity to Islam. Most of the people I know who are Muslims just married other Muslims. I also have a feeling that there are a lot of different types of sects (or branches) of Islam aka Muslims. The Muslims I personally know are quite liberal in that they dress very Western and they drink alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Author
mortensorchid

I realized a bit too quickly that the examples sited were of women who converted from a presumably Christian background to Islam. I do know of two men who were Jewish and converted to Catholicism. The first I don't know of his reasons behind, the second did it so he could marry his wife who was Catholic - I have no idea if either of them is practicing but they have been married for many years. Come to think of it, if I know of any others out there who have converted from one to another I don't know of them.

I myself have left my religion - I was raised Catholic but I don't attend church save for XMas / Easter, as well as funerals and weddings. I tell people should they ask me what my religion is or is not that I am Catholic but not practicing. I have dabbled with other eastern religions because they are on the outside more exotic than boring western Catholicism but have their issues as well. Otherwise I'm not very religious or spiritual and could care less about it. I guess I look for answers elsewhere. After all, what are forums like this all about? Ha ha ha ...

• Like 1

I think people come to a change in religion for a variety of reasons, but I doubt that anyone who is a firm believer in their first religion will easily convert to another one.

scatteredmusician

I think people who switch religions are doing so because they had no personal stake in where they were and what they believed, and may have been searching for something they were unable to find. As for me, I am a person of faith and talk to the Lord daily, which means there is a personal side to my “religion” It isn’t about the rituals or the buildings or the rules, but about faith in the One Who loves me the most. It's personal for me. People are designed to go looking for God. Some people find Him.

• Like 1
major_merrick
I think people who switch religions are doing so because they had no personal stake in where they were and what they believed, and may have been searching for something they were unable to find. As for me, I am a person of faith and talk to the Lord daily, which means there is a personal side to my “religion” It isn’t about the rituals or the buildings or the rules, but about faith in the One Who loves me the most. It's personal for me. People are designed to go looking for God. Some people find Him.

That's kind of what I find striking about my fiance's faith, and what drew my GF#1 to it. The word "religion" ends up being defined as a set of rules. The word "faith" seems to indicate more of a personal relationship with the divine. Yeah, there are a fair number of rules (and some unique ones at that) that are involved in my fiance's religious experience, but underneath it there is this idea of a genuine, personal relationship with God...something built less on rules but on something else I can't quite explain. I haven't been around him much when he prays since he usually hides when he does it or prays silently, but he talks to God like he was talking to a neighbor.

I'm not really sure where I will end up with this conversion thing. I'm outwardly conforming in order to make the marriage work in the eyes of his fellow believers. Inside, it is a bit more difficult, and I haven't hidden that from him. I think love will help it work out somehow.

I think those that change religion are better than those who simply believe in their religion because they were born into it. Why would someone accept the one they are born into when others are available and more ancient? Accepting a religion by an accident of birth is no way to accept anything.

We are following the words of ancient books written by men who did not know as much as a ten year old does today and yet we accept their writings as gospel. Yet we do not follow the medical books of ancient times. Most are unaware that the Bible was put together by the church and not all written to be in the Bible.

There have been 300 religions before ours that have come and gone so why do we think ours is the right one? Each society since the dawn of man has believed that their religion is the one true religion to the point that they would kill and commit genocide to prove it.

In takes more courage to change your religion than to just stick with it because your family does, born into it and know little about other religions.

Edited by Steve51
  • Like 1
This is not something I am dealing with in my spiritual life, but something others have been. Forgive my ignorance about certain things, I am not making generalizations about men vs women, and this is in no way bashing either faith as mentioned in the following stories, but I have encountered this in three women. Two I know/have known personally, another that I know of...

I've studied all faiths deeply. Islam as practiced in the western world is not the same as Islam practiced in other cultures.

Many women who are lost or feel rejected by their own culture/religion group find their way to Islam here in the west. They begin practicing a liberal version of western Islam and are very unprepared for a more traditional or orthodox version. This causes MASSIVE conflicts for western females who find strong Muslim men attractive, but can't deal with the reality of living the lifestyle.

Perhaps the vast majority of Western Women are taught to be dominants. They are best suited to weak submissive men.... which can be found in droves in left wing circles. When a dominant woman tries to get into a relationship with a dominant man... the women tend to be happier if it works, but the relationships can often go nuclear. It's very hard for western females to give up control of things.

So, I tend to be a dominant type guy. I really don't think this issue is Islam itself, but more a clash of cultures. When I try to date liberal western women the results are often less of a relationship and more of a power struggle. It creates a very good sexual dynamic, but the drama is awful. I'm not willing to put in all the work to force some woman into giving up her controlling tendencies. When I encounter it... I walk. Traditional Muslim guys will slowly grind a woman down and at the end stage I see most women MUCH HAPPIER in this arrangement.

• Like 2
major_merrick
Perhaps the vast majority of Western Women are taught to be dominants. They are best suited to weak submissive men.... which can be found in droves in left wing circles. When a dominant woman tries to get into a relationship with a dominant man... the women tend to be happier if it works, but the relationships can often go nuclear. It's very hard for western females to give up control of things.

There is definitely some truth to this. I tend to be dominant by nature, as is my fiance...which is part of what attracts me to him It has taken us many years to work this out, since our initial romance years ago came with a lot of fighting. I'm not even left-leaning either, even though I have typically been the feminist-lesbian type. I will have some adjustment to do once I get married, because his church is the "women be silent" type, at least as far as preaching and studying scripture. My GFs who are going with me have less trouble because they are not dominant by nature.

There is definitely some truth to this. I tend to be dominant by nature, as is my fiance...which is part of what attracts me to him It has taken us many years to work this out, since our initial romance years ago came with a lot of fighting. I'm not even left-leaning either, even though I have typically been the feminist-lesbian type. I will have some adjustment to do once I get married, because his church is the "women be silent" type, at least as far as preaching and studying scripture. My GFs who are going with me have less trouble because they are not dominant by nature.

The Christian faith acknowledges no less than 3 female prophets.

Do not take the idea that women do not take a preaching or ruling role in the church to mean they have a lesser position. I have never encountered a Christian faith that discouraged women studying scripture... I would be wary of any that did.

I also would not take seriously any church that claims to be Christian and has women preaching. That goes against both Old and New Testament practices and tells me they don't believe the actual scripture their religion is based upon.

Psychological studies have recently shown that dominant type women... often referred to as bi-strategic controllers are happiest when with men who are more dominant than themselves. One striking study, showed that dominant women enjoyed force more frequently in their erotic fiction. It seems to indicate they prefer a more dominant man in the bedroom as well. Interesting.

I don't think anyone should attempt a religious conversion without a serious amount of deep research and personal reflection. The majority of the people in the world converting religions are moving to Christianity. I suspect that if it wasn't for the threat of beheading and persecution 8-12% of the Islamic world would convert within 5 years. China is poised to be the largest Christian nation on the planet by 2025... as they are moving towards 300 million Christians... despite massive government repression.

Meanwhile Islam is growing just as fast, but by creating babies... and as a byproduct poverty. The western nations are being overtaken by what can best be described as Secular Judaism... which accounts for nearly 25% of all millennials in the US alone.

So, that's pretty much the world report on religious conversions.

major_merrick
Do not take the idea that women do not take a preaching or ruling role in the church to mean they have a lesser position. I have never encountered a Christian faith that discouraged women studying scripture... I would be wary of any that did.

I also would not take seriously any church that claims to be Christian and has women preaching. That goes against both Old and New Testament practices and tells me they don't believe the actual scripture their religion is based upon.

Psychological studies have recently shown that dominant type women... often referred to as bi-strategic controllers are happiest when with men who are more dominant than themselves. One striking study, showed that dominant women enjoyed force more frequently in their erotic fiction. It seems to indicate they prefer a more dominant man in the bedroom as well. Interesting.

The church I am joining encourages women to study scripture, but discourages them teaching it - except perhaps in female-only groups. Religious authority is given exclusively to men. To me it feels too old-fashioned, but it is just a part of it.

I think it is interesting that dominant women sometimes enjoy force more. I know that is true for me sometimes. My fiance isn't a "classically" dominant person...but there is no doubt about his determination and ability to get things done. He also holds a leadership role in the church, although he handles security rather than preaching or teaching.

I have also seen that Christianity is growing. In the past few years, I have seen atheist and pagan friends convert to one of the many forms of Christianity. Now my girlfriends are converting, and I'm following along. I think one thing that helps is that there are so many forms of it in terms of worship as well as variations in doctrine. Almost a flavor for everyone, it seems. I know there are disputes going back a thousand years about what the true form of Christianity is. My fiance has a saying, I don't know where he got it, but I like it. "In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity."

• 1 month later...
I've studied all faiths deeply. Islam as practiced in the western world is not the same as Islam practiced in other cultures.

Many women who are lost or feel rejected by their own culture/religion group find their way to Islam here in the west. They begin practicing a liberal version of western Islam and are very unprepared for a more traditional or orthodox version. This causes MASSIVE conflicts for western females who find strong Muslim men attractive, but can't deal with the reality of living the lifestyle.

So, I tend to be a dominant type guy. I really don't think this issue is Islam itself, but more a clash of cultures. When I try to date liberal western women the results are often less of a relationship and more of a power struggle. It creates a very good sexual dynamic, but the drama is awful. I'm not willing to put in all the work to force some woman into giving up her controlling tendencies. When I encounter it... I walk. Traditional Muslim guys will slowly grind a woman down and at the end stage I see most women MUCH HAPPIER in this arrangement.

Oh please, Strong dominant Muslim men

What a joke!

You know it's a facade, women control everything in the eastern world, they just do it under the radar!

and the man there behaves as a peacock, not really in control of anything except for few!

His wife even makes him stop talking to his mother if she wants.

Secondly, please don't insult left-wing men by calling them weak, just because they don't use force to control women does not make them weak!

Dominant men have no religions or political party, this follow their personality.

and how do you know women are happy with this arrangement?

Did you take a survey of all women in the world?

or are you still burying your head in the sand thinking your mom and dad are happy and content because your mom didn't complain in front of you!

And yeah!

Anyway who says I am amazing is not amazing

So I hate to use this word

But I bet you are a beta!

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i chose my religion because it felt right...in my heart to follow...i felt i had come home...almost ... a relief......it felt natural and not forced.....i felt hope .....my heart was touched by the principles ....the organisation of the church i am in made perfect sense..they have a relief society of women ..and i wanted to learn more.....the leaders are exemplary..all positions int eh church are not paid......they have a strong foundation in humanitarian work and they also have which was really important to me...and interfaith policy.....where respect is given to all religions.....and a persons choices to choose their religion based on personal revelation and prayer....not by the say so of another....

i will not change my religion.....or convert back.....i am not an electrical power socket..and i didnt have the purpose i feel now back when ..i believe conversion is a deeply unique experience felt by the heart and once felt.....there's no going back...or it wasnt a true conversion....

even if i was booted from my faith and disallowed to attend......i would still believe in the religion....and i would accept i was booted for a reason i would follow my religion from home.....

i feel quite a few people have a crisis of faith...either they expect life to get easier or the people to all be the same and perfect..devoid of problems and so peaceful..no struggle..no flaws....no issues...or they have a crisis of faith because someone abuses their power as an official such as my mum who was a sunday school teacher assaulted by her church leader.......and me to a certain extent when i was younger and homeless .....i became disillusioned about christianity as a whole...i related more to the orange people and vegetarianism who fed me and didnt ask me for sex acts when i needed food and a place to stay....

...i believe the opposite to be true about life getting easier...i believe when you find the right religion to follow overcoming all that life throws at you....becomes possible...doesnt mean that you stop suffering...just means you can handle it better...you feel supported and guided so you can hold on as long as you are supposed to hold on.....with faith...you are doing your best by yourself and others...

i dont consider converting to simply marry someone......to be something i would ever want to do or have them do for me....it wouldnt feel right to me....either way..my heart would feel the lie.........deb

Justanaverageguy

I would say most people who have not previously been spiritual but come to religion \ spirituality or who change their current religion - do so mostly out of a search for meaning and purpose in their life which they find lacking. Often occurs at an older age say between 30 - 50 and also often with people at the extremes - those who have achieved success what they wanted in life - but still found something is missing. Also frequently with people at the bottom who are going through hard times and looking for assistance. (This is excluding those few who simply do so for marriage - without a real desire for the religion but are willing to play the part in order to marry the person they love).

Aside from that on the comments about "dominance". I think its quite rare that women are attracted for any length of time to overtly dominant men. What I tend to find women are attracted to is "competence" and "confidence". Women like successful, competent men who are good at what they do and able to function well in society.

The "dominant" attribute is a bit of a weird one - women like assertiveness (they don't want a wet rag) but not normally outright dominance. The assertiveness needs to be balanced correctly. I would say dominance is an attribute that is usually very strongly inversely related to medium to long term success and happiness in any relationship romantic or otherwise.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

As a Muslim myself, I dont understand why you posted this as if muslim men are beating their wives or treating them like crap, something western media tends to emphasize me. Forgive me if I have misunderstood your post.

There are good and bad men in every religion or country. My father, brothers, and most of my friends treat women with respect and the quran clearly emphasizes on the importance of that but unfortunately your lovely media never shows you that. I will however be completely honest with you and tell you that the problem with these men in their culture, not religion.

This is why for example, you will find many christian and muslim men in the arab world (not all ofcourse) who think that they should be dominant over women. This however is common in places like Israel for example, where religious people are against women joining and fighting in the army.

I have dated two jews before. One of them was the loveliest guy I ever met and the second one was a complete nightmare. My point here is that there are good people in every religion and country :)

have a lovely day! :)

Oh please, Strong dominant Muslim men

What a joke!

You know it's a facade, women control everything in the eastern world, they just do it under the radar!

and the man there behaves as a peacock, not really in control of anything except for few!

His wife even makes him stop talking to his mother if she wants.

Secondly, please don't insult left-wing men by calling them weak, just because they don't use force to control women does not make them weak!

Dominant men have no religions or political party, this follow their personality.

and how do you know women are happy with this arrangement?

Did you take a survey of all women in the world?

or are you still burying your head in the sand thinking your mom and dad are happy and content because your mom didn't complain in front of you!

And yeah!

Anyway who says I am amazing is not amazing

So I hate to use this word

But I bet you are a beta!

what are you on about? A man would leave his wife in a heartbeat in the arab world if she ever asked him to stop talking to his mum lol. God gave us brains so we can think and use them.