I am not so sure about God anymore...........

My family is very religious, specially on my mother's side. On Sunday my Uncle kept pressuring me about going to church so I told him, "no thanks, I am divorced from God at this moment" well he took it like the worst thing!!!! He made a big deal and said that I had to pray immediately and ask God for forgiveness, but you know something? I am not feeling about God the same way I did before!!! I feel that those are all beliefs that my family has instilled in me but they are NOT my beliefs. As I grow older I force myself to believe all those things but it's not in me anymore and I am not scared to say it anymore. Before I would think it but I was too scared to say it because of what people might think. I am not going to say I don't believe in God but I will say I have my doubts!!! I can't believe that before I was too scared to say it aloud but not anymore. I keep in mind everything that I have learn from my family's religion as I grew up but I am not going to believe it until I get a sign!!!

westernxer

Your family sounds like my family. Like me, you're probably agnostic, except I'm not waiting for a sign to run back to church and genuflect. I don't think theology is important, considering that we ourselves are the one who must make the world a better place. It's always been up to us.

If belief in God helps others better themselves, then I commend them for it. However, wouldn't it be better to seek improvement for the sake of improvement, and not just because God wants it that way?

My family was lukewarm when I finally took a stand, but they've grown to respect me because I respect them, regardless of my religious indifference. We're human beings first and foremost. That's what matters most, to me at least. And I think they understand that, even though they still put a religious spin on it... oh well, that's how they are.

westernxer

However, wouldn't it be better to seek improvement for the sake of improvement, and not just because God wants it that way?

You either a servant of God or you aren't. There is no middle ground.

If this improvement is to satisfy what society deems an "improvement," then the "improvement for the sake of improvement" is being done to please society.

Maybe your actions are dictated by the need to sustain an ideology. Some people are willing to sell their souls for universal healthcare.

Maybe you are a self-serving person who is only willing to help himself.

Some people like to call religion the "opiate of the masses" while also promoting all forms of intoxication, and indulgences.

westernxer
Originally posted by BlockHead

You either a servant of God or you aren't. There is no middle ground.

Looks like the pot is brewing... right on schedule.

It was only a matter of time.

Originally posted by ~Naive~

I am not feeling about God the same way I did before!!!

It's a choice baby doll. ;) And what's nice about the whole God thing, is he doesn't push himself on you. He won't MAKE you be religious. You choose him if you want him. And it may not be the time or place for that.

And you may change your mind in years to come.

Or you may not.

Just be you. Just be.

Whatever you do decide, I hope you're happy with it.

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

It's a choice baby doll. ;) And what's nice about the whole God thing, is he doesn't push himself on you. He won't MAKE you be religious. You choose him if you want him. And it may not be the time or place for that.

And you may change your mind in years to come.

Or you may not.

Just be you. Just be.

Whatever you do decide, I hope you're happy with it.

Thanks tiki :love:

mental_traveller

Why not try thinking for yourself and making up your own mind, instead of just accepting the beliefs of your friends and family? Be an individual, not a sheep.

• Author
Originally posted by mental_traveller

Why not try thinking for yourself and making up your own mind, instead of just accepting the beliefs of your friends and family? Be an individual, not a sheep.

Who is this referred to?

Religion is a personal thing. It cannot be forced or driven upon you or you will rebel. You have to make up your own mind if you want it or not. It is always your choice. God will be there if and when you decide and he will accept your decision.

Peace...

ConfusedInOC

My family is very religious, specially on my mother's side. On Sunday my Uncle kept pressuring me about going to church so I told him, "no thanks, I am divorced from God at this moment" well he took it like the worst thing!!!! He made a big deal and said that I had to pray immediately and ask God for forgiveness, but you know something? I am not feeling about God the same way I did before!!! I feel that those are all beliefs that my family has instilled in me but they are NOT my beliefs. As I grow older I force myself to believe all those things but it's not in me anymore and I am not scared to say it anymore. Before I would think it but I was too scared to say it because of what people might think. I am not going to say I don't believe in God but I will say I have my doubts!!! I can't believe that before I was too scared to say it aloud but not anymore. I keep in mind everything that I have learn from my family's religion as I grew up but I am not going to believe it until I get a sign!!!

You will one day receive a sign from God and it's up to you what you do then.

God's love is no different than our own love in the sense that He WILLNOT make you come to him. He is a good God and a patient God. He will wait for you.

God is also understanding. He will listen to you when you are angry. God didn't make nor does he want "robots." Give God your anger and your pain. Place it at his feet.

I never understood until I became a Christian how much God loved me and how reassuring that is.

whichwayisup
Originally posted by Marshbear

Religion is a personal thing. It cannot be forced or driven upon you or you will rebel. You have to make up your own mind if you want it or not. It is always your choice. God will be there if and when you decide and he will accept your decision.

Peace...

EXACTLY! My parents had religion shoved down their throats...Which is why my sis, my bro and I didn't have ANY religion in our lives growing up. In a way I wish they had given me a choice - Or atleast opened my eyes to some of it because I know NOTHING about the Bible. Makes me feel ignorant and I can't have any Religious discussions with anybody because I don't know anything about it.

At the same time though, I am who I am without it - I'm still a nice honest person with good morals and I had a wonderful upbringing by my parents.

If you want to believe in a god or not, that is entirely up to you. I don't think it should matter if your family does not approve of whether or not you readily believe in god; it's your choice. I think what is important is that you are going to take important lessons from being raised with religion. I don't readily accept god into my life, and I don't see a need for church. I do, however, carry with me the lessons I learned in catechism and what morals I was taught, mostly, from being raised in the Roman Catholic Church.

I don't think it is really that important for a person to have religious faith. I know quite a few people who seem to get along well enough without it. Believe what you feel you need to believe in, and try to be a good person and to do the right things in life. It might be hard for your family to understand you, but you have the right to believe what you want. My mother is comforted in knowing that I believe I did learn some valuable lessons while being raised in the church, even if I don't go to mass or believe in a god.

Originally posted by mental_traveller

Who is this referred to?

I think he was just saying...forget what your family wants, it's about YOU and YOUR life. Make your own decisions, don't just follow theirs.

As the others have told you and as you already know, the decision is yours. I believe God created us that way, with free will.

I can understand how your family feels. They love you and have a solid faith in God and want you to one day be with them in Heaven, whenever that time comes.

What I hope is that when the time comes that you do get a sign, you'll recognize it. We sometimes spend a great deal of time allowing the world to block out the things of God.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Hebrews 11:1

naive, the beauty of your spiritual journey is just that: YOUR JOURNEY. Not your mom's, not your uncle's, not your best friend's -- though sometimes your paths will cross. It's yours and yours alone ...

from time to time, when I interview people for a faith profile for our paper, I'll hear, 'well, for a while, I fell away from the church.' And sometimes they're ashamed of that without realizing that this is a very important part of their journey, the questioning, the doubting, the falling away. Because sometimes a person has to completely move away from where they are to get where they are going. It doesn't always mean that you're going to move toward a goal that will please everyone, but it's YOUR free will at play, not theirs.

another thing to keep in mind is that if you were raised to believe that God loved you so much he'd let you go in the direction you choose to go, he's not gonna hold it against you. Rather, he's going to be that patient parent, loving you all the same while you figure out the direction you're going to take, and that doesn't ever change …

• Author
Originally posted by quankanne

naive, the beauty of your spiritual journey is just that: YOUR JOURNEY. Not your mom's, not your uncle's, not your best friend's -- though sometimes your paths will cross. It's yours and yours alone ...

from time to time, when I interview people for a faith profile for our paper, I'll hear, 'well, for a while, I fell away from the church.' And sometimes they're ashamed of that without realizing that this is a very important part of their journey, the questioning, the doubting, the falling away. Because sometimes a person has to completely move away from where they are to get where they are going. It doesn't always mean that you're going to move toward a goal that will please everyone, but it's YOUR free will at play, not theirs.

another thing to keep in mind is that if you were raised to believe that God loved you so much he'd let you go in the direction you choose to go, he's not gonna hold it against you. Rather, he's going to be that patient parent, loving you all the same while you figure out the direction you're going to take, and that doesn't ever change …

What you have said is so beautiful quankanne!!! I know exactly what you mean and I also know that if God is really out there I will eventually be led back into the path that I should be on. Thanks so much.

you're very welcome. Just keep to the front of your mind that no two journies are ever the same, though the outcomes are similar!

I'm sure if you ask your uncle about his struggles and how they affected his faith, he'd probably have something to share about falling away, too. Most of us do, and understand that it's all a part of it. :)

• Author

See that's what gets me mad about him. He has been raised in the religion as well but he never liked it until now that he is old. My grandfather was a pastor and devoted to God but no one could convince him to go to church and now all of a sudden when he is religious he wants me to be too. I used to be very religious but not anymore and I wish he could see my point since he was there not so long ago!!!

They just want the best for you. And they think that's the best way. They care about you and want to see you prevail. That's all.

Or maybe they think you've been watching too many Carl Jr's commercials. :confused:

:cool:

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

Or maybe they think you've been watching too many Carl Jr's commercials. :confused:

That could be it :confused:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

RecordProducer

I am an atheist... thank god! :D

I believe that religions were supported by the evil rulers so that they can manipulate the masses easily (in the past). They are brain washers.

I believe that religions were supported by the evil rulers so that they can manipulate the masses easily (in the past)

if you could remove a bulk of the human element in religion, things would be a lot easier! Televangelists, crusaders, the Inquisition, sex scandals, gay priest scandals … all that just muckies up the waters, so to speak, because people get wrapped up in that instead of focusing on what their faith is: their relationship (or not) with God.

I used to be very religious but not anymore and I wish he could see my point since he was there not so long ago!!!

people only want to see things they way they want, never mind what THEY'VE done. And they want to give you the answer for your queries because it's worked for them. Naive, just smile at him and tell him that it's between you and The Big Guy, then walk away. If your uncle can't get that ... well, you can always tune him out, right?

I keep in mind everything that I have learn from my family's religion as I grew up but I am not going to believe it until I get a sign!!!

A sign, huh? And how will you know how to interpret it if you have no understanding of religion? If you want religion in your life, you might have to take the responsibility to put it there. Which one is up to you and how you go about educating yourself is also your decision. However, if you're truly interested in religion then you might want to pick up a few books that discuss different religious concepts - there are dictionaries that give you information regarding religion.

But then, you might just realize you don't need religion at all. It's not for everyone. :D

• Author
Originally posted by Pocky

A sign, huh? And how will you know how to interpret it if you have no understanding of religion? If you want religion in your life, you might have to take the responsibility to put it there. Which one is up to you and how you go about educating yourself is also your decision. However, if you're truly interested in religion then you might want to pick up a few books that discuss different religious concepts - there are dictionaries that give you information regarding religion.

But then, you might just realize you don't need religion at all. It's not for everyone. :D

I am sure that if there is a God he is powerful enough to let me know that it's a sign!!! Hey he did make the world id he not? It shall be easy to convince me!

my belief is that God and religion and all this krap is something that has been created by humans to fill the "holes" of our knowledge and explain the unexplainable such as human suffering, death, pestilence, life, the universe, etc... I think its all a bunch of malarkey myself.

but i reserve the right to be wrong. :)