God is a forgiving god. I know this

But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?

• Author

That's an interesting article. I'm interested in this part especially

While we should never turn God’s grace into a license to sin (Romans 6; Jude 4), His grace is available when we repent of our sin. We are on dangerous ground if we find ourselves planning both our sin and our repentance. Something is amiss in our Christian life if we are relying on God’s grace to cover intentional sin rather than allowing His grace to lead us to greater levels of holiness (Romans 6:14; Titus 2:11-12).

Counting on gods grace as a license to sin. If you chose to do it, then are you really truly sorry? Eh.

todreaminblue

i dont know if its selfish or just stupid....consequences.....god does forgive...but he also knows our true hearts....and remorse is there or it isnt....

if it isnt....he wont be lenient.....he knows our weaknesses and all things will be justified in what he does...there is no one fairer or more understanding of all than god....also ...no being firmer than god on sin or keen for justice....he gave his son ..to show his love for sinners...we must show love for his son.....by renouncing sin.....and to be more like his son...and worthy....of gods love..feeling worthy is really hard even when i am good and doing good and being good..still dont feel worthy probably never will........probably the hardest thing to feel...

feeling remorse......easier.....for me.....i just try to do the right thing....even when i feel god hates me ...like now..maybe its my consequence because i struggle to give up smoking being an ex hooker.......i feel bad anyway...........deb

AD,

and I agree....

But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?

.....then you are being rather presumptive ...

Hebrews 10;26 (KJV) says;

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

The whole forgiveness of sins concet is based around a sinner being sorry and trying to do better. As long as the sinner (and that's you and me as well as the rest of humanity) owns what they did and is truly sorry then God's forgiveness is available.

So I think you're pushing the envelope a bit there.

Maybe you should talk to a minister of religion about this?

You get the divorce anyway. God doesn't want you to suffer.

Do speak to your minister / priest.

• Like 2
Southern Sun

If it's divorce, aileD, even MY church (basically an Acts church), believes that it is acceptable for betrayed spouses of infidelity. They certainly encourage forgiveness where possible, but if there is just too much hurt, and certainly if a wayward spouse continues to act in egregious ways, you are absolved. You are doing nothing wrong. Ten commandments. And Jesus did not come to abolish the law, "but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm not talking about me.

I know I can divorce in a second and it would be acceptable because of everything he's done.

Just wondering if God really forgives you if....for example....you know you're not supposed to steal but you say "eh. I know I'm not supposed to but I really want this shirt badly and God will forgive me anyway so I'm gonna do it..,,then I get the shirt I want (selfish) but I'll be forgiven in the long run too "

If I was God I'd be like "yeah...no"

I'm new to the Bible and following religion so forgive me if I'm being stupid

MuddyFootprints

That's between them and their God. It doesn't matter what you think your God should do. We are human. We aren't gods.

You can hope and believe the cost of a shirt or a loaf of bread is worthy of eternal damnation all you want.

In a perfect world someone would ask for the shirt...or loaf of bread.

And, in a perfect world, the request would be granted.

Who God forgives or doesn't has nothing to do with us..

bluefeather
forgive me if I'm being stupid

Ok, I forgive you.

I can see without you responding to my post, since you mentioned the bible, that you are referring to the god of Christianity. Must you be afraid of something in order to be good? If you must, I think you're doing it wrong.

Peace.

• Author
Ok, I forgive you.

I can see without you responding to my post, since you mentioned the bible, that you are referring to the god of Christianity. Must you be afraid of something in order to be good? If you must, I think you're doing it wrong.

Peace.

Like I said ----NOT ME.

And Yes, Christian God. I'm sorry I didn't see your post

AD,

Just wondering if God really forgives you if....for example....you know you're not supposed to steal but you say "eh. I know I'm not supposed to but I really want this shirt badly and God will forgive me anyway so I'm gonna do it..,,then I get the shirt I want (selfish) but I'll be forgiven in the long run too "

Errr, no, you won't necessarily be forgiven.

See my previous response.

I don't know what church you go to but as I understand it from my church (Traditional Anglican) God is ready to forgive all those who are truly repentant.

Just going ahead and doing whatever you want to do and assuming you'll be forgiven is, IMO, arrogant beyond words.

This is the challenge of being a Christian in a secular world. There are so many temptations. We try very hard to "do the right thing" but our nature lets us down. As long as we try and acknowledge our failings we have forgiveness.

We are told quite clearly "Thou shalt not steal". So anyone who goes against that knowingly will have to answer for their choice eventually.

• Like 1
Which god are you talking about?

Ok, I forgive you.

Peace.

The more secure you become in your own belief system, the less you will attempt to belittle others.

To the topic, I'm an atheist for disclosure, but I can't see how you can be good to others if you aren't being good to yourself.

Strong boundaries are very important.

Consider the person with "nice guy syndrome" who puts everyone else's needs above their own. Would you consider that a stable healthy way to exist?

• Like 1
Southern Sun
I'm not talking about me.

I know I can divorce in a second and it would be acceptable because of everything he's done.

If I was God I'd be like "yeah...no"

I'm new to the Bible and following religion so forgive me if I'm being stupid

Hebrews 10:26 says that we are not to continue in intentional sin.

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

From Romans 6: 1-3

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Same chapter of Romans:

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

2 Peter 1: (emphasis mine...we have been forgiven of our PAST SINS)

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

This is not to say we are never forgiven of our future sins. But I've quoted these scriptures together to point out that we are not to continue to use God's grace as a license to sin over and over, because we were given it to be forgiven of our past sins, as well as to be forgiven of unintentional sin...not ongoing, deliberate sin...over and over and over.

• Like 2
bluefeather
The more secure you become in your own belief system, the less you will attempt to belittle others.

I'm wonderful with my belief system. You did not understand my message. But that is ok. We do not need to continue a dialogue.

bluefeather

I think a question like this can go on for a long time with different opinions, because it seems like the god of that religion has gone through changes. He seemed very punishing at first, with plagues and other disasters, then later He created a son with a forgiveness system through him. And there are branches that follow certain parts of the bible almost literally, and then there are others that are more liberal with the meanings.

• Author
Hebrews 10:26 says that we are not to continue in intentional sin.

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

From Romans 6: 1-3

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Same chapter of Romans:

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

2 Peter 1: (emphasis mine...we have been forgiven of our PAST SINS)

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

This is not to say we are never forgiven of our future sins. But I've quoted these scriptures together to point out that we are not to continue to use God's grace as a license to sin over and over, because we were given it to be forgiven of our past sins, as well as to be forgiven of unintentional sin...not ongoing, deliberate sin...over and over and over.

His is excellent. THANK YOU

• Like 1
  • Author
AileD, what do you think about this?

Once Saved, Always Saved

Thanks for posting. This part helped me:

"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

There no humbleness in repenting sin when you intend to do that sin again.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

I believe that god is a loving god and that he is forgiving beyond comprehension go dis forgiving.....we killed his son yet he loves us still,he gave his son knowing we would kill that son....and that needed to be done because we sin.....but....just as much as god is love god is in perfect balance with justice.....and somewhere between love and justice is mercy for the truly repentant.....its scales and i guess its up to us how we tip those scales..in the end...we choose.....what we get and what we receive......its actually up to us...if we get forgiven or not...true remorse....will do that..theres also a difference between weakness illness and sinning....gods knows hearts to every level...minds hearts body and spirit god knows us.....i find comfort in that when i fail...to live up to what i know he wants from me....he gives me...hope....always...always hope that ill do the right thing and that he will always forgive me..and has forgiven me...when i have failed...and sinned....i dont want to sin......he knows that..deb

Gr8fuln2020

"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

So, if someone is 'saved' commits intentional sin ONCE is he/she still saved? I ask as 'christians' are notorious for defining what is a sin and what is not. It becomes even more ambiguous when 'christians' place weight on different forms of sins and let's not even get started when they arbitrarily define what is and what is not sinful. The christian-right, the evangelicals here in the USA are especially notorious for this.

Edited by simpleNfit

Sadly, I think some pretend to be Christians.

todreaminblue
Love this. Sounds obvious doesn't it? You'd be hard pressed to find many 'christians' who would take any responsibility for this. "Am I my brother's keeper?" Well, yes! But so many religious compartmentalize their faith so that they separate what THEY believe is moral imperative and engage in activity or support ideas/people that are or who embrace beliefs that are in direct opposition to their 'professed beliefs.'

so many religious compartmentalize their faith so that they separate what THEY believe is moral imperative and engage in activity or support ideas/people that are or who embrace beliefs that are in direct opposition to their 'professed beliefs.'

theres also acceptance of differences.....what might be in total opposition to your beliefs ...deosnt make that person less of a person...a person who engages in things you dont agree with or condone....or you believe is wrong in a spiritual sense.....still has a right to be respected..my youngest daughter is gay.....i dotn want her to be....she is ...

i talk to her about her love life..i meet her love interests her friends ....who call em mum too.......i am my daughters mum....she is a gorgeous stunnign young woman with a heart of gold.....she knows that i do not agree with homosexuality....but i accept now my daughter....my daughter is gay........she knows how i feel that i pushed and pushed her pleaded with her to see it as a stage....and i pray every night.....dso i support my daughter...yes i do.....i dont agree with her ...but i support and accept my daughter...as a christian mother should....it took me a while to face facts......i will nto leave her by the way.....because we dont have the same beliefs and they are direct opposite..am i disappointed...yes.....but i would not say that to her..i smile instead and tell her i love her/....every day...deb

• Like 1