Meditation

Hello all!

Did a quick search and didn't see anything on meditation so I thought I'll start one. I'm wondering if anyone here does meditation and if yes, how has it benefitted you, especially if you've been doing it for an extended period of time?

For me, I turned to meditation previously when I was coping with tricky relationship problems, particularly after I found myself with a lot of 'dark' thoughts that worried even me. I practised it using apps as well as by attending classes. I thought they helped calm me down and exposed me to concepts in Buddhism, especially on impermanence, which I really benefitted from. However, I only did it for that 1 month or so, so I feel like I wouldn't have really fully understand the effects and benefits as someone else who does it for the longer term.

Please do share your experiences! :)

Justanaverageguy

I've meditated for a couple of years. Also practice breathing techniques and do some specific body work related to Kundalini yoga. In terms of benefits I would say it depends on the person and how advanced and regular they are in their practice.

For your everyday modern person the primary and most obvious benefit is simply calming the mind in the moment you are meditating. When practiced regularly it starts to give this benefit in a continual way. It provides a "spaciousness" to your thoughts.

For most modern people they live directly through their thoughts. Impulses and emotions flow from thoughts automatically and instinctively. EG: You're driving in traffic - and the car in front of you cuts you off. A thought comes about how rude the driver was - you get angry, you yell, you beep your horn and abuse them. Thoughts and consciousness seem to be so tightly bound they are one and the same. The person doesn't feel in this instance they have any choice but to get angry - its just an automatic process in reaction to what happened.

Regular meditation allows you to separate these. To take a step back from your thoughts - to place a gap between your conscious awareness and your individual thoughts. It allows you to observe what your thinking at a safe distance :) If you don't like a particular thought that your brain provides you don't have to immediately dive into it and feel all the emotions attached to it automatically. You can just let it sit there and the thought will pass. Also like you said studying some of the eastern philosophies like Buddhism, Taosim etc is beneficial to do at the same time. These philosophies help with positive and healthy ways to understand and interpret the world and thus help with learning to direct your thoughts in a positive way.

Also as you advance your mediation practice you may start to get access to some of the more advanced benefits - where a blissful feeling envelops the whole body while your meditating. I've had meditative experiences that rival and actually surpass the feeling I get from orgasming during sex. Leaves you positively beaming after a meditation session which you carry with you into the rest of your day. This is probably not something you should go in aiming for but its definitely something you can access if your dedicated to your practice.

Overall its great for those people who have negative thought patterns. Its great for people who live busy lives and need to slow down their racing mind. Great for those with stress. Great for those with anger management issues. Great for those with depression. I think in the modern faced past world where information is coming at you faster then you know what to do with it - its great for everyone.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
Hello all!

Did a quick search and didn't see anything on meditation so I thought I'll start one. I'm wondering if anyone here does meditation and if yes, how has it benefitted you, especially if you've been doing it for an extended period of time?

For me, I turned to meditation previously when I was coping with tricky relationship problems, particularly after I found myself with a lot of 'dark' thoughts that worried even me. I practised it using apps as well as by attending classes. I thought they helped calm me down and exposed me to concepts in Buddhism, especially on impermanence, which I really benefitted from. However, I only did it for that 1 month or so, so I feel like I wouldn't have really fully understand the effects and benefits as someone else who does it for the longer term.

Please do share your experiences! :)

I started meditating years ago and then stopped it... don´t know why. After a recent breakup and a really bad experience in a foreign country (came back to my country, dumped by my ex and lost money and job, all together, out of the blue!) I started meditating again... and it has changed the way I see my life... I ´ve felt again the power of living the present moment, of loving myself... and it is helping me a lot to move on and to accept, forgive and let go of the past.

• Like 2

It's a dicey subject for me because I have had a negative experience with it. Heavy meditation can cause psychosis in susceptible people, particularly if done over the long term and for long periods of time frequently. This is a well documented phenomena and there are even scientists out there researching people who've had total breaks with reality as a result of longterm meditation. . In generally mindfulness techniques are considered safer than meditation designed to initiate one into some kind of spiritual development.

The world has really jumped on the meditation bandwagon but didn't stop to realise that a lot of meditation techniques particularly buddhist ones are specifically designed to break down the psyche. That is why they are practiced in controlled environments with the support of a monastery and people who have been through the full cycle of development. It's well understood that part of the development into spiritual mastery is a dark period that actually some initiates do not ever get past.

Of course not all buddhist teachings are potentially like this. But if you want to know more just Google the dark side of meditation and you'll find plenty of information about people who've had psychosis as a result of meditation.

Overall its great for those people who have negative thought patterns. Its great for people who live busy lives and need to slow down their racing mind. Great for those with stress. Great for those with anger management issues. Great for those with depression. I think in the modern faced past world where information is coming at you faster then you know what to do with it - its great for everyone.

I wouldn't disagree with this^^

I have been using meditation techniques for the past five months. I have never attended classes nor observed the practice. Perhaps what I use is not orthodox.

I was having trouble with Irrational Fear. I looked at Brain physiology and operation and deduced whatever was going on my Amygdalea was playing a significant role.

I read that certain proficient Buddhist Monks in Tibet could, using compassion meditation, affect the operation and state of their Amygdalae.

I researched the 'just' of what they where about and employed it as I interpreted it.

The results where almost immediate and very beneficial. I was able to return to work and carry my employment.

By nature I am Introvert/HSP, I work in profit oriented Heavy Engineering. I am prone to over-stimulation due to the movement/activity/noise/volume of people/volume of personal interaction in the working environment. Compassion Meditation helps me be effective in the work place. Pro-active rather than re-active.

I perform a repetitive task, repeated many hundreds of times through out the shift. I can employ meditation techniques and perform with the highest levels of due diligence.

Lowered my stress and anxiety.

Kept things in the "now".

Listening skills improved.

More attune to the environment.

Its not a coma state at all....Its actually a sedate level of relaxation...that prepares your body for energy rejuvenation..Unblocking.

I did yoga..as a precursor...Then I found certain "stillness" without contorting my body to be a better method.

Prefer certain sounds during meditation....winds...chimes...or simple vocal chants...They linger...so soothing.

I can't seem to "get" meditation. I guess I don't do it right. Sit perfectly still, clear your mind of all thoughts/emotions, concentrate on your breathing... I'm asleep in 5 minutes, every time.

Sleep is my meditation. :D

• Like 2
Justanaverageguy
I can't seem to "get" meditation. I guess I don't do it right. Sit perfectly still, clear your mind of all thoughts/emotions, concentrate on your breathing... I'm asleep in 5 minutes, every time.

Sleep is my meditation. :D

This is how I used to see meditation as well. :) I tried it a couple of times and it never really worked for me I just dozed off or had a continuous inner monologue about random things. I think for most people it is impossible to simply "clear your thoughts" or "not think of anything" without an process to facilitate this. For me it was only after I started doing some yoga that it really clicked. Something to do with the breathing and concentration on your bodily movements that stills the mind. When you give it something else to do it stops creating thoughts. Yoga is kind of active mindful meditation.

When I sit still I found for me a combination of focusing on breathing and a mantra works the best. Repetitively reciting a specific word or phrase silently in your head stops other thoughts but keeps you conscious. I also use some specific meditation music to put me in the right space and after 5-10mins you just find this peaceful silence overcomes you.

When it works it kind of feels like you have been walking through a busy city street. Lots things going on, your brain is constantly on high alert processing things - dodging traffic and pedestrians - then you turn a corner suddenly find yourself in peaceful medow. No noise, nothing there to dodge or to process. Everything is suddenly still, silent and calm and you just sit and enjoy.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • 3 weeks later...

I am just a beginner.

I have a very busy mind - chaotic, obsessive, negative, worrier, etc at times.

Focus on breathing, and letting go of thoughts is challenging but provides relief.

• 3 weeks later...

:laugh: This also describes my attempts - even after taking a number of courses with different teachers of different faith backgrounds, I also felt that I wasn't "getting it".

More recently, I 'stumbled upon' (or was finally 'guided to'?) these two resources, which have helped a lot; each in its own way: Meditation - First Steps to Control of the Senses and Practical Advice for Meditators.

Presently, I can go 8 even 12 minutes before falling asleep. Progress!!! :bunny:

In Light,

Ronni