People who mix Christianity with holistic beliefs

LookAtThisPOst

I met a few single women in my life, one recently comes to mind is a declared Christian...but also talks a lot of holistic things. I found it odd that on OK Cupid that she finds Christianity "Extremely important", but finds that astrological signs in finding a compatible match as being an important factor for compatibility.

Therein lies the contradiction, because such Christians don't believe in astrology ,yes?

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

Syncretism is pretty common. Any Christian whose celebration of Easter includes eggs and bunnies may be doing the same thing.

I don't spend much time worrying about it.

• Like 6
Syncretism is pretty common. Any Christian whose celebration of Easter includes eggs and bunnies may be doing the same thing.

I don't spend much time worrying about it.

Pretty much. Christianity, as you know it, is mingled with paganism to the point that I think God is disgusted. It's not just a legalistic issue of holidays, astrology, etc. It's the very roots of pagan thought which has metastasized into the church. Thus we have Joel Osteen, a pantheist and paganist who used christianese terminology and passes himself off as being biblical.

Incidentally, there are 7 (seven) holidays which God has commanded us to observe. How many of these do you think the church observes? ZERO. Even the most holy day in gods eyes, Passover, is not observed by Christians.

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
Pretty much. Christianity, as you know it, is mingled with paganism to the point that I think God is disgusted. It's not just a legalistic issue of holidays, astrology, etc. It's the very roots of pagan thought which has metastasized into the church. Thus we have Joel Osteen, a pantheist and paganist who used christianese terminology and passes himself off as being biblical.

Incidentally, there are 7 (seven) holidays which God has commanded us to observe. How many of these do you think the church observes? ZERO. Even the most holy day in gods eyes, Passover, is not observed by Christians.

Wow, I have a lot of Christian friends on Facebook that are always posting Joel Olsteen articles and such, some have become avid followers of his works. That's certainly revealing.

I know the Catholic church have their holy days of obligation.

Joel Olsteen's weath has nothing to do with being blessed by God b/c he's been doing God's work. His teachings are fraught with biblical misconceptions, distortions. He is also a collosal supporter of the vicious and material-bound teachings of the Prosperity Gospel.

I hear that his preachings are commonly absent of any key scriptural foundation, but he preaches in a manner that "suggests" that it is from scripture. I can't say for sure, but Property Gospel demogogues tend to preach around the word by embellishing, extrapolating.

• Like 3

LATP,

Therein lies the contradiction, because such Christians don't believe in astrology ,yes

Hmmm, now you are raising an interesting idea.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+2%3A1-12

So it would seem that Astrology had a hand in helping the Magi (Three wise men) to find the baby Jesus.

So, to say that "Christians don't believe in astrology" seems a bit odd to me :)

Wow, I have a lot of Christian friends on Facebook that are always posting Joel Olsteen articles and such, some have become avid followers of his works. That's certainly revealing.

I know the Catholic church have their holy days of obligation.

Why is this surprising to you? The very people who went to temple and claimed to be followers of God in Jesus' day rejected God when he came in human form (ie, Jesus). Only a few accepted him. Likewise, Jesus said his followers are few. That's his phrase, not mine. The church overall today is a spiritual prostitute. Please don't confuse what I'm saying as "holier than thou". I'm not criticizing people for their sin. All have sinned. I have sinned. But there are many WITHIN THE CHURCH who don't love the truth. It's a hatred of the truth, regardless of whether you call yourself Christian or not, that will destroy you and condemn you.

Edited by aurelius99
LATP,

Hmmm, now you are raising an interesting idea.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+2%3A1-12

So it would seem that Astrology had a hand in helping the Magi (Three wise men) to find the baby Jesus.

So, to say that "Christians don't believe in astrology" seems a bit odd to me :)

Astrology has truth to it. Even the bible mentions a constellation. And the wise men knew of Jesus' arrival based on studying the stars.

HOWEVER, it is my opinion after researching this topic that the original knowledge and the original purpose for astrology has been adulterated and warped for Satan's purpose--as all things seem to be in this world. But you cannot say that astrology contains no truth. That's an ignorant statement.

• Like 1
I met a few single women in my life, one recently comes to mind is a declared Christian...but also talks a lot of holistic things. I found it odd that on OK Cupid that she finds Christianity "Extremely important", but finds that astrological signs in finding a compatible match as being an important factor for compatibility.

Therein lies the contradiction, because such Christians don't believe in astrology ,yes?

I only know the term 'holistic' in the context of human body. But I see where you're going.

What about Halloween? It strikes me as odd that a nation with so many Christians have a massive Pagan celebration.

As far as astrology goes, I think I'd have trouble taking someone seriously if they they set a lot of store in it. If I was OLD and saw that a person viewed it as part of the compatibility process, it would be an automatic 'next' for me.

I only know the term 'holistic' in the context of human body. But I see where you're going.

What about Halloween? It strikes me as odd that a nation with so many Christians have a massive Pagan celebration.

As far as astrology goes, I think I'd have trouble taking someone seriously if they they set a lot of store in it. If I was OLD and saw that a person viewed it as part of the compatibility process, it would be an automatic 'next' for me.

Most Christians are frauds.

I say this not about their character, per se, nor about their sin. I say this merely about their worldview which completely contradicts the bible. Most of them are merely Christian by name but have no interest in truth, righteousness, and pursuing the kingdom of God. To them, it's all about happiness and living for this world.

• Like 1
Most Christians are frauds.

To them, it's all about happiness and living for this world.

Do Jesus teachings show to be law abiding, take the good path and be kind hearted toward all others? Surely living by 'the way' taught leads to happiness/joy in this world?

Does not the 'Spirit' permeate all thoughtful teachings that bring inner peace and harmony with others?

Do Jesus teachings show to be law abiding, take the good path and be kind hearted toward all others? Surely living by 'the way' taught leads to happiness/joy in this world?

Does not the 'Spirit' permeate all thoughtful teachings that bring inner peace and harmony with others?

Jesus promised that his disciples would be "hated" because of him.

Yes, he promised that that we would overcome, but the process will be rife with trials and tribulations. The version of Christianity that you're "surely" talking about is what makes sense to a fallen human mind.

Yes, he promised that that we would overcome, but the process will be rife with trials and tribulations. The version of Christianity that you're "surely" talking about is what makes sense to a fallen human mind.

This is typical of ALL religions. You convince your followers that they are on the true path by witnessing the hate they receive. What is ironic, is that they, the "true" followers rarely, if ever, put to light the hate that they perpetrate. Jesus's teachings are absent of the vast majority of followers b/c they are incapable of following them. I have never, in my life, seen a decent Christian, one who follows Jesus' teachings persecuted or ridiculed. They are some of the most loving people around. But, the current level of anti-religious sentiment you are seeing are targeted at the hypocrites and they are MANY.

American Christians, especially, are corrupt. They freely mingle their capitalistic, materialistic views with Jesus' teachings. I find it humorous that today's political stage has so many so-called Christians claiming to be persecuted. They are, by no means, experiencing the persecution, alienation, bias that they placed on others for hundreds of years in this country. What christians today are complaining about is the level of push-back they are getting for the centuries of hypocrisy that they can no longer protect within the comforts of a compliant society.

I saw and do see people with bumper stickers that say to the effect: "I am no ashamed to be a Christian." I find the sticker humorous. For as long as this country has existed, it was chic to ridicule and condemn those who didn't share their beliefs. Now that people are more and more calling-out their hypocrisy, they feel threatened. I wonder what that person means when he/she says "Christian."

Edited by simpleNfit
  • Like 2

Jesus was addressing his disciples 1970 years ago in Judea before the advent of Palestine or Christianity as we know it. For sure they would have a hard time, introducing a new covenant would never be easy.

Life is full of trials, that is life. It should not prevent one from being kind or experiencing joy.

The Christianity I am talking about can be found in Matthew Chapters 5,6 and 7

Jersey born raised

Long before Galileo claimed the world is round a pope issued a bull on the concept saying while the bible is sound, our understanding of it is often wrong. In short what is- is, what is not-is not.

To claim proofs based on astrology on any reason other than that which god empowered them with would be heresy in their view.

There is no heresy per say in proving scientific facts. The heresy occurs in their mis use and denying god create the agency that causes them to be so. Hence the expression: theology is the Queen of all science.

A subtle difference but an important one.

Jesus was addressing his disciples 1970 years ago in Judea before the advent of Palestine or Christianity as we know it. For sure they would have a hard time, introducing a new covenant would never be easy.

Oh boy, here we have classic relativist. "What Jesus said really doesn't apply to us today." That's ultimately what you're saying.

The Christianity I am talking about can be found in Matthew Chapters 5,6 and 7

I prefer the entirety of Scripture. Almost every false doctrine originates from choosing one aspect of Scripture while ignoring the others.

Long before Galileo claimed the world is round a pope issued a bull on the concept saying while the bible is sound, our understanding of it is often wrong. In short what is- is, what is not-is not.

To claim proofs based on astrology on any reason other than that which god empowered them with would be heresy in their view.

There is no heresy per say in proving scientific facts. The heresy occurs in their mis use and denying god create the agency that causes them to be so. Hence the expression: theology is the Queen of all science.

A subtle difference but an important one.

Interesting. I have always entertained the idea that a divine entity was/is the progenitor to natural mechanisms we observe today..."theology is the Queen of all Science....hmmm.....never heard that before. Cannot have been from the conservative Christian world, or 'traditional' Christian world as they oppose scientific mechanisms as we understand them and only adhere to the absoluteness of God. Is this from a more progressive Christian value system?

Interesting. I have always entertained the idea that a divine entity was/is the progenitor to natural mechanisms we observe today..."theology is the Queen of all Science....hmmm.....never heard that before. Cannot have been from the conservative Christian world, or 'traditional' Christian world as they oppose scientific mechanisms as we understand them and only adhere to the absoluteness of God. Is this from a more progressive Christian value system?

What you're proposing is called Deism--that an impersonal God (more akin to a force) created the world and set everything in motion, but doesn't intervene, interact, or even care.

The God of Scripture is a person. He has a specific character, which can be learned about by reading Scripture and by having the Holy Spirit reveal him to you.

"What Jesus said really doesn't apply to us today." That's ultimately what you're saying.

I must have missed where I said that, could you highlight it?

• Like 1
What you're proposing is called Deism--that an impersonal God (more akin to a force) created the world and set everything in motion, but doesn't intervene, interact, or even care.

The God of Scripture is a person. He has a specific character, which can be learned about by reading Scripture and by having the Holy Spirit reveal him to you.

I am all too aware of the scriptures. I, too, was convinced of what your second paragraph is proposing. Yes, the 'living' god, as described in scripture would be 'revealed' to me. That is, his described nature. No guarantee at all that HE would be revealed to me. Any and everyone can 'learn' about the Jesus you speak, but that can be true of Mohammed in the Koran, the God from the Torah, the Jesus from the Book of Mormons, etc.

Yes, I am familiar with Deism. That, I believe would be a more fitting belief system to have as whatever God exists seems to have little grasp, control of this world and his own followers.

I am all too aware of the scriptures. I, too, was convinced of what your second paragraph is proposing. Yes, the 'living' god, as described in scripture would be 'revealed' to me. That is, his described nature. No guarantee at all that HE would be revealed to me. Any and everyone can 'learn' about the Jesus you speak, but that can be true of Mohammed in the Koran, the God from the Torah, the Jesus from the Book of Mormons, etc.

Yes, I am familiar with Deism. That, I believe would be a more fitting belief system to have as whatever God exists seems to have little grasp, control of this world and his own followers.

Regarding your second paragraph here...

Instead of God not having "control", is it possible that he, in supreme wisdom, has given Satan limited authority to do what he wants on earth? Just a thought. (After all this is what the Bible says.)

• Author
LookAtThisPOst

Well there was a psychic I met at a party. She gave me her card. I went to her website and she has on it deep acknowledgementioned of God and Jesus. She claims to have connections with loved ones in heaven. She's been doing this for 20 years, but found it a bit odd that psychics inclue religious doctrine into simple palm readings. Seems a bit snake oily to me.

On okcupid it asked if you believe your signs make for a good match. I said No....but this one other woman said yes but claimed to be highly Christian. She goes to these positive energy seminars and Law of Attraction groups

Like she's created her own hybrid religion. Not sure if I would drink the Kool aid.

Well there was a psychic I met at a party. She gave me her card. I went to her website and she has on it deep acknowledgementioned of God and Jesus. She claims to have connections with loved ones in heaven. She's been doing this for 20 years, but found it a bit odd that psychics inclue religious doctrine into simple palm readings. Seems a bit snake oily to me.

On okcupid it asked if you believe your signs make for a good match. I said No....but this one other woman said yes but claimed to be highly Christian. She goes to these positive energy seminars and Law of Attraction groups

Like she's created her own hybrid religion. Not sure if I would drink the Kool aid.

I would go so far to say this woman represents the NORM within Christianity, not the exception. We are living in the last days and the great apostasy has already begun. The truth is almost never heard of within the walls of church buildings, Christian books, and the church at large. Satanism is cloaked in christian-ese terminology and people swallow it down like kooliaid.

Oh, but I'm just one of those "radical" Christians who is just as dangerous as a terrorist that straps bombs to himself, right? Gotta watch out for those Christians who go around killing people by speaking what is true. :p

Edited by aurelius99
  • Like 1