Is religion a lost cause for someone not raised in the church?

Ok, so I have been thinking here lately that I need SOMETHING in my life..some good things to live by, etc etc.

However, I just don't feel right at church. I tried to go to one this past Easter and I hate to say this but I almost felt like laughing the whole time. It just seemed so....senseless. I saw these perfect little families go up in front of the church and "professions of faith" or whatever it is called. I felt like it was mass brainwashing. It just all seemed so corny to me, and the message seemed like something from the dark ages. Maybe this just isn't my sort of church...is there any such thing as LIBERAL christianity or something more modern/contemporary? I am just not feeling this traditional Christian thing AT ALL. I also thought it was weird how the preacher would read something, then everyone had to repeat the words in bold print under what he would read. It sounded like chanting, and almost creepy.

So, I have been reading a little bit about Buddhism and I think it seems like a good match for me. There isn't really any worship, it's just great guidelines to live by and focuses on meditation and cleansing your mind, letting go of anger. I really like a lot of things about Buddhism. But unfortunately, I live in Kentucky so it's not like there are Buddhist places anywhere around.

I guess what I am asking is how in the world do I find the right "fit"?

Is there any such thing as a liberal christian church? One with more modern beliefs that does not take every bible story as the absolute literal truth?

I'm starting to think that religion is a lost cause for me. No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to believe this stuff 100%. I was not raised in the church, and neither of my parents are religious. I think I mentioned something about this on someone else's thread. I think if you are raised in it, then you believe it and if you aren't then you really can't/ or it's extremely hard to find it plausible. Children's minds are so easily molded, and once you are an adult I just don't see how religion can work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please....

I guess what I am asking is how in the world do I find the right "fit"?

Is there any such thing as a liberal christian church? One with more modern beliefs that does not take every bible story as the absolute literal truth?

I'm starting to think that religion is a lost cause for me. No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to believe this stuff 100%. I was not raised in the church, and neither of my parents are religious. I think I mentioned something about this on someone else's thread. I think if you are raised in it, then you believe it and if you aren't then you really can't/ or it's extremely hard to find it plausible. Children's minds are so easily molded, and once you are an adult I just don't see how religion can work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please....

finding the right fit can take awhile. it sounds like you might enjoy a non-denominational church. also, start asking people in your area. even in the more traditional type christian sects, many churches now offer contemporary services. as far as them not taking the Bible for it's absolute truth, i hope that won't be the case. it is, and if you don't give up the search, you'll find it.

for me, being raised going to church every sunday didn't really make me believe in it. i went several years without practicing my faith, or really living a christian lifestyle.

remember........"faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation". - anonymous

ReluctantRomeo

Organised religion may well be a lost cause for you... I think it is for me too, and I was raised in church.

God and believing communities aren't lost causes though. Why don't you try some more contemporary expressions of christianity? Try googling the name of your town with expressions like "community church" "vineyard" "postmodern christian community" etc.

HokeyReligions

Some people find Bible study a better fit than organized services. Perhaps you can check out a few more churches in your area -- try them a few times and find out about youth groups and Bible Study groups and try going to those. You will be able to open up about your opinions and participate in religion, not sit passively by in a pew and be preached at. I've found that often in Bible study groups the people may have opinions that differ from the sermons they have heard and a good minister will be able to listen to those in the Bible study and learn himself and apply those changes to his own preaching methods.

Then again, you are in Kentucky and, like me in the Bible Belt, change comes very slowly if at all! ;)

That's just my opinion based on my own experiences. I'm agnostic but I respect other's beliefs.

I would recommend a non-denominational (or inter-denominational) church. You may find that they fit your needs more on your level. Do you have any of those nearby?

Mine is inter-denominational (BYOR - Bring your own religion). We don't have a 'membership' per se and no one calls to harass you if you miss. You either come, or ya don't. It ain't no thang. :)

Congrats on your journey! And I hope you find all that you are looking for.

ThumbingMyWay
Originally posted by YX32Nemesis

Ok, so I have been thinking here lately that I need SOMETHING in my life..some good things to live by, etc etc.

Seriously....if you are looking....and have just slightly considered christiananity...then read this book...you WONT be disappointed.....and if you do read it....I would seriouly like to know how you felt about it....so let me know if you do....

"A Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren.

This book changed the attitude of my heart and broke down all the stereotypes that I associated with christainanity.

...is there any such thing as LIBERAL christianity or something more modern/contemporary? I am just not feeling this traditional Christian thing AT ALL.

I was the same way....it seemed stupid and structured to me....which it is. BUT, what I have learned through study...what Jesus meant.....Each of us are individuals...and our relationship with him is personal. Yes, he likes us to go to church....and to tell ya the truth, i could do with out the singing and stuff....but i really love to hear the lesson and sermon.....I mean when I truely listen with my heart I get its meaning....but when i listened with my ears, i heard nothing...does that make sense?

Anyways...I go to a Luthuren Chruch and I believe they are NOT as structured as the other christain demoninations.....I realy like it casue its free and open....and its all about loving and helping one another....I never feel like anyone is better than any one else there.....its NOT like a catholic church, were I felt as if their was a hiarchy of members...nothing against catholics, but i think hipocrisy is rampted in the catholic chruch....

anyways....hope you find what your looking for....

is there any such thing as LIBERAL christianity or something more modern/contemporary?

Sure. But if you're in the Bible belt, most of the churches may be more hardline than some churches elsewhere. I'm a Catholic and I've attended more and less relaxed churches.

I also thought it was weird how the preacher would read something, then everyone had to repeat the words in bold print under what he would read. It sounded like chanting, and almost creepy.

There's reasons for that - and if you attend Buddhist temple you may be totally creeped out because Buddhists chant a LOT. Science now shows us that chanting can change brainwaves - you end up more relaxed and pensive. I suspect most religions have some form of chanting.

So, I have been reading a little bit about Buddhism and I think it seems like a good match for me. There isn't really any worship, it's just great guidelines to live by and focuses on meditation and cleansing your mind, letting go of anger. I really like a lot of things about Buddhism. But unfortunately, I live in Kentucky so it's not like there are Buddhist places anywhere around.

Are you sure? If you're in one of the cities, I imagine there should be one. You can also check out B'hai and Quaker (Friends) services if you want something very different.

Personally, I think the first thing you have to do is decide which religion you want to incorporate into your life. Just picking Christianity because there's a church in your area doesn't mean it's a good match. While there may not actually be a Buddhist Temple in your area, there may be a location where people go to offer prayers.

As a Buddhist, I advise you to determine which sect you wish to follow. There are many different branches of Buddhism, much like Christianity, and each has their own approach for the religion. You can determine which speaks to you by researching on your own. There are quite a lot of books available regarding Buddhism. Personally, I follow the Theravada form which follows the original teachings of Buddha during his life. After his death there were a series of four council meetings. In the second council meeting, the council split in two. Two sects were formed: Theravada ( the original sect) and Mahayana. There are additional sub-groupings within those two sects.

Buddhism is a beautiful religion. Even if you decide it's not the right path for you, it may be interesting to research it anyway.

ReluctantRomeo
Originally posted by Pocky

Buddhism is a beautiful religion. Even if you decide it's not the right path for you, it may be interesting to research it anyway.

So, satisfy my curiosity.... tell me in a couple of short paragraphs what Buddhism means to you. This will be fun. :bunny:

I can do the same for christianity if you like :)

I grew up in an atheist household. Well, by that I mean my dad was an atheist, my mom was a nominal catholic, and we never went to church.

When I was in my late teens, I started reading about religion in general. I always felt drawn to it, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense. I was trying to think rationally on issues of faith. My hunger was not satisfied.

After many many years I finally found what clicked for me. I am a non-denominational Christian. I do lots of reading and studying, alone and with friends. I don't normally attend church services.

The fact that you feel that need in your life is very telling, and I would totally continue to pursue it. Don't despair when stuff doesn't seem to make sense and you find it kind of funny or ridiculous. Eventually it will all come together. And when it does -- well, then there's nothing that can compare!

Wow Susie, that sounds a lot like my background. My dad was an atheist, in that he does not believe in God, but does not have a problem with those that do. My mom is a Catholic in name, mostly because she came from a Catholic family, and took us to church from time to time.

I have always believed in God, but did not want to call myself a Christian just so I could fit in with my friends. Free, fair, open, and empirical thinking are very important to me, and I got turned off by people who advertised themselves as Christians who were very narrow-minded, judgmental, and whose every opinion was based on their interpretation of their faith, which contradicted some of the teachings of the Bible. That is not the Christian I want to be.

Like Thumb, I would also give a big thumbs up to the Purpose Driven Life. If you do not go to church regularly or have not delved into Christianity before, this is a good book to get. It keeps it simple, logical, and is anything but fire and brimstone. I have read it all the way through once and am incorporating some of the principles into my life more. I do feel a growing sense of purpose I never had before. I have not yet found a Church to call home, but I will be moving shortly and will look for one after I do

I think your quest for a religion is a quest for a meaning in life and that's not necessarily related to dedicating yourself to a religion. Belief and faith happen, it's not something that you can force, just as you can't force attraction to another person.

I somehow have the feeling that your interest in going to church has something to do with your ex, that's a bad reason. ;)

Originally posted by Pocky

I agree... in my heart I'm a Buddhist, even though I don't belong to any sect in particular. That's the beauty of Buddhism. It's all about inner peace, and the manner in which you approach suffering. By suffering, I mean knowing that you are mortal and that you accept the trials of life without a grudge, because you know progress can only come when it's accompanied by sweat, pain, and endurance.

Buddhism requires no ordinance of any kind... it's strictly what's in your heart, and it accommodates other religious principles, because theology is secondary to what's most important... inner peace.

Thanks, Pocky. I agree with you 100 percent. :)