Torture and Jesus

BetheButterfly

Jesus Christ was cruelly tortured and killed. Even many Non-Christian scholars agree that this happened. Unlike Non-Christians, Christians believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead! However, this thread isn't about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but rather the torture Jesus Christ experienced.

What do you think about the torture Jesus Christ endured, and why? Do you believe Christians should torture other people, and why/why not?

While Jesus Christ never commanded his followers to persecute others, He did tell them that they would be persecuted for His sake (Matthew 5:10-12; 24:9). While they did not understand Him then, they did eventually endure persecution, including torture in some cases.

Torture is a form of persecution.

Jesus Christ endured torture from humankind for humankind. He also forgave his torturers (Luke 23:34). Following his example, the first Christian martyr, Stephen, forgave the people who tortured him to death by stoning him (Acts 7:60).

Thousands of people have tortured other people throughout human history. :( However, not so many people have forgiven their torturers. This is understandable. What do you think about that?

Personally, I believe the torture Jesus Christ endured fulfills Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22.

Isaiah 53 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

Psalms 22 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

While I'm so sad that Jesus Christ was tortured and killed, as well as most of His followers who had walked and talked with Him, I am so grateful for the reason He allowed Himself to be tortured, as well as for His resurrection and His promised return (that hasn't happened yet)! This in my opinion is a greater strength than the supposed strength of torturers.

Blessings

TheFinalWord
What do you think about the torture Jesus Christ endured, and why? Do you believe Christians should torture other people, and why/why not?

The physical torture Christ endured was excruciating; however, I believe the spiritual torture He endured is something none of us can comprehend. When He was on the cross and cried "

", he was separated from the Father. We can never really fathom what He endured during that moment.

I guess to answer the second question, we kind of need to know how you define torture. Is there an expert opinion? Such as a particular pain threshold? For example, I know some of these methods include sleep deprivation, loud music, etc. I'm not sure if that is "torture" or not.

Generally speaking, I see individuals operating under government authority differently from an individuals that take the Law into their own hands. For example, I believe a soldier following orders from the government to kill the enemy during war is not a sin. But if I on my own accord murder someone, yes that is a sin.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 2
  • Author
BetheButterfly
The physical torture Christ endured was excruciating;

True.

however, I believe the spiritual torture He endured is something none of us can comprehend. When He was on the cross and cried "

", he was separated from the Father. We can never really fathom what He endured during that moment.

100% agreed. Very important point and eloquently stated.

I guess to answer the second question, we kind of need to know how you define torture. Is there an expert opinion? Such as a particular pain threshold? For example, I know some of these methods include sleep deprivation, loud music, etc. I'm not sure if that is "torture" or not."

Torture =

"the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.

Torture | Define Torture at Dictionary.com

Any act of intentionally inflicting pain for the above reasons = torture.

The pain a medical doctor causes is of course not torture because the pain's purpose is not to punish, for revenge, or to get "a confession, information, or for sheer cruelty" but rather to heal her patient.

Generally speaking, I see individuals operating under government authority differently from an individuals that take the Law into their own hands. For example, I believe a soldier following orders from the government to kill the enemy during war is not a sin. But if I on my own accord murder someone, yes that is a sin.
Understood. Each Christian needs to decide to what extent they will obey God.

Jesus Christ submitted to the Father's Will and endured tremendous physical torture, and even worse spiritual torture, as you so rightly pointed out.

Because of His suffering, He inspired His followers to endure torture and persecution. His apostles followed His example and endured torture/persecution for His namesake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6orRaopjUBQ

"How the Apostles Were Tortured to Death"

The torture and death of Jesus Christ has a purpose: to save people from their sins. He forgave those who tortured and killed Him, including the soldiers who were just doing their job. The mocking with the crown of thorns showed that some soldiers were enjoying their job too. Jesus forgave them and those who rejected Him. He gave us the example to forgive even those who torture us.

As in the days of old, believers of God suffered torture for His sake (Hebrews 11:35-38), so some Christians are suffering persecution in different places around the world. May God comfort them and give them strength. It is so easy to be a Christian where we are not tortured and persecuted for our faith; yet it is so amazing how God gives supernatural love and strength to Christians who endure torture and persecution out of love for Jesus.

May God bless you as we commemorate the physical and spiritual torture and death of our Lord (Master) Jesus Christ, and as we prepare to rejoice in the commemoration of His resurrection from the dead! May God prepare us to be ready for His return!

TheFinalWord
True.

100% agreed. Very important point and eloquently stated.

Torture =

"the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.

Torture | Define Torture at Dictionary.com

Any act of intentionally inflicting pain for the above reasons

I guess I am asking for a scientific definition of torture. Pain is relative and often largely psychological. Dictionary definitions are often vague and subjective. Is there a scientific definition of what constitutes torture.