Easter and Passover

BetheButterfly

Yesterday Christians in different places of the world celebrated Palm Sunday, which is very beautiful! :) I love Palm Sunday! :love: Palm Sunday celebrates the fulfillment of the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9.

Zechariah 9 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

I am curious about something though. Why is the Christian calendar so different from the Jewish calendar?

The events celebrated on modern "Palm Sunday" happened around 5 days before Passover. (I boldened some.)

"Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead." - John 12:1 (NIV)

"The next day the great crowd that had come for the festival heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem. They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting,“Hosanna! [A Hebrew expression meaning “Save!” which became an exclamation of praise]”

“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”[Psalm 118:25,26]

“Blessed is the king of Israel!”

Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written:

“Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion;

see, your king is coming,

seated on a donkey’s colt.”[Zech. 9:9]

At first his disciples did not understand all this. Only after Jesus was glorified did they realize that these things had been written about him and that these things had been done to him." - John 12:12-16 (NIV)

The Passover this year isn't until April 23, correct? So, why is Palm Sunday and Easter around a month earlier?

Since Jesus Christ is Jewish and fulfills Jewish law and prophecies (though many Jewish people disagree with that, which is their right and freedom), shouldn't Christians including myself follow more the Jewish calendar?

amaysngrace

I'm not sure if there's an explanation for it but my best guess would be that it has to do with Jesus' birth and the fact that we acknowledge it and they don't.

But I have no idea if that's correct.

• Like 1
  • Author
BetheButterfly
I'm not sure if there's an explanation for it but my best guess would be that it has to do with Jesus' birth and the fact that we acknowledge it and they don't.

But I have no idea if that's correct.

There are Jewish Christians, but many do not observe the Jewish festivals festivals accounted in the Tanakh, like Jesus Christ did. Many do however. Many Messianic Jews observe the Passover and Jesus' death/resurrection at the same time, which is cool! :)

• Like 1
  • Author
BetheButterfly

Thanks Amaysingrace! I need to go to work but hope to read it afterwards.

Blessings :) Love you even though we disagree in some areas, like you know who lol :) Hugs!:bunny::love:

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Thanks Amaysingrace! I need to go to work but hope to read it afterwards.

Blessings :) Love you even though we disagree in some areas, like you know who lol :) Hugs!:bunny::love:

Have a good day dear! :love::)

• Like 1
  • Author
BetheButterfly

Great blog!

This is really cool: "The Feast of Passover: The feast of Passover is embedded within the minds and hearts of anyone who has grown up in the Judeo-Christian tradition, especially in the past 50 years, when the Exodus narrative and the institution of passover have become a favorite topic among film-makers. This, of course, is the foundational feast that becomes the Christian commemoration of the Resurrection of Christ. Most of the Christian world (outside of German and English-speaking countries) have not even changed the name of the feast, which was borrowed into Greek from Aramaic as “Pascha.”

https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/departinghoreb/why-do-christians-not-celebrate-jewish-feasts/

The part I boldened reminded me that in Spanish, Passover and Easter are both called Pascua.

Since Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God, Passover has important relevance to his suffering, death and resurrection from the dead!

The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar, so it's festivals do not usually coincide with the solar calendar in general use.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author
BetheButterfly
The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar, so it's festivals do not usually coincide with the solar calendar in general use.

The Jewish calendar is really interesting. :)

It does make me sad in a way that the Christian observance changed dates and doesn't follow the Jewish calendar anymore.

One of my Catholic friends helped me find when it started to change. The change started during the lifetime of Polycarp. Polycarp went to Rome to discuss with the Roman Bishop (the Pope) about not changing the date. They disagreed, but at that time, the Roman Pope did not try to force other bishops to obey his orders. Rather, they agreed to disagree.

"The most notable, extant example of Polycarp's tact, diplomacy, and personal piety can be seen in accounts of his visit to Rome during the reign of Anicetus, a fellow Syrian, as Bishop of Rome (ca. 154-167 C.E.).

During his visit, Polycarp discovered that he and the Roman community differed with regards to their customs for observing the Paschal Feast, with Polycarp following the eastern practice of celebrating Passover on the 14th of Nisan, the day of the Jewish Passover, regardless of what day of the week it fell."

Saint Polycarp - New World Encyclopedia

"Though the two could not agree on the proper form of observance, their disagreement was concluded in an open, mutually-supportive manner that could have provided an excellent example for the resolution of later doctrinal and praxical disputes:"

This weekend is Passover!!! If God wills, my hubby and I are going to observe Passover with Messianic Jews! :) I'm so excited!!! :)

Is anyone else planning on observing the Passover?

Edited by BetheButterfly

Often the two are observed around the same time. Last year both Good Friday and the start of Passover were on April 3rd. This is the first time in a long time that they are noticeably far apart. That's unusual, I think.

That being said, even within the Christian tradition, dates vary. Eastern Orthodox Christians celebrate Palm Sunday and the Easter holiday a week later than Roman Catholics and western Christians. I spent a spring in Russia as a student, and it was really wonderful to celebrate Easter twice. :) Surprisingly, it seemed more meaningful there. Here in the US, the focus seems to be lost on Easter egg hunts, Easter bunnies, chocolate bunnies, and, cute pastel spring outfits. There, even though everyone was "areligious" (all my local friends were atheists), the observance and celebrations were focused on hope and Christ's death and resurrection...and very well attended! The churches I visited were all ornately beautiful and brimming with people. I hadn't expected that.

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 2
Polycarp went to Rome to discuss with the Roman Bishop (the Pope) about not changing the date. They disagreed, but at that time, the Roman Pope did not try to force other bishops to obey his orders. Rather, they agreed to disagree.

Saint Polycarp - New World Encyclopedia

"Though the two could not agree on the proper form of observance, their disagreement was concluded in an open, mutually-supportive manner that could have provided an excellent example for the resolution of later doctrinal and praxical disputes:"

We have to remember that today's power structures and leadership hierarchies haven't always existed. They evolved over time.

If I recall my high school social studies correctly, bishops didn't exist until late in the first or early in the second century AD, even in Rome. As Christianity grew and spread, a more complex leadership structure grew into place. Eventually, there were many bishops throughout the early Christian world, all of whom were referred to as "pope." One bishop couldn't order other bishops around in the early Church. So they would discuss and try to negotiate. By the tenth century, the hegemony of the Roman bishop over those in Greece and elsewhere in the West, resulted in that title ("Pope") only being used by the Roman bishop in Western Christianity. By then all other bishops in what eventually became the Catholic Church deferred to him as arbiter of the Christian religion and proper practice. In the East, the bishop in Constantinople rose similarly in prominence but never gained quite the same unquestioning deference and loyalty from other bishops in the East that the Roman bishop got from bishops in the West.

While there are minor differences between the first two major branches of Christianity, and with the various offshoots from the Catholic Church (Anglicans, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, etc.), the fundamental beliefs are the same. Bottom line is all Christians believe that Christ came down to earth in human form via immaculate conception, lived a sinless life, died for our sins, and rose three days later in fulfillment of biblical prophecy and God's promise to us.:)That's what matters. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether we celebrate and remember those key events on March 27th, April 3rd, April 15th, or some other date in spring. As long as we remember the true meaning of Easter.

For the record, in the West, we observe it on the first Sunday after the first full moon in the spring...or the first Sunday after the full moon closest to the vernal equinox. The Jewish calendar also follows a lunar calendar, but since there's such a big difference this year, how they pick the date for Passover must be somewhat different.

Have fun celebrating Passover.

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 1

Is anyone else planning on observing the Passover?

Not this year. I've celebrated it and a handful of other key Jewish holidays with friends who practice Judaism in the past.

You may have a hard time with a couple of things--specifically, the significance of setting an extra place at the table and the discussion of waiting for the prophecy to be fulfilled (since we believe it has been fulfilled). That being said, I enjoyed each celebration I attended, and learned something new each time.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
Since Jesus Christ is Jewish and fulfills Jewish law and prophecies (though many Jewish people disagree with that, which is their right and freedom), shouldn't Christians including myself follow more the Jewish calendar?

Ultimately, following Judaic traditions to the tee isn't necessary, and can even turn into a pitfall. It may actually distract you from your faith. Well-intentioned Pharisees became so obsessed with religious law and customs, and making sure that everyone followed it to the tee, that they were no longer focused on being righteous and the state of their heart. Christ often used them as an example for this reason.

Early churches in Galatia, Colossus, and elsewhere struggled with how closely to follow Judaic laws and practice. Paul, in addressing their ongoing debate on whether new converts needed to be circumcised, etc. basically said it's unnecessary. What matters is your heart: accepting Christ's gift of salvation and following Christ in your attitude, spirit, and actions.

For example: Galatians 5:1-6 (ESV)

1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified[a] by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

There are several passages in Galatians and Colossians about this.

Personally, I think it's great to acknowledge the history behind some of our major events, but it's not necessary to following the underlying practices. It's nice to understand other religions and their major celebrations too. But it's not "more right" to celebrate Good Friday on the first day of Passover rather than in March.

The key is to recognize and celebrate the resurrection, which unfortunately most Jews believe has not yet happened.

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 1
  • Author
BetheButterfly
Ultimately, following Judaic traditions to the tee isn't necessary, and can even turn into a pitfall.

Good point. That's why the apostles who walked and talked with Jesus Christ didn't force Gentile believers to follow all the commands of Moses, yeah?

It may actually distract you from your faith.
I think going totally the opposite can distract people from faith too, and cause people to forget what Christ/Messiah/Mashiach even means.

Well-intentioned Pharisees became so obsessed with religious law and customs, and making sure that everyone followed it to the tee, that they were no longer focused on being righteous and the state of their heart. Christ often used them as an example for this reason.
Very eloquently stated and very true. Thanks for pointing that out.

Early churches in Galatia, Colossus, and elsewhere struggled with how closely to follow Judaic laws and practice. Paul, in addressing their ongoing debate on whether new converts needed to be circumcised, etc. basically said it's unnecessary.

True. However, in Paul's time, many Gentile believers did not have an anti-Jewish stance. There's a big difference between Gentiles and Jews not observing the law of Moses versus a decidedly anti-Jewish stance that motivated many Gentile Christians, including Martin Luther - a leading Protestant, to hate Jews. :(

This is very disturbing and against what Jesus Christ taught. I don't think that Gentiles hating Jews was what Paul (who is Jewish) had in mind when he told Gentiles that they didn't have to obey Judaic law.

What matters is your heart: accepting Christ's gift of salvation and following Christ in your attitude, spirit, and actions.

For example: Galatians 5:1-6 (ESV)

There are several passages in Galatians and Colossians about this.

Amen! :love:

Personally, I think it's great to acknowledge the history behind some of our major events, but it's not necessary to following the underlying practices.
Very important point. Thanks.

It's nice to understand other religions and their major celebrations too.

True.

But it's not "more right" to celebrate Good Friday on the first day of Passover rather than in March.
Polycarp though seemed to think it was a good idea to follow what the Apostle John, and ultimately what Jesus Christ, did.

Jesus Christ is Jewish and followed the Tanakh; His disciples did too. All His apostles, including Paul, are Jewish. Peter didn't even enter a Gentile's house until after receiving the revelation from God that Gentiles were now "clean" too. Do you think he stopped observing Passover?

The key is to recognize and celebrate the resurrection, which unfortunately most Jews believe has not yet happened.
More and more Jewish people are deciding to trust in Jesus Christ though, which is cool! However, it's important for Christians, whether Jewish or Gentile, to not force anybody or persecute anybody for not accepting Christ.

One of my favorite scholars, Dr. Michael Brown, who is Jewish, wrote a very sobering book titled, "Our Hands Are Stained with Blood" that talks about how Christians have disobeyed Jesus Christ and persecuted Jewish people. :( This persecution of course hasn't helped many Jewish people to freely decide to accept Yeshua (Jesus) as the Mashiach (Christ).

One of my Messianic Jewish friends told me that her Mom told her not to read the Christian Bible. Isn't that sad? She was a part of Reform Judaism until she accepted Jesus as the Messiah. How that happened is because one of her friends invited her to church and kept talking about Jesus. She told her that if her friend wouldn't talk to her about Jesus anymore, she would go to church with her. At the church, the pastor talked about Isaiah 53, and that's why she accepted Jesus as the Christ!

Anyways, Jesus is a touchy subject for many Jewish people who haven't accepted Jesus. When I told my Jewish friend that nobody had written in my thread asking about their experiences in Passover, she asked if I mentioned Jesus. I said yes. :o

She laughed and said, well, that's one reason. Another is possibly there aren't many Jewish people who observe Pesach in this discussion forum. Another is that Judaism isn't an evangelistic faith, and is often a very private matter for many Jewish people. So, they are not as likely to talk about different things as much as Christians or Muslims are.

She also told me to watch Samantha Bee's criticism of Kasich. I have to admit, I am guilty of doing the same as Kasich lol. :o I really hope the Jewish people were not offended, cause I don't think Kasich meant to offend them or be condescending, same as I don't mean to offend anyone or be condescending for talking about Jesus. (My Jewish friend knows that and doesn't mind; she thinks Christians are funny sometimes anyway; she has an awesome sense of humor! :bunny:) I respect the right of everyone to reject Jesus and have no desire to force people to believe what I believe.

I love Jesus so much I can't stop talking or writing about Him lol!!! :love:

Anyways, I greatly enjoy Passover songs, and here is another awesome one!

"Dayenu, Coming Home - The Fountainheads Passover Song"

Edited by BetheButterfly
  • Author
BetheButterfly
We have to remember that today's power structures and leadership hierarchies haven't always existed. They evolved over time.

Great point

If I recall my high school social studies correctly, bishops didn't exist until late in the first or early in the second century AD, even in Rome. As Christianity grew and spread, a more complex leadership structure grew into place. Eventually, there were many bishops throughout the early Christian world, all of whom were referred to as "pope." One bishop couldn't order other bishops around in the early Church. So they would discuss and try to negotiate. By the tenth century, the hegemony of the Roman bishop over those in Greece and elsewhere in the West, resulted in that title ("Pope") only being used by the Roman bishop in Western Christianity. By then all other bishops in what eventually became the Catholic Church deferred to him as arbiter of the Christian religion and proper practice. In the East, the bishop in Constantinople rose similarly in prominence but never gained quite the same unquestioning deference and loyalty from other bishops in the East that the Roman bishop got from bishops in the West.

It is sad to me the divisions between Christians based on differences. What's even worse is when Christians persecute people who are not Christians and/or Christians of any group persecute Christians of other groups, no matter their differences. :(

While there are minor differences between the first two major branches of Christianity, and with the various offshoots from the Catholic Church (Anglicans, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, etc.), the fundamental beliefs are the same.
Pretty much, yeah, though I do believe there were/are good reasons for Protestants to protest different doctrines of the Catholic church.

Granted, there are questionable doctrines of Protestants too. For example, Martin Luther became antisemitic. :(

Bottom line is all Christians believe that Christ came down to earth in human form via immaculate conception,

Immaculate conception is a Catholic belief concerning Mary. However, most all Christians (including me) do believe that Jesus was conceived asexually (no sex involved) via the miraculous power of the Holy Spirit. While Mary was a virgin when Jesus was supernaturally conceived, many Christians (and I) believe that Mary and Joseph had kids the natural way after Jesus was born - whose brothers and sisters are mentioned in Mark 6:3.

lived a sinless life, died for our sins, and rose three days later in fulfillment of biblical prophecy and God's promise to us. :)

Amen! :love:

That's what matters. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether we celebrate and remember those key events on March 27th, April 3rd, April 15th, or some other date in spring. As long as we remember the true meaning of Easter.

I understand. That reminds me of what Paul said to the believers in Galatia:

"But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you." - Galatians 4:9-11 (NIV)

The thing is, many Christians nowadays do observe special days and months and seasons and years, including Christmas and Easter with their months and seasons.

I understand why Messianic congregations do observe Passover, cause Jesus did and because Yeshua (Jesus) is the fulfillment of the Passover! :love:

For the record, in the West, we observe it on the first Sunday after the first full moon in the spring...or the first Sunday after the full moon closest to the vernal equinox. The Jewish calendar also follows a lunar calendar, but since there's such a big difference this year, how they pick the date for Passover must be somewhat different.
It is interesting how the dates are determined!

Have fun celebrating Passover.
Thanks! :love: I did and the Passover Seder was AWESOME!!

I absolutely loved it! I loved hearing Hebrew and trying to sing Dayenu:

Reminds me of this song!

"The Maccabeats - Passover - Dayenu"

Also, I loved hearing the Torah read in Hebrew, though I didn't understand it till they translated into English. I want to learn Hebrew!!!

My favorite topic of course is hearing how Yeshua is the Passover Lamb and His blood that was shed once for all is the New Covenant. I also loved hearing about how He fulfills the matzah traditions. :love:

Another thing I learned is that this is a time of breaking free from addictions and what enslaves us. Personally, I struggle with addiction to Loveshack :o and a lack of self-control (a fruit of the Spirit) in how much time I'm on here. So, this is my last post on Loveshack for awhile. (My hubby agrees with this.)

May God greatly bless everyone! If God wills, I hope to come back to Loveshack to post once in awhile (not so much as before) and to see how everyone is doing.

Edited by BetheButterfly
It is sad to me the divisions between Christians based on differences. What's even worse is when Christians persecute people who are not Christians and/or Christians of any group persecute Christians of other groups, no matter their differences. :(

I agree! We shouldn't persecute those who don't share our beliefs.

I do understand though why there are different branches of Christianity. Think about it--even the disciples had a difficult time understanding the full scope of everything that Jesus taught them, and they spent all their time with Him for several years.

For example:

Mark 10:35-45 (ESV)

The Request of James and John

35 And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came up to him and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” 36 And he said to them, “What do you want me to do for you?” 37 And they said to him, “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.” 38 Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?” 39 And they said to him, “We are able.” And Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized, 40 but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.” 41 And when the ten heard it, they began to be indignant at James and John. 42 And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43 But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[a] 44 and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

They got to hear the Word directly from Him, yet He still had to correct their misconceptions repeatedly. We are 2000+ years out and don't get personalized teaching and corrective lessons in the same manner they did. We certainly aren't infallible either. For me, the key is to stay open to the Holy Spirit, and to try our best to seek and hear the message that's being delivered to us in our hearts.

Granted, there are questionable doctrines of Protestants too. For example, Martin Luther became antisemitic. :(

I wasn't aware that Martin Luther was antisemitic. That's really too bad as he sought to return Christianity to its roots and the original message in so many other ways. It's a reminder that humans are fallible, flawed, and naturally sinful. That's why it's so challenging to live a Christ-like life. Ultimately, we aren't perfect.

Immaculate conception is a Catholic belief concerning Mary. However, most all Christians (including me) do believe that Jesus was conceived asexually (no sex involved) via the miraculous power of the Holy Spirit. While Mary was a virgin when Jesus was supernaturally conceived, many Christians (and I) believe that Mary and Joseph had kids the natural way after Jesus was born - whose brothers and sisters are mentioned in Mark 6:3.

Oops! I'm not Catholic, and I used the term incorrectly. I was referring to Jesus' conception and birth. I had no idea that the term could be used to refer to Mary's birth and life.:o:o:o That's not in the Bible.

Yes, the Bible definitely refers to Mary and Joseph having children together after Jesus was born.

I understand why Messianic congregations do observe Passover, cause Jesus did and because Yeshua (Jesus) is the fulfillment of the Passover! :love:

Indeed he is!:)

Thanks! :love: I did and the Passover Seder was AWESOME!!

I absolutely loved it! I loved hearing Hebrew and trying to sing Dayenu:

My favorite topic of course is hearing how Yeshua is the Passover Lamb and His blood that was shed once for all is the New Covenant. I also loved hearing about how He fulfills the matzah traditions. :love:

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's a beautiful celebration. That and Rosh Hashanah are my favorite Jewish celebrations.

Another thing I learned is that this is a time of breaking free from addictions and what enslaves us. Personally, I struggle with addiction to Loveshack :o and a lack of self-control (a fruit of the Spirit) in how much time I'm on here. So, this is my last post on Loveshack for awhile.

Bummer!:( You're one of my favorite posters. I do understand the need for balance. Nonetheless, I hope you continue to drop in occasionally to contribute to discussions here and share your views.:)

• Like 1