God's protection or luck?

truthtripper

I have a Fijian friend whose house remained untouched after the recent cyclone(cyclone winston). She firmly believes God saved her house. I believe when such things happen, it's simply luck/chance.

In the eyes of the religious/people who believe in God's protection, why does God protect some people and not others?

• Like 1
bluefeather

watch out because this thread could get filled with many differing opinions spouted as facts, followed by arguing.

I do not believe that God looks out for some and not others. Your friend, whose house got spared, could die tomorrow. Then that house protection could have been worthless.

• Like 1
  • Author
truthtripper
watch out because this thread could get filled with many differing opinions spouted as facts, followed by arguing.

Yes thanks for the warning bluefeather. Some people may find the question provocative. I just wonder how it can be reasoned that the belief of being protected fits in with reality.

People believe what they want. It doesn't matter, IMO, and it's rare that you'll change their minds. So, while I don't believe in God and would say this is simple chance, she believes in divine intervention.

Well, the actual truth is that her house was sparred. Maybe it's God, or chance or karma. As it is not something predictable, irrelevant of the why & how, she cannot rely in The same entity to protect her in the future. As she puts it, it's God's Will, and God may decide in any direction.

You ought to ask her why she thinks "God" only spared HER house? Weren't none of the others religious? Even if they weren't I thought he was suppose to be this all loving being?

Reminds me of a picture I received on FB. Showed a car accident then it said "Thank God for protecting you". Well what about all the other thousands that die every year from car accidents? Where was God then? The default response is "it was just their time to go". Funny how so many people when it's their time to die just happen to be driving a car. Why couldn't God let them die in their sleep?

I do not for one minute believe in this God hogwash. People are either brainwashed from childhood OR they are reaching out to something bigger because of depression, fear etc… I am always so amazed what comes out of peoples mouths. It's not logical by ANY means and it makes some people just look a little foolish.

Some friends of mine who were boyfriend/girlfriend (very nice people but over the top crazy religious freaks) got into a bad car accident. Got hit by a train. Her sister who was in the car was in a coma for two weeks. She had her whole face rearranged, broken back, etc… He was lucky and only had broken ribs. I asked them one day why do you think God let this happen? Their response was that it was a test of faith. LMFAO!!! Test of faith? I said if that is the test you need to go through then count me out! So you will never win with these people. They say the damest things because they have to in order for everything to make sense.

• Like 1

Most doctrines state that it rains on the just and unjust. Also, the omnipotent will chastise us. It's impossible to say why her house was spared, yet others weren't. To her, her belief and Faith spared her and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1
  • Author
truthtripper
People believe what they want. It doesn't matter, IMO, and it's rare that you'll change their minds. So, while I don't believe in God and would say this is simple chance, she believes in divine intervention.

I think it does matter-believing she was protected, gives my friend an air of superiority which I find offensive.

I think it does matter-believing she was protected, gives my friend an air of superiority which I find offensive.

I don't blame you, so would I.

Personal experience and observation have taught me over the years to believe that sh*t happens. To be prudent is a good thing but is no guarantee of bliss. Bad things happen to good people and good things to really vile people.

The ego and lack of introspect lead people to believe that random occurrence is tailored specifically for them.

In actuality, I think even if there is a purpose/design to a particular event, it is a domino effect and is no more or less than a chain of energy that frankly is much bigger than our minds/ego are able to wrap themselves around.

Edit to add: This woman could think, as a Christian, that her house was spared to provide shelter and protection for the people who lost theirs.

Edited by Timshel
  • Like 1
  • Author
truthtripper

Edit to add: This woman could think, as a Christian, that her house was spared to provide shelter and protection for the people who lost theirs.

Yes, if it was God's work, that would have been His intention.

• Like 2
Yes, if it was God's work, that would have been His intention.

Haha....It's intention. We are the infantile who have gender issues....:)

• Like 1
  • Author
truthtripper
Haha....It's intention. We are the infantile who have gender issues....:)

......succumbing to convention :p.....in my heart God has no gender :)

......succumbing to convention :p.....in my heart God has no gender :)

Since this is your thread, I won't feel too rotten for hijacking and ask a question based on ^^above about convention.

At this age of my life I have come to the conclusion that pettiness is really not what I want for myself and more so.....for my children, bf, family and every person/living thing ('cept snakes/mosquitos) I have contact with.

If I'm pretty much there at less than a half century and nucklehead that I am, I would like to think the Alpha/Omega....First and Last, Beginning and End would be beyond bored and maybe insulted that we would be of such a small mind to refer to God in a gender specific way.

As if the First would dither or toil, after all this time, if time exists, as to whether It is a girl or boy.

On topic, my belief is.....any person who would toot their own horn and proclaim victory while people around suffer....Empathy would be a goal to set sights on.

Faith in God or not, that would rub me off wrongly too. Kindly remind your friend that self-centeredness is one of the biggest sins so she might not want to go outside when there's a thunderstorm :).

now I understand the sense of your post: she feels "special", chosen by God because her house was not affected. Perhaps even superior to others. That's irritating.

• Like 1
  • Author
truthtripper
Since this is your thread, I won't feel too rotten for hijacking and ask a question based on ^^above about convention.

At this age of my life I have come to the conclusion that pettiness is really not what I want for myself and more so.....for my children, bf, family and every person/living thing ('cept snakes/mosquitos) I have contact with.

If I'm pretty much there at less than a half century and nucklehead that I am, I would like to think the Alpha/Omega....First and Last, Beginning and End would be beyond bored and maybe insulted that we would be of such a small mind to refer to God in a gender specific way.

As if the First would dither or toil, after all this time, if time exists, as to whether It is a girl or boy.

On topic, my belief is.....any person who would toot their own horn and proclaim victory while people around suffer....Empathy would be a goal to set sights on.

I was baptised Roman Catholic and have wrestled with my religion since being carted off to Sunday school as a child. I recently stopped attending church, for reasons relating to the point you mention. Having a faith has helped me through my life's turmoils, but the Catholic Church is out of touch with reality. I am especially angry along with so many other people about it's cover-up of child sexual abuse. I was sexually and spiritually abused by a supposedly devout man(my grandfather) who would sit in the front pew at church every Sunday morning. Despite spending about twenty years in therapy, I still am subconsciously attracted to abusive people and they attracted to me. Despite my awareness of it's social harm, the "religious" drill and indoctrination from my childhood years is also still evident eg.referring to God as "He". Very unfortunately, teaching an old dog new tricks can take a long time :mad:.

Edited by truthtripper
  • Like 1
TheFinalWord
Yes thanks for the warning bluefeather. Some people may find the question provocative. I just wonder how it can be reasoned that the belief of being protected fits in with reality.

Interesting story Jesus told...

Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

The moral of the story is we should focus more on what will happen to us after we die, than worry too much about the manner in which we die.Or if you don't believe in God, worry more about the legacy you will leave behind than worry too much about the manner in which you die. Basically, we will all die and there is nothing we can really do about it, except live a life acceptable to God. We come in with nothing, and leave with nothing. I hope this helps with your question.

Edited by TheFinalWord
Added link about Siloam
I was baptised Roman Catholic and have wrestled with my religion since being carted off to Sunday school as a child. I recently stopped attending church, for reasons relating to the point you mention. Having a faith has helped me through my life's turmoils, but the Catholic Church is out of touch with reality. I am especially angry along with so many other people about it's cover-up of child sexual abuse. I was sexually and spiritually abused by a supposedly devout man(my grandfather) who would sit in the front pew at church every Sunday morning. Despite spending about twenty years in therapy, I still am subconsciously attracted to abusive people and they attracted to me. Despite my awareness of it's social harm, the "religious" drill and indoctrination from my childhood years is also still evident eg.referring to God as "He". Very unfortunately, teaching an old dog new tricks can take a long time :mad:.

I'm very sorry you were put through that. I have struggled with trust in the church as well.....have met far too many users and manipulators there. There are wonderful congregations and many sincere Christians, I know....but my cynicism has put me off of organized religion. Who knows, maybe some day I'll go back.

Of course, it's so easy to say He, it's drilled into to us from birth, lol. I do it all the time by habit but have made a decision to be conscience of it and catch myself. I shouldn't be such a stick in the mud with others though, I know it's a habit. I've become annoyingly hyper vigilant about it recently......apologies and good Sunday to you. :)

• Author
truthtripper
I'm very sorry you were put through that. I have struggled with trust in the church as well.....have met far too many users and manipulators there. There are wonderful congregations and many sincere Christians, I know....but my cynicism has put me off of organized religion. Who knows, maybe some day I'll go back.

Of course, it's so easy to say He, it's drilled into to us from birth, lol. I do it all the time by habit but have made a decision to be conscience of it and catch myself. I shouldn't be such a stick in the mud with others though, I know it's a habit. I've become annoyingly hyper vigilant about it recently......apologies and good Sunday to you. :)

It's good you're aware of your habit. I also thought your reaction was over the top, like it was anger for anger's sake or the anger was coming from somewhere else and this was a convenient place to let it rip. Nevertheless, apologies accepted.

I have a Fijian friend whose house remained untouched after the recent cyclone(cyclone winston). She firmly believes God saved her house. I believe when such things happen, it's simply luck/chance.

In the eyes of the religious/people who believe in God's protection, why does God protect some people and not others?

I personally think that the term "protect" is a very difficult concept to understand. It's hard to know what real protection is in our own lives, or in the lives of others.

For example, someone could win the lottery and feel that God has blessed them. But then, a few years down the road, that "blessing" could turn into a destructive gift as one finds their values have been compromised, or their life feels empty and used, or they've taken on a very destructive habit.

Alternatively, someone could lose a job and feel like God is out to get them. But losing the job could just be the impetus to finding something much better.

So, I don't look at it necessarily as God "protecting some and not others". But I do come from a spiritual, Christian standpoint, and believe in a larger, eternal plan that is at work. I don't believe that the difficulties in this life, or even the end of our lives on earth, are the end of the story. They could just be the beginning of something great.

BetheButterfly

That's a great question. I definitely believe that God protects people when it is His will. I also believe that the absence of protection does not mean that God doesn't love the people He didn't protect.

About why, it really depends on His will. God is not human, except for when He incarnated as Jesus Christ (according to Christians). Because His original nature is not human, He doesn't think how humans do.

For example, some humans naturally think that if God loves them, He will protect them from pain, sadness, hunger, natural disasters, persecution, and so on. They think He will provide for their every need and want with the best. However, there is evidence that this is not the case. After all, God allowed the disciples of Jesus Christ to be persecuted. Does that then mean that God did not love them? I personally think this shows that God has a different way of thinking than humans do.

Before Jesus Christ healed a blind man, his disciples asked if the blind man or his parents sinned (John 9), because there is also a common belief among humans that suffering is punishment for sin. While definitely God does punish some people, not all suffering is punishment for sin. Jesus answered them that the man was born blind so the "works of God might be displayed in him." So, again, it really depends on God's will.

As for your friend's house being spared, that could definitely have been God's intervention. However, God can use catastrophe so that the "works of God might be displayed" in it.

Many times, natural disasters and emergencies are tests, to see how people come together to help each other, or to see what is in a person's heart. Job, for example, suffered horrible loss, yet he never cursed God for it. While he did complain and question God, he didn't let his loss turn him away from God. While many people accuse God for what He allowed to happen to Job, again, God isn't naturally human. Because God is not naturally a human, He doesn't think like a human anymore than a human thinks like an ant.