Hangup about Ash Wednesday.

I often wonder if I am wrong about my hangup of this particular day. I consider myself a Catholic in SOME areas, but I don't consider myself a religious person, or at least THAT religious. I will go to church with my family on occasion, but it seems that every year on Ash Wednesday I am reluctant to go to church on Ash Wednesday. The reason? They put the ashes on the forehead. I never cared for this, ever since I was a child. I always thought it looked ridiculous and would wait until the service ended so that I could wash it off. My family said that they gave me a choice whether to go to mass or not, even though they still wonder about my hangup. I sometimes wonder if I am wrong for having this hangup and if I really need to get over it. It almost feels like it's a day of obligation for me.

Am I wrong?

If you're reluctant, don't go. Faith is a positive force and doesn't require submitting to every last procedure. Fit your faith to you.

I don't think it's about being wrong or right - because I don't really know how you feel about your faith.

But the thing about Ash Wednesday is that it's basically meant to be a public display of faith from the faithful. The whole point is to wear the ashes on your forehead as a very prominent sign of your belief. And Ash Wednesday is in fact a Holy Day of Obligation, FWIW.

So the question is what the hangup is really about, for you - do you not want to advertise that you're Catholic? Do you generally have issues with feeling like people are staring at you? Are you questioning your faith in general?

I think those are probably the sorts of questions you should consider, rather than the right/wrong one.

Personally, as a former Catholic, I didn't like Ash Wednesday because I was very uncomfortable with people looking at me. Even though they probably had better things to think about (and as it happens I grew up in a pretty Catholic town so going to high school with the ashes wasn't the nightmare it could have been). But that was my hangup with the whole thing.

Edited by serial muse
  • Like 2
I often wonder if I am wrong about my hangup of this particular day. I consider myself a Catholic in SOME areas, but I don't consider myself a religious person, or at least THAT religious. I will go to church with my family on occasion, but it seems that every year on Ash Wednesday I am reluctant to go to church on Ash Wednesday. The reason? They put the ashes on the forehead. I never cared for this, ever since I was a child. I always thought it looked ridiculous and would wait until the service ended so that I could wash it off. My family said that they gave me a choice whether to go to mass or not, even though they still wonder about my hangup. I sometimes wonder if I am wrong for having this hangup and if I really need to get over it. It almost feels like it's a day of obligation for me.

Am I wrong?

I know lots of people who go to church every Sunday and they do not go on Ash Wed. If you feel weird about it, don't go, it's okay and don't feel guilty either.

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust. Acknowledgement is key, exhibiting it is another matter entirely.

Never minded the ashes....Nor did I care what "others" thought, still don't.

Yet like any ceremonial duty, somethings are less welcoming.

I no longer take the "bread of life", in lieu of having to state " I am not worthy". It goes against the practice of being welcomed by the holy one . Humility is not about being "not worthy" , we each have worth. So in that context.....practice what can be done ....

It's a symbol. Nothing more. Go to the service but stay in your pew & don't receive the ashes.

My "problem" with the service is that they always read the same Gospel. The one where Jesus tells you to pray, fast & give alms in secret not in public where others watch you. Then they put this giant mark on your head which seems in direct conflict with what they just said about not making a big public display about your faith. This year really bothered me. I went to the church near my office at lunch time & the cross they drew with the ashes was HUGE! I was like really? You couldn't just put a little mark? I dusted it off in the car then washed my face before reentering my office.

I have a fire pit FULL of ashes. Do you think I can sell it to the church for days like this? I never thought of this before. I could make a KILLING!!!

I have a fire pit FULL of ashes. Do you think I can sell it to the church for days like this? I never thought of this before. I could make a KILLING!!!

:laugh: Well, the ashes used in a Catholic church are usually made from the previous year's Palm Sunday fronds. I doubt they'd be interested in forking over dough for that.

I don't think it's about being wrong or right - because I don't really know how you feel about your faith.

But the thing about Ash Wednesday is that it's basically meant to be a public display of faith from the faithful. The whole point is to wear the ashes on your forehead as a very prominent sign of your belief. And Ash Wednesday is in fact a Holy Day of Obligation, FWIW.

So the question is what the hangup is really about, for you - do you not want to advertise that you're Catholic? Do you generally have issues with feeling like people are staring at you? Are you questioning your faith in general?

I think those are probably the sorts of questions you should consider, rather than the right/wrong one.

Personally, as a former Catholic, I didn't like Ash Wednesday because I was very uncomfortable with people looking at me. Even though they probably had better things to think about (and as it happens I grew up in a pretty Catholic town so going to high school with the ashes wasn't the nightmare it could have been). But that was my hangup with the whole thing.

Actually Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation. So you are not "bound" to attend.

Actually Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation. So you are not "bound" to attend.

Yes, that's true - my error.

• Like 1