What if there is no afterlife?

Just had this thought, and come to find out it's quite depressing. Many of you probably know about the "nothingness" before you were born. There was nothing, it was just none existence. Then you are born, die, and then you go back to "nothingness" or non-existence for eternity

And the fact that most men on average live to be 75. So assuming nothing happens to me, I could live to be 75 maybe or older. But I'm only young once, and once I'm old, I'm old. And once I die, it's all over with. I'll never see the people or things I love again. So it makes you think what's the point of anything?

Does anyone else ever think about this? I have always believed there was a heaven, but what if there isn't? As someone who believes in God, I believe I must still be open minded to this possibility. Just ignoring it is dumb. And like I said, the thought of no afterlife to me is depressing

Thoughts?

The point is the journey. It's a gift sentient beings who are alive possess.

If there's no afterlife, well, we'll never know.

The only thing scarier or more depressing than the thought of dying some day is the thought of living forever. ;)

• Like 6
Just had this thought, and come to find out it's quite depressing. Many of you probably know about the "nothingness" before you were born. There was nothing, it was just none existence. Then you are born, die, and then you go back to "nothingness" or non-existence for eternity

And the fact that most men on average live to be 75. So assuming nothing happens to me, I could live to be 75 maybe or older. But I'm only young once, and once I'm old, I'm old. And once I die, it's all over with. I'll never see the people or things I love again. So it makes you think what's the point of anything?

Does anyone else ever think about this? I have always believed there was a heaven, but what if there isn't? As someone who believes in God, I believe I must still be open minded to this possibility. Just ignoring it is dumb. And like I said, the thought of no afterlife to me is depressing

Thoughts?

I believe that animals also have some kind of consciousness but not the same as ours ie-we are able to domesticate many species of animals and communicate with them on certain levels. They experience pain and even emotional pain like that from loneliness or bereavement. What is the point of us(all animals) being able to feel/think?...there has to be an afterlife, otherwise, as you say, there is no point. And I'm sure it includes all animals.

When my brother was small he asked my dad this question, "what if there's no God?"

My dad gave a good answer, I think. He said, "it doesn't matter, as long as you leave this world better than you found it"

That works for me.

• Like 9

On the up side, no hell!

All the more reason to not waste this life on some alleged afterlife. Make the most of the time you have. Wouldn't the lack of an afterlife give your life on earth more meaning than ever? You don't get a second chance. It's all you have!

Take comfort: If there isn't an afterlife you will never know.

Edited by Robert Z

I usually don't answer these post but here goes my views on this. I don't fear death I've been through this prior when I was hit by a speeding car. I was gone for 15 mins. So that afterlife as you put does exist but I would call it the other world where you see all those who have died prior, friends, family and pets on

They all seem to come out and greet you prior to seeing the supreme maker after side of bank of green grass and green trees hazy sunlight and being in the middle like lake moving forward to the next tunnel light.

Who tells you if you are ready or now to be there. In my case no. But everyone going to have a different story. I've experience NDE and a family member death in my arms the room does fill up with the soul douse me and leaves to the ceiling so that experience I won't never forget. Actually see a family member die in my arms.

This was when I was 14 of age I never forgot this because it's still with me today. I told the family member not to fear death she was 100.6 years old when she had died.

• Like 1

If there's no afterlife, you've really got nothing to worry about. You'll never even know you're gone.

However, if there is, then I have to imagine that you are somehow called to account. I don't think you have to be perfect, but I also don't think you want to show up having spent most of your time worrying about that.

Thoughts?

In terms of nothingness before you were born, how do you know? It could simply be we are unaware of it in our present state. Personally I do not believe we existed before our birth, but the same type of question could be asked.

In terms of no afterlife, yes, if there is none then it changes one's perspective. All that matters is the here and now, so get yours now because this is the only chance you get. But even that is a facade because it really won't matter if you did or didn't get the best out of life after you die. Your state of nothingness after you die isn't going to be any different whether you lived like a monk or indulged in every human experience possible. "You come into this world with nothing, and with nothing you will leave"...not only items, but your experiences. It will all end the same way: nothing.

The alternative is God is real and so is heaven. Neither can be proven, but one of them is right.

One philosopher that approached this question developed the concept that came to be known as Pascal's wager.

It's set up in a 2x2 matrix, but the basic gist is...

I believe, God exists: Infinite gain, minus finite loss

I believe, God does not exist: Finite loss

I do not believe, God exists: Finite gain minus infinite loss

I do not believe, God does not exist: Finite gain

(The problem is the decision-theoretic context. If I answer this as a Christian, and the Muslim God exists, the "I believe, God exists" statement leading to "infinite gain, minus finite loss" does not hold true. So at the end of the day, you still have to research and study various religions.)

In terms of nothingness before you were born, how do you know? It could simply be we are unaware of it in our present state. Personally I do not believe we existed before our birth, but the same type of question could be asked.

In terms of no afterlife, yes, if there is none then it changes one's perspective. All that matters is the here and now, so get yours now because this is the only chance you get. But even that is a facade because it really won't matter if you did or didn't get the best out of life after you die. Your state of nothingness after you die isn't going to be any different whether you lived like a monk or indulged in every human experience possible. "You come into this world with nothing, and with nothing you will leave"...not only items, but your experiences. It will all end the same way: nothing.

The alternative is God is real and so is heaven. Neither can be proven, but one of them is right.

One philosopher that approached this question developed the concept that came to be known as Pascal's wager.

It's set up in a 2x2 matrix, but the basic gist is...

I believe, God exists: Infinite gain, minus finite loss

I believe, God does not exist: Finite loss

I do not believe, God exists: Finite gain minus infinite loss

I do not believe, God does not exist: Finite gain

(The problem is the decision-theoretic context. If I answer this as a Christian, and the Muslim God exists, the "I believe, God exists" statement leading to "infinite gain, minus finite loss" does not hold true. So at the end of the day, you still have to research and study various religions.)

What Pascal left out were the odds that you are wasting your life on a fantasy. Consider for the example the woman who bankrupted her family trying to win the lottery. Same logic. The odds that the Bible is "true" are logically zero. It can be debunked on any of dozens of points and claims.

Imo, the other fallacy is that there is no meaning if there is no afterlife. It gives infinite meaning to the moment rather than some imagined eternity. It means accepting life for what it is rather than what we might wish it were. It means learning to find the joy in life rather than the joy of death.

Consider this: How many lives have been wasted in anticipation of a better life after death?

Edited by Robert Z
BetheButterfly

Thoughts?

Sure, I think pretty much everybody who's heard of an afterlife has wondered at least once if there isn't.

While there are people who have had near death experiences that testify to glimpsing an afterlife, people can believe them or not. Some scientists attribute any afterlife "experience" to the complexities of the brain, which is very convenient. However, it is indeed possible that much of a person's brain activity when facing death is influenced by their beliefs.

Thus, it is more likely for a Christian to experience glimpses of Heaven when faced with death than for an Atheist, for example. For a Christian, what Jesus Christ has to say on the subject is very important. When answering the Sadducees, a group of people who didn't believe in the afterlife (Matthew 22:23), Jesus said:

“You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” - Matthew 22:29-32 (NIV)

So, if there is no afterlife, then it is very likely that Christians will experience a "Heaven" of sorts in their brains before their brains "turn off" for good, simply because of how their beliefs influence their last moments.

As a Christian, I do believe there is an afterlife that is reality and not just a mental phenomenon. The reason is because I believe that what Jesus Christ said is true.

BetheButterfly

Consider this: How many lives have been wasted in anticipation of a better life after death?

It depends on what they do while they wait for a better life.

For example, if a person blows other people up, as well as himself, in anticipation of a better life, then yes that it is a waste. :(

If however a person decides to use their life to serve other people and spend $ and/or time on helping those in need, instead of on satisfying their own desires, then that person's life has not been wasted at all. Rather, that person has become a great blessing to many other people.

• Like 4

Unfortunately I believe there is no after life. All these different religions are just a way for people to deal with death and the like. Once you die that's it just like every virus, plant, insect and animal. Religious people will argue until the day they die that heaven is for real. I don't blame them - they have a lot invested in their beliefs. But just enjoy life while you have it. Don't worry about what happens next because you cannot control it and have no proof anything else exists.

Unfortunately I believe there is no after life. All these different religions are just a way for people to deal with death and the like. Once you die that's it just like every virus, plant, insect and animal. Religious people will argue until the day they die that heaven is for real. I don't blame them - they have a lot invested in their beliefs. But just enjoy life while you have it. Don't worry about what happens next because you cannot control it and have no proof anything else exists.

I am spiritual man there is another world where you go to when your die. Just have to have open mind and believe doesn't have to do with your religion it's just there.

What Pascal left out were the odds that you are wasting your life on a fantasy. Consider for the example the woman who bankrupted her family trying to win the lottery. Same logic. The odds that the Bible is "true" are logically zero. It can be debunked on any of dozens of points and claims.

Imo, the other fallacy is that there is no meaning if there is no afterlife. It gives infinite meaning to the moment rather than some imagined eternity. It means accepting life for what it is rather than what we might wish it were. It means learning to find the joy in life rather than the joy of death.

I agree, there are logical problems with Paschal's wager (it's a 2x2 matrix, which we all know is a consultant's answer to everything, but is inherently too simplistic), but it is a good starting point for OP.

However, Paschal did mention "I believe, God does not exist: Finite losss" in terms of devoting time during this life towards the life beyond, so he does address that aspect.

I agree, there are logical problems with Paschal's wager (it's a 2x2 matrix, which we all know is a consultant's answer to everything, but is inherently too simplistic), but it is a good starting point for OP.

However, Paschal did mention "I believe, God does not exist: Finite losss" in terms of devoting time during this life towards the life beyond, so he does address that aspect.

Was Pascal in to Dualism? I suspect they all were back then in the face of execution. Apart from Diderot. My French philosophy is a bit rusty since uni.

Think Diderot said `If you want me to believe in God then i must touch him`

I was horribly pretentious at uni.

• Like 3

Thoughts?

You'll live you'll entire live never knowing what comes after. Even if you did know, you can do nothing about it. So if the thought depresses you, don't think about it. Otherwise you're a dog chasing its tail and wondering why life smells of ass.

No good comes from thinking too much.

Was Pascal in to Dualism? I suspect they all were back then in the face of execution. Apart from Diderot. My French philosophy is a bit rusty since uni.

Think Diderot said `If you want me to believe in God then i must touch him`

I was horribly pretentious at uni.

Yes, I believe you're correct! It was Paschal that said, (paraphrasing) "God has made the evidence for his existence sufficiently adequate for those that want to believe, and sufficiently vague for those that do not."

• Like 1

If there is no afterlife and we have zero evidence that there is, it makes this life all that more special.

If you want to see what happens after you die, go look at some dead stuff.

Focus on making your life on Earth a great one! Try to do something nice for a different person each day. If you do that for just 20 years, you will have impacted 7,300 people in a positive way.

I just don't understand why people would think that humans get some sort of special "do over" second life. We're just animals. Smart animals, but animals all the same. We evolved over millions of years. For people to think we have "souls" that somehow live on after our bodies die, they would have to think that somewhere along the evolutionary line, that a deity just "inserted" a soul into one generation of our ancestors, basically screwing the previous generation in the most heinous way possible.

"No soul for you!" (Yes, like the Soup Nazi)

I mean, it's so illogical when you just look at it objectively, without any "tradition" or indoctrination getting in the way.

Thoughts?

There HAS to be more than just human life on earth. Once we die, something happens. Whether it's our energy, our soul, a spirit, or we roam around looking and guiding our loved ones or possibly just live in warmth, love and light - We won't know for sure until it happens. I can't think there's nothing like once you're gone that's it. I used to think that when I was younger (my dad was a non believer!) but as I've been getting older I've experienced things and heard stories that make me see there's more out there..

• Like 1
string of letters

If there's no afterlife, well, we'll never know.

Yup. It's kind of funny, there was recently a thread bitterly complaining about people who 'ghost' others (they have my 101% sympathies...), but the funny thing is, maybe these people are helping to prepare you for death. :laugh: After all, the universe puts you through all this trauma and suffering, but when it's all said and done, it doesn't even have the integrity to tell you that you've permanently broken up. :p

I guess there are other possibilities though. You are floating down a tunnel of light, and suddenly you see a Wise Old Man with a flowing white beard. He sits you down and says 'Look, I know you spent a lot of time wondering and worrying about this, and I want this to be fair, so I am going to go ahead and break it to you: there is no afterlife.'

'Oh... thanks, so much!' you reply, genuinely grateful, though with mixed feelings. 'But, um, wait a minute, wouldn't this actually be some kind after.....'

<<click>>

There HAS to be more than just human life on earth. Once we die, something happens. Whether it's our energy, our soul, a spirit, or we roam around looking and guiding our loved ones or possibly just live in warmth, love and light - We won't know for sure until it happens. I can't think there's nothing like once you're gone that's it. I used to think that when I was younger (my dad was a non believer!) but as I've been getting older I've experienced things and heard stories that make me see there's more out there..

Whichwayisup, I'm just curious...what have you observed that makes you think there's more out there?

Whichwayisup, I'm just curious...what have you observed that makes you think there's more out there?

Some stuff that happened when my father passed away (PM if you'd like to know more).

• Like 1