Vivid, repetitive and disturbing dreams

I never spoke of my dream before but... There is a few things that bothers me, so maybe it's a good idea to ask about it?

Over 9 years I have the same dream all over again - very briefly: At elementary, middle school I was excellent student but than on high school puberty struck ver hard and I become one of the very worst of whole school... I made it to university and virtually from the very first day there I became a hard worker, diligent student again. And I feel no regrets ever since.

But the dream, all over again: I am on high school and the school year begins. I don't study at all. Than it's few months later and I skip lessons of biology, chemistry and history. Suddenly is final exam time and I am failing in those subjects... And feel horrible.

This same scenario... all over again... It started in high school and carries on until today. For 9 years! Even in dreams it is becoming annoying because I know it is only dream (a dream within dream - dreamception).

I am not sure how to fight it... I am thinking of visiting school again and seeing places that have been haunting me for so long...

Edited by Vilgefoz
  • Author

hmm... no one.

I know there is virtually no more boring topic then dreams, but this one is for 9 damned years :)

It's your subconscious mind trying to tell you something. I don't know what, but something.

And the items in the dream (like the school) - they're symbols for something else.

Is there a repetitive situation in your "real" life that's been happening for the last 9 years? Was there some event that happened in your life 9 years ago?

Dreams are our brains' way of "housecleaning" all the crap we absorb every day. Kinda like a database scrub. If we couldn't dream, we would go mad. (I think this has been scientifically proven?)

• Author
It's your subconscious mind trying to tell you something. I don't know what, but something.

And the items in the dream (like the school) - they're symbols for something else.

Is there a repetitive situation in your "real" life that's been happening for the last 9 years? Was there some event that happened in your life 9 years ago?

Dreams are our brains' way of "housecleaning" all the crap we absorb every day. Kinda like a database scrub. If we couldn't dream, we would go mad. (I think this has been scientifically proven?)

hmm... as a matter of fact, sometimes I am "too smart" because I take things quite analytical while my colleagues takes thing more peasant-like - "it works - it's good enough".

no, there is no such repetitive situation where I would be under-prepared and failed because of that. It happen once in my life - on high school - and ever since haunts me every second dream...

BUT there is sort of... conflict in my university years, lets say. I DID study hard for my career but I did not study according to what my tutors expected... mostly because my tutors were not from business sector but academic environment and I didn't trust them much. "Oficiality" I was rather bad performing student (according to my grade statistics) but my side-assignments proved opposite. It might contribute to bad dreams, but maybe the answer lies in these high school years - I did not make peace with my past. And so I need to do now...

T-16bullseyeWompRat

Hmmmmm, Ive got an exercise for you, but it only works if you are diligent about it. In your dreams there has to be a point where you are doing something that you do in daily life. Like sitting down at your desk, or walking into the classroom. So everytime you walk into a room, or sit down at your desk, touch yourself with your finger somewhere like your chest or leg or something like that, and ask yourself if you are dreaming. Do this EVERY time you sit down or walk in a room. Once you have done it long enough, you will do it in your dream as well, only when you ask if you are dreaming, you will realize you actually are dreaming. It will probably wake you up the first time, but after loads of practice, you can start to stay in your dreams, and even control them! Then you can pass your tests lol.

• Author
Hmmmmm, Ive got an exercise for you, but it only works if you are diligent about it. In your dreams there has to be a point where you are doing something that you do in daily life. Like sitting down at your desk, or walking into the classroom. So everytime you walk into a room, or sit down at your desk, touch yourself with your finger somewhere like your chest or leg or something like that, and ask yourself if you are dreaming. Do this EVERY time you sit down or walk in a room. Once you have done it long enough, you will do it in your dream as well, only when you ask if you are dreaming, you will realize you actually are dreaming. It will probably wake you up the first time, but after loads of practice, you can start to stay in your dreams, and even control them! Then you can pass your tests lol.

Hmm... interesting. It reminds me some movie - Inception? :)

Sure might try but as matter of fact, when I have this repetitive dream I know it is a dream because I have seen it so many times. But I can't force myself to wake up. The same with plying or telekinetic power. Sometimes I dream of that and than I know it's just a dream because I can't move stuff with my mind in real world. Than I wake up and test if I am still moving stuff with mind. And I do. So I try to wake up again and the same scenario... :)

I don't understand it. I have bunch of insecurities but being bad student or weak at my fields is one of the last of them. It is 8 years since high school, so there is no repetitive thing I would do. And probably the only reason why I still think of high school years is because I dream of it. Not vice versa.

It's weird. My explanation would be that this struggle I had on high school was so big it left in me life-long mark. And so my subconscion (did I use correct english world for it?) makes me dream of it again and again...

OP, these are just some unorganized thoughts. I want to help and this is all I'm picking up.

This is probably way off, although what came to mind is unfinished business.

Repetition - Examples and Definition of Repetition

Negative-Positive Restatement: Repetition of an idea first in negative terms and then in positive terms.

I can't shake this when reading your OP. I feel like you are standing in the archway of your life. The archway is your present with your future in front of you and your past behind you.

For me, I had to come to terms with various things in my past in order to embrace my future. I held back and would not let go. Because of this I was mostly out of Gods perfect will for my life. Had I let go of certain things in my past, life would have been much smoother.

I also feel like the school is symbolic for something.

You know what OP, I'm really off and missing it here, but will post this without editing it in the event any part of this makes sense to you...

• Like 1
  • Author
OP, these are just some unorganized thoughts. I want to help and this is all I'm picking up.

This is probably way off, although what came to mind is unfinished business.

Repetition - Examples and Definition of Repetition

Negative-Positive Restatement: Repetition of an idea first in negative terms and then in positive terms.

I can't shake this when reading your OP. I feel like you are standing in the archway of your life. The archway is your present with your future in front of you and your past behind you.

For me, I had to come to terms with various things in my past in order to embrace my future. I held back and would not let go. Because of this I was mostly out of Gods perfect will for my life. Had I let go of certain things in my past, life would have been much smoother.

I also feel like the school is symbolic for something.

You know what OP, I'm really off and missing it here, but will post this without editing it in the event any part of this makes sense to you...

Hallo,

and thank you for your trying to help.

Ups, maybe I did grammar error? Is Repetitive the same as repeating?

The... repeating factor (meaning what I dread every time) is: 1) I am on high school. 2) The school year begins and I don't prepare for lessons. 3) The school year continues and I don't even attend lessons! 4) In most times, these lessons are: Biology, Chemistry and History. 5) Lastly, exam period starts and I am failing these exams.

This exact scenario with changes in environment, people. Sometimes it is actual high school building , sometimes it's university campus, sometimes something completely different... but it always is high school lessons and study materials.

Today I had this dream. Again. Today the only exception was that it wasn't science and history but... uh... some sort of mysticism (maybe has something to do with Sapkowski The Witcher saga that I read...). And instead of high school building it was suburb of Vienna and the North Africa :D . But the same again - school year started, I did not study, I skipped lessons, I failed. Everybody angry at me.

Yes, seems reasonable. Maybe I did not let things from my past go. Possibly, it's not even the issue of high school but something else... I still feel some sort of inferiority complex, when it comes to my intellectual capabilities in some specific type of situations... (like right now I am working with one scientist (from biology and chemistry branch!) and I feel somewhat uneasy around him...).

hmm... maybe I should seek psychologist. This might be more complicated then I thought...

Edited by Vilgefoz
  • Like 1

I don't have any suggestions for you.

Just want to post a reply to say, I have the same dream (about chemistry in my case). All the details of your dream pretty much match to mine as well.

I'm 35 now and I think these dreams began when I was around 16 or 17 and I still have them to this day. Not as frequently as in your case though.

I have, one way or another, felt worthless in school pretty much my whole life, and around the end of 10th grade, I reached that critical psychological breaking point thinking if I couldn't pass all my classes, life would be over. There had already been attempt of suicide over my performance in school in middle school.

So I can understand why I had and still have those dreams. The stress in school went on for far too long and my dreams were just manifestations of that stress and depression.

I hate having those nightmares still, but have gotten used to them over time.

• Author
I don't have any suggestions for you.

Just want to post a reply to say, I have the same dream (about chemistry in my case). All the details of your dream pretty much match to mine as well.

I'm 35 now and I think these dreams began when I was around 16 or 17 and I still have them to this day. Not as frequently as in your case though.

I have, one way or another, felt worthless in school pretty much my whole life, and around the end of 10th grade, I reached that critical psychological breaking point thinking if I couldn't pass all my classes, life would be over. There had already been attempt of suicide over my performance in school in middle school.

So I can understand why I had and still have those dreams. The stress in school went on for far too long and my dreams were just manifestations of that stress and depression.

I hate having those nightmares still, but have gotten used to them over time.

I am sorry about your issue. Maybe you would like to consult it with someone? I sure will do it too!

Fortunately, I had no suicidal thoughts. Or at least as far as I can remember. Yes, I felt devastated and guilty because of my school failure and until today I have sort of inferiority complex because of my lack of understanding of sciences ( fun fact: I am business guy, eventually).

When I was younger, mostly teenager, I dreamed of being a scientist or guy working in sciences. Mostly math and physics (Hey, I am not that bad in math as a matter of fact :) ). The fact I have no deeper understanding of this might be the reason why this dream keep coming to me.... but why history??? My history teacher was great, I had no big ambitions here and actually, never really performed so bad... Uhmmm....

really, this is a topic for psychologist.

And I thought about YOU this morning. Care to guess why?

I had a nightmare last night and it was bad enough that I actually screamed in my sleep multiple times.

I am an arachnophobic and I have had nightmares about spiders my whole life since childhood.

But what I thought was really curious was that just yesterday your post made me think of nightmares and that very night I had a nightmare; (chemistry, spiders--what's the difference? all equally scary:lmao:)

So I think it just goes to show that most of the dreams/nightmares usually revolve around something you're dealing with consciously or subconsciously.

You can certainly talk to a psychologist--can't hurt.

• Author
And I thought about YOU this morning. Care to guess why?

I had a nightmare last night and it was bad enough that I actually screamed in my sleep multiple times.

I am an arachnophobic and I have had nightmares about spiders my whole life since childhood.

But what I thought was really curious was that just yesterday your post made me think of nightmares and that very night I had a nightmare; (chemistry, spiders--what's the difference? all equally scary:lmao:)

So I think it just goes to show that most of the dreams/nightmares usually revolve around something you're dealing with consciously or subconsciously.

You can certainly talk to a psychologist--can't hurt.

yes, fear of spiders. One of most common in population.

Funny, I am just repeating high school chemistry (for some reason) and suddenly I have the urge to pat big furry tarantula instead...