The question no Christian can answer.

If you've been through grade school, you must know of the existence of other religions in the world. I won't waste our time naming the thousands of obscure religions, but after Christianity the most widespread religions would be:

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

The question no Christian can answer is this:

How much time have you spent studying these other religions, and exactly how did you ascertain that they were all false, but Christianity is true?

Please don't quote the scripture. I know Jesus said he was "the way and the truth and the light", but the doctrines of other religions just as strongly promote their own veracity.

So again, how did you ascertain that Hinduism is false, but Christianity is true?

I say no Christian can answer, but maybe someone here can?

• Like 2

I know Jesus said he was "the way and the truth and the light"

"No one comes to the Father except through me."

All religions are based in faith, not fact. There is no fact in the world, really. My dad, a religious man (Christian and scientist,) asked me once what do I know is fact? Crickets of course. He answered his question.....nothing, nothing is fact and in this nothing is God.

You have to find your own 'truth' it is the only one that you will live by. There isn't much worse than a person spouting and judging without living their own hyperbole.

This is not a question that a Christian can't answer, it is a question a person of any faith can't answer. No person can prove or disprove another religion/faith. It comes from the inside and the connection you believe in. That said, any faith or religion that is not founded in love and tolerance, I turn my back on. My .02

• Like 4
If you've been through grade school, you must know of the existence of other religions in the world. I won't waste our time naming the thousands of obscure religions, but after Christianity the most widespread religions would be:

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

How much time have you spent studying these other religions, and exactly how did you ascertain that they were all false, but Christianity is true?

Please don't quote the scripture. I know Jesus said he was "the way and the truth and the light", but the doctrines of other religions just as strongly promote their own veracity.

So again, how did you ascertain that Hinduism is false, but Christianity is true?

All are equal, just some more prevalent than others depending on the culture...not one is more right than the other. That is not the purpose of religion, purpose is inner peace at least IMO. I studied Judiasm for a while. All religions are important to our history as humans...

They aren't all false. They have a lot of common tenets

I spent two semesters in college -- at a well known prestigous secular university -- studying comparative religions. I also spent my Junior year of high school -- in a Catholic school -- studying Judaism both from a religious & historical perspective (so 2 classes) because the priests who taught me recognized that you cannot fully appreciate Christianity if you don't understand that Jesus Christ was born a Jew.

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 4

There might be a Christian who has studied all these religions in depth. Like others have said, it wouldn't really matter because religion is based on faith. I studied Judaism for a few years with a friend who is a Reform rabbi. He was teaching a class to those who wanted to convert, and he let me sit in on it. I went to synagogue many times as well. I really like Judaism but would never convert because I was raised a Christian. So for me, it's more of an emotional connection to Christianity because I was raised that way.

Edited by BC1980

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

Why is this a question you pose to Christians only? How much time does anyone belonging to any religion spend studying the religions of others? Do Jews study Christianity? Do Buddhists study Islam?

spirituality/belief is a highly subjective thing. Do I know for sure other religions aren't false? Nope. But I can say with complete conviction that Christianity rings true for *me* ...

• Like 1

No one knows so don't believe anyone that tells you theirs is the way to go. Most people are religious because as children they were forced to go to a church. I would hope once you get older and wiser you could think for yourself.

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

Many hundreds of hours.

One of the problems is distinguishing between different religions requires one to study the sacred text of each. So how to answer your questions without doing so is a bit like asking me to prove a mathematical theorem without using numbers.

Islam denies Jesus died on the cross. This goes against the historical evidence we have for Jesus. It will largely be an internal debate comparing sacred text for historical contradictions, etc.

Christianity is technically a sect of Judaism. Christianity claims Jesus is the Jewish Messiah, so that again will be a debate internal to scripture.

Hinduism multiplies gods unnecessarily, Occam's razor.

Many of these topics were discussed in the following thread:

The God or Not God Discussion

It was actually a very civil discussion. I encourage you to review!

todreaminblue

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

I know Jesus said he was "the way and the truth and the light", but the doctrines of other religions just as strongly promote their own veracity.

i know you asked to not quote the scripture but i used to think that this was the scripture......the way the truth the light........followed by light of all lights......later in my life.... that light of all lights thought i had when i was five finally made sense....it was from a movie that touched my heart............just that particularl movie hadnt been thought of or hadnt been written yet........it was that particular line among others that touched my heart...not the actual acting or the music or anything else but the dialogue ......the movie was dracula.....but yes it clicked.....i associate those words the way the truth the "light"(its actually life in the bible)....light of all lights....as being divine in nature...belonging of god.....a divinity in a trinity of truth...because those words are the words that hit my heart with peace......

i think if you are going to find truth in an answer to a sincere question...there's a peace attached to the answer in your heart..........a stillness....a feeling of home.....

that is what it is for me....and for me ....i found peace before i had or ever would do studies all religions.....and in my logical thinkin brain........i feel ...if i am home..i have stillness and am blessed with guidance to be a better person.why do i need to find another home if i am happy and content where i am.....and yes i have trials.....but doesnt change that i feel at home where i am.....

and one fave bible quote of mine...is seek and ye shall find....i found where i am happy..its being part of a church where christ is the very core..and the important thing is ...i can be hit with a crap load of bad weather....doesnt change i am a christian....or that i believe the to be truth where adn with whom i worship.

i dont know where or who or what to answer your question with other than to give you my experiences....

the only being capable of answering your question ........is in you.....

for me......i have disrespected other religions.....not lately though

now i respect all religion...what is truth or right for me might not be right or truth for another....and i respect that.....deb

Edited by todreaminblue

Islam

Judaism

Buddhism

Hinduism

Religion isn't about questioning things or determining anything factual based. People are brainwashed from a very young age and then it is just a part of them. People continue to believe for many reasons. You are looking for logic in a non logical world. They believe because they wish it were so.

how did you ascertain that they were all false, but Christianity is true?

Based on the observer paradox from Quantum Mechanic, in conjunction with the Many Worlds Theory, I have faith that we each experience a unique reality created by the observer. So if you believe Christianity is true, in your universe, it is. But in Bob's parallel universe it is not. Faith is merely the mechanism for selecting the final state of the collapsed wave function, which in turn determines reality. This is why faith can move mountains.

Should I start a religion?

• Like 1
"No one comes to the Father except through me."

All religions are based in faith, not fact. There is no fact in the world, really. My dad, a religious man (Christian and scientist,) asked me once what do I know is fact? Crickets of course. He answered his question.....nothing, nothing is fact and in this nothing is God.

You have to find your own 'truth' it is the only one that you will live by. There isn't much worse than a person spouting and judging without living their own hyperbole.

This is not a question that a Christian can't answer, it is a question a person of any faith can't answer. No person can prove or disprove another religion/faith. It comes from the inside and the connection you believe in. That said, any faith or religion that is not founded in love and tolerance, I turn my back on. My .02

Bold- Boom! Good one T...

Based on the observer paradox from Quantum Mechanic, in conjunction with the Many Worlds Theory, I have faith that we each experience a unique reality created by the observer. So if you believe Christianity is true, in your universe, it is. But in Bob's parallel universe it is not. Faith is merely the mechanism for selecting the final state of the collapsed wave function, which in turn determines reality. This is why faith can move mountains.

...and I've seen the mountains move.

You could Robert...

• Like 1
Rejected Rosebud

Even within Christianity there is always chatter about which sect is true and which are false, my dad's dad (Baptist) wouldn't let a Catholic kid in the house to study with his daughter ... because he was Catholic. I think the best course of action is to do your best to live by the word of Christ if you believe in it and forget about condemning others and the different ways they choose to worship. :)

• Like 1

faith , so it is.

The more I studied the ones mentioned the more determined it seemed that parellels existed. That ahhha! moment. From that my faith changed... and keeps doing so.

I think the faith that has been revealed ,talks in different spiritual languages. Some of us are multi lingual in our spiritual ways.

I recall the discrimination in my studies and practice... how peculiar that was...

that no matter the faith there was a sense of superiority... yet I found it more humbling then superior...

• Author

New Age pablum.

• Author
Religion isn't about questioning things or determining anything factual based. People are brainwashed from a very young age and then it is just a part of them. People continue to believe for many reasons. You are looking for logic in a non logical world. They believe because they wish it were so.

I agree.

I have faith that when I die I'm getting 144 virgins; not just 72.

New Age pablum.

Very new age. I just made it up. :laugh:

But through God all things are possible. So maybe not. Or not.

I knew a woman who believed there were three different gods in referenced in the old Testament: Allah, Jehovah, and Yahweh. She believed this accounts for many inconsistencies and in part led to the divergence of religions. I think she thought they were all aliens. :)

Edited by Robert Z
Very new age. I just made it up. :laugh:

But through God all things are possible. So maybe not. Or not.

I knew a woman who believed there were three different gods in referenced in the old Testament: Allah, Jehovah, and Yahweh. She believed this accounts for many inconsistencies and in part led to the divergence of religions. I think she thought they were all aliens. :)

Yeah, aliens, no faith required there ;)

Yeah, aliens, no faith required there ;)

Are you trying to tell us something? Were you probed by Jesus?

I joke a lot but it if you take a moment and consider the possibility that ancient aliens really do account for some number of god myths... boy, I would sure feel silly. Duped by a stupid alien. I hate it when that happens.

Edited by Robert Z
Are you trying to tell us something? Were you probed by Jesus?

Are you? Freudian desires Robert? :love: I don't normally talk about being probed by men...I'll let you explore (no pun intended) that on your own (j/k)

I joke a lot but it if you take a moment and consider the possibility that ancient aliens really do account for some number of god myths... boy, I would sure feel silly. Duped by a stupid alien. I hate it when that happens.

If we are dealing with an advanced alien, they should have figured out the Prime directive, no? If they are so much more advanced than us, they should have come up with something better actually. A visitation leading to a 2000 year world religion would be a major violation.

If you are serious, I would discuss actually! I admit I'm a sucker for ancient aliens on history...finding bigfoot too.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1