Holier than thou

I'm growing tired of people who take our, (Christians), views and holler that we're trying to be holier than thou. The bulk of folk who share my faith know that we are not, by any stretch of the imagination, holier, better or more superior than anyone else on this planet.

Many of my posts have views that are taken directly from my faith. Just because these are my views and happens to be biblical doesn't mean that I'm putting anyone down, telling them how they should live or that I'm claiming to be more righteous than anyone else.

This is a forum where everyone has the right to post their views and share insight with everyone else. But I've noticed that most of the time when I respond, I continually hear things like, "Just because it's in the bible doesn't make it right", or, "Don't listen to these self righteous people", or "People who preach to us how we should live need to learn to be quite".....

I'm going to continue in my faith and share it. So get used to it. I'm not better than anyone, I'm just forgiven. Take what I say and use or not, lashing out at me isn't going to solve anything!

Moose..I hear ya...People always take my advice wrong or say I'm "yelling" or "preaching" or think I'm "morally superior" which is a hunk of bull sh+t because

1) you can't "yell" online nor are my words ever typed with harsh intent unless I make it known otherwise (ie tell the person I'm mad or meaning to be rude).

2) I'm not religious, I believe in God but don't belong to a particular faith.

SO I feel ya! I believe we each (in good intent) have the right to try and advise and help people seeking help no matter what our views or in the words we chose to use (unless we're insulting or cursing someone out) we shouldn't be censored or attempted to be censored just because someone may not like the advice offered!

HokeyReligions

This reminds me of the football game last night (The Texans suck BTW! The TEAM, not the people in the state! LOL! :p )

Anyway, Carr can be heard talking to other players and also saying thanks to God and asking His blessing, etc.

I heard it, thousands of people heard it the first time that segment was aired. Subsequent airings of that particular bit of video had no sound. They did not want Carr's prayers or praise to be heard because it might offend someone -- mainly atheists. Most theists don't mind honest expression of a faith even if it is not their own (at least most folks I talk with) but atheists are adamant about not allowing any expression of faith in public, especially by a public figure.

I thought that was said and it really pissed me off a bit that some atheists are so full of venom for religion that they try to control a person's individual faith. Carr wasn't praying for the whole team - but for himself and if that is what he needs to do, let him do it. Atheists don't have a problem if some football player wants to wear the same sox six games in a row without washing them -- it's their talisman. Why can't they just think of prayer that way? What do they really care about what others believe?

Okay, sorry Moose---I went off on my own tangent. I don't share your belief, but I support your right to believe and to exhibit your belief.

Well Moose if it makes you feel any better your advice is one of the most important to me because I often struggle with religion and trying to be a better christian is one of the hardest things to do today. so for some people your advice and writings on this fourm is very personal, spirtual, and important. it is to me anyways, so for the ones who don't understand don't worry about them just know that you words DO touch many. :)

Well, as with most things - it's their issue, not yours, so it shouldn't bother you so much. I've noticed people getting their feathers ruffled about posts not even directed at them. If someone has a bug up their ass then it's their responsibility to attend to it.

• Author

Wow! Thanks Stone. I value yours as well. And Hokey's, Barb's, pretty much everyone. I guess i sometimes get little preturbed with some people who don't quite understand my faith. If they only knew!

savethedrama4allama
Originally posted by Moose

I guess i sometimes get little preturbed with some people who don't quite understand my faith. If they only knew!

I think that might be it, Moose. Its impossible for everyone to understand your faith. Your faith is yours, and it doesn't mean that it is the "right" one. If you can honestly say to yourself that you have tried to understand those on this board with differing faiths, then you've done your best. No need to be upset about how you're misunderstood.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Moose your like that little angle that sits on your sholder in my time of need that tells me to do the right thing. Although the little devil on the other sholder screams your light whispers of faith makes it all go away! :laugh: As I am sure it is the same for many as well

Moose, this is the first time I have posted or replied on this forum in LS. I have read several of your replies and post and we share the same belief from what I have read. I have always agreed w/ what you have said. I am sorry that others are making you feel the way you do. I understand what it feels like. My BIL has a different belief than I do and he makes me feel like I have no clue what I am talking about and that I have no proof of my beliefs and he turns it into a big debate. I told him "Read the Bible." His reply is that he doesn't have to read the Bible to know he is right. I have learned not to discuss religion w/ him. He can believe what he wants to believe, and I will believe what I want to believe.

It has been thought, for quite some time, rude to discuss religion or politics in polite company. If people bother you by belittling you, refuse to discuss it with them.

I personally can't stand it when people think that their religion should be translated into laws that I would have to abide by, even if I'm of a different religion.

• Author

Thank you all! Stillhurtin, I'm glad to hear from you especially.

I guess it kinda hit me hard today is all. It's bad enough here in my own office whenever one of the guys cuss in front of me and then cover their mouths and look at me, then apologize. I tell em' to watch their damn mouths, but it's like they don't catch on. I may be a Christian, but I'm just like any other guy too.

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement everyone, I'm truly blessed to have buddies like you all. Even the buddies I tend to argue with every now and then, it's comforting to know that we don't always hold our differences against each other.

moose,

i know you and i have had our differences and i have no doubt that that will continue :) . i do respect your right to your opinion and i'm glad you have found a way of life that works for you.

i think what you said in your original post is where part of my problem lies with the whole topic of religion..

The bulk of folk who share my faith know that we are not, by any stretch of the imagination, holier, better or more superior than anyone else on this planet.

unfortunately, i think i've run into the "rest" of those who may share your faith or something similar. i have been told by a number of born again christians that i was "not good enough" to be their friend because i did not attend their bible study group. my exMIL is definitely one of those that fits into the "holier than thou" group and uses every chance she gets to cram her beliefs down everyone's throats. well, in all honesty, she believes her opinion on EVERYTHING is gospel (sorry for the comparison!).

i was raised catholic. as a young child a priest screamed at me for going to confessional before mass. his reason? only people that lived out of town were supposed to go to confession before mass, all others were supposed to go at a different time during the week. no one had shared that with me, or my family. but the final straw was when the priest at our church refused to baptise my daughter. he decided that we hadn't been in church as much as he would have liked. i was struggling at the time with what i believed but having been raised catholic, that was an important sacrament to me. after much pleading he agreed, but would not perform the ceremony himself, he still refused. needless to say, she was baptised and i haven't been to church since. it bothered me that he would "risk" the soul of a baby based on something her parents had or hadn't done.

i could site more examples of the "holier than thou" attitude i've seen but it doesn't matter. we all draw from our experiences when we post here. your experiences and your beliefs are an important part of who you are. for me, they're not, in fact i believe that i became who i am not because of my religious beliefs it but in spite of it.

that said, i do enjoy reading your posts, even if i don't agree with you all the time!!! :o

It's been my interpretation that fundamentalists think that their understanding of the Bible is the correct interpretation, and while many of them may preach tolerance for your wrong interpretation, they rarely 't concede that they are basing their beliefs on an interpretation, and not on "what God said."

Just because these are my views and happens to be biblical

You and I have both read the Bible, but we've come to different conclusions.

Your beliefs are in no way more or less 'Biblical' than mine, and I think that's where fundamentalists in general (i can't speak for you) run into trouble with people thinking they are holier than thou.

You also have to realize that as far as christian extremists go, you're on the harmless side of the spectrum, and there are people out there who are much more aggressive and ignorant who give your breed of christianity a bad name.

• Author

Izzy and Dyer,

You've got some great points. Izzy, I'm sorry you were the subject of these incidents. I don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but those that kept you away from faith will ultimatley pay the price for it. I honestly hope that someday soon you'd find it within yourself to pick up where you left off with different people of course, but even if you don't I'm sure you'll find ways on your own to get close to God.

Dyer, you're so quick to dissect my grammer, I'm grateful for your correction. I guess what I meant to say is that alot of my views are based on what I interpret from reading Scripture. Would that be a fair statement? As far as my extremist brethen......I think there's a phase they go through. There fire is lit and they burn with fever....some slowly fade out, some burn out right away. There always seems to be one to replace the other though.

It would be impossible to collectivly instruct the entire Christian body to chill out and leave people alone and live by example. So whatever taste they leave in everyone's mouth is just another cross I have to bear. I sometimes feel ganged up on because of the extemist's actions, but I've been warned that this would happen so I have to accept that.

missopinionated

See, the problem with christians is in that simple statement, "I am forgiven." That there, my friend, is the sum total "holier than thou" statement.

So, had you left that bit out, and maybe the following part about how you're going to keep on keeping on, is what bugs those of us who understand the difference between religion and spirituality and rules and philosophies.

Be assured that as strongly as you feel about your religion and your rules, there are many others just as convinced of theirs.

The best thing religious people could do, and what would give them the credibility they so obviously crave would be to live their faith rather than talking about it so much.

The best thing religious people could do, and what would give them the credibility they so obviously crave would be to live their faith rather than talking about it so much.

Amen!! I know so many folks who are regular churchgoers who lie, cheat, steal - my ex-husband's first OW was married with several kids and taught Sunday School. I definitely have more respect for those who treat people well whether they have religion or not.

Moose,

I believe you to be one of the most sincere people I know. Faith is such a personal thing, and it too often falls to the judgement of the masses. As Dyer said, we have read the bible and come to different conclusions.

I don't think that makes either of us right or wrong.

When I lived in the bible belt I was subjected to a lot of "Holier than thou" attitudes. Its sad really to look back in review.

My daddy once asked me why I wore a cross. I said because because I love God. His simple statement was, "If you have to wear that cross for people to know you love God, then something is wrong with the way you are living."

Often times, it is not the argument that is being presented, its the WAY its presented.

Your faith is precious Moose. Be open to learning more, but don't let anyone batter it out of you.

Row

• Author
Originally posted by missopinionated

See, the problem with christians is in that simple statement, "I am forgiven." That there, my friend, is the sum total "holier than thou" statement.

So, had you left that bit out, and maybe the following part about how you're going to keep on keeping on, is what bugs those of us who understand the difference between religion and spirituality and rules and philosophies.

Be assured that as strongly as you feel about your religion and your rules, there are many others just as convinced of theirs.

Missopinionated, just because I've been forgiven doesn't constitute mine being any holier than you, or anyone else for that matter. You just choose to take it that way. I'm not better than anyone and everyone has the same capabilities to be forgiven as I have. The only difference is that I chose to act on it and accepted the fact that there isn't anything that I could possibly do to earn the rights to spend eternity with my maker.....that's it.

I don't hold myself above anyone who hasn't, even though it's my sincere prayer that everyone I know will. I know the type that you speak of, my in-laws were extremly terrible with that problem UNTIL I came along! Even my Father-in-law had to humble himself and realize that he wasn't any, "holier", than the next guy.

You talk about spirituality, rules, and philosophies.......THEN, you try to tell us, "Religous", people what the best thing for us to do? You think that it's credibility that we seek? You're so wrong!!! I could care less what credibility I carry with you or anyone else. I don't have to live with you, work with you, or do business with you.....I don't care to have credibility with you at all.

I do live my faith, it's people like yourself that complain and take our words and views and discount them just because live my faith. So what would you have us, "religous", people do anyway?

Make up our minds would you? ( Since you seem to know what's best for us, "religous", people. )

PS: Thanks RR, very sweet post.