Prayers not being answered?

I wonder if my prayers are being answered with my bad marriage and chronic unemployment. I have to come to terms that the prayers probably have not been answered. I am very confused.

What helps me most is to remember that our highest purpose in life is to gradually become molded into the image of Christ. If God knows that answering our prayer will achieve this purpose, he'll answer it. If he knows it will cause us to stumble, become proud, or become more attached to the things of this temporary world, he will not answer it. That's assuming we are one of his followers. If we aren't, he might just give us everything we want to our own destruction (such as he did with Esau).

• Like 2
I wonder if my prayers are being answered with my bad marriage and chronic unemployment. I have to come to terms that the prayers probably have not been answered. I am very confused.

I don't mean to be rude... but quit the praying... all it's going to do is give you false hope. Been there. Done that.

If you want something fixed, YOU fix it. If it's your marriage causing problems, YOU take the step to seek marriage counselling or to talk it through with your partner.

YOU take the step to trying to better your qualification and CV, YOU take the step of gaining more work experience if that is what is needed.

Now, I'm not telling you to give up your faith, just quit praying and expect someone else to fix your problems. You can do it, all you need is a step in the right direction and everything else will follow suit. All you need is a little faith in yourself and you can work wonders! Start off small and build your way to it. I believe in you.

• Like 3
I don't mean to be rude... but quit the praying... all it's going to do is give you false hope. Been there. Done that.

If you want something fixed, YOU fix it. If it's your marriage causing problems, YOU take the step to seek marriage counselling or to talk it through with your partner.

YOU take the step to trying to better your qualification and CV, YOU take the step of gaining more work experience if that is what is needed.

Now, I'm not telling you to give up your faith, just quit praying and expect someone else to fix your problems. You can do it, all you need is a step in the right direction and everything else will follow suit. All you need is a little faith in yourself and you can work wonders! Start off small and build your way to it. I believe in you.

How is your approach going to change circumstances outside of one's control?

• Like 1
evanescentworld
How is your approach going to change circumstances outside of one's control?

I don't believe DanielStone is suggesting the approach will change circumstances outside the OP's control; I believe DanielStone is suggesting the OP be more proactive and work on the things it IS within his power to change.

• Like 4

** A man was caught in a terrible flood. The man prayed, "Lord, save me!". Shortly after his prayer, a boat paddled towards him and the people urged the man to get in.

"No thank-you", said the man, "The Lord is going to save me".

An hour later, a motor boat drove by and the people urged the man to get in.

The flood waters continued to rise--so much so that the rescue efforts were significantly hampered. The man, at this point, was clinging to the roof-top of his flooded house when a helicopter flew overhead and lowered a ladder.

"Don't worry about me. The Lord is going to save me".

Shortly after, the man died.

As the man stood before God, he asked Him, "Lord, I trusted in You--Why didn't You save?".

"Save you?", replied God, "I sent you 2 boats and a helicopter! What else did you expect?".

The lesson for us, of course, is to understand that the Lord does not always answer us the way we expect Him to . We must, therefore, be on the alert. We must remain watchful. **

I am sorry you are having a rough time. Don't give up hope. Continue to pray, be grateful and give thanks for the good in your life and stay alert. If something comes along don't wait for the booming voice in the clouds...it probably came along because it was sent.

• Like 2
** A man was caught in a terrible flood. The man prayed, "Lord, save me!". Shortly after his prayer, a boat paddled towards him and the people urged the man to get in.

An hour later, a motor boat drove by and the people urged the man to get in.

The flood waters continued to rise--so much so that the rescue efforts were significantly hampered. The man, at this point, was clinging to the roof-top of his flooded house when a helicopter flew overhead and lowered a ladder.

"Don't worry about me. The Lord is going to save me".

Shortly after, the man died.

As the man stood before God, he asked Him, "Lord, I trusted in You--Why didn't You save?".

"Save you?", replied God, "I sent you 2 boats and a helicopter! What else did you expect?".

The lesson for us, of course, is to understand that the Lord does not always answer us the way we expect Him to . We must, therefore, be on the alert. We must remain watchful. **

I am sorry you are having a rough time. Don't give up hope. Continue to pray, be grateful and give thanks for the good in your life and stay alert. If something comes along don't wait for the booming voice in the clouds...it probably came along because it was sent.

I think this is a straw man parable. I know zero Christians who think like the person in the story.

evanescentworld

Well, the OP does, for one.

And I've met a couple, actually.....

• Like 2
todreaminblue

as another poster said our prayers get answered sometimes but not in the way we want....some times we have to solve problems ourselves....like bad marriage...counselling for instance an effort on two peoples behalf....god doesnt fight all our battles..........

when i have had to literally fight for my right to stand up for myself or for others.....physically ill give one example ...

there was this guy on the ground a drunk.....and he was getting the stuffing kicked out of him...now i prayed for someone else to stop it...i begged i pleaded to god......and then i couldnt take doing nothing...my heart hurt........so i got down over him and covered him with my body and all i could stay is stop......now i didnt get my prayer answered ..other than i at least didnt get any kicks.......but i believed god touched the heart of the man kicking the guy in the head..because he stopped......but i had to be the one who instigated change.......when that guy got up...he wasnt very grateful ...maybe he expected god to let him win i dont know.......but as he walked away he said to me "you look like a slut".......well i looked pretty bad as i had my stockings all ripped up when i got down ov3er him......sh0ows lack of gratefulness huh......i am just grateful that i was able to help......even if the guy wasn't.....he could have died......he was out....

now this to me illustrates god moves in mysterious ways

i believe he gives me anxiety sometimes which pushes me to change something or not do something or do something.....to change what is going on ,around or in me....to make something better.....

maybe there is a way better job for you on the horizon and god is teaching you to be patient....good things come to those who wait......

all i know is i am grateful to god....praying doesnt make life a dream....but praying is a realization that dreams can come true by gods gentle touch........i truly believe you should thank more times than you ask for something......that you be grateful for things that others might not have that you do have...that when the way becomes rough....that you keep praying and finding little things to be grateful for.....there have been a few times in my life when all was hopeless...i was alone and scared ........and hurt........

i thought god had forgotten about me and that i must have been really bad to have the things happen to me......that's what the world wanted me to believe god didnt want me to feel or believe that...........he never gave up on me even when i had given up on myself.......and he has touched my life in many ways........always.......i am a survivor through god's acceptance of me, his love for me....doesnt mean my life has been peachy and i get everything or i avoid getting hurt or feeling hopeless....what it does mean is i have god to pray to when things get hard.....which they will......its the ways of the world not god.........

and sometimes god needs us to make a little effort to stay true to him through it all.sometimes we are the ones who need to act to instigate change.........life is a test you know....its up to you whether you study and pass or fail....only you can know what you need to do .....and if you listen to your heart and you thank god for all the little things you would somehow overlook....you will be just fine......marriage is sanctified of god and through god....but you and your wife need to work at it......thats something you can change from right now.......in your heart .....remember why you married her in the first place and want to make it better......talk to her be honest adn get back that spark you had at the very beginning..........

the story the other poster said about the helicopter and the boats.....that poster was touched enough by your post to remember and posted it for you.....god moves in intricate ways i feel even on here by touching peoples hearts though others.......you have to open your heart and listen because that voice is nor a booming voice....its in the stillness of a whisper that only you can hear......or a message in a post by another poster who remembered a boat story..the message is there...if you listen ..deb

• Like 4
GorillaTheater
Well, the OP does, for one.

And I've met a couple, actually.....

The problem with this guy, at least as his posts seem to indicate, is that he's not geared towards solving his problems himself. Like the chick in Streetcar Named Desire, he depends on the kindness of strangers. Or his wife, God, or the next-door neighbors.

His problem isn't religion, it's getting off his ass.

• Like 3
todreaminblue
I think this is a straw man parable. I know zero Christians who think like the person in the story.

please xplain straw man parable mouse a and why do you think there are zero christians who think like this.....deb

please xplain straw man parable mouse a and why do you think there are zero christians who think like this.....deb

Straw man means you create an argument or belief and claim that another person holds this; then you proceed to counter the argument which they don't even hold. The purpose is to either simply a person's argument so you can counter it better or to simply make them look bad.

I don't believe any Christians are like the man in the story above. Most Christians know that God works through people and events. Nobody would stand there as they're drowning and refuse a helicopter rescue. It's either a hyperbole or a straw man story.

todreaminblue
Straw man means you create an argument or belief and claim that another person holds this; then you proceed to counter the argument which they don't even hold. The purpose is to either simply a person's argument so you can counter it better or to simply make them look bad.

I don't believe any Christians are like the man in the story above. Most Christians know that God works through people and events. Nobody would stand there as they're drowning and refuse a helicopter rescue. It's either a hyperbole or a straw man story.

thankyou for your explanation i wish i could just pull a memory of a similar story from a parable in the bible...

i do think its an exaggeration.....but i actually think its likely that people get what they prayed for but are looking for an exact response to a prayer, therefore overlook what is in front of their eyes.......

i found this though fro the op i was lookign for a parable similar to teh boat story.......

"Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart" (Luke 18:1)

Persistence is key .......found this

(Luke 18:2-5). A widow requests justice from a judge, who for a while refuses to act. However, the widow's persistence finally leads him to avenge her "lest by her continual coming she weary me"( Luke 18:5). We must learn the lesson well from this determined widow: don't quit praying!

I also found a verse that said we must pray according to gods will not our own pleasures.......and to not lose heart.......

mouse a...how many times do you feel people overlook a prayer answered because they feel it isnt good enough......they expect more....i do feel people do this i even think i am probably guilty of this......as i have prayed in the past to satisfy my own longings......and not prayed according to gods will......i do feel people do this.....and i do feel that sometimes god goes nah ...this is what i want for you ....and we overlook his will in favor of our own....christian does not make us.......impervious to being human and overlooking heaven sent answers to our prayers.....

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

John 5:14 for the op

....deb

Pray not for the outcome to be how you perceive but the strength to see you thru your quandry.

Then as others posed, Use the gifts bestowed to you to change that which can be done. Be the foot soldier and not the heel.

• Like 3

I have encountered many. They are so hooked on a specific outcome/action or to literally have God speak to them that they wait. What tends to happen is God does his thing as opportunities float on by but the voice the person believes is God is really their own giving them the answer they really want or think is most pleasing to God because of how they have interpreted something. I had one instance where I was to the point of choking the poor fella. He chose prayer and no action (God will take care of it) verses taking action and prayer and as a result has a terrible relationship with his daughter. God didn't give you a brain (or talent) to waste. Use it~

• Author

Thanks for the responses. It's funny how a post about God and prayer will bringing about black and white posts from people. Let's not make this a theological debate. Yes, for some reason my prayer has not been answered concerning things. But I do believe my prayers have been answered in the past. Perhaps I have fooled myself with a few things I believed to be answers. Perhaps some answers were outright miraculous. All I know, is, even if I go through my struggles, get mad at God, rebel, I will always return to prayer. Why? Because it's in my nature to do so. And that in itself might very well be a miracle.

• Like 1

For me, I don't see it as God answering my prayers or not answering them- it's about His will for my life. I know what the truth is for the most part and if things go wrong or whatever, it's most likely something I messed up on- He always fixes my messes, but I do have to go through some of the mess.

• Like 2
evanescentworld
For me, I don't see it as God answering my prayers or not answering them- it's about His will for my life. I know what the truth is for the most part and if things go wrong or whatever, it's most likely something I messed up on- He always fixes my messes, but I do have to go through some of the mess.

Why is it that when things go belly-up, it's 'our fault' but when things go right, 'he's fixed it'...?

Why is it never, "God let crap things happen in my life, but then I changed what I did and it all came good?"

On the balance of probability, and looking at the way religion and fanatical belief is messing up this world, right now - I would venture to suggest that the latter is more accurate.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
Why is it that when things go belly-up, it's 'our fault' but when things go right, 'he's fixed it'...?

Why is it never, "God let crap things happen in my life, but then I changed what I did and it all came good?"

On the balance of probability, and looking at the way religion and fanatical belief is messing up this world, right now - I would venture to suggest that the latter is more accurate.

“Love the moment. Flowers grow out of dark moments. Therefore, each moment is vital. It affects the whole. Life is a succession of such moments and to live each, is to succeed.”

― Corita Kent

success is accepting the belly up moments and growing from them

John 15:1-6 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes {the same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing} to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed {the same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing} by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.” (emphasis mine)

bad things can be a cleansing a way for you to become stronger and succeed more in life......you are told to thank god not only when things are good but to thank him for everything.,.....

or this

I Thessalonians 5:18 – In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

I Peter 4:16 – Yet, if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

I used to be ashamed of all the bad things that have happened in my life made me feel dirty used ..sub human..hope less.......i dont anymore.....the reason is ...through god and for god i found a way.......for me not to be ashamed...to have an understanding that as i walk live and breathe theres a reason a time and a place for everything.......and i will have crappy times.....no doubt about it......but i always know theres a light at the end......always......the tunnel cant go on forever, god wont let it be more than i can handle..... any path i choose..and i always ask his advice.....sometimes i dont get an answer because the choice needs to be made by me....its not gods fault it what he gave us in agency to choose..............and sometimes i can pick really crappy paths.......but...when i pick the right path ......i dont look back on the bed times in anger....i am glad they are over...i thank god they are......rainbows after rain are always the best...they even smell good......deb .....

• Like 2
evanescentworld
success is accepting the belly up moments and growing from them

Which was my point...

bad things can be a cleansing a way for you to become stronger and succeed more in life......you are told to thank god not only when things are good but to thank him for everything.,.....

Which I find is a rarely happens....

todreaminblue
Which was my point...

Which I find is a rarely happens....

I respect what you feel and what you have found.....

it is all personal perception......you see what you want see..

i see that it isnt rare......therefore to me it is truth......we all have our own truths......what we believe to be true or not we both have rights to what we believe in....deb.

• Like 2

You know, thinking I'm getting out of the thought process of things going neither right or wrong, it's about Gods will for my life and I would like to note the terms used- "my", "for me" and "most likely" making it personal rather that general statements.

IMO, man screws up and God fixes it. In the instances where bad things happen void of any human intervention, I don't have an answer for that, not one that is acceptable based on past experiences on LS.

Based on experience and a lot of it, there's nothing I can do without God that turns out right- I've tried.

I would assume you are speaking of ISIS. I would debate that this is less about religion and more about power and control- religion being the excuse. What has been going on concerning ISIS is not human.

• Like 3
evanescentworld

I would assume you are speaking of ISIS. I would debate that this is less about religion and more about power and control- religion being the excuse. What has been going on concerning ISIS is not human.

It is both.

To those Islamists it is very definitely about THEIR religion being in Complete Power and Control.

• Like 1

Hang in there buddy. It can be very frustrating.