Meditation: kriya yoga

If you get the chance to be initiated in kriya yoga, take it. You don't have to be any particular religion as they believe in the unity of all religions. It's a meditation combination of spinal exercises, breathing, and perceiving light and sound. It's the most calming experience and your life will feel better and you might even experience little miracles or synchronicities.

I didn't know there was a video of the guru, Paramahamsa Prajnananda, who initiated me a few years ago and I just watched it. It brought back sweet memories, reinforced things I'd forgotten and I learned more about his personal life, which I found fascinating and inspiring. It's about an hour and ten minutes so settle down one evening and watch to see if this resonates with you. Starts and ends with a short guided meditation.

His accent might be a bit difficult for some. Hint: He pronounces 'sh' sounds like 'ss' but you should get used to it. Such a sweet, lovely man who can be funny and relevant because he is still relatively young. It's doubtful you will be initiated by him unless you get lucky because he seldom travels any more. You can be initiated by one of the monks, though. Sign up for alerts.

Kriya Yoga website

• Like 1
pureinheart

A friend of mine is a Yoga instructor? Is that what they call them? Anyway, she has classes. I hear Yoga is really good for you...thanks FC:)

• Author

Most Westerners think yoga is just a type of exercise. This confusion is addressed in that video, where he talks about the true meaning of yoga and the different types of yoga. Kriya Yoga is the most ancient. It isn't a form of exercise even though some postures and breathing are involved. It is an ancient type of meditation. I posted this because every so often people ask for help with meditation. Better to start with the original one, thousands of years old.

Of course if people want to do hatha yoga, which is the physical form of exercise that your friend teaches, there is no harm in it.

Edited by FitChick
If you get the chance to be initiated in kriya yoga, take it. You don't have to be any particular religion as they believe in the unity of all religions. It's a meditation combination of spinal exercises, breathing, and perceiving light and sound. It's the most calming experience and your life will feel better and you might even experience little miracles or synchronicities.

I didn't know there was a video of the guru, Paramahamsa Prajnananda, who initiated me a few years ago

I didn't know you were initiated.

This is Kriya, supported by the eight limbs of practice outlined in Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, correct?

The one that includes Harmlessness and Nonacquiring as yamas?

• Author

Have a look and listen at the website. There is plenty of information in the link I provided. There will be a kriya initiation in London at the end of November and I am toying with the idea of going, since I normally go to the UK in the autumn, just to show support and meet other kriyavans.

This organization also supports a school in India, where I sponsor a child, and provides medical care to the community. Wish I had more money to give. Would like to visit someday.

(wish I went to such a school as a child!)
Have a look and listen at the website. There is plenty of information in the link I provided. There will be a kriya initiation in London at the end of November and I am toying with the idea of going, since I normally go to the UK in the autumn, just to show support and meet other kriyavans.

This organization also supports a school in India, where I sponsor a child, and provides medical care to the community. Wish I had more money to give. Would like to visit someday.

(wish I went to such a school as a child!)

There's too much information in the link you provided!

A video over an hour long?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

It's fine if you can't answer my question, or prefer not to.

I'm pretty sure the Kriya you're referencing is one and the same.

Will be interesting to follow your posts.

Shanti out.

• 1 month later...
Well, Paramahamsa Prajnananda, you win some, you lose some, eh?

The video is too long? I thought yoga was supposed to teach you patience?

• Like 2
The video is too long? I thought yoga was supposed to teach you patience?

Hahahaha....

Kriya is a great philosophy and when it's actually adhered to--versus just given lip service--it can develop some remarkable individuals.

It's a bit of a trendy niche thing in California.

Some people pick it up as they would a pair of yoga pants or buddha painting...because it looks good.

And oh! Those exotic names!!

Shiva give me strength. :rolleyes:

• Like 2