do you believe in psychic?

I saw a psychic about a week ago.

She was right on the money about me. I didn't speak much.

How do psychic do it?

She knew I was going through a break up.

She knew I was going to school for law.

Enjoy the current man I'm with, but don't do anything serious with him.

She even told me give my ex three months and he will come Back.

She told me he wasn't in the town. He was very far away. (He's in California for vaca)

I'm taking this with lightly but at the same time.... I hope she's right. :p

Watch the Mentalist or Psych on TV. These people aren't clairvoyant. They read non-verbal cues & clues better than most & manipulate suckers, I mean clients, with the power of suggestion.

I think they can be fun but I wouldn't base life decisions around them.

Over the years I have had so called psychics tell me I'd never be married (I am married) and that I'd have two kids (I can't have kids).

The last one I saw said she saw water & romance in my future. DH & I had booked a cruise earlier in the week; I suspect she heard me talking about it before she "read" me.

• Like 2

Psychics use psychological tactics like "cold reading".

It is what it is. If you find them fun, go for it, just keep in mind they simply use psychology, not their 6th sense:)

• Like 1

OP ~ if psychic powers are real, how exactly do they work, in your opinion? Does the "universe" or a higher power send a psychic the answers? Or does the psychic have the ability to truly see into the future/past, independently (in other words, completely defying the laws of nature that we know)?

If you believe in the power of a psychic, what other sort of spiritual/metaphysical things do you believe in?

• Like 1
Always Pondering

So... October? I'll try to remember about this thread until then. ;)

My friend went to someone who talked to spirits and apparently predicted right that his dad's wife was killed in a car accident and that my friend keeps a box of his ex's photos hidden in his drawer (specifically, what type of box too). It could have been a lucky guess or maybe she really is genuine. I was invited to this opportunity but I had work. I wish I could have gone just to see if she really could have predicted things about my life without knowing me at all.

Personally, I don't really believe in it but I've never been to a psychic so I can't say fully. Whether or not I believe in psychics though, I'm curious for the entertainment value so I may go see one sometime in the near future just to see!

I've been to a hypnotist before but that miserably failed and I almost wanted to play along at the time just so I wouldn't make them feel bad. I've heard hypnosis is one of those things where you have to actually believe in it for it to possibly work though so there's that.

• Like 1
I've been to a hypnotist before but that miserably failed and I almost wanted to play along at the time just so I wouldn't make them feel bad. I've heard hypnosis is one of those things where you have to actually believe in it for it to possibly work though so there's that.

It seems to be related to essential brain characteristics, not belief or personality.

The study used data from functional and structural magnetic resonance imaging to identify how the areas of the brain associated with executive control and attention tend to have less activity in people who cannot be put into a hypnotic trance.

The researcher estimates that 25 percent of the patients he sees cannot be hypnotized. He adds that the ability to be hypnotized is not linked with any specific personality trait. “There’s got to be something going on in the brain,” he said.

Not Getting Sleepy? Not Everyone Can Be Hypnotized | Psych Central News

There are certainly a lot of fakes but researchers who investigate so-called psychic phenomena are claiming some very interesting repeatable results in the laboratory. That combined with a wealth of anecdotal accounts of psychics locating victims for the police, make me think there is something to all of this.

Would I believe a psychic I paid on the telephone? Hell no. Cold reading techniques, leading a person from the specific to the general, secret background searches, and reasonable guesses can explain a lot of what impresses people.

Robert you are correct but ill go one further.

There are certain paranormal abilities that have been scientifically proven such as remote viewing. the government actually did a multi year study then let an independent scientist look over the results and she determined that remote viewing had been scientifically proven by every normal measurement of science.

Entangled Minds: Skeptic agrees that remote viewing is proven

In 1995, the US Congress asked two independent scientists to assess whether the $20 million that the government had spent on psychic research had produced anything of value. And the conclusions proved to be somewhat unexpected.

Professor Jessica Utts, a statistician from the University of California, discovered that remote viewers were correct 34 per cent of the time, a figure way beyond what chance guessing would allow.

She says: "Using the standards applied to any other area of science, you have to conclude that certain psychic phenomena, such as remote viewing, have been well established.

"The results are not due to chance or flaws in the experiments."

Watch the Mentalist or Psych on TV. These people aren't clairvoyant. They read non-verbal cues & clues better than most & manipulate suckers, I mean clients, with the power of suggestion.

I think they can be fun but I wouldn't base life decisions around them.

Over the years I have had so called psychics tell me I'd never be married (I am married) and that I'd have two kids (I can't have kids).

The last one I saw said she saw water & romance in my future. DH & I had booked a cruise earlier in the week; I suspect she heard me talking about it before she "read" me.

Just curious, did you go to them for the sport of it? It sure sounds like it :p.

Just to make a little contribution. Read up on the Barnum effect (just google it, it is very well documented).

Yes, Priv I went to them for the sport. Once in high school some friends & I drove to one intentionally. Mostly it was because they were there. One was in Jackson Square in New Orleans; on vacation friends & I saw her empty table & sat down. In a town whose reputation is based on voodoo we had to see what the spirits had in store for us. :D. Others were more like party / entertainment at fundraisers. The one who predicted my cruise was hired by a friend as the entertainment for one of her Halloween parties to invoke the occult for the holiday.

• Like 2
I saw a psychic about a week ago.

She was right on the money about me. I didn't speak much.

How do psychic do it?

She knew I was going through a break up.

She knew I was going to school for law.

Enjoy the current man I'm with, but don't do anything serious with him.

She even told me give my ex three months and he will come Back.

She told me he wasn't in the town. He was very far away. (He's in California for vaca)

I'm taking this with lightly but at the same time.... I hope she's right. :p

they will always tell you what you want to hear

they need you to be happy and come back again

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

I think there are plenty of wackadoos out their just chomping on the bit to empty your pockets BUT I also happen to know there are some people who really have the gift.

One of my girlfriends has the ability to receive messages. She does not use her gift to make money and in fact, she is employed as an insurance adjuster and has been working for the same company for almost 20 years.

She says her "gift" is both a blessing and curse. She struggles to keep it in check most often so she can live a "normal" life but also understands how it can help some people.

When she does choose to read or channel, she is bang f*cking on about things, it's almost scary.

But yes, overall, psychic readings should be done on fun and taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Author
they will always tell you what you want to hear

they need you to be happy and come back again

She told me he wasn't my future husband.

That if we did get back together it would be temporary

We would break up again in December.