"Son of God" Movie

I'm planning on seeing this opening weekend. I got a free movie ticket from work. :)

Anybody have any first impressions based on the previews? So far it looks pretty true to Scripture. The only inconsistency I can see (and this is minor) is they made Jesus an attractive man, whereas in Isaiah we are told there was nothing about his physical appearance that would attract us. But, hey, what do you expect from Hollywood? They gotta make a buck. :)

Please post your thoughts after you see it. I am thinking about it, but I hate when they diverge wildly from Scripture, so I'll be interested to know.

Yes! We are going to see it this weekend too! I found this interesting piece a quote from Roma Downey:

When we were on set and we were about to shoot the crucifixion sequence, which was the most challenging of sequences logistically, spiritually, emotionally -- we asked everybody we knew to send prayers to make sure that we would get through that one.

And we had a man whose job it was on the set to clear snakes and scorpions. And on any given day, maybe he cleared one or two snakes. On the morning of the crucifixion, he got up to the set and he had a cloth bag on the side of the road that was writhing. And had cleared over 40 snakes from around the foot of the cross.

And you know, I think the symbolism of the snake wasn't lost on any of us, and we couldn't help but feel it was like a spiritual clearing had gone in ahead. And we certainly have felt all through the project, all through the film, that there has been a kind of spiritual clearing, because I think that this film is very important, particularly for our new generation that they would know and understand Jesus, that they would have an opportunity to see what an amazing man he was and how much God loved us that he sent us Jesus.

Pardon? You say you were on set while this movie was filmed?

:confused: No I said I found an interesting piece, reading a blog I found a quote when Roma was interviewed from another source on this blog. Want a link?

I was researching how true to scripture it was going to be. I found out there's going to be some discrepancies, some big according to my beliefs however if it gets people talking about and to be more aware of Jesus that's great! But I will be happy to post a link for the whole blog if you wish.:)

• Author
:confused: No I said I found an interesting piece, reading a blog I found a quote when Roma was interviewed from another source on this blog. Want a link?

I was researching how true to scripture it was going to be. I found out there's going to be some discrepancies, some big according to my beliefs however if it gets people talking about and to be more aware of Jesus that's great! But I will be happy to post a link for the whole blog if you wish.:)

Ok I didn't see that.

I agree that there are usually big discrepancies with Jesus movies and Scripture. It kind of has to be this way. Hollywood has to sell. And we know from Scripture that the truth rarely sells. I just hope it's at least fairly accurate.

I am not referring here to technical accuracy. There is no way to quote Jesus verbatim for 2 hours. There aren't enough Scripture verses to do this. Eventually you must take at least some artistic license.

With that being said, my main beef usually is about the philosophy or presentation. Most Jesus movies fall into 2 categories: those that suggest Jesus' kingdom is of THIS world, and those that suggest his kingdom is NOT of this world. The former usually makes it appear as if Jesus is promoting social causes, advancing his power in this world, and these movies tend to overemphasize his human aspect. The latter (what I believe to be correct one) shows that Jesus is NOT of this world. He doesn't fight for political power, he cares about people's HEARTS and not social causes which fail to impact people's hearts, and he often seems irrelevant to the flesh but highly relevant to the spirit. I hope this movie is the latter.

• Like 1
Ok I didn't see that.

I agree that there are usually big discrepancies with Jesus movies and Scripture. It kind of has to be this way. Hollywood has to sell. And we know from Scripture that the truth rarely sells. I just hope it's at least fairly accurate.

I am not referring here to technical accuracy. There is no way to quote Jesus verbatim for 2 hours. There aren't enough Scripture verses to do this. Eventually you must take at least some artistic license.

With that being said, my main beef usually is about the philosophy or presentation. Most Jesus movies fall into 2 categories: those that suggest Jesus' kingdom is of THIS world, and those that suggest his kingdom is NOT of this world. The former usually makes it appear as if Jesus is promoting social causes, advancing his power in this world, and these movies tend to overemphasize his human aspect. The latter (what I believe to be correct one) shows that Jesus is NOT of this world. He doesn't fight for political power, he cares about people's HEARTS and not social causes which fail to impact people's hearts, and he often seems irrelevant to the flesh but highly relevant to the spirit. I hope this movie is the latter.

That's interesting, I didn't realize movies have that secular worldly spin on Jesus. And yeah, I'm not surprised about the discrepancies it's just I don't like the watered down versions or the Hallmark feel good warm fuzzies because being a Christian isn't about the warm fuzzies. It's about love but not Hollywood's version of that and following Christ's example.

I read where the last supper is done more as a "goodbye to friends" type thing and no where mentions the institution of the Eucharist which is the truth all throughout scripture and beyond by apostolic tradition. But ah well where's the zipped mouth smilie? :laugh: Like I said if it brings people to talking more about Jesus that's great. Already got our advance tickets for tomorrow! :)

Edited to add I should have put quotes around the paragraph to avoid confusion, sorry about that.

• Like 1

From advertisements the movie appeared to have many of the same scenes as "The Bible". It aired last year on the History Channel. I felt an anointing from this mini series. It changed my life literally. God used this series in a big way.

The guy that plays Jesus, he's the next to perfect choice…it's interesting because my daughters father resembles him and especially his demeanor before he got mean. His son from his second marriage could be his double, just a younger version.

It's anointed without a doubt.

Edited by pureinheart
  • Like 1
I think it will be DECENT. What I'm expecting to be a complete Scriptural botch-job is "Noah".

Are they making a "Noah" movie? If so, interesting timing eh?

• Author
Are they making a "Noah" movie? If so, interesting timing eh?

I know they're putting a climate change or global warming spin on "Noah". Like I said, they almost have to since it's Hollywood. Also there is no mention of the Nephilim in the movie--regardless of what a person interprets the Nephilim to be.

Ok I didn't see that.

M30, I just want to say this. I love the way you communicate, it makes learning the Word much easier, and you have a gift. Also you have an unusual ability to tie in the Word with current events or happenings. Thank you.

I'm just amazed everyday by the insight most of the LS members, the ability to communicate, it's truly a blessing:)

Anyway, the mini series brought me to my knees after somewhat of a lengthy stent of a backslidden state. I was on the way out, but the chain of events that took place afterwards, well it's only Jesus that kept me alive.

M30, what I really like about the person playing Jesus is his emotions are real and I would say Biblical. He depicts the joy, compassion, and I love how he deals with the Pharisees! I think people have a "doormat" view of Jesus and Christians. His portrayal gives a more balanced impression-

• Like 1
I know they're putting a climate change or global warming spin on "Noah". Like I said, they almost have to since it's Hollywood. Also there is no mention of the Nephilim in the movie--regardless of what a person interprets the Nephilim to be.

From what I've been studying, the impression I get is the results of the Nephilim were the last straw for God. IMO it's impossible to leave them out. It's the major connection to the verse, "as in the days of Noah" (paraphrase), but like you said, it's Hollywood!

You know, that would be a fascinating aspect to include the Nephilim. I wonder if it's because most don't understand this, meaning it's a controversial subject…hummm Hollywood loves controversy:confused:

The global warming spin doesn't surprise me:D personally, I believe it to be "birth pangs".

• Author
From what I've been studying, the impression I get is the results of the Nephilim were the last straw for God. IMO it's impossible to leave them out. It's the major connection to the verse, "as in the days of Noah" (paraphrase), but like you said, it's Hollywood!

You know, that would be a fascinating aspect to include the Nephilim. I wonder if it's because most don't understand this, meaning it's a controversial subject…hummm Hollywood loves controversy:confused:

The global warming spin doesn't surprise me:D personally, I believe it to be "birth pangs".

I agree that God's reason for flood was both moral corruption and genetic corruption.

I also agree that climate change and damage to the planet is correlated to end times--but it's primarily due to man's corruption and sin, not our "carbon footprint". I believe the latter is just a sneaky change of perception by Satan. (Was the original curse on nature after Eden the result of Adam's "carbon footprint"? No.)

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 1
Wow, so he opens up a can on the Pharisees? Nice!

Oh, he completely puts them in their place. M30, it's the way he does it…this actor and the script are amazing.

He's kind of mellow, but stern with the Romans. It speaks a very comprehendible message of the political situation of that day. I really don't feel that PP wanted to kill Jesus and never have. PP didn't want an uprising of the Jews. I was shocked at the politics involved with the death of Jesus, but as we know, it was God's will.

One moving and powerful part was when Jesus was in the Temple reciting Scripture from Isaiah proclaiming Himself to be God-wow, you could feel what everyone was thinking, both pro and con…the fear of His followers, His mother and her knowledge and fear. M30, I felt like I was right there, and in fact most of the mini series made me feel this way.

Now some parts I felt more emphasis should have been placed, but all in all they did a good job.

I just want to put out there that others who have played the part of Jesus were very good, and I am in no way demeaning their work. Some people are just made for particular roles.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the DVD because I will go down in the Spirit- can you imagine someone screaming in a theatre, "praise you Jesus" over and over…this happened at home and I'm not the type to hold back- worship of Jesus has always been hard to contain:laugh:

• Like 1
I'm planning on seeing this opening weekend. I got a free movie ticket from work. :)

Anybody have any first impressions based on the previews? So far it looks pretty true to Scripture. The only inconsistency I can see (and this is minor) is they made Jesus an attractive man, whereas in Isaiah we are told there was nothing about his physical appearance that would attract us. But, hey, what do you expect from Hollywood? They gotta make a buck. :)

It looks like the same character from the bible series on history channel.

Pretty good rendition! I think Gospel of John is the most accurate (minus the guy from Lost with the English accent that plays Jesus). Verbatim from the gospel...

The Visual Bible - Gospel of John - YouTube

• Like 1

Hey M30, you said you are seeing the movie this weekend. If you feel led and when you have time, I would really like to hear what you think.

TheFinalWord
DESMOND!? No freaking way! LOL

haha yeah! Here is Desmond driving out the money changers :D