What are you giving up for Lent if anything?

I'm not a good Catholic But I do like Lent! It's neat to see what you can give up that you love and then give the money you saved to someone. I'm giving up meats and sweets and giving the money to help stop child abuse. Anyone else giving something up for Lent???! My roommate is giving up coffee and she's athetist.

I don't believe in doing special things during special times. Some years ago, if Catholics were forbidden from eating meat on Friday as a remembrance of the crucifixion. But you got to eat some great fish and I don't think many people thought about Jesus while they were eating fish. Now it's OK to eat whatever you want. I feel real bad about those people who got sent to purgatory for eating meat on Fridays back in those days.

It's great if you want to make some personal sacrifice for Lent. But if I have a cause I want to give to, I don't wait until a special time to do it. I try to be nice and generous to people all the time rather than wait for the Christmas holidays. I don't wait for special occasions to do special things in life for others. If think you will be much healthier if you eliminate sweets year 'round and go easy on the meats so as it relates to your health, this will be more of a good thing for you than any kind of Lenten sacrifice.

Now, if Lent is really important to you and you want to do something really special why not try fasting once a week. I promise not eating anything all day once a week during Lent will be something that will leave an impression with the man upstairs.

i was going to give up smoking. i told my bf, he like oh, so you will give it up for God, but not for me? so he wrote on the calander on march 3, that i am quitting smoking for greg, not jesus.

Originally posted by moimeme

I was once given up for Lent!

That's cause you lost your tail Moimeme.....okay....I'll stop the tail jokes. :)

Feb 25....I'm not Catholic. If I were though....I would honor the holiday by giving up something which I felt would signify my relationship with God. I think it's a wonderful gesture for a wonderful God.

I'm giving up riding naked on a camel backward through the desert at noon and smoking cigars while holding a scorpion in one hand, after eating beans and trying not to fart. Oh wait.....

I'm not religious, but I guess if you give up something for god then it should be something that is difficult to give up. I never heard the part about giving the money to someone though.

CaterpillarGirl

Well, a priest once told our parish that instead of giving something up for Lent, we ought to do something "extra," i.e. volunteer at a homeless shelter, fundraise for kids with diabetes, etc. Which, now that I think about it, is sort of giving up your free time.

Anyway, that's always stuck with me, so at Lent, I just try a little bit harder. One year, I vowed to make one person smile everyday. Another Lent, I volunteered at a soup kitchen and ended up staying on for 2 1/2 years. I think sacrifices are nice, too, as long as it comes with a reflection on why you are sacrificing it. Not, "I can't believe I gave up Bingo; I hope God is keeping score here" or "At least giving up chocolate will help me lose weight!"

I've long since given up on giving anything up for Lent. I'm deprived of more than enough already.