The Ask Rashad About Islam Thread.

The reason I'm starting this thread is because, I feel like many members here are seriously ill informed about Islam, so I'm here to answer all of your questions. I know you are going to ask, what branch of Islam do you follow? how do we know that this is not a softer photo-shopped version of Islam? I say I follow The Holy Quran, and that's where my answers are going to be from, with quotations from the Quran together with the number of verse and chapter so that everybody can verify it for themselves.

Remember Islam is what the Quran says it is, its not how Muslims behave!

The Collector

Hi Rashad,

How does the Quran say the Universe began, and how do you reconcile any differences between this explanation (if any) and any other discrepancies between your religion and evidence-based science?

x

Hi Rashad,

How does the Quran say the Universe began, and how do you reconcile any differences between this explanation (if any) and any other discrepancies between your religion and evidence-based science?

x

The same way we Christians do. God was the enabler and therefore the creator. Dur. ;)

Edit: Also, to give the Quran credit, it did advise that the moon is illuminated at night by the sun, and that the earth is not the center of the universe long before science proved these things to be true.

Edited by TheLoneSock
The Collector
The same way we Christians do. God was the enabler and therefore the creator. Dur. ;)

Well, The Bible goes into more detail, and many fundamentalist Christians believe it is literally true. I genuinely don't know about the Koran's version, or Rashid's personal views on the subject, hence the question.

• Author
Mary 19:34-35

That is Jesus, son of Mary, in word of truth, concerning which they are doubting.

It is not for God to take a son unto Him. Glory be to Him, when He determines a matter he says to it, 'Be, and it is

An-Nisa 4:156-158

156. And [We cursed them] for their disbelief and their saying gainst Mary a great slander,

157. And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him,for certain

158. Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise.

So here you go, The Holy Quran says that Jesus PBUH is NOT the son of God but rather a messenger, like Moses and Mohammad PBUT. Furthermore Muslims do NOT believe that Jesus PBUH was crucified as the latter verse clearly states that Allah saved and raised him, we do not believe that he died for our sins. These are the major differences between Islam and Christianity faith wise concerning Jesus PBUH.

I want to make it clear that this thread is for educational purposes, I'm not saying you should believe the Islamic version and disbelieve the Christian one, I'm just saying if ever anybody tries to misinform you about Islam and its opinion on Jesus, you know better.

GorillaTheater

There's something that I've found troubling: slavery in the Moslem world. Perhaps more specifically the Arab world, and hence my question.

The New Testament has a pretty neutral viewpoint towards slavery, not advocating it but urging that slaves be treated well. The Old Testament didn't advocate slavery either; it usually recommended that outsiders be killed rather than enslaved. So far as I'm aware, and putting aside for the moment aspects of forced labor in the colonial world, Brazil was the last country in the "Christian" world to abolish slavery.

But slavery was legal in Saudi Arabia until 1962, in Oman until 1970, and is still apparently practiced in Mauretania and Sudan. Is there anything in Islam that advocates slavery, or are we looking at a conservative Arab cultural construct?

• Author
Hi Rashad,

x

Allah says

Quran 41:11

11. Then turned He to the heaven when it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly."

By coming into being "willingly" implies that the were formed following a natural order not by compulsion or direct physical creation.

Quran 03:190

190. Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding –

Quran 21:30 and 33

30. Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?

33. And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun

and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming.

If you are a science nerd :p I'm sure you are aware of how bodies separate, cool down and assume orbits, this does not conflict with the big bang theory.

Quran 36:38

38. And the sun runs [on course] toward its stopping point. That

is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing.

The sun is slowing down, read about it.

Quran 51:47

47. And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are expanding it.

Now that is pretty big bang... the universe IS expanding.

Quran 55:37

37. And when the heaven is rent asunder and made (to resemble) a reddish oil colored rose.

look at pictures of Supernovas.

These are some of the verses concerning the heavens and creation.

The Collector

Thanks, most illuminating.

What does the Quran say about the end of the world, or judgment day, or any of that silliness I understand from the Christian Bible?

Is the House of Islam always and literally in physically violent opposition to the House of War?

Is President Obama and infidel or an apostate?

• Author
There's something that I've found troubling: slavery in the Moslem world. Perhaps more specifically the Arab world, and hence my question.

The New Testament has a pretty neutral viewpoint towards slavery, not advocating it but urging that slaves be treated well. The Old Testament didn't advocate slavery either; it usually recommended that outsiders be killed rather than enslaved. So far as I'm aware, and putting aside for the moment aspects of forced labor in the colonial world, Brazil was the last country in the "Christian" world to abolish slavery.

But slavery was legal in Saudi Arabia until 1962, in Oman until 1970, and is still apparently practiced in Mauretania and Sudan. Is there anything in Islam that advocates slavery, or are we looking at a conservative Arab cultural construct?

As far as I know, the Quran does not abolish slavery in a clear cut form but it praises people who free slaves

Quran 02:177

177. Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west [in prayer], but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and to ransom the slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah (alms); [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.

However the number of slaves in the Arabic peninsula decrease significantly after Islam, because in Islam the repentance for certain sins involves freeing a slave.

Quran 04:92

92. And never is it for a believer to kill a believer except by mistake. And whoever kills a believer by mistake – then the freeing of a believing slave and a compensation payment [diyah] presented to his [i.e., the deceased's] family [is required], unless they give [up their right as] charity. But if he [i.e., the deceased] was from a people at war with you and he was a believer –then [only] the freeing of a believing slave; and if he was from a people with whom you have a treaty – then a compensation payment presented to his family and the freeing of a believing slave. And whoever does not find [one or cannot afford to buy

one] – then [instead], a fast for two months consecutively,[seeking] acceptance of repentance from Allah. And Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.

So if you kill a believer by "accident" or "mistakenly"... also if you kill a non-believe "people with whom we Muslims have a peace treaty i.e they have agreed to not harm us" we are to free a slave and pay compensations

Quran 05:89

89. Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] – then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses [i.e., revealed law] that you may be grateful.

Also if you break an oath "a serious" oath for it is clear that Allah pardons us for meaningless joking oaths, we have to free a slave in repentance. Here it is not stated that the slave has to be a believer.

Hope this helps.

Hello :)

I am a Christian and I have a question.

The prayer said by Muslims five times per day. Is this a singular prayer? If so, what is the translation please.

Take care,

Eve xx

• Author
Thanks, most illuminating.

What does the Quran say about the end of the world, or judgment day, or any of that silliness I understand from the Christian Bible?

Quran 81:1-3

1. When the sun is wrapped up [in darkness]

2. And when the stars lose their light

3. And when the mountains are set in motion and made to sweep away like mirage.

Quran 82:1-6

1. When the sky breaks apart

2. And when the stars fall, scattering,

3. And when the seas are erupted

4. And when the [contents of] graves are scattered [i.e., exposed],

5. A soul will [then] know what it has put forth and kept back.

6. O mankind, what has deceived you concerning your Lord, the

Generous,

This may sound cinematic, but seriously any crack in the universe's balance and we might see all this.

Quran 14:48

48. [it will be] on the Day the earth will be replaced by another earth, and the heavens [as well], and they [i.e., all creatures] will come out before Allah, the One, the Prevailing,

These are general descriptions of the scenery during that day.

Also I thought you might consider this one verse, if you are familiar with the relativity theory and what Einstein says about time and the speed of light.

Quran 22:41

47. And they urge you to hasten the punishment. But AllŒh will

never fail in His promise. And indeed, a day with your Lord

is like a thousand years of those which you count.

• Author
Is the House of Islam always and literally in physically violent opposition to the House of War?

Is President Obama and infidel or an apostate?

I have no idea what you mean by the house of Islam.

Infidel literally means "one who lacks faith" as far as I know Obama is a catholic, in Islam Christians are Jews are what we call People of the Scriptures, i.e we believe in their scriptures but we also believe that they were edited.

The Quran says this concerning The People of the Scriptures.

Quran 02:64

64. Say, "O People of the Scripture, come to a word that is equitable between us and you – that we will not worship except Allah and not associate anything with Him and not take one another as lords instead of Allah."If then they turn back say: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's will)."

Quran 29:46

46. And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

• Author
Hello :)

I am a Christian and I have a question.

The prayer said by Muslims five times per day. Is this a singular prayer? If so, what is the translation please.

Take care,

Eve xx

Hey,

Our daily prayers are not just verbal, there are also some physical movements involved in it, for those who are physically able. Some non-Muslims compare it to aerobics a few Muslims are offended by that comparison. I'm not.

We have a prayer directly before sunrise, at around zenith time, between zenith and sunset, directly after sunset and the last prayer is at night. I know it seems like a lot lol. here is a link showing the physical movements.

During that we recite verses from the Quran, any verses... However there is one chapter that we recite on every prayer first. Here is its translation.

Quran- Alfatiha (The Opening Chapter) 01

1. In the name of Allah the Merciful Beneficent.

2. All thanksgiving and adoration is due to Allah The Creator and Nurturer of the Worlds [and their inhabitants]

3. The Merciful Beneficent.

4. [And] The absolute sovereign of The Day of Judgment.

5. You alone we worship and Your aid alone we seek.

6. Guide us to the Straight Path.

7. The path of those upon whom You bestowed the blessings, not that [path] of those inflicted by your Wrath nor those gone astray.

in Islam Christians are Jews are what we call People of the Scriptures, i.e we believe in their scriptures but we also believe that they were edited.

The Quran says this concerning The People of the Scriptures.

Yes.

According to scriptures, Prophet Mohamed came to the world about 600 years after Jesus and was visited by Angel Gabriel.

The same Angel that announced the birth of Jesus to Virgin Mary. :love:

Angel Gabriel then took Mohammed to Jerusalem and ascended to Heaven from there, where he verified Jesus and Moses and came back to earth.

Then Mohamed was set to write the Quran as revealed by God through Gabriel.

I love your thread Rashad!

Good job explaining.

Me again.. :)

I acknowledge Muslims as family because of the whole second wife thing that Abraham was said to have going on.. you know the whole Sarah and Hagar contraversy. So essentially, I view Islam as being an alternate religion based on the division of Sarah and Hagars sons, Issac and Ismael. What is your take on this? In fact does Islam even appropriate this division?

Basically nothing else is mentioned about Ismael in the Bible after the division; Hagar being asked to leave.. and then the religion of Islam turns up within a few hundred years.

The emphasis on very physical acts of faith within Islam (being there is no personal relationship with God because there is no Christ) mirrors what is seen in the New Testement between the one seen to be The Christ and the rulers of the then Temple, who are bound by the old Abramic Law, like the Jews...

In this sense (sorry another question) how do Muslims recognise those who are not Muslims, proper?

PLEASE do not think I am trying to trip you up. If you don't know what I am talking about, please say.

Thanks for doing this..

Take care,

Eve xx

Edited by Eve

Hey Rashad,

I read you have to pray in Arabic only.

How many different prayers do you need to memorize more or less?

I thought of converting to Islam, but that part seemed a little challenging. Especially in different holidays.

How do people from other languages deal with this?

Hey,

Our daily prayers are not just verbal, there are also some physical movements involved in it, for those who are physically able. Some non-Muslims compare it to aerobics a few Muslims are offended by that comparison. I'm not.

We have a prayer directly before sunrise, at around zenith time, between zenith and sunset, directly after sunset and the last prayer is at night. I know it seems like a lot lol. here is a link showing the physical movements.

During that we recite verses from the Quran, any verses... However there is one chapter that we recite on every prayer first. Here is its translation.

Cheers for that. I opened the link and watched the vid. Sorry that my other question came before this response. I must have been typing still.

Thanks again, I have heard one translation of a prayer being said and I thought it very beautiful. Not sure if it was the one quoted but it seems pretty similar, though a bit longer.

Take care,

Eve xx

• Author
Me again.. :)

I acknowledge Muslims as family because of the whole second wife thing that Abraham was said to have going on.. you know the whole Sarah and Hagar contraversy. So essentially, I view Islam as being an alternate religion based on the division of Sarah and Hagars sons, Issac and Ismael. What is your take on this? In fact does Islam even appropriate this division?

Basically nothing else is mentioned about Ismael in the Bible after the division; Hagar being asked to leave.. and then the religion of Islam turns up within a few hundred years.

The emphasis on very physical acts of faith within Islam (being there is no personal relationship with God because there is no Christ) mirrors what is seen in the New Testement between the one seen to be The Christ and the rulers of the then Temple, who are bound by the old Abramic Law, like the Jews...

In this sense (sorry another question) how do Muslims recognise those who are not Muslims, proper?

PLEASE do not think I am trying to trip you up. If you don't know what I am talking about, please say.

Thanks for doing this..

Take care,

Eve xx

In Islam we believe that the original bible had verses describing prophet Mohammad and speaking of his arrival. We believe that the Christian Priests were expecting the prophet to be a descendant of Isaac, they knew Mohammad PBUH to be a descendant of Ishmael and that is why they did not believe in him.

We believe that there is only one true religion, in fact the name Islam was adopted by Abraham.

Quran 02:127-133

127. And [mention] when Abraham was raising the foundations of the House [Mecca]and [with him] Ishmael, [saying], "Our Lord, accept[this] from us. Indeed, You are the Hearing, the Knowing.

128. Our Lord, and make us Muslims [in submission] to You and from our descendants a Muslim nation [in submission] to You. And show us our rites and accept our repentance. Indeed, You are the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful.

129. Our Lord, and send among them a messenger from themselves who will recite to them Your verses and teach them the Book and wisdom and purify them. Indeed, You are the Exalted in Might, the Wise."

130. And who would be averse to the religion of Abraham except one who makes a fool of himself. And We had chosen him in this world, and indeed he, in the Hereafter, will be among the righteous.

131. When his Lord said to him, "Submit," he said, "I have submitted [in Islam]to the Lord of the worlds."

132. And Abraham instructed his sons [to do the same] and [so did] Jacob, [saying], "O my sons, indeed Allah has chosen for you this religion, so do not die except while you are Muslims."

133. Or were you witnesses when death approached Jacob, when he said to his sons, "What will you worship after me?" They said, "We will worship your God and the God of your fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac – one God. And we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

The word Muslim means a person who submits to God's will, so in its linguistic sense Christians are Muslims. We believe it was a word chosen by Abraham for the followers of Allah's religion and Allah accepted it. So no, we do not acknowledge what you would call separation, we initially believe that Judaism, Christianity and Islam were just stages of the same religion. And that the Holy Quran is the final Book.

In fact it is essential for every Muslim to believe in The Holy Bible and The Holy Torah..

Quran 04:136

136. O you who have believed, believe in Allah and His Messenger and the Book that He sent down upon His Messenger and the Scripture which He sent down before. And whoever disbelieves in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day has certainly gone far astray.

As for people of the scriptures (Christians and Jews) There are verses condemning them for disbelieving in Mohammad and editing the scriptures but then the Quran says

Quran 03:113-115

113. They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture

is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

114. They believe in Allah and the Last Day, and they enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and hasten to good deeds. And those are among the righteous.

115. And whatever good they do – never will it be removed from them. And Allah is Knowing of the righteous.

Allah is Arabic for Jehovah.

Also refer to my response to Land Shark

If you are a science nerd tongue.gif I'm sure you are aware of how bodies separate, cool down and assume orbits, this does not conflict with the big bang theory.

Okay. So what do you make of Stephen Hawkings and his life work?

What do you think of Atheists in general?

I am a science nerd, and an Atheist.

To clarify, is Hagar the Mum of Ismael in Islam? This something I pretty much decided for myself you see from reading the Bible a few times. I have never read the Quran though.

The edited Scriptures you speak off, what are they called? Where can I find them?

Got to sleep now.. work tomorrow etc.. will check responses tomorrow PM.

:)

Take care,

Eve xx

• Author
Hey Rashad,

I read you have to pray in Arabic only.

How many different prayers do you need to memorize more or less?

I thought of converting to Islam, but that part seemed a little challenging. Especially in different holidays.

How do people from other languages deal with this?

You HAVE to memorize only ONE, which is Alfatiha, I posted it as a reply to Eve, you can basically perform all your prayers with that. Like I said Islamic prayers are both physical movements and vocal utterances, so Alfatiha is enough for the vocal part. There are also very short chapters that are not hard to memorize and also the Quran says (since I promised to bring all my answers from the Quran)

Quran 54:22

22. And We have certainly made the Quran easy for remembrance,

so is there any who will [decide to]remember?

The proof of this is that, the number of non-Arabic speaking Muslims who memorize the Holy Quran by heart are more than the Arabic speaking ones!

So there you go, and if you have any questions ANY at all, I'll be glad to answer you, and if you reconsider converting to Islam, do me the honors or answering your questions and how-tos and all that :D