I am currently not a practicing member of any organized religion.

In my garden I have a small statue of St. Francis in an area where I plant things especially for the bunnies to eat. It was gift, it is small and I just like it. I am familiar with the saint.

So, I would like to put a Buddha Statue , a small one I came across, in a garden. Although I value the "philosophy" of Buddhism - I am not familiar with it as a religion.

Would the statue be offensive to any Buddhists visiting my garden? I should add it is in the back yard, not the front.

• Author

Not really well, no. My sister would say she is, but in a vague way. The reason I ask is that we entertain a lot, many different kinds of people, many of whom I do not know well.

I have no issue with whatever I put in my yard...its just that, I dont want to insult or break a major rule of someone elses religion.

• Author

Oh, I hate to be a bother.

I'll just get a non religious decoration, like a gazing ball. I just like the little Buddha.

GorillaTheater

Are you kidding? What are we all here for if not to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do? :)

• Author

LOL. Yeah.

Better I should ask myself what the hell I want with all these people in my yard anyway.

Would the statue be offensive to any Buddhists visiting my garden?

2sure, if the Buddha statue is 'speaking to you' that it would enjoy being in your garden, then that is perfectly fine to honour it.

I'm 99.9% sure I've seen pictures of the Buddha in public and private, Zen and other, gardens all over the world...along with many other divine/sacred deities :)

My own (indoor) Buddhas get "odd" looks from my Christian loved ones, but that isn't on me...or Buddha! And I'm perfectly fine seeing their Mother Marys and Jesuses in their homes and gardens.

I think Buddhist philosophy is more "live and let live", and don't judge what others are doing or not doing.

• Author

Yes, it honestly does call to me personally. For a few years now I have just wanted one in my garden. So, I'll pick it up at the statuary after work today, a gift to myself.

laRubiaBonita

i would think it would be fine too....

my buddha is in the living room- i see it when i come in either door. it makes me feel like he is watching over everything.

he used to be near the floor- but i think he likes it better about my eye level.

i am not buddhist either.

i also have two rosaries- they are beautiful, but i am not catholic either.

I have a little Buddha.... wait a minute....isn't that a song title? I OWN a small bronze Buddha, that sits on a shelf in my study. I "procured", it when I was a soldier, many years ago. It has been a book marker, nutcracker, bee killer, seance object (don't ask), boot jack and door stop. A few years back I began to notice the expression on his face, during a particularly bad period, I began to talk to him about my troubles. I honor him better now.:)