"My savior, My god"

Does anyone else love this song by Aaron Shust. Although I'm not a christian I still love the song (melody, chorus, everthing about it except the subject).

Your thoughts about this song.:)

Amen to that.

Church songs are catchy, I have to say. Whenever I think that I'm humming/whistling some random song, it turns out to be a church song.

disgracian

I find that Christian music is generally the worst. Always imitating what is popular, never original, never interesting. It just copies what already exists and (ironically) removes all the soul from the music with surgical precision.

Cheers,

D.

Funny that this thread should suddenly appear. I'm not generally a fan of hymns but out of the blue this morning I suddenly thought about "Jerusalem" and how it is to hymns what If is to poetry. Given manic enough singers, it has the potential to sound pretty psychotic when it gets to this bit...

Bring me my bow of burning gold:

Bring me my arrows of desire:

Bring me my spear:

O clouds unfold!

Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...

Downright sexy.

while 'church" music is often quite lovely in its own rights, most of it just doesn't speak to my heart the way some of the secular stuff does. "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys is one – the music itself is visceral while the lyrics are very familiar in the sense that I've had those thoughts that the singer has. "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Hawaaiian artist Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is another one that just sends my soul soaring because of the way he arranged it. Or the folk-tradition "De Colores."

I guess it just goes to show that divine inspiration comes from all avenues, not just sanitized holy-holy churchy music.

Storyrider

I like bluegrass gospel. Some of the songs from the soundtrack for "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" are really great.

while 'church" music is often quite lovely in its own rights, most of it just doesn't speak to my heart the way some of the secular stuff does.

Is that suppose to be codeword for mainstream music?

while 'church music is often quite lovely in its own rights, most of it just doesn't speak to my heart the way some of the secular stuff does. Heaven by Los Lonely Boys is one

"secular," as opposed to "religious" or related to church ... can apply to just about anything. I used to work for the secular press (a city daily newspaper), but now work for a Catholic paper.

incidentally, in the Catholic Church, music would be classified as "secular" or "liturgical" (worldly music and that which is approved by the Vatican), and you'd never EVER find secular music as part of the liturgy (Mass) in the Catholic Church. No "At Last" or "Annie's Song" sung at weddings, nor "Let it Be" sung at funeral services. There is a body of approved works for every occasion, and song selections must come from there.

some of it's really pretty stuff, but because I don't listen to liturgical music as a norm, I often find inspiration in secular music, like what I'd posted earlier.