Seeing what God does

Basically this is thread to explain why I believe in God, I believe everyone has their own reasons to believe in God, if you want to contribute yours, please do so, and this will benefit others as well :)

How did I know God?

I was an total atheist, I thought people who believe in any gods are stupid:o, but strange things began to happen to me, that I know what bad thing and what good things will happen to me in advance. seems like an invisible being tried to communicate with me. sometimes this invisible being rebuked my thoughts, those thoughts are self-destructive thought. But others won't know this, because all these communications are inside me, only between He and I. then at the same time, some Christian sisters came to my house to tell me God, Jesus, I just laughted them in my heart. but thought they are quite nice people, and lovely caring people, so I continued to let them come to my house. boom! then one day I had a spiritual awakening, I began to see how righteous God is, and how bad I was, I began to feel terribly sorry, and cried several days, and asked God to forgive my sins. Since then, I always have conversations with this invisible being, and later on I know He is HOly Spirit in the Bible. Everytime I pick up Bible, Holy Spirit show great joy, told me this is right path, due to a long peiod communicating with him, I know his decision is always right, and always want me to go right path, slowly I build up deep trust in him.

Why we need salvation through Jesus Christ?

I believe some pastors can explain this very well, here I just say what I learned and understand.

(1) Compare to God's righteousness, we are all sinners, we are like filthy rag no matter how righteous and good you think you are. Yes, people will get angry when read this. Calm down. the goodness is comparable. for example:

A person who always kill person, when he spares one life in his hand, he thinks he is good:eek:

A person who always hurt others, when he stop doing that for once, he thinks he is good

These are extreme examples, I just want to explain this "sinners cannot see their own sinful deeds and nature", or totally blind

So compare to God's righteousness, we are terribly sinners. If without God's light shine on us, we are totally satisfied in our sins. but when God's light and righteousness come, we can see how sinnful we are, this is why some folks got angry, percecute those who are righteousness, because righteousness remind them their sinful nature, and people don't want to see this:p

(2). Can we make effort to be righteousness?

This is all other religions try to achieve: try to go to heaven by self achievement. this can provoke pride in people, and same time a big burden

Use last example, can this killer become a kind and caring person all by himself? :confused: ummm (compare with God, we are like this killer)

(3) So if we cannot achieve all by ourselves, we have to ask God and Jesus to help us. We get salvation is totally by God's power and grace and mercy. If we ask God for saving us, he will send his Holy Spirit to live in us, and change us from inside. ONLY this God's Spirit and power can change us to be righteousness. This point is very different from all other religions.

(4) So if we are so filthy, can God forgive us and give us salvation? Do we deserve to receive this salvation?

:D folks, we are never *deserve*, I don't deserve, but if we repent and ask God for forgive, he will forgive us and forget our iniquities. and He will guide us in ALL things and bless us, and after our physic body die, we are going to heaven:love:

here is a story to show if we are deserve or not.

A poor old lady is very hungry, and she passed the door of palace. when she looked inside the door, she saw plenty of delicious food, she wished she can have them but hopelessly saw these food laying there, and one princess saw this, and gave this poor lady one full basket food, this old lady searched her pocket and found one coin and gave it to princess. the princess said "my father is too rich to get paid, this food is free gift, either you take it or leave it, you can not pay it"

we are like that poor old lady, and God is the king:D

God does heal and miracles, even today, this minute

Gud uses his power healed people, created new organs in the patient's body, healed cancers that doctors said it is uncurable, healed difficult diseases

God answers prayers

God answers prayers:bunny:, sometimes it is instantly, sometime it takes time, but God answers prayers:love:

Non-believers if can, please restrain insult remarks, thanks:)

Welcome decent questions and debate

How did I come to know God?

there's always been a subconscious awareness of him ever since I could remember – very visceral, very much a part of me much like in the way blood courses through my veins. The best part of this whole relationship with him is that it's uniquely my own, that nothing anyone can say or do could change it, and it's a good feeling to have this knowledge and this consistency of "being."

I won't branch off on the other points you've raised, because while I do believe your heart is in the right place, I cannot in all honesty try to pinhole someone else's faith journey – be they believers in God or not – based on my own experience. As I've pointed out before, this is uniquely my own; therefore they have their own unique journeys, too. And I don't want to guess the mind of God – it's enough for me to believe that he will call them in his own way and in his own time.

will I try to evangelize for Christ to the best of my ability? Yes, through my actions. Everything else falls on deaf ears ...

• Author
Is believing really the only path to salvation? Could not someone devoutly religious have sinned more than an atheist? In that case would God really spare the Christian and punish the atheist to damnation?

oppath

I don't dare to reply you on JamesM's thread, he will hate me forever :p

so I tried to reply your post here.

Yes, believing is really the only path to salvation. A person devoutly religious have sinned more than an atheist? it is possible. There is the reason why

EZEKIEL

33:11 Tell them that as surely as I, the Sovereign LORD, am the living God, I do not enjoy seeing sinners die. I would rather see them stop sinning and live. Israel, stop the evil you are doing. Why do you want to die?

33:12 "Now, mortal man, tell the Israelites that when someone good sins, the good he has done will not save him. If an evil person stops doing evil, he won't be punished, and if a good man starts sinning, his life will not be spared.

33:13 I may promise life to someone good, but if he starts thinking that his past goodness is enough and begins to sin, I will not remember any of the good he did. He will die because of his sins.

Do you see? so if a sinner heartly repent his sins before God and change his sinful ways (not continuing in sin), even his iniquities is more than a relative good fellow, this sinner will be forgiving by God. God knows people's heart, God knows if they are really sorry for their sinns or not. If a person heartly feel sorry for his sins, he will change his sinful ways to righteous ways.

So atheist go to hell because of their unbelief?

Yes. Look at my first post here. we are like filthy rag compare to God, if we wish to go to kingdom of God, we have to be righteous and perfect like God, but we CANNOT. Our heart is pure or not, God can know, some atheist are self-righteousness, they cannot see their own sinful deeds. and if they reject God many times, and don't want to do anything with God, so they will go to a place where seperate from God, love and light

• Author

will I try to evangelize for Christ to the best of my ability? Yes, through my actions. Everything else falls on deaf ears ...

Thanks for your sharing:)

quankanne, yes, I agree with you through actions, and this is God's intention as well, not only you speak words of God, but also you DO and pratice words of God, and 'through action' doesn't mean 'you should stop spreading God's words; seems you don't believe in power of God's words? I could be wrong, but that is the impression you give out. you ever speak against fundamentalist, I don't know how you exactly define this words, I guess it means those who believe in Words of God, power of God, holy Spirit? If so, why you are agaisnt those who believe in God's words, I don't understand this because you say you are an believer. I could be wrong here again. maybe you just let others to limit you, if 'through action' means stop spreading God's words, how can people get saved? Please don't forget there is great power in words of God

• Author

Oh, trying to avoid conflict isn't always good. I am a meek person, hell, I never received rejectiond in my life before I speaking good news. But back down or compromising your belief to non-believers' opinions seems like 'make peace with everyone', heck, I want peace with everyone, but that doesn't mean we should stop saying what is right, or doesn't mean we should change our beliefs to adapt the world. My point is "speaking what God wants us to say, what we have to say, but keep in mind the motive is out of love"

Conflict will be always here. If you believe in God, an invisible being, you don't believe in dark forces, such as devil? and our flesh will cause conflict as well. even as a believer, I found my flesh is conflicting with spirit sometimes, as long as God's words go out, there will always have conflicts. :o but that cannot stop spreading words of God

• Author
Yes, because he was the front man of a political movement that challenged the powers of the time.

Here's an analogy that occurrs to me. My read on some history is that when Thomas Jefferson was trying to make a positive change in his world, he had to put forth an embrace of Christianity he did not truly believe should be incorporated into the governmental idea of freedom he espoused, but if he didn't nothing he was striving for would get adopted in his time. I theorize that this may be the case with Jesus. Much of what we've been taught Jesus himself professed was good policy to me. Maybe he was just an astitute politician and great man, willing to take what had to come his way to get people to change to embrace the global humanitarianism that he was trying to spread. All the judgmental bs, and separatism that christianity has taken on does not jive with what we have documented as "Jesus'" teachings. That stuff came after.

Call me crazy, and I'm sure plenty would/will on this subject; but maybe Jesus said, "ok- clearly if I want people to really buy into the serious change I'm trying to achieve here; at this point in time, I'll have to convince them I'm GOD.... ok, ok. maybe that's too much. God AND man. God's son lets say. Oh crap, born a love child? they'll never listen. Ok mom, you saw and angel, blah blah blah, immaculate conception. yea, that works even better. sweet. John, get your mom to back the story up. perfect." MESSIAH.

naturally I'm being funny (to me anyway) but the thought seriously is plausible to me. Political movement. Politicians always need to appeal to that which moves the populous.

popey :p, I tranfered your post to here

um? Jesus is a politician? this never occur to me before. If only by our carnal mind, we can think million years, and we cannot reason out why God does what he does. I cannot. but I think our curiosity to seek true living God will bring God's attention to us. then if he reveals himself to you, you don't need any proves from others anymore.

Did you ever read Old Testament? in the OT the prophets, several prophets actually, prophecied same MESSIAH, and Jesus fullfilled every details they descibed. It is not a coincidence. Besides He is living today, and does healing just like old times :D

seems like an invisible being tried to communicate with me. sometimes this invisible being rebuked my thoughts, those thoughts are self-destructive thought. But others won't know this, because all these communications are inside me, only between He and I.

Can you tell me how this experience differs from a kid having an imaginary friend? Is the experience comparable (except for an imaginary friend being 'fake' and god 'real')?

Because it sounds to me like you personify an inner struggle.

• Author
Can you tell me how this experience differs from a kid having an imaginary friend? Is the experience comparable (except for an imaginary friend being 'fake' and god 'real')?

Because it sounds to me like you personify an inner struggle.

Good question.

How can my inner struggle foretell danger to me? and foretell good things will hapen to me?

this invisible being exists outside of my emotion realm. He isn't controlled by my emotions, such as if I like to hurt certain people just to get revenge, this is following my emotion, but this invisible being will rebuke me for that.

Good question.

How can my inner struggle foretell danger to me? and foretell good things will hapen to me?

this invisible being exists outside of my emotion realm. He isn't controlled by my emotions, such as if I like to hurt certain people just to get revenge, this is following my emotion, but this invisible being will rebuke me for that.

Well, I find your first statement rather poor because everybody gets intuitional feelings, sometimes even dogs predict earthquakes.

Plus, being convinced that these forecasts come true, you can project them on your environment.

Even so, you did mention that some things can take a while, to me personally good and bad things happen to me on a weekly basis, so that all could be interpreted as an affirmation to your beliefs.

Your second point strikes me as inner struggle.

If I want to kick someone's ass for pissing me of, than that is an emotional thought. Then when I reason with myself, I make a rational decision not to follow my emotions.

Everybody has this 'little angel and devil on their shoulders' that tell them either to do 'right' or 'wrong'.

I feel like religious people confuse the 'angel' with the voice of god and the 'devil' with themselves.

Or do you feel like I confuse god and myself with that angel and devil?

seems you don't believe in power of God's words? … you ever speak against fundamentalist, I don't know how you exactly define this words, I guess it means those who believe in Words of God, power of God, holy Spirit? If so, why you are agaisnt those who believe in God's words,

oh, I very much believe in the power of the word of God, but in my old age I've come to realize that often the best way to evangelize is to do it without calling attention to myself.

I don't feel fundamentalists are wrong, I just don't agree how they choose to share their message, because time and again the intended "targets" of evangelization are made to feel inferior, stupid, wrong or bad for not being in agreement, and that is the quickest way to raise their hackles. I know God as a gentle, loving God, and I feel that is the best way to share what I know about him with others. It's not a "right" way or a "wrong" way, just MY way of evangelizing.

what is it that St. Francis suggests? "Evangelize. And try not to use words." People understand God's influence much more readily when they see others doing good in his name than they do getting bashed over the head with sermons, IMO

what is it that St. Francis suggests? "Evangelize. And try not to use words." People understand God's influence much more readily when they see others doing good in his name than they do getting bashed over the head with sermons, IMO

Brilliant...:) But I don't see it as a god manifesting good. I see it as a person or group of people doing good.

which still has the end result: Another person is inspired to become a better man or woman because of what has been witnessed ...

great sign, BTW. Whose poop? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Author
seems you don't believe in power of God's words? … you ever speak against fundamentalist, I don't know how you exactly define this words, I guess it means those who believe in Words of God, power of God, holy Spirit? If so, why you are agaisnt those who believe in God's words,

oh, I very much believe in the power of the word of God, but in my old age I've come to realize that often the best way to evangelize is to do it without calling attention to myself.

I don't feel fundamentalists are wrong, I just don't agree how they choose to share their message, because time and again the intended "targets" of evangelization are made to feel inferior, stupid, wrong or bad for not being in agreement, and that is the quickest way to raise their hackles. I know God as a gentle, loving God, and I feel that is the best way to share what I know about him with others. It's not a "right" way or a "wrong" way, just MY way of evangelizing.

their way is that no matter what percecution they face, they don't ride fence, don't follow what others non-believers opinions, they don't stand with others together to mock own belief. they just tell, gently, if you see enough on this board, quite often it is non-believer who attacks, you are quite unfair, or you choose to not see. or you don't remember how people treated God's prophets in old times, you know, the prophets just told people what God let them say, and people mistreated those because their firm standing with God

You see, love isn't compromising, love is 'say what is right, what have to say'. you commented other religions can lead people to God as well, well, that is easy to be accepted by others I am sure. but it isn't true. I am thinking you must not sure for yourself yet, otherwise how can you said that.

yes, you don't agree with their way, but their way is the way lord Jesus ever did, the way his 12 disciples did; speak the good news, and heal people through power of God. and HOw do you know it isn't Lord who let them do so? you know Holy Spirit is working in them. I quite don't understand you, but it is ok, we have to face lord by ourselves, if you feel quite peace with it, then it is ok I guess :)

• Author

God created universe, he also made invisible moral laws, if we go against them, we suffer bad consequence. yeah, I know, people don't want to hear this. If we obey God's laws, we show that we love God.

I know, my flesh sometimes wants to rebel as well, my old flesh hates 'right and wrong', wants to do whatever I want, whatever suits my desires. even know that if my desires go against God's laws, I will suffer, at the moment seemed I don't remember those bad consequences:o. then I ask God for forgiveness, ask him to give me strength to do right things, then God renewed my mind on those things, I found myself dislike those wrong things because of power of God. at the moment of being saved by God, God gave me a new heart, changed my stone heart to a new one.

If you have certain things you want to change about you, but hopeless to do so all by yourself, if you ask God to help you on this matter, He will give you strength and discernment to do right things, and improve your charators and quality of life :)

You see, love isn't compromising, love is 'say what is right, what have to say'. you commented other religions can lead people to God as well, well, that is easy to be accepted by others I am sure. but it isn't true. I am thinking you must not sure for yourself yet, otherwise how can you said that.

yes, you don't agree with their way, but their way is the way lord Jesus ever did, the way his 12 disciples did; speak the good news, and heal people through power of God. and HOw do you know it isn't Lord who let them do so? you know Holy Spirit is working in them. I quite don't understand you, but it is ok, we have to face lord by ourselves, if you feel quite peace with it, then it is ok I guess

I think maybe we are like the different sides of the same coin! Showing God's love is for you to step up and shout his name from the rooftops, while I feel more competent behind the scenes ... still we work for the same end. At least this is how I see it.

I do firmly believe that a person's spiritual/faith journey can lead him or her to God … that religion is the vehicle that transports that person along the way, but God is still the ultimate destination. I firmly believe what my Catholic faith teaches about Jesus and the saints, of Mary and the Spirit and life-everlasting because it is mine alone and in good conscience cannot tell someone that he or she is going to hell just because they don't follow the same theology. Because I feel if I did, then I'm trying to usurp God. I don't know what plans he has for the next fellow, but I do know that I'm called to witness with the love he's given me to share with them, and I am most confident in this understated method of doing so.

• Author

yes, you don't agree with their way, but their way is the way lord Jesus ever did, the way his 12 disciples did; speak the good news, and heal people through power of God. and HOw do you know it isn't Lord who let them do so? you know Holy Spirit is working in them. I quite don't understand you, but it is ok, we have to face lord by ourselves, if you feel quite peace with it, then it is ok I guess

I think maybe we are like the different sides of the same coin! Showing God's love is for you to step up and shout his name from the rooftops, while I feel more competent behind the scenes ... still we work for the same end. At least this is how I see it.

I do firmly believe that a person's spiritual/faith journey can lead him or her to God … that religion is the vehicle that transports that person along the way, but God is still the ultimate destination. I firmly believe what my Catholic faith teaches about Jesus and the saints, of Mary and the Spirit and life-everlasting because it is mine alone and in good conscience cannot tell someone that he or she is going to hell just because they don't follow the same theology. Because I feel if I did, then I'm trying to usurp God. I don't know what plans he has for the next fellow, but I do know that I'm called to witness with the love he's given me to share with them, and I am most confident in this understated method of doing so.

I don't know what plans God has for them as well, but God gave us one simple message, only through Jesus Christ we can get salvation. If you believe in only through Lord can get salvation, then why tell others different things? I mean *speak truth* that you believe. but if you don't speak truth, it is like you know that beforehand has a pit, and you don't tell the blind to pay attention, and you think the pit will lead him to the destination.

I know your intention is good. just feel in my spirit that such a confusion about your belief. many seems contradict each other.

showing love is great thing, of course 'mock me' doesn't seam so :p, kidding

yes, you don't agree with their way, but their way is the way lord Jesus ever did, the way his 12 disciples did; speak the good news, and heal people through power of God. and HOw do you know it isn't Lord who let them do so? you know Holy Spirit is working in them. I quite don't understand you, but it is ok, we have to face lord by ourselves, if you feel quite peace with it, then it is ok I guess :)

Claiming that the actions of christian fundamentalist "could be" doing the work of god is condoning intolerance, violence, and hate and in my opinion is flat out ignorant.

The world would be a much better place with few fundamentalist from all sides.

Normal people do not murder health care providers or fly planes into buildings.

their way is that no matter what percecution they face, they don't ride fence, don't follow what others non-believers opinions, they don't stand with others together to mock own belief. they just tell, gently, if you see enough on this board, quite often it is non-believer who attacks, you are quite unfair, or you choose to not see. or you don't remember how people treated God's prophets in old times, you know, the prophets just told people what God let them say, and people mistreated those because their firm standing with God

Do you view yourself as some sort of persecuted prophet on this board, lonelybird?

People compromise and sit on the fence for a variety of reasons. Often it's because they have the ability to see things from both sides, and that helps them to avoid taking extremist positions. Another way of looking at it is "having a balanced approach".

You've said you were an atheist before some people appeared on your doorstep and converted you. So you've gone from having zero belief in God, to being a walking store of bible quotations. When faced with the more moderate thoughts of someone who's been a consistent, long term believer, you preach things like this:

The fact that you're so fervent about trying to convert people to God makes you sound faddish and lacking in credibility. It's as though you've suddenly developed an overwhelming crush on Jesus that'll eventually burn itself out and be replaced by a crush on your boss or the Celestine Prophecies.

Reading the exchange between you and Quankanne is almost like hearing a woman who's been married to a man for 30 years patiently listening to the mistress who's been having an affair with him for 6 months expound upon what he's really like.

If you believe in only through Lord can get salvation, then why tell others different things?

I'm not telling anyone differently – God offers salvation, but only he knows the heart of man. Who am I to insinuate that I do? My role is to introduce others to Him … same as Christ did.

which leads to this bit of worry: If Scripture tells us that Christ descended into hell to go after souls, that would mean that even those who didn't know Christ are worthy of salvation. So morally, I cannot slam someone for their belief in God if they haven't gone through Jesus to find him!

Reading the exchange between you and Quankanne is almost like hearing a woman who's been married to a man for 30 years patiently listening to the mistress who's been having an affair with him for 6 months expound upon what he's really like.

I had to have a little chuckle at this.

As you were.

I feel like religious people confuse the 'angel' with the voice of god and the 'devil' with themselves.

there is no confusion....thats exactly what it is....The light of God directing you to the straight path....via the angel on your shoulder...your conscience...or as I call it...my Inner Counselor, the Holy Spirit the gift that was given to me when I was baptised.

And the "devil" for lack of a better word...is YOU the human...the one with free will....whos body wants to be self rightious....and selfish for own desires.

IMO...just at Paul has said in many of his letters, the body will SIN....its invitable....he also tells us that our body will die because of this sin......BUT....our spirit will live for ever.....

and heres what the trick is.....God doesnt want use to die....every single person will live beyond this human body....but he gave us an option....have faith in his son and follow his path of love IN HIS NAME....and we will be saved and join him in heaven and be at peace...and it cant be done half way....God knows us to well....we cant decieve him...he will judge us on the attitude of our heart, the words we speak....

OR....you choose not to have faith....but you still get to live forever.....yes forever and ever....BUT...you will be separate from God and his love....its a choice we are given. This is what is called Hell....now is in fire and brimestone...i dunno, I dont think so...it will jsut be separate from gods love and hell will be free of love, so maybe thats why it will be fire and brimestone or opposite of love

I look at it this way.....it feels right with me, it makes sense...it empowers me....FOR ME....its my choice....no one elses....so i choose to believe

I agree with that quan....

in addition....I dont witness thru words either...I do it thru action....

• Author
If you believe in only through Lord can get salvation, then why tell others different things?

I'm not telling anyone differently – God offers salvation, but only he knows the heart of man. Who am I to insinuate that I do? My role is to introduce others to Him … same as Christ did.

which leads to this bit of worry: If Scripture tells us that Christ descended into hell to go after souls, that would mean that even those who didn't know Christ are worthy of salvation. So morally, I cannot slam someone for their belief in God if they haven't gone through Jesus to find him!

yes, you did tell differently. how can "different religions can lead you to God" comment is action of "introduce others to HIm"? I don't remember Lord said that

"speak truth" isn't "slam things on people". you are saying those prophets and Jesus speak truth is "slam things on people"? they just spoke truth.

"speak truth" is your responsibility, "choose or not" is their responsibility

Ok, I guess I have certain expectation for believers:o, I quit this discussion with you, you have to face Lord one day, and please check your belief before late. I will check myself as well :o

• Author
Do you view yourself as some sort of persecuted prophet on this board, lonelybird?

People compromise and sit on the fence for a variety of reasons. Often it's because they have the ability to see things from both sides, and that helps them to avoid taking extremist positions. Another way of looking at it is "having a balanced approach".

You've said you were an atheist before some people appeared on your doorstep and converted you. So you've gone from having zero belief in God, to being a walking store of bible quotations. When faced with the more moderate thoughts of someone who's been a consistent, long term believer, you preach things like this:

The fact that you're so fervent about trying to convert people to God makes you sound faddish and lacking in credibility. It's as though you've suddenly developed an overwhelming crush on Jesus that'll eventually burn itself out and be replaced by a crush on your boss or the Celestine Prophecies.

In kingdom of heaven, there isn't "you stay here long or short", there is only "firm believer or not", Jesus said "the last will be first, the first will be last", think about that, if these non-believers I talking to, become a believer one day, they will be in front of me, sounds good, uhm?

carnal mind and spiritual mind think differently. don't get angry about this, I was carnal mind before, or somtimes when flesh dominate, only God's spirit can change our carnal mind, if one day you can see things from view point of God, you will understand. the only difference between you and I is that "I accept gift of God, and you didn't yet"

Oh, I forgive your insult here, wait, ok I forgive:p