People of faith -- can you handle being "teased" about your faith?

reservoirdog1

Not that I'm planning to do so, that's just the title of my inquiry. I'm not a person of faith, so I have no frame of reference -- hence my question.

Lots of sources of conventional humour in the mass media periodically make fun of faith. In this part of the world, the target is often Christianity. The fun-poking shows up in everything from Friends, to the Simpsons, to Monty Python.

My question: does it bother you to hear things like that? Do you get offended by it? Or does the fun-poking have to be objectively nasty or hurtful in order for you to be offended?

My theory is that those who are secure in their faith and in their adherence to it are unlikely to be bothered by somebody poking fun at it. But maybe I'm wrong. Anybody care to share their thoughts?

It doesn't bother me because everyone has the right to their opinion and everyone does have their own opinion, so I am used to it. It bothers me when someone tries to shove their beliefs in my face and try to tell me that what I believe is wrong and what they believe is right. No one here on earth knows the absolute truth, therefore anything that you say is only an opinion.

Whenever I talk about my spiritual beliefs, people just look at me strangely. Which have only been less than a handful of them.

I have very firm beliefs that go against about every religion known to man.

I do get bothered when people push their beliefs on me, or are judgemental of mine.

On the first question, "media"....no, racial jokes are made, gender, political, and so on....

On the second question, "personally"....no, usually it is a lack of understanding. The "church" has taken many forms, twisted scripture to fit whatever the agenda is at the time.

I am responsible for my own relationship with my creator and not anyone elses. Usually the person that "attacks" (not discussion or opinion) is hurting deeply, they have not dealt with the hurt and therefore lash out...it is a form of immaturity.

Religion is a highly personal thing. I can still joke about it....but more often than not I go to mass alone because I don't like asking faithless friends to attend with me. I've noticed that I get some derrisive comments about my faith from even friends who aren't into spirituality.

It's not like I'm over sensitive (hah, yeah right, of course I am) -- but some of the comments hurt my feelings. I am intelligent. I'm not a bible thumping crazy person. I just happen to know and love divinity, why is that so hard to respect? :o

It really depends on the context. Most of the time I also find their jokes funny, but I do get offended by some. You can normally tell the motivation of the joke. Occassionally it is clear that the joke teller has 0 respect for your choice of religion, and that's when I get offended.

When it's all in good fun, it's all in good fun and it shows.

RecordProducer
Religion is a highly personal thing.
How personal is it when people can be brain-washed? Oh, please don't tell me that millions of people believing in the same thing that they've never seen are not brain-washed. "Till this day I don't understand what the hell "god" is! And I feel personally responsible to brain-wash other people and - what I believe I am doing - try to open their eyes.

The truth is somewhere out there: this thing called "god" either exists or not. If it exists, what is it? A Superman? Batman? Alien? Man? Monkey? No, you think it's "something." Oooohhhhhh, SOMETHING.

So you go to church or synagogue or mosque and pray to Mr. Something. And Mr. Something does what you want. Hell, no! Something is unpredictable, unjust, unfair, deaf, blind, evil as much as it's good, merciful, kind, helpful, and just.

Mr. Something does nothing really, but people want to believe that it watches them - pure exhibitionism! People want to believe that Something will listen and give them strength and faith, when they need it - pure weakness. People have never seen it or heard it, there is no indication of its existence, but they want to believe that it's a Caucasian, English-speaking, jack-of-all trades type of super-powerful being that kills innocents with the same ease as it connects people.

And even if you believe in this something called God, what does it have to do with religion? Don't you remember, this is the religion that burnt scientists at a stake, because they said the earth was round? The same religion burnt sick women calling them witches. The same religion preached that people should not oppose their masters, and that if you suffer on earth, you go to heaven. This same religion used to preach that sex is dirty, divorce and contraception are taboo, science is evil, and justice should be established and forced by them - the religious figures. You've forgotten the Inquisition or perhaps you've never heard of it before.

You may say that these people just used religion in their favor and that it changes as times have changed. I am astonished by the fact that science has gone so far that it can explain practically everything and create much more than god, that we know about nature, instincts, and evolution... and there is still this dark, dull-minded, common man's simple explanation that it's all god's work, that god is everywhere and in everything.

If you want to call nature and the universe "God", that's your personal choice. You can call it tomato or potato, as long as you're a good person and do what's right. But don't tell me that God had a Jewish son who was a human being, a magician, tricker, schizophrenic or whatever, conceived without his mother being f*cked... because it makes me feel like I could perform some tricks and claim that my kids were not conceived with a man, and you will believe me. But if I would tell you that, you would call me a crazy idiot, wouldn't you?

Altogether, I have a feeling that most religious people don't really expect anything from god, they just need some company. Do you blame god when your beloved die? No. Do you think god is responsible for your achievements? No. Do you think god wants you to be alive and healthy? If yes, why are you better than the people who get sick, hurt, raped, murdered, and die early?

So you believe that god is responsible for love on this earth. What about hatred, jealousy, envy, selfishness, and violence? If god is so potent then how come I am not influenced by him and do not believe in him? He doesn't need my resepct? Well... thank god! :laugh:

great topic, RD, I'm curious to see what folks have to share because I usually learn something about myself and my faith ...

I agree that people who are secure in their faith often can withstand people making fun of that belief because of their ignorance – and I mean that in the kindest sense, that it is ignorance when someone chooses not to try to understand beyond what they think it is that they know. However, it does get tiresome when you're bombarded by the negative events that are actually only a smidgeon of the whole picture of a faith.

like Catholic priests molesting altar boys. Like Protestant preachers getting caught in flaming affairs. Like radical (and rabid) "believers" who give Islam or Christianity or Judaism (insert faith here) a bad name. Yes, these issues need to be brought to light so that we can make reparation that leads to healing and fellowship, but people need to understand that those incidents and episodes are the exception to the faith practiced by a people, not reality of that faith.

I work with many kind, decent and loving men who strive hard to lead the Church and serve her people through their love of their God. However, I don't read stories about the Father Bobs who agree to go to Mexico for language immersion classes so they can better serve the immigrant community they work with, or the John Pauls who put aside physical frailties to minister to the youth of the world. Or the Mother Teresas, the Billy Grahams or other spiritual people who try hard to enact the spirit of love they've found in God.

nope, it's just perpetual misunderstanding and misinformation about a religion or faith that gets carried on. And it gets old.

if you don't like or understand it, fine, it's no skin off my nose. However, I hope you would be kind enough respect that I embrace my belief because it works for me, and I'll work very hard to not proselytize my faith.

How personal is it when people can be brain-washed? Oh, please don't tell me that millions of people believing in the same thing that they've never seen are not brain-washed. "Till this day I don't understand what the hell "god" is! And I feel personally responsible to brain-wash other people and - what I believe I am doing - try to open their eyes.

The truth is somewhere out there: this thing called "god" either exists or not. If it exists, what is it? A Superman? Batman? Alien? Man? Monkey? No, you think it's "something." Oooohhhhhh, SOMETHING.

So you go to church or synagogue or mosque and pray to Mr. Something. And Mr. Something does what you want. Hell, no! Something is unpredictable, unjust, unfair, deaf, blind, evil as much as it's good, merciful, kind, helpful, and just.

Mr. Something does nothing really, but people want to believe that it watches them - pure exhibitionism! People want to believe that Something will listen and give them strength and faith, when they need it - pure weakness. People have never seen it or heard it, there is no indication of its existence, but they want to believe that it's a Caucasian, English-speaking, jack-of-all trades type of super-powerful being that kills innocents with the same ease as it connects people.

And even if you believe in this something called God, what does it have to do with religion? Don't you remember, this is the religion that burnt scientists at a stake, because they said the earth was round? The same religion burnt sick women calling them witches. The same religion preached that people should not oppose their masters, and that if you suffer on earth, you go to heaven. This same religion used to preach that sex is dirty, divorce and contraception are taboo, science is evil, and justice should be established and forced by them - the religious figures. You've forgotten the Inquisition or perhaps you've never heard of it before.

You may say that these people just used religion in their favor and that it changes as times have changed. I am astonished by the fact that science has gone so far that it can explain practically everything and create much more than god, that we know about nature, instincts, and evolution... and there is still this dark, dull-minded, common man's simple explanation that it's all god's work, that god is everywhere and in everything.

If you want to call nature and the universe "God", that's your personal choice. You can call it tomato or potato, as long as you're a good person and do what's right. But don't tell me that God had a Jewish son who was a human being, a magician, tricker, schizophrenic or whatever, conceived without his mother being f*cked... because it makes me feel like I could perform some tricks and claim that my kids were not conceived with a man, and you will believe me. But if I would tell you that, you would call me a crazy idiot, wouldn't you?

Altogether, I have a feeling that most religious people don't really expect anything from god, they just need some company. Do you blame god when your beloved die? No. Do you think god is responsible for your achievements? No. Do you think god wants you to be alive and healthy? If yes, why are you better than the people who get sick, hurt, raped, murdered, and die early?

So you believe that god is responsible for love on this earth. What about hatred, jealousy, envy, selfishness, and violence? If god is so potent then how come I am not influenced by him and do not believe in him? He doesn't need my resepct? Well... thank god! :laugh:

THIS is why I am loathe to share my faith. This kind of stuff hurts my feelings, I take it personally, and it makes me angry when people mock my faith. THIS is the kind of response that makes me keep my faith to myself.

I won't go piece by piece to explain to RP why she has horrible misconceptions about what religion is, and obviously a very shallow understanding of faith and exactly what religion is. It does get old, and I don't want to bother.

And even if you believe in this something called God,

Just yesterday you posted that you and your family observe Hanukkah..

Why do you observe and practice that religion if you don't believe in it ? seems a bit hypocritical

like Catholic priests molesting altar boys. Like Protestant preachers getting caught in flaming affairs. Like radical (and rabid) "believers" who give Islam or Christianity or Judaism (insert faith here) a bad name. Yes, these issues need to be brought to light so that we can make reparation that leads to healing and fellowship, but people need to understand that those incidents and episodes are the exception to the faith practiced by a people, not reality of that faith.

I work with many kind, decent and loving men who strive hard to lead the Church and serve her people through their love of their God. However, I don't read stories about the Father Bobs who agree to go to Mexico for language immersion classes so they can better serve the immigrant community they work with, or the John Pauls who put aside physical frailties to minister to the youth of the world. Or the Mother Teresas, the Billy Grahams or other spiritual people who try hard to enact the spirit of love they've found in God.

nope, it's just perpetual misunderstanding and misinformation about a religion or faith that gets carried on. And it gets old.

if you don't like or understand it, fine, it's no skin off my nose. However, I hope you would be kind enough respect that I embrace my belief because it works for me, and I'll work very hard to not proselytize my faith.

This is so interesting to me. I have never cared who or what people worship. But they are often offended when I do disagree with them or state that I do not participate in any sort of worship/belief of anything considered an organized religion.

I also found the above interesting Quank. Because I so often hear about the good religious people are doing via the media and via individuals... "he/she is doing god's work" in some way. But I deal with many who are doing just compassionate work that don't seem to get the same recognition as many religious icons/believers/followes. I know quite a few father Bob types that do so without any attachment to any religion or belief in a entity that do amazing things everyday without any reason to do so but it is the right thing to do. They are not doing gods will. They are not being held to anything but their own self designed path and ideals.

I guess my point is many times when you are not religious you are spat upon and considered lesser as not being one of "god's chosen ones". I guess it could be compared to reverse racism. I don't know. But I have experienced this quite often.

And I could care less if you worship a poptart or buddha. If that gets you through and brings you comfort so be it. My comfort comes from knowing that life is not just a test to get me into an after death club. What I do here right now is my responsibility. I get one shot at it, and it is a short trip and I best give it my all. There are no gods to back me up, or save me, or offering me some great prize when I die.

See I believe in something too...... just not what many may believe. I too deserve some respect for my beliefs if others expect the same from me.

Man... is the only animal that has true religion-several of them. Mark Twain

Just yesterday you posted that you and your family observe Hanukkah..

Why do you observe and practice that religion if you don't believe in it ? seems a bit hypocritical

Art we do Christmas as well. But we do not see it as a Christian holiday. We see it as a long standing tradition that we enjoy. It actually was not a christian holiday. It was adopted by the christians. Many holidays were. (perhaps this is a debate if one would like to debate it on a different thread)

Not trying to speak up for RP but the same question could be put to me indeed. :)

Art we do Christmas as well. But we do not see it as a Christian holiday. We see it as a long standing tradition that we enjoy. It actually was not a christian holiday. It was adopted by the christians. Many holidays were. (perhaps this is a debate if one would like to debate it on a different thread)

Not trying to speak up for RP but the same question could be put to me indeed. :)

Christmas was based on a pagan holiday to celebrate the winter solstice.

hanukkah wasn't.

Hanukkah commemorates the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem by Judas Maccabee in 165 BC after the Temple had been profaned by Antiochus IV Epiphanes, king of Syria and overlord of Palestine.
My theory is that those who are secure in their faith and in their adherence to it are unlikely to be bothered by somebody poking fun at it.

I am more spiritual than religious. But it doesn't bother me when others attack my religion, which is quite often since a lot of pedophiles take to Catholicism. :sick: What they say is true, there are some priests who have molested children. But Roman Catholic is the biggest organized religion in the world, so it stands to reason more flaws would occur within the RC Church than any other, based on the number of members alone. But it's no different than forming an opinion about the Muslim religion, merely by going on the actions of the extremists who commit terroristic acts.

That's just ignorant.

So if people feel the need to knock my religion based on the bad acts of some of it's members, then so be it. I don't see how faith plays into these people's lives at all. They, to me, are just weak minds who hide behind religion.

They aren't truly religious.

Christmas was based on a pagan holiday to celebrate the winter solstice.

hanukkah wasn't.

I did not say it was the same...... but many do celebrate simply because of tradition- and to educate their children about ancestors traditions, enjoy, and pass on the tradition without a total belief in the origin of the tradition... or what is thought to be the origin of the tradition.

I would often join friends of different religious faiths and join them in celebration even though I am not a believer. Wiccans, Jews, Baptists,..... why not share and learn about different cultures and ideals? If I had kids I would expose them to all religions I possibly could.

I would often join friends of different religious faiths and join them in celebration even though I am not a believer. Wiccans, Jews, Baptists,..... why not share and learn about different cultures and ideals? If I had kids I would expose them to all religions I possibly could.

Of course following a faith doesn't preclude learning about other religions. I minored in asian religions in college and study buddhism regularly, since it's more a philosophy of life rather than a religion, lacking a creation story and a diety. Growing up I was taught, "religion is a personal thing" -- and also "all spiritual paths lead to the same end, and all are valid."

The problem I have is when people mock anyone's faith, not just mine, or mock them for believing in God. It's a personal thing, like sexual orientation, IMO -- not something that other people really have any business making fun of.

I always seperated faith & the church as I think there are really different things. The church is more of a business.

two things that get to me are:

a lot of people seem to think that if you don't have relgion than you don't have morals which is insulting and false. You can be moral without god and do really wonderful things. Just as you can be corrupt and still believe in god.

Also I hate it when people use religion as a weapon it is so digusting to me.

I have seen a lot of tortured people who are faithful but not in the way they are supposed to be. For example I have a catholic gay friend.

but to answer the original questions I would think having people tease you about your church would be less hurtful that them teasing you about your faith.

Of course following a faith doesn't preclude learning about other religions. I minored in asian religions in college and study buddhism regularly, since it's more a philosophy of life rather than a religion, lacking a creation story and a diety. Growing up I was taught, "religion is a personal thing" -- and also "all spiritual paths lead to the same end, and all are valid."

The problem I have is when people mock anyone's faith, not just mine, or mock them for believing in God. It's a personal thing, like sexual orientation, IMO -- not something that other people really have any business making fun of.

I agrre that faith is very perosonal. But do you think it is a choice or that you are born into it?

I always thought sexual preference is something that you born with but you can choose your faith.

I agrre that faith is very perosonal. But do you think it is a choice or that you are born into it?

I always thought sexual preference is something that you born with but you can choose your faith.

I'm not comparing those things on that dimension, nor do I say that they are exactly alike. Sexual orientation is a personal thing. I didn't mention anything about choice. That's not the dimension I'm comparing them on. Excuse me for bad word choice.

I'm not comparing those things on that dimension, nor do I say that they are exactly alike. Sexual orientation is a personal thing. I didn't mention anything about choice. That's not the dimension I'm comparing them on. Excuse me for bad word choice.

No problem and I am still waking up myself so I am a little foggy.

I think it's a little of both. Obviously you've got a personal choice and certainly people deviate from the faith of their parents but most people of faith are in the same faith of at least one of their parents. It's true for me, and for my husband, despite our differences in faith.

See I have no problem if people joke with me and call me a "retired carpet muncher" or if they make jokes that my H had me switch teams...:lmao: ... that does not bother me one bit. Nor does it bother me if people tell me I will burn in hell...:rolleyes: ... what bothers me is when I am actually treated like I am indeed a lesser being because I do not believe in a religion or a god. It bothers me when I am forced to adhere to laws based on the religious belief of another. It bothers me when my belief in nothing is used as a tool to judge my character. Just as me being a carpet muncher has no bearing on how good of a person I am or my deeds good or bad. It is a shame though that some would indeed take my personal belief in nothing as a signal that I am "evil" or "lesser" in some way. Worst yet that I am "lost" or missing out on something......... so not true. I feel quite complete without religion.

The test of a good religion is whether you can joke about it. - G.K. Chesterton (very interesting dude btw)

I think often many do not have a choice. I mean if you are not exposed to other possible explainations or other religions how could you really have choice? I would imagine for some it is very difficult to deviate from their religion that they have drilled into their heads by parents and peers.

Many racists are simply racists because they are born into it as well. A belief passed down to them and drilled into their heads by family or peers.

what bothers me is when I am actually treated like I am indeed a lesser being because I do not believe in a religion or a god.

It bothers me when my belief in nothing is used as a tool to judge my character.

The test of a good religion is whether you can joke about it. - G.K. Chesterton (very interesting dude btw)

If anyone is judging you for what you believe or don't believe, they are very hypocritical.

"Judge not least ye be judged" from the Bible.

Forget those people a4a, don't let them make you feel bad. They are just those holy rollers who have to shove religion down other's throats. Have they died and know everything firsthand?? Then they should just shut up. And quite possibly go pray for your soul. :D