Anyone here do any volunteer work? Do you like it? Is it fulfilling?

I'm contemplating doing some volunteer work for purely selfish reason. :p I know it's the wrong motivation, but I figured that by helping others it would somehow put things into perspective. I feel like I have far too much free time on my hands and it would be a nice distraction from my own petty troubles.

Thanks! :)

HokeyReligions

As far as I can tell, there is no really wrong reason to volunteer - unless its used for illegal reasons.

Help is needed and everyplace I've been the volunteers get as much, if not more, out of the work than those they are doing it for.

I used to do a lot of volunteer work when I had time. I haven't in a long time. I got really burned out after Katrina. I was a zoo docent for a long time - worked mainly with reptiles (snakes mostly) and gave what was called 'roving lectures' and tours. Sometimes when it was raining I would just muck out cages and care for animals. Sometimes I did that even when it wasn't raining just because I preferred to be with the animals more than the people!

I've done volunteer work at animal shelters - caring for animals and keeping them socialized; working with people who were adopting animals too. It was rewarding and heart-breaking all at the same time.

I've been thinking that after mom is gone and I have begun to move on with my own life, I will do some volunteer work at the hospice. This may sound weird, but I don't hurt inside as much when I'm working with people as I do with animals. I feel more compassionate toward animals.

• Author

Thanks HR. Actually I really love animals so maybe an animal shelter would not be such a bad idea. I have also contemplated helping out at a local hospital. I've always been fascinated with the medical profession in general (or maybe I watch too much Grey's Anatomy :laugh: )

Hokey--it seems like I work with snakes a lot too--just not of the reptilian variety!

Volunteering is a great thing and you do it for YOUR reasons. Some do it for advancement and connections, some do it for the persnal satisfaction of helping out, others do it for perspective as you said.

If you want a taste of what is out there--and there are many opportunities for you to meet your capabilities and desires.

You ought to call your county or city and see if they have a Volunteer Center. I am on the board of one for my county and we are essentially match.com for the volunteer world. Organizations needing volunteers come to us and we match them up with people looking to volunteer. We have people who have business acumen to help start ups, meals on wheels,habitat for humanity, community clean up days, school positions, fire department positions, etc.

A very worthy cause.

Thanks

destination_unknown

Definitely do some volunteer work! It helps other people and you get to meet so many new friends too. Sometimes I think its volunteering that keeps me going instead of the volunteers keeping the organisation going! Everybody wins.

Thanks HR. Actually I really love animals so maybe an animal shelter would not be such a bad idea. I have also contemplated helping out at a local hospital. I've always been fascinated with the medical profession in general (or maybe I watch too much Grey's Anatomy :laugh: )

Before you consider volunteering in an animal shelter find out what it's policies are on kill/no kill. As an animal lover you are going to have some serious grief when the kill day rolls around for those animals with whom you have begun to bond.

Another option is to work in a no kill shelter or work in a pet rescue/animal rescue environment. Sad situations yes but there is such a great feeling to be a part of the rehabilitation and then placement of an animal that has had such a crappy life till you came into it.

If there aren't any such organizations in your area, start one. But really they seem to be everywhere.

• Author

Thanks guys. Craig, you have a good point, I didn't even think of the kill/no kill shelters. I know it would be extremely difficult to become attached to an animal only to have it put down.

You can find shelters in your area at petfinder.com, they also have a volunteer sign up page.

Keep in mind that not all shelters are up to par if private or run by the local animal control. Check out many of them before you commit to just one. (remember even tho you may just be volunteering if you commit you need to follow through)

Kill shelters are in serious need of help.

Please keep in mind it is not the kill shelters fault they are out of room and have to kill to make more room. The fault lays squarely on the heads of irresponsible pet owners that neglect or just dump their "unwanted" animals at the shelters.

volunteermatch.com is another site to find many orgs.

reservoirdog1
Thanks HR. Actually I really love animals so maybe an animal shelter would not be such a bad idea.

An EEEEvil animal shelter? :laugh:

Couldn't resist.

I don't think it matters if you have "selfish" reasons for volunteering. Sure, you do it to make yourself feel good, but so what? Other people (or animals) are benefitting from your "selfishness". By that definition, there are NO completely selfless acts -- as soon as you're getting something at all positive out of it, voila... selfishness.

Where I live there's a service called boardmatch.org, which hooks up people who are interested in serving on the boards of non-profit organizations with organizations that are looking for board members. I got involved that way and have enjoyed it a lot so far. Maybe there's a similar service in your area?

there are a lot of ways to hook up with a volunteer gig – our local paper does a community service section from time to time, publicizing the kinds of opportunities available, requirements and contact info. Also, check local churches/ministerial alliance, which often are in direct contact with those organization needing volunteers, or even look at bulletin boards in bookstores, grocery stores, libraries, etc. People often put up flyers there. Meals on Wheels always needs folks to help deliver food.

even if you do go into a volunteer position for selfish reasons, those are quickly left behind when you realize that your little bit can make a lot of difference to that organization. One of things I kind of fell into was taking pictures of converts at one of our churches when the nun who ran the show needed photos for a display board. And I liked it because I got to meet more people, which helped with my job!

if you're interested primarily in working with animals, but aren't sure about working at an animal shelter because of a kill policy, check with local vets to see what ideas they recommend.

• Author

Thanks everyone! I've done a bit of research to see what is available in my area, and I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the number and scope of opportunities. It's a little daunting. I considered volunteering for the Dems but to be honest I'm not hugely interested in politics (honestly, these bloggers seems to live and breathe C-SPAN) other than not being a fan of Bush and other conservatives for various reasons. [PLEASE don't turn this into a libs/cons thread, I'm begging!!! :D ] I'd best describe myself as middle of the road and not 100% educated on ALL the issues, so I feel like volunteering for the Dems would be silly if I were only doing it a la carte.

That said, I've also considered doing some clerical work for local hospitals, with the intent on "graduating" to something more hands on. I am a little apprehensive about the whole business of helping people hands on. What if I do or say something insensitive or totally un-PC!? That's definitely something that keeps me hemming and hawing.

That's definitely something that keeps me hemming and hawing.

I started giving blood a couple of months ago.. I am now set up to give every 60 days..

I wasn't able to figure out how to fit in volunteer time into my life so I figured that I can give the red cross and hour and a pint instead..

If I can make a suggestion- Work with people..... I have been in volunteering for EMS and disaster-type help scenarios for 6 years- There is nothing like it-

To be able to help another human being and to be thanked for it- is something you will always cherish(not taking anything away from helping animals cause it's a great cause as well)- Dealing with sick people and people who need your help is very humbling and a little goes a long way. You can even volunteer with the Red Cross and be able to respond to incidents where people can really use your help- good luck.