Should I Give Up My Career Goal And Find Something Else?

I want to get into film directing, and thought after making some short films and helping people out with their movies to get experience, I am told by people a lot that my work stinks and I am not cut out for it, and that I would just be wasting my money. I talked about my goals on these threads before:

[redacted link]

But maybe other filmmakers are right and I should just look for a new long term career goal. But how do I know what I want to do or how does one decide? I have no idea what I'm good at and never liked any of the jobs I've had over the past two decades. So how does one decide on what to do therefo

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I enjoy my line of work. It's not too stressful, it pays the bills, people respect me, and there are a lot of opportunities for upward mobility. It's a career that utilizes my strengths rather than my weaknesses.

It's not a career I dreamed of having growing up.

It's not something I specifically went to school for.

It's not something I enjoy doing in my free time.

But I am happy with my career and the lifestyle it allows me to live.

So what are your talents? What are the things you are good at? What are your weaknesses?

I think that would be the most logical place to start. Identifying what you are naturally good at.

From there I would start brainstorming what industries or careers utilize those sorts of skills.

• Like 1
35, just turned actually.

wow! I thought you were early 20s. well, by 35 most people have some sort of idea what career they would like.

since you don't you should ask others (parents, siblings, friends, etc) what sort of career they see you in. its good to get someone else's point of view.

for example when I was 21 and in university I had to declare a major. I didn't know what field I wanted to go in. I asked my family and they said I should get a business degree with a concentration in computers.

so that's what I did and the rest is history

What do you like to do? What catches your interest in everyday life?

You're still quite young. Plenty of time to pursue what interests you and find a way to support yourself through it.

If I was your age right now I'd probably get my A&P and pilot's license and work overseas. Money isn't that good but man what an adventure. That's the kind of stuff that interests me. What interests you?

alphamale I disagree that by age 35 most people know what they want to do for a career. Everyone is on his/her own path. People discover themselves and their calling at various stages of their lives. There is no one fits all path.

Some people spend 35 years doing the same thing because they knew it was their calling, and they had the community and resources to support their path. Whereas, others may have that same calling, but for whatever reason can't connect with a supportive community or the resources necessary to nurture that person's development and growth in their chosen career field.

Ironpony, if "film" is your calling, then find a way to make it happen. Ditch the negative people who criticize you b/c that's just their opinion. Do you know how many people work in the film industry? A lot!

Just keep trying. You'll get there one step at a time. And happy belated birthday!

• Like 2
  • Author

Oh well I've always wanted to direct in filmmaking, but I keep being told I am not good at it, and maybe if I don't get the hang of it by now, maybe it's time to give up and do something else, or so I've been told by other filmmakers. That is what I always wanted to do but if I am no good at it, then maybe having second thoughts.

But I have no idea what I would want to do otherwise.

OK, you've got a studio in your pocket and a potential world-wide audience out there. Go make something that interests you and publish it. It's your talent that will attract notice. Tell a story. Critics are everywhere.

Sample:

That kid went on to make a movie about a shark that was pretty popular....

• Like 2
  • Author

Okay thanks, but I've done that before, and still told I should choose another career path, and that I would be wasting my money in all certainty. So that makes me wonder if I should spend a lot more money to make something better, and keep trying.

What is your background in film making? Do you have a degree, have taken classes? Do you have equipment? Have you worked on movies before (not your own, other people's)?

The challenge is that a lot of very talented people have been told they didn't have what it takes and then...voila, they hit it big and/or enough that they can make a living off it. On the other hand, a lot of very talented people and also some very not so talented people have also been told they don't have what it takes and they work and work and work, and still aren't able to hit it big or make a living off film making. It's a highly competitive and crowded field. It's impossible for any of us on this site to know whether you actually do have talent or are living a pipe dream.

That said, if it's your dream, I think you should allow yourself one year to pursue it, provided you can do so financially. Make a plan (as I suggested in your other thread) and go and see what happens. You will likely need to move to somewhere more film centric, like Vancouver, like you mentioned in your other thread.

Also...what about becoming a videographer? Seems like there’s a lot of work out there for that. Particularly in advertising. That way you are still kind of crafting your skills. And then in your free time you can still work on the movie directing thing.

Big difference between messing around making Youtube videos and entering an actual career making movies.

OK maybe your directing is not up to scratch, is there any other part of the movie business, maybe in a lesser role that you may be good at?

A film director seems to me to be a big complicated job.

With little specific education and only sporadic p/t hands on experience, it may be a big ask for you to just jump into that at 35.

Responsibilities

As a film director, you'll need to:

read scripts

work with writers and provide feedback on the further development of scripts

select actors - sometimes working with casting directors and producers during this selection process

monitor rehearsals

direct actors during the filming

select locations for filming

hold meetings with key departments such as the camera, art and costume departments during the planning stages and throughout the filming

agree the budget and schedule of the film with the producer

be responsible for staying on budget and schedule

supervise all creative aspects of the production

work with the editor to present the final version of the film

select music for the final film and/or work with a composer to decide on the musical score

build and develop a network of contacts including writers, producers, film festivals and public funding bodies

maintain contemporary technical skills

have an awareness and knowledge of emerging industry trends.

Iron, I haven't liked any of my jobs over the past decade either. But the biggest joy in my life and the the thing that I'm most passionate about is being with and having sex with my wife. There's nothing better. The only regret I'm going to have when I die is that I didn't find her sooner so we could have more years to be together and have sex. And having jobs I don't really like supports our family and enables me to do that.

Long story short, find what you're passionate about and find a way to work and support that. Work doesn't have to be the passion in your life.

• Like 1

I think there are very few people who made an intellectual decision that they wanted to be a director and then became a successful one.

You need talent and vision to make a career of it.

Maybe you lack that. In any case, it's kind of like going to Hollywood to "get discovered" and make the big time as a movie star. Many want it and few get it. Also the majority of people need to have a job to support themselves while they're working towards succeeding with directing as a career.

There are many roles in the film industry that a person can learn at a trade school like sound engineer, camera person, lights, etc. Maybe going to school for one of these would work for you. At the same time you could pursue your own goal to direct, on the side.

Film directing? Only if you want to starve :laugh:

Frankly, most people are lucky if they can deal with their job just enough to get up in the morning and go to it. Life isn't a dream, and we do our children a disservice by telling them to find a job they "love." Find a job that you can stand and a salary that will help you live well. And mostly that will be determined by your social connections, rather than by your skills or education. And if you have to go out and "get discovered" then you already don't know the right people. Start thinking about your skills and the people you know. What connections do they have? How can you make friends in the right places? Think outside the jobs you do now and the jobs you've done before.

Iron, I haven't liked any of my jobs over the past decade either. But the biggest joy in my life and the the thing that I'm most passionate about is being with and having sex with my wife. There's nothing better. The only regret I'm going to have when I die is that I didn't find her sooner so we could have more years to be together and have sex. And having jobs I don't really like supports our family and enables me to do that.

Long story short, find what you're passionate about and find a way to work and support that. Work doesn't have to be the passion in your life.

That is lovely. :love:

Some people are able to find a calling and career, that they love and find meaningful. And that they can make a living from. Good for them. That’s wonderful for them and I’m very happy for them.

But we are not all so lucky. For most people, the point of having a job is to provide a service that is valuable enough to people that you get paid enough to live and support yourself and the people you love, and ideally, that you have enough time and money to pursue the things you love in your free time.

• Like 1

The people who said your film work stinks: do you respect their opinions?

If your work is no good, but you truly want to do it, can you learn how to do it. Everything in life takes learning and practice, even the great sportspeople didn't just do it naturally, they had to learn the correct way (either by trial and error, or by being shown) and then they had to practise..loads!

• Author

Oh well I want to learn but they said after years of trying and trying to study it, maybe it's not for me and I should accept that and move onto something else for a career.

• Author

But I keep feeling like there is this driving force in me that keeps driving me to get better at it no matter what. Should I listen to that force, or should I just acknowledge that others say I am no good at it, and try to find something else I am good at?