Volunteering, Self-Fulfillment and Internal Motivation

I've been taking a lot of "me time" after my recent breakup from a toxic relationship, and have been thinking about things I could do to improve myself and feel more fulfilled and confident. Feeling like my own person again has given me motivation to work on myself, and it feels amazing. Wanted to write out and share some of my successes so far.

- I've started listening to podcasts on a variety of topics during my subway commute. Investing, DIY, fitness, etc. instead of mindless IG surfing that I would usually do.

- I've been better about maintaining better cleanliness in my living space, keeping my car cleaner, my desk, etc. I would let things pile on my desk, clothes all over the place, etc.

- Changed my workout schedule, which has done wonders for the quality of my sleep. And as a result, I feel like I have more mental energy at work and have been sharper on my projects and achievements.

- Generally better about speaking my mind instead of holding things to myself. Not to say I'm unfiltered, just more confident in sharing my thoughts. At home, at work, with family, etc.

- Signed up to volunteer at my local SPCA, I love animals in general

Of course, I still have a long way to go. My social anxiety is something I will probably deal with my entire life, just a matter of minimizing it. I was a late bloomer for dating, socialization and work-life in general. So I feel like what I'm learning now are things people in their mid-20s would be learning. But I am where I am, and I feel so much better about where I need to go and my capacity and motivation to get there. Self improvement has really provided a clear goal for me going forward.

Sounds like a great plan. I do some volunteering as well (mentoring girls in tech), and the fulfillment it gives me is immense. I'd highly recommend it to anyone - pick a cause you're passionate for, and give a bit of time in your life to it on a regular basis.

• Author
Sounds like a great plan. I do some volunteering as well (mentoring girls in tech), and the fulfillment it gives me is immense. I'd highly recommend it to anyone - pick a cause you're passionate for, and give a bit of time in your life to it on a regular basis.

For sure, I think for me I didn't feel like my own person in my recent relationship. Even if I suggested things to do, we always ended up doing what my ex-GF wanted. I had given up a while back, and in hindsight I was missing out on so much self-improvement and growth.

And I think that made me realize how much I value the importance of self-growth with a partner. Someone who encourages you to pursue new skills/hobbies/etc., instead of intense codependency. Someone who "forces" me to want to level up so to speak, to support me in bettering myself. And I want to be that same person for that partner.

Being "free" of that cage, I feel so much more confident in pursuing my own self-improvement.

I agree. Good partners support each other in self growth, even if it involves a bit of sacrifice on their part.