Hanging out with 20 year olds when your 32 on holiday is it weird

Bluecheesenofleas

So I'm a 32 year old man. And I'm on holiday in Thailand I recently arrived to one of the islands in thailand and I befriended 2 young guys who are 20 from the netherlands. We're on a similar wavelength and there hasn't been any awkward situations regarding hanging out with an older man.

In terms of conversations i can keep up and there is common interests etc.

In fact they appreciated it and they said that compared to many of the English tourists I made an effort to speak to them etc. But since hanging out with these 2 guys I've noticed I've started to think about my age and where exactly I'm trying to go with my life. I'm a doctor by trade, and travelling wasnt exactly easy when I was in med school, it's only in my late 20s I decided to explore the world. I'm unmarried and I was thinking to myself how weird it is for a man like me with an established career who's going on nights out and getting drunk with 20 year old lads. Even though I look every bit my 32 years. Physically in terms of activities such as hiking and even partying I can still cut the mustard. But it still feels a little weird in a way. When I was the same age as these boys. I was entering med school in 2007 and they were still in elementary school. I dont feel out of place but I can feel time catching up with me. I dont think I can carry on with these type of holidays etc. On a sidenote my best friend is nearly 10 years older then me (although he looks you ger) but I feel after a certain point in life e.g. after 28 it's normal to have friends in this age group

Flip it around.

Is it weird for 20+ year olds to hang out with 32 year olds on a holiday?

Depends on the situation I suppose,

at 38 I know I would not be able for a drinking holiday with 20 year olds, but other than that aspect I would have no problem with it for a week or so, it could open up a rare opportunity with some nice 20 year old ladies again!!

and I tell you another thing for sure,

I will still beat any 20 year old on a squash court

• Like 1
Hanging out with 20 year olds when your 32 on holiday is it weird

Given the lack of maturity and judgement by many at that age (me included :) !), I'd be concerned about involvement in some legal or social situation with long-term implications - drugs, bar fights, etc. YMMV...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Is it weird? Maybe. But is there anything that's "normal" these days?

The age gap makes it a lot more unlikely that you will have things in common. But it seems like you've all managed to bridge that gap in some way, in which case there's no point worrying.

A couple of years ago I met some previously lost relatives who are in their early 40s (I'm late 20s). I don't even notice the age difference - we have incredibly similar interests. Connection is more important than some time-based numbers.

Given the lack of maturity and judgement by many at that age (me included !), I'd be concerned about involvement in some legal or social situation with long-term implications - drugs, bar fights, etc. YMMV...

And this is where age becomes more of an advantage... you know how to have fun, go wild AND stay out of trouble ;)

• Like 1
And this is where age becomes more of an advantage... you know how to have fun, go wild AND stay out of trouble ;)

True. But if he's sitting having a drink with them and one of the pair has several grams of coke in his pocket, possible to get swept up in any resulting trouble. At best an inconvenience, at worst a trip through a legal system very different than ours...

Mr. Lucky

CautiouslyOptimistic

Far more unusual than hanging out with 20-year-olds on vacation is taking time out of your vacation to post about it on an interpersonal relationship forum, I think....

• Like 2
True. But if he's sitting having a drink with them and one of the pair has several grams of coke in his pocket, possible to get swept up in any resulting trouble. At best an inconvenience, at worst a trip through a legal system very different than ours...

Ah, you take me back. My brother had a friend who thought it would be fun to mail his brother some drugs (marijuana, if I’m remembering correctly) while he was teaching English in Asia. I don’t even want to guess how much it cost his parents to get him out of jail and home... it took, the better part of 4-6 months.

I don’t even want to guess how much it cost his parents to get him out of jail and home... it took, the better part of 4-6 months.

I believe it. My daughter taught English on an all-expat staff in Shanghai for a year. One fellow staff member was caught with a single ecstasy dose and had not been heard from 7 months later when the term ended.

Zero tolerance in many parts of the world...

Mr. Lucky

I'm 45 and get along great with 20 year olds. I think it's because I'm young spirited. They've been work friends, patients I click with. I don't judge it I'm nice to all age groups but my favorite is the young ones. They have a zest for life that matches my own, I'm not settled and I don't relate well with those that are or have been. I'm still finding myself much like a 20 year old.

So really don't worry about it, you'll gravitate towards those people you have things in common with. Be it young or old.

Well, you may have missed this step in your development from being too busy, so it's actually good you're catching up a little now rather than waking up at 45 and having a midlife crisis! You aren't old. You're in your prime. Yes, 20 year old guys are a different animal. You can be a nice example for them in some ways I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO you shouldn't have to pigeon hole yourself into a limited age group because of your age. I have friends that are in their 20's and other friends all the way to their 70's and I'm 55. I get along with everyone and have lots in common or I wouldn't bother hanging out with them. Have at it, and enjoy their company. They say you have a more fulfilling life having friends of all different ages. IMO in this modern age with our technology, the age gaps are narrowing compared to say 40 years ago.

JustGettingBy

Hanging out with people with that much of an age difference, or even greater, every now and then is fine. Many adult groups of friends have a huge difference in ages.

If you're 32 and most of your non-work socializing is done with 20 year olds, that would be a little weird.

I'm 45 and get along great with 20 year olds. I think it's because I'm young spirited. They've been work friends, patients I click with. I don't judge it I'm nice to all age groups but my favorite is the young ones. They have a zest for life that matches my own, I'm not settled and I don't relate well with those that are or have been. I'm still finding myself much like a 20 year old.

So really don't worry about it, you'll gravitate towards those people you have things in common with. Be it young or old.

Well I'm 10 years younger than you and if that's you in your avatar I'm sure I'd get along well too!!!!!

I look way too young for my age. Heck most of the replies I do get on online dating range from 25-32 years old.

I'm attracted to younger girls. I would prefer a 22 year old girlfriend.

GorillaTheater
I would prefer a 22 year old girlfriend.

No, you'd prefer a 16 year old girlfriend. You're just smart enough to know that you don't want to become someone's girlfriend in prison.

• Like 1
No, you'd prefer a 16 year old girlfriend. You're just smart enough to know that you don't want to become someone's girlfriend in prison.

LOL dateline NBC.

One of my colleagues is in his 40s. He 'hangs out' during breaks with some junior employees who are in their 20s. Why? Because though he's slowed down he has never really grown up. He's a nice guy. But seriously he's trying to recapture his youth.

As for yourself. Is it weird. Not as odd as posting it on a forum. You are on holidays. That is the time people see new things & meet new people. The likeness of you meeting these kids again is slim to nonexistent. Have fun, stay safe.