Weird behavior from my new therapist

bluesunflower

So I’ve been going to a new therapist for a few weeks now and I really like her, which is why I am conflicted. In our three sessions, she has revealed private stories of other patients which at first I shook off. But then today, she did two things which concerned me. Firstly, she sent me a Facebook friend request of her private account. Secondly, she invited me to a group session she has been brainstorming since our first meeting. When she first told me she wanted all her clients to meet each other and form friendships and she was planning on organizing a social, I truly thought it was wishful thinking but now she has actually planned it. I rejected both things and I think in my next appointment I’m going to say something about it. I had a previous therapist tell me she wished her clients could meet each other, but explained it’s not legal so this is how I know, along with the weird feeling I get, that my current therapist is in the wrong. I’m not incredibly bothered or anything, it’s just a bit strange. However, I love our sessions and I’ve gotten a lot out of them. Has anyone else’s therapist stepped over boundaries like this? Did you confront them? I’d love any input!

amaysngrace

My daughter did an in-patient stay because she was in crisis and forming relationships with other patients was discouraged.

You’re just not in the right frame of mind when you need to seek out therapy. Besides, who wants their relationship to be based on mental illness anyway?

Yea, sounds like you need a new therapist. Most therapists are good by the way, as long as you go in there looking to be well and are willing to do the work required.

Therapy is only as good as what you’re willing to give to it. You can give what you’ve got to any therapist. Hopefully you’ll find a more professional one.

I mean, there's such a thing as group therapy if everyone has a similar issue. But putting this on Facebook seems going way too far to me. And she should not be talking about other patients at all unless they consent in writing.

amaysngrace

If she’ll violate your privacy on small matters what’s to say she won’t violate your privacy on your big ones? I wouldn’t trust her.

Besides how is she suppose to offer therapy on boundaries if she has no idea of how to maintain them on her own?

I’m sorry that you like her but you really do need to find a new therapist, one who respects the privacy of their patients.

People with mental illness are fragile. Clear boundaries are needed there more than anywhere imo.

• Like 1

Group therapy and sharing other patients' stories is ok, the therapist I used to go to did that too, without revealing names. It helps you realize you're not alone or unique when it comes to your dysfunction. But that friend request was extremely unprofessional! I can't of any therapist in their right mind would do that, inappropriate.

I also think the fb friend request was a complete violation of boundaries. Actually she was not supposed to accept if you were the one making the friend request.

salparadise

Confidentiality is a big deal (HIPAA), legally, and talking about other patient's issues is certainly out of line. Only in the most general way, without any detail that could lead to identification, could this be considered okay. She should not indicate that they're her patients. Add to that the FB requests and trying to get everyone to be social with one another and you have a disaster in the making.

I had a therapist once who gave hugs. She was hot too. I mean seriously hot. It started out innocent enough (for a boundary crossing gesture), but the hugs kept getting longer, closer, and more intimate. Then one day her facial expression made it clear that it was not innocent. I had to quit. It would've messed me up to get involved my therapist. It sure does make for some good fantasy material though. :bunny: I wonder if that has anything to do with... oh, never mind.

I agree with PreRaph and JuneL.

Nothing wrong with a social itself. The Facebook idea is weird.

healing light

I find this really weird. I'm a licensed acupuncturist so I'm bound by HIPAA the same way that psychologists and other medical health professionals are. I cannot confirm or deny that someone is a patient, so inviting patients to an online group event revealing all of their identities goes against that legal requirement. I would personally be afraid that my license would be at risk if someone reported this behavior.

whichwayisup

Find a new therapist!! She has crossed boundaries and also is unprofessional by telling you about other clients issues and situations. Imagine YOUR life story being shared? I'm sure you'd be upset and angry, feel betrayed.

A therapist is someone you're supposed to trust, feel comfortable with and be able to be vulnerable.

• Author
bluesunflower

Thank you everyone for your responses! I want to apologize for not being more clear as it seems like most of you misinterpreted what I said - the Facebook and the social were separate. I definitely should have rewrote that because I can see how it is confusing! She sent me a friend request and messaged me privately about the social - it was not a FB group or event thank god. But it was really nice to get your thoughts on the social as it seems like that is okay by most people, I genuinely was not sure what to think.