How to improve your memory?

I have a horrible memory. I have to write things down or else I will forget. I think I'm also often very absent-minded and unorganized.

Could someone recommend me a good book on improving your memory? Or tell me what works for you. What do you do to remember things better?

Thank you. :)

ReluctantRomeo

Seriously, I tend to try to visualise things. Or to understand how they fit together. Or relate them to something else. I break things down if necessary.

Mnemonics books and tricks can help, but they're more into specific things like remembering 3000 people's names - they won't make you less absentminded.

A Fly onThe Wall

How much you party, drink and drug can have a huge effect on your memory.. It takes at least 72 hours after for the fuzziness to start to wear off.

By the way.. I'm not saying you party, drug or drink.. Just answering your question with any knowledge I have.

ReluctantRomeo
Originally posted by A Fly onThe Wall

By the way.. I'm not saying you party, drug or drink.. Just answering your question with any knowledge I have.

You're almost as useful as I am :p

• Author
Originally posted by ReluctantRomeo

Seriously, I tend to try to visualise things. Or to understand how they fit together. Or relate them to something else. I break things down if necessary.

Mnemonics books and tricks can help, but they're more into specific things like remembering 3000 people's names - they won't make you less absentminded.

My problem is not only being absent-minded, I'd also like to have a good memory in general. :)

• Author

How much you party, drink and drug can have a huge effect on your memory.. It takes at least 72 hours after for the fuzziness to start to wear off.

Nah, I'm a good girl. :love:

Originally posted by ReluctantRomeo

You're almost as useful as I am :p

True, true. :laugh:

I have to write things down or else I will forget. I think I'm also often very absent-minded and unorganized.

We all have way too many things to remember to keep them all straight. Top executives use planners. Well-organized homemakers use planners. It's no sin to need to write things down - in fact, often the act of writing them down will help you remember them.

But there are definitely books on improving one's memory if you want to find out how.

• Author

Guys, just recommend me books or give me tips to memorize things better! :p I would like to have such a great memory so that I do not always have to write things down as if I was an Alzheimer patient. I'd like to be able to remember conversations without having to ask people over and over again what they said. And I would like to be able to cite things by just reading them once. That's all that's on my list, Santa Claus. :)

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by loony

Guys, just recommend me books or give me tips to memorize things better! :p I would like to have such a great memory so that I do not always have to write things down as if I was an Alzheimer patient. I'd like to be able to remember conversations without having to ask people over and over again what they said. And I would like to be able to cite things by just reading them once. That's all that's on my list, Santa Claus. :)

Loony.. your memory must really be going.. You posted this same topic last week.. Have you forgotten all the good advice already ? :laugh::laugh:

• Author

Loony.. your memory must really be going.. You posted this same topic last week.. Have you forgotten all the good advice already ? :laugh::laugh:

:p

Oh gosh, loon...I'm EXACTLY the same, actually I think I'm worse :o

It's been occuring more frequently too.

In just the past 2 days :

1)I lost my friggin driver's licence.

2)I went straight from the doc's office to the pharmacy - only to discover

that somewhere in that 3 block radius I lost the prescription!!!

And this is me being SOBER....

Rosalind :bunny:

Things you have to consider is the general stress you are under. The more you are under stress, the worse your memory seems to suffer. Mnemonics is a tactic to improve your memory.

Also it is possible to improve your memory through playing games. Especially complex games, such as chess. However, most of the games will be time-consuming, so you won't reap the rewards immediately.

I hardly suffer from forgetting things. I remember a lot of useless facts, but somehow am able to connect them to other facts, and seemingly make sense of a lot of things. I don't have an auto-quote function; it is most often enough to know where the quote is from.

As for books, I can't recommend you any. Sorry :(.

• 2 weeks later...
pearlsasinger

Instead of assuming you can't remember something next time, just concentrate and think about it for another minute. A friend of mine said it really helped him.

loony,

I know where you're coming from. My brother, (who is my boss), can remember what happen 4 years ago last Teusday. I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Call it age, call it too much drinking or smoking dope, call it whatever you want. I think some people have great memories, and some don't.

Or could it be some sort of deificiency in our diets? Check into that maybe?

• Author

Somehow this topic seems to cause a lot of amusement. :confused::mad::p

Supplying your body with enough water is good for your memory, at least that's what I heard is recommended to elderly people.

pearlsasinger, a minute is a looong time when you have to study a lot (even though I'm not a student anymore, so that reduces the amount of information I have to take up).

pearlsasinger

I guess I should have said take an extra 10 or 15 seconds...yes, a minute is too long. (I guess part of the point is if you start telling yourself that yes, you can remember, you will.)

I'm kind of forgetful too...I swear by making lists. And if I'm introduced to people, I try to repeat their name in my head or aloud as much as I can right away. The repetition really helps.

There is no instant or surefire solution. Every one of them takes work and time. It's not like you can take a pill to repair your memory forever.

• Author
Originally posted by Outcast

There is no instant or surefire solution. Every one of them takes work and time. It's not like you can take a pill to repair your memory forever.

I don't want to take any pills. :confused: I'd like to know some strategies and tips that really work.

I have bad memory as well...well its selective memory..but what i do is take vitamins...theres vitamins that can help improve ya memory skills...i have to ask my mommy cuz she just sets the vitamins out for me everynight to take.. but yea look into which vitamins help improve memory...

also i used to work at tha movie theatres at concession stand, and had to remember orders...so what i would do is repeat it to myself five times..and that helped me out

when i was in highschool, i used to write down what i wanted to remember read it over again and then write it again on the back and that helped me with my study habits..aka i was gonna use the pieces of paper i wrote on as cheat sheets, but when test time came i actually rememberd the stuff

• Author
Originally posted by Outcast

So go read some books. There are some very good ones on this subject.

Well, recommend me some!

You can just as easily search Amazon as I can, lazybones :p I'm trying to remember the ones I've heard were very good LOL

But seriously, I suggest you check out 'improve memory' at Amazon or your favourite bookstore's online database or your local library and look through some of the books to see which would appeal to you.