Good at "multitasking" always a good thing?

Very often I read or hear someone saying they are good at multitasking.

I admit. I'm not very good and doing multiple things at once but what I am good at is getting one thing done at a time. I know people who can't do anything without doing something else at the same time and never finish what they started... or worse, more often do everything half-baked.

It's like a dog chasing a rabbit that get's distracted by the squirrel in the tree.

So what are your opinions on the "multitasking" craze?

Like anything else, it's a skill, though we live in an age that prioritizes it more and more.

I try and place the "task" in context. If it's attending my son's guitar recital, going to get my full focus and attention. I'll turn my phone off to make sure this is the case. Same with a meal with the family.

But if it's watching a baseball game on TV, I may be on my tablet and/or phone at the same time. Same with music, it seems to accompany many other activities.

It would be hard in a general sense for me to be limited to one thing at a time...

Mr. Lucky

Apparently women are much better at multitasking than men,

and who am I to disagree,

get one thing done well, better than half doing a few things would be my motto though.

The latest studies now show that multitasking is not beneficial and is less productive. Just heard that on the radio this past year. And I agree with it.

I hate multitasking unless it's me being able to get two things done in one lump of time and save myself some time.

Multitasking is unfortunately required in many jobs, including parenthood! I still advise you organize the best you can to avoid as much of that as possible and keep the stress low.

• Like 1

Some recent research suggests that multitasking is a fallacy. When you devote your attention to more than one thing at a time, you miss important details and don't get the full picture. Of course, if each task is "shallow" and doesn't require much thought then it might be possible. But you obviously wouldn't want to do something else while you're doing something really mind-intensive like problem solving or reading something very detailed, or something creative like writing or making art.

• Like 1

Few have the luxury of being able to concentrate wholly on one task for hours and hours at a time.

Especially in the home and looking after young children, multi-tasking is the norm and is necessary.

One cannot spend hours and hours scrubbing and polishing the bathroom to a new and perfect state, but at the same time ignore hungry, messy and poopy children... that is the reality of many lives.

Fine in a perfect world, but those who need to multitask daily, tend to do so as there is little alternative.

I have to multitask for my job, but I don't need to do it so much in real life. I have a short attention span and always need to be busy. I typically read 2-3 books at a time because I get bored with just one. I don't know that it's necessarily more efficient to multitask. It depends on what you're doing.

RecentChange

I guess it depends on what exactly we are talking about.

Am I good at shopping, working, and taking care of my pets at the same time? No, too disjointed, I am not good at that.

But at work I am a project manager. I have many projects going at once, at different phases of completion, different teams of people working on them, in addition to my own projects.

I am good at staying focused on certain tasks, while being continuously interrupted by phone calls, emails, questions and urgent matters.

Being detail oriented, while concurrently “multitasking” is critical for my success.

I have noticed some have difficulty with the type of work I do, while I wouldnÂ’t want to stay as singularly focused on a certain aspect of the project like some people are able to.

• Like 1
Wallysbears

I'm excellent at multitasking. But I also am really good at prioritizing. And I can have the attention span of a goldfish at times.

So, I'll set a list of priorities for the day to accomplish. And then divide my day into segments so I give direct focus to one activity/accomplishment at a time...unless something else (phone call, kid, pet, etc) priority pops up in the midst of that focus.

But I can also take a conference call for work while making dinner, changing out laundry, etc.

I think women tend to be better at this then men though, especially those of us with families...because we HAVE to.

My husband is the king of checking one thing off his list at a time. It sometimes drives me crazy his singular focus...because if he's on the phone with a client, he truly cannot be interrupted by our son, me asking a question, etc. or he can get distracted and lose a train of thought.

As a Mom, I can't even pee uninterupted on most days...

• Like 1
RecentChange
I'm excellent at multitasking. But I also am really good at prioritizing.

At work I say “I am triaging”

It’s a constant prioritizing. Sometimes a difficult task DOES need my undivided attention- and I often set calendar reminders to work on it, and only allow myself to be interrupted by the most urgen of matters while focused on it.

Other times “I am spinning plates” - doing multiple things at once that usually need a lighter touch. A quick follow up, some redline comments, little things that do not require my full attention.

When it comes to managing others work loads - there are certain people who seem to get very focused, which is great at attending to high detail matters, but it’s as if they get stuck. When I say “I know you are working on X, but I need you to turn your attention and quickly reply to Y” some are able to do that fluidly, while others seem to get discombobulated. They have a hard time stopping, and then jumping right back into a train of thought.

The dog chasing a cat then getting distracted by a squirrel example.

A successful multi-taster could quickly catch the squirrel and then refocus and get back on the trail of the cat.

Or perhaps realize that the squirrel was an easier catch and prioritize their focus on a more obtainable goal.

If catching neither is the result, that’s not multitasking, that’s completely losing focus.

It's not a craze. It's a term invented to describe the way some people manage their time. I can talk on the phone, put out the garbage, cook dinner and care for children all at the same time. If I couldn't do it, the house will go to hell in a handcart.

todreaminblue

i fail at multi tasking...it makes me anxious.....so i fail.....i prefer to focus on one thing at a time....i stress out multitasking...i get sick...and i dont end up completing anything i am meant to do....one thing at a time... one step at a time....its the only way it works for me....makes me slower than everybody else....probably a hindrance...but when i do complete a task....i like it as close to perfect as i can get it...deb