bathtub-row

So, what’s the deal lately with doctors prescribing or using steroids for things like bronchitis and sinus infections? I don’t know much about them but tend to shy away. Your thoughts?

CautiouslyOptimistic

I wasn't aware this was happening, but I guess if a cough from bronchitis sticks around long enough Prednisone maybe helps shrink inflamed bronchial passages and stop the coughing?

if a cough from bronchitis sticks around long enough Prednisone maybe helps shrink inflamed bronchial passages and stop the coughing?

Exactly. Steroids help with the inflammation, though the effectiveness of their use in treating bronchitis is open to discussion...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
bathtub-row

I see. I knew they help inflammation but I’m really just wondering why all of a sudden there’s this push to use them. Granted, I don’t get sick very often but the last couple of times I’ve been to the dr, they prescribed steroids. It seems to be a new thing.

• Like 1

The place where steroids are unquestionably useful are in cases of asthma exacerbation or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, because part of the disease pathology is inappropriate inflammation/ mucosal edema. In pure infection on the other hand, the uses of steroids are more subtle. In infection so severe that your patient is on death's door, you commonly give steroids to assist in case the patient is dying partially due to adrenal insufficiency. In most infections, it's not helpful in getting the infection better. In real life clinical practice though, it is sometimes difficult to completely separate inflammation from COPD. Most people however do not require the formal testing to totally distinguish between the two in order to get better.

Statistically, can you skip on the steroid and not take it? Probably so if you don't have asthma or COPD.

Are you talking about oral corticosteroids or the nasal spray?

The nasal spray just reduces inflammation and frees up the passageway. Systemic absorption is low so there's really nothing much to worry about. It won't affect anything besides your airway as long as you take it as instructed and don't exceed the dose/frequency/length.

Oral corticosteroids which actually have systemic effect would be a very surprising prescription for bronchitis.

Steroid nasal spray is the best thing ever to help with hay fever....or random stuffy nose. (Doesn't work for a virus though) If you get in early and start using it before the hay fever kicks off, it's far better than antihistamines.

• Author
bathtub-row

Recently, I had a sinus infection - no cough - and the dr prescribed antibiotics and a shot with steroids. In general, I hear about them a lot. Just wondering why the sudden use of them for just about everything, it seems. Granted, I may be out of the loop because I go to the dr about once a decade.

I think everyone has cleared it up - they seem to help inflammation. Thanks!

Recently, I had a sinus infection - no cough - and the dr prescribed antibiotics and a shot with steroids. In general, I hear about them a lot. Just wondering why the sudden use of them for just about everything, it seems. Granted, I may be out of the loop because I go to the dr about once a decade.

I think everyone has cleared it up - they seem to help inflammation. Thanks!

A "shot", like, an injection?

That is actually somewhat strange for a sinus infection.

It's just a short course and can certainly help get rid of a stubborn infection, together with any needed antibiotics. You should never save and take them on your own, however, because they must be used for specific types. If you use them for the wrong time infection, they can actually boost the infection! They'll make you feel better faster.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
A "shot", like, an injection?

That is actually somewhat strange for a sinus infection.

Yes, an injection. I opted out of it, though.