LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Was it it a bad idea to take a job that only lasts a month in this case?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2019, 4:48 PM   #16
Established Member

Oh yeah, but even if they pay me, it's still low pay compared to having to take to resign from a regular job, each time a film project comes up.
ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 8:31 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercolors View Post
Who cares what anyone else thinks. One month could be the month that changes your life's trajectory. You don't know that it won't lead anywhere, unless you take the chance.

The film industry is 99% about who you know btw
I concur! The only thing i know of the film industry is that people quite often form networks or cliques (teams, if you will). What Watercolours says is right, you need to use this opportunity to get on the good side of others (otherwise known as hustle!).

Take part time and casual jobs on the side in hospitality. There's always lots of evening and weekend work in food and alc. If you really want something bad enough (the film industry), you will follow it to the end of the earth. If you fail, you'll only have yourself to blame for not taking the opportunities.
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 8:49 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. I guess I feel that people's advice to tell me it's foolish, or idiotic, makes me feel like an idiot, cause when I quit jobs to do this in the past, the movie shoots got cancelled and it was all for nothing. So I feel like an idiot for keep on trying sometimes.
One day hopefully you'll be big enough to dictate your own terms and conditions. I'm sure all big players have air-tight contracts that have a cancellation fee policy.

When i started out in a creative industry over twenty years ago now, i had all sorts of cancellations and disappointments in the beginning, including turning up with my equipment only to have people reneg at the last minute. I took scraps and any opportunity i could. I used EVERY opportunity to network and line up my next project (i was shameless about a lot of the things i did). Sure enough, after about two-three years, i started getting major regular work, which laid the foundations for what was later for me to become a VERY well known person in my industry, and eventually naming my price etc. It was a weird feeling, but one that i totally earned (i guess, looking back on it). I also did schleppy jobs on the side, while i was involved in the industry and in the times between gigs (although i did manage to exclusively off my creative pursuits for quite a few years).

Anyway, that was all in the past. I look back on it and regard the path i took as an achievement. I had set a very clear goal about my objectives and achieved them ten times over.

So yeah, if you are really focused, you can achieve things. The characteristics i had back then were: single-mindedness, great perseverence, persisence, a certain amount of ruthlessness (was not afraid to take somebody else's gig out of their hands; not afraid to put myself in front of the right people), great energy and i was a bit of a charmer! In that i mean, generally fun to be around, knew when to open my mouth and when to remain quiet, and always being positive about other people's (the hirers) projects.

Last edited by Soak; 29th March 2019 at 8:51 PM..
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 3:39 AM   #19
Established Member

Oh okay thanks. It's just I feel so discouraged and lost, cause I keep going from dead end job to dead end job, mostly doing factory or labor jobs, but I never liked any of them. How do you know what you are good at? I tried pursuing my dream of wanting to be a film director, but not sure if that is going to go anywhere successful really.

I feel compelled to go back to physical labor work, but it's low paying and I want to find something that I actually like that would pay better. I took some tests at this place, that tries to determine what job is good for you a few years back and I got private investigator, but don't know if I see myself doing that.

I even talked to a former one I know, and he said that it's only good for part time, but not full time.

What do you think, or how do you know what you want to do for a career?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:56 PM   #20
Established Member

What you want to do for a career and what you should do for a career are often two different things.

I would suggest figuring out what you want to do with your life first. If it's creating movies and you can't break into commercial film work full-time time then pick a career that can support that in some way. Maybe one that pays you enough money to fund short film productions you can put on YouTube. Or one that gives you enough time and flexibility to continue to pursue the commercial avenue.

I never imagined I'd be doing what I'm doing now but if I can get good enough then it should give me the financial flexibility to get to the place I want to be in my life.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 4:12 AM   #21
Established Member

Okay thanks. Well I've been working on other people's movies so far, but I always have to quit my job to do it, cause an employer is not going to be okay if you take off for a month or more, to help make a movie.

I was told it looks bad to keep getting new jobs, and then quit whenever a movie deal arises, that I can be a part of, but I don't know how other aspiring filmmakers do it, and keep a job at the same time though.
Old 16th April 2019, 9:42 AM   #22
Established Member

Have you thought about driving for Uber or delivering packages for Amazon? You won't get rich doing that but it might let you squeak by with the flexibility to take a film job if needed. If that's what you really want to do.

I just want to be on a beach somewhere with my wife and have the flexibility to travel together occasionally. To make the most of the time we have together here on Earth. Which means whoever wants to offer me the most money gets me to show up.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote