LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Man Scents and Fragrances

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2019, 12:13 AM   #1
Established Member

Man Scents and Fragrances

Hi all! I'm looking for input on a topic I have yet to see covered here: scents and fragrances for men. What would you recommend to smell good for your woman?

To provide some detail, I have never looked into products just for their scent. Perhaps three times over a five month period, my GF has said I smell good. Each time I had extra time before we met, and washed my face in the middle of the day, and reapplied deodorant. She has also asked me, perhaps five or six times, how I like the smell of a new hair product she is using. So based off of this, I think scent is important to her, and I have read that women want their man to smell good. While I'm pretty OCD with personal cleanliness, I know nothing about scents. What should I be looking at? Cologne, fancy shampoo, some sort of body spray? Any guidance would be appreciated, and especially specific recommendations as to brands and product names, etc. Thank you!
shydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Established Member

This is my own opinion based on my own experiences, but body spray has too much of a boys' locker room sort of vibe.

Cologne has a bit more sophistication about it, but it's something that is a very personal choice. Think of it like clothes - you're not going to look good in every shirt you try, and scents are no different. The only way you'll find out is to try them - I'd highly recommend getting your GF's (or a trusted female friend's) opinion on each one you try.
snowboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 1:26 AM   #3
Established Member

Cologne or aftershave. And take your girlfriend shopping with you because what can smell good on one guy can smell awful on another.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 1:30 AM   #4
Established Member

I use Speed Stick (regular) deodorant, always have.

As far as cologne, I like Prism Cologne (it is the generic and much cheaper version of Polo by Ralph Lauren)

My girlfriend bought me some Eternity - Aqua (for men) by Calvin Klein for my birthday a couple years back. I save that for special occasions, but I really like it, as well.

This is just my preferences, hope it helps.
Old 8th March 2019, 2:38 AM   #5
Established Member

Whatever you do, don't use a real strong long lasting scent. There's nothing more off putting than a guy who puts too much on. It's sexier to wear a scent that she can smell when standing close to you or cuddling.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 7:47 AM   #6
Established Member

I alternate between Drakkar Noir and Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor. Strong, classic scents to be used in moderation. Tried others over the decades but these are my mainstays.
Old 8th March 2019, 8:41 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
Whatever you do, don't use a real strong long lasting scent. There's nothing more off putting than a guy who puts too much on. It's sexier to wear a scent that she can smell when standing close to you or cuddling.
This is so true!
Don't over do it.
Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Established Member

I've never been one for colognes or aftershave. Luckily for me my wife seems to like the smell of Irish Spring soap.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Established Member

I really dislike the smell of men's cologne as most men that wear it wear WAY too much of it to the point where it gives me a headache.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 10:20 AM   #10
Established Member

2 suggestions for colognes really quick:

Le Male by Jean Paul gaultier (old, but good, and all the ladies love it, myself included)

Terra Rossa by Salvatore ferragamo
Artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #11
Established Member

Oh and guys? If you are going to wear a cologne? For the love of all that is holy...do NOT layer that with a scented deodorant and/or body wash!

Please. Save the people around you from having to process a million different smells coming off your body.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 6:51 PM   #12
Established Member

Go to a department store with her or by yourself & smell 3-4 things. After that the scents will all blend together do take a break, walk around& come back if you want.

When you find something you like spray it on your wrist then smell your wrist. Fragrance interacts with everyone's body chemistry . It could smell good in the bottle but bad on you.

When you get something you like on you, buy it & wear but use it sparingly.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 12:35 AM   #13

Something that works for me is essential oils. I put tea tree oil + sandalwood extract in jojoba oil. The tea tree and sandalwood are antibacterial but don't block your pheremones like deodorants will, and the jojoba oil is to dilute them because they are very potent by themselves. You can add other essential oils to it too to tailor the fragrance to you and/or your lady's liking. It's a little hippie so it's not for everyone but women tend to dig it.

Last edited by crispytoast; 9th March 2019 at 3:14 AM..
crispytoast is offline   Reply With Quote