When people say, “I like your make-up” not “you’re pretty.”

Highroller107

Maybe I’m making a big deal about this, but a few times, people have complimented me on how great my make-up looks. They say, “your makeup looks great.” But they never tell me I’m pretty. I look like hell when I don’t wear makeup, makes me wonder if ppl think I’m just naturally ugly or something. I mean, I’ve seen hot women post pictures of themselves on social media and ppl comment how beautiful she looks, they don’t say, “her makeup looks great.” Are they giving me a backhanded compliment?

Do you normally wear makeup, or is it just an occasional thing? If it's just occasional, they are simply commenting on your makeup because it's unusual to see you wearing it.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Some people are way better at applying makeup than others, especially eye makeup. You're probably just really good at it. I'd take it as a compliment! :)

• Author
Highroller107

I don’t wear makeup on a regular basis. A few times I’ve wore makeup to work and some said how they liked my eye makeup. Also, a stranger at a gas station told me that my makeup looked beautiful. I guess I look like a monster without it on, because I don’t get the “ oh she’s pretty” comment when I don’t wear any, particularly eye makeup

Edited by Highroller107

You obviously look better with makeup, so maybe you should just wear it more often. I don't see why you're getting your hair up about it. Most people look like heck without makeup unless they're in their teens.

I mean, I’ve seen hot women post pictures of themselves on social media and ppl comment how beautiful she looks, they don’t say, “her makeup looks great.” Are they giving me a backhanded compliment?

Boy, talk about looking a gift complement in the mouth!

It's really just a more PC way of giving you positive feedback. In today's world, there are a number of situations where a comment like "you look beautiful" can get the giver in trouble...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 3
I don’t wear makeup on a regular basis. A few times I’ve wore makeup to work and some said how they liked my eye makeup. Also, a stranger at a gas station told me that my makeup looked beautiful. I guess I look like a monster without it on, because I don’t get the “ oh she’s pretty” comment when I don’t wear any, particularly eye makeup

Oh come on, outside of teens and those seeking compliments on instagram, how many women are really told "oh you're so pretty" for no reason? I don't think I've ever told a woman that she's pretty.

I agree that you're being dramatic and looking a gift horse in the mouth. I give this next advice in the nicest possible way: if you want friends and a boyfriend, you need to rise above this kind of attitude.

LivingWaterPlease

I think I get what you're saying.

Maybe try wearing it all of the time and see what happens. Since you're interested. Also, since you don't wear it much are you wearing a lot, like heavily?

I used to travel with my work. Once I was in a restaurant by myself for dinner and a woman from a nearby table approached me as her group was getting ready to leave to say, "I like your perfume." Or something like that. I could have slid under the table! That's not exactly in the same category as make up, though.

Sometime when you're wearing make up why not ask a close friend (someone you know isn't jealous!) if she thinks you're wearing too much of it.

I only wear eye make up and lipstick but I like to apply it so that no one notices it.

Don't let my post bother you, though, please! Just trying to help! At least you're getting compliments.

Less is more when it comes to makeup, maybe you are putting on too much?

Edited by alphamale
Added
GorillaTheater

Are any guys complimenting your make-up? Because that strikes me as an odd thing for a guy to say. Or notice.

Are any guys complimenting your make-up? Because that strikes me as an odd thing for a guy to say. Or notice.

indeed but if the make up is put on right it shouldn't be noticed by anyone male or female

whichwayisup

Don't rely on others to believe that you're pretty. What counts is how YOU feel you look in the mirror.

You are getting compliments, respectfully. These days many guys are gonna be careful in how they say things, so saying your make up looks great vs you look pretty still is a positive thing.

• Author
Highroller107

Only women tell me that my make-up “looks great.” However guys don’t seem to notice my makeup at all, they give the regular “you’re cute” comment. I think it might be a women only thing about the makeup comment since obviously women wear makeup and they see how others wear it. I never thought about that.

• Like 1
Only women tell me that my make-up “looks great.” However guys don’t seem to notice my makeup at all, they give the regular “you’re cute” comment. I think it might be a women only thing about the makeup comment since obviously women wear makeup and they see how others wear it. I never thought about that.

yes, us guys don't think about makeup unless its halloween

However guys don’t seem to notice my makeup at all, they give the regular “you’re cute” comment.

Hang on, so what's all this about not getting told that you're pretty? Pretty, cute...same thing.

• Like 1
Maybe I’m making a big deal about this, but a few times, people have complimented me on how great my make-up looks. They say, “your makeup looks great.” But they never tell me I’m pretty. I look like hell when I don’t wear makeup, makes me wonder if ppl think I’m just naturally ugly or something. I mean, I’ve seen hot women post pictures of themselves on social media and ppl comment how beautiful she looks, they don’t say, “her makeup looks great.” Are they giving me a backhanded compliment?

Hi Highroller107, I think it kind of depends, and doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'll give an example. I tell my GF, sister, and my son that they look great, when they do look great. With coworkers, professionals outside of work, and even random strangers, I point out specific areas that look great, such as their hair, dress, shirt, or shoes. It's a boundary thing, I think.