LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

When people say, “I like your make-up” not “you’re pretty.”

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2019, 9:17 PM   #1
Established Member

When people say, “I like your make-up” not “you’re pretty.”

Maybe I’m making a big deal about this, but a few times, people have complimented me on how great my make-up looks. They say, “your makeup looks great.” But they never tell me I’m pretty. I look like hell when I don’t wear makeup, makes me wonder if ppl think I’m just naturally ugly or something. I mean, I’ve seen hot women post pictures of themselves on social media and ppl comment how beautiful she looks, they don’t say, “her makeup looks great.” Are they giving me a backhanded compliment?
Old 5th March 2019, 9:22 PM   #2
Established Member

Do you normally wear makeup, or is it just an occasional thing? If it's just occasional, they are simply commenting on your makeup because it's unusual to see you wearing it.
Old 5th March 2019, 9:33 PM   #3
Established Member

Some people are way better at applying makeup than others, especially eye makeup. You're probably just really good at it. I'd take it as a compliment!
Old 5th March 2019, 9:39 PM   #4
Established Member

I don’t wear makeup on a regular basis. A few times I’ve wore makeup to work and some said how they liked my eye makeup. Also, a stranger at a gas station told me that my makeup looked beautiful. I guess I look like a monster without it on, because I don’t get the “ oh she’s pretty” comment when I don’t wear any, particularly eye makeup

Last edited by Highroller107; 5th March 2019 at 9:44 PM..
Old 5th March 2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Established Member

you don't look like a "monster" highroller107. don't be so dramatic

- The Eagles
Old 5th March 2019, 10:25 PM   #6
Established Member

You obviously look better with makeup, so maybe you should just wear it more often. I don't see why you're getting your hair up about it. Most people look like heck without makeup unless they're in their teens.
Old 6th March 2019, 3:38 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller107 View Post
I mean, I’ve seen hot women post pictures of themselves on social media and ppl comment how beautiful she looks, they don’t say, “her makeup looks great.” Are they giving me a backhanded compliment?
Boy, talk about looking a gift complement in the mouth!

It's really just a more PC way of giving you positive feedback. In today's world, there are a number of situations where a comment like "you look beautiful" can get the giver in trouble...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 6th March 2019, 5:40 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller107 View Post
I don’t wear makeup on a regular basis. A few times I’ve wore makeup to work and some said how they liked my eye makeup. Also, a stranger at a gas station told me that my makeup looked beautiful. I guess I look like a monster without it on, because I don’t get the “ oh she’s pretty” comment when I don’t wear any, particularly eye makeup
Oh come on, outside of teens and those seeking compliments on instagram, how many women are really told "oh you're so pretty" for no reason? I don't think I've ever told a woman that she's pretty.

I agree that you're being dramatic and looking a gift horse in the mouth. I give this next advice in the nicest possible way: if you want friends and a boyfriend, you need to rise above this kind of attitude.
Old 6th March 2019, 5:42 PM   #9
Established Member

They probably mean that you do a really good job in the way you put your make-up on.
Old 6th March 2019, 5:57 PM   #10
Established Member

I think I get what you're saying.

Maybe try wearing it all of the time and see what happens. Since you're interested. Also, since you don't wear it much are you wearing a lot, like heavily?

I used to travel with my work. Once I was in a restaurant by myself for dinner and a woman from a nearby table approached me as her group was getting ready to leave to say, "I like your perfume." Or something like that. I could have slid under the table! That's not exactly in the same category as make up, though.

Sometime when you're wearing make up why not ask a close friend (someone you know isn't jealous!) if she thinks you're wearing too much of it.

I only wear eye make up and lipstick but I like to apply it so that no one notices it.

Don't let my post bother you, though, please! Just trying to help! At least you're getting compliments.
Old 6th March 2019, 6:46 PM   #11
Established Member

Less is more when it comes to makeup, maybe you are putting on too much?

Last edited by alphamale; 6th March 2019 at 6:47 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 6th March 2019, 6:53 PM   #12
Established Member

Are any guys complimenting your make-up? Because that strikes me as an odd thing for a guy to say. Or notice.
Old 6th March 2019, 7:57 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
Are any guys complimenting your make-up? Because that strikes me as an odd thing for a guy to say. Or notice.
indeed but if the make up is put on right it shouldn't be noticed by anyone male or female
Old 7th March 2019, 11:58 AM   #14
Established Member

Don't rely on others to believe that you're pretty. What counts is how YOU feel you look in the mirror.

You are getting compliments, respectfully. These days many guys are gonna be careful in how they say things, so saying your make up looks great vs you look pretty still is a positive thing.
Old 7th March 2019, 2:19 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
Only women tell me that my make-up “looks great.” However guys don’t seem to notice my makeup at all, they give the regular “you’re cute” comment. I think it might be a women only thing about the makeup comment since obviously women wear makeup and they see how others wear it. I never thought about that.