Want to Be Happy? Quit Social Media

So over the past couple of weeks, I've quit the cesspool known as Twitter as well as stopped going to the Misc. Forum. The only social media I have is LinkedIn and I try to avoid it like the plug, but need it for sales contacts. Feel completely rejuvenated, mind is sharp.

For Lent, I'm quitting alcohol and the internet. I haven't drank in 9 days, (which I'm sure helps the mind), anyway because I'm trying to lose 10 lbs., but not going to melt my brain on the internet unless it's for work. Email for work, research for work and Salesforce acceptable. Fox News, Daily Mail, NY Post, T-Nation, and alas this place not.

Stay present people, be mindful. Don't worry about the past, or the future.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Fix spacing
  • Like 3
CantGetEnuff

I understand the intent behind people saying/doing this, but...

studies also showed that 'leaving' makes people less informed. It's the equivalent of sticking your head in a hole. It's peaceful but you had no idea what's going on.

I guess you could subscribe to your local newspaper and read it old school.

amaysngrace

If it’s really important you’ll hear about it. If you don’t it wasn’t important enough to clutter your thoughts with.

• Like 3

Hi!

I stopped using Instagram 2 days ago. Its a bit hard. But I too have been coming back to the present moment anytime I have the impulse to open the app.

Good luck my friend!!!

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

No social media for me... never had it, never will.

As far as news, I watch my local station for about 1/2 hour in the morning (mainly for the weather & local crimes) I will watch the national stories that are on that broadcast, if they are interesting. I mute all the political stuff, I'm sick of listening to that crap.

studies also showed that 'leaving' makes people less informed. It's the equivalent of sticking your head in a hole. It's peaceful but you had no idea what's going on.

Well, but if they replace it with the right news, which is admittedly very hard to find these days, then they're actually getting better more factual news. Now, I follow directly stuff I'm interested in rather than get the news-filtered news, so yes, that's possible, but that is not what most people do. I follow local and other police so I can see the actual news conferences realtime, I follow ATF, Homeland Security, Border Patrol and ICE and FBI, and local politicians so I can see their official reports and news releases instead of the often distorted version, if any, the television and newspaper media put out on it. So yes, it's possible to get real news on social media, but actually works better if you don't go to a news outlet for it but the entity itself.

Even the Washington Post proved itself trigger happy and unjournalistic last month. No one is 100 percent journalistic news anymore that I can tell.

• Like 1
  • Author

You're missing the point, it's an information fast. I want to be less informed. Kick it back to 1992 pre world wide web. Too much information and a lot of it wrong on the internet.

Sports, TV shows in, Political stuff out.

Thanks for the well wishes friends!

Catch You on the flip Side

• Like 2
crispytoast
ATF, Homeland Security, Border Patrol and ICE and FBI, and local politicians
I hate to break it to you preraph but all of these sources will lie to you like hell if they feel like it will benefit them. They tell you what they think you need to hear in order for them to accomplish their agenda.
Kick it back to 1992 pre world wide web. Too much information and a lot of it wrong on the internet. e

Hehe, love it! I don't do facebook and the only reason i use insta is for business interests.

I like forums as i find people are more honest, due to the anonymity.

I would almost love to live on a big piece of land, away from most humans.

• Like 3
You're missing the point, it's an information fast. I want to be less informed. Kick it back to 1992 pre world wide web. Too much information and a lot of it wrong on the internet.

The real floodgates opened when smartphones hit the scene in 2007. Now the information chases you down.

It's a constant topic of discussion in my house as to whether technology has truly made our lives better. Perhaps the jury is still out...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
You mean anti-social media?

If it wasn't for FB, I wouldn't know half of the events going on around me. As it is, I have to choose between a gig and a club on Saturday night - both of which advertised only on FB. I also connect with many people who share an obscure hobby with me.

Rather than deplete my social life, FB enhances it considerably. Perhaps you just don't follow the right things.

LivingWaterPlease

Am on social media for business purposes only and won't use it with smartphone so as to keep usage down.

Don't do LS on phone, either.

I do check smart phone for news sometimes but stay off the phone when with family and friends.

Haven't found smart phone or social media interferes with social life off line.

• 4 weeks later...
TintedChrome

I have a Facebook page just for keeping contact with relatives and old friends. I have a LinkedIn page only because some friends insisted it helps if you're looking for a job. Otherwise I ignore it. I don't do twitter or other crap. I read a daily local paper and hear news on the car radio. That's all the information overload I need.

an information fast

I was reading about the frontal cortex recently (of the brain) in relation to dementia, and some interesting facts came out of the exercise, namely that it is healthy to limit the amount of information that is processed by the brain. To be selective if you will. This plays in with limiting exposure to social media, but for people like me (who could be on the spectrum), it is especially important to minimise the amount of visual and / or auditory stimuli.

It wouldn't even surprise me if depression were related to over or under use of the frontal cortex, or overuse of the brain in general.

According to the reading, underuse of the frontal cortex could have something to do with certain types of dementia. That's why they say 'use it, don't lose it'! That's why they say crossword and Sudoku puzzles are great for the brain.

RecentChange

Uff, I don’t think I could ever do Twitter - it is a cesspool.

For the most part I avoid reading any “comments sections” and interacting with the general public online in any way. The stupid is just way too prevalent and it makes me lose any hope for humanity.

I do love my Facebook though. I limit my friends list to people I know in real life. Friends, family, fellow equestrians that I ride with, a few community action groups. Without Facebook I would miss out on indie concerts I love, I would miss out on clothing drives and other homeless out reach programs I am active in. My family even uses it to organize get togethers. It helps me stay in touch with old friends etc. For me I really see it as a net positive and enjoy its usefulness.

For news I tend to instead source mostly through local, non profit or international outlets, sometimes through FB but often direct websites.

I have no hate for “social media” like many things, it depends on how you, as a user interface with it, and what you expect to get out of it.