LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Style or comfort?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2019, 9:43 AM   #16
Established Member

Very interesting to read the replies. Seems like prevalent preference is for comfort or combination comfort/looks (who doesn’t like that combination lol, if possible).

As I expected the people diverging from this are mainly women, usually older (30+) women.

TBH style can be interpreted in different ways, eg athleisure or sneaker type shoes I consider purely comfort choice, and high heels - purely for form, some may think differently.
LastStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:01 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Very interesting to read the replies. Seems like prevalent preference is for comfort or combination comfort/looks (who doesn’t like that combination lol, if possible).

As I expected the people diverging from this are mainly women, usually older (30+) women.

TBH style can be interpreted in different ways, eg athleisure or sneaker type shoes I consider purely comfort choice, and high heels - purely for form, some may think differently.

I guess my thoughts on high heels are - why would I wear something that takes twice as long to get anywhere, and causes all sorts of harmful strain to my feet, knees, and back... just so that other people get something nice to look at? I'm not that altruistic.
Old 23rd February 2019, 9:51 PM   #18
Established Member

I dress for a combination of style, comfort, function, and appropriateness. Which means that I end up searching for clothes that work or make my own, as my needs differ from those of other women.
For shoes, I ended up going with black leather zip-up Airborne-style combat boots. Seriously. Good traction, good support for my weak ankles, and great to kick people with if needed. And they polish to a lovely shine.

For shirts, I usually wear T-shirts or simple work shirts with pockets. Dickies has a line of female work shirts that fit me pretty well, and in the subdued colors I prefer. I usually have a lightweight jacket on. I wear a lot of black, khaki, blue, gray, green, etc... I will wear a better quality shirt when I go to work at the office, or a wool jacket that I like.

I hate Hate HATE women's pants. No pockets that work, and no belt loops big enough for a good belt. So I usually buy men's jeans and if I'm lucky I find a size that fit, or I modify them at home. I've become pretty good with a sewing machine over the years, so it is minimal trouble for me to get what I want.
Most women's clothing is poor quality, thin fabric, too revealing, and not suitable for carrying a gun, a wallet, or really anything else. Society expects you to carry a purse....and I don't. Pockets shouldn't just be a privilege for men.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:26 AM   #19
Established Member

Both. My job allows me to wear jeans and T-shirts. But I look good in them due to interest in fitness. I buy new jeans if my size changes (has gradually gone down). Some years, when I had a potbelly, I wore dress shirts instead.

I bought sweatshirts for comfort during the winter and had them tailored so the arms wouldn't look saggy. My wife like to tease me about it: "tailored sweatshirts?"

Male, mid 40's.
mark clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 12:09 AM   #20
Established Member

Comfort all the way! If I could spend every living, breathing moment in Birkenstocks, a soft v-neck t-shirt and jeans I'd be A-OK with that!
melonmint57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 12:14 AM   #21

Usually my crust is nice and crunchy and there's a layer of crunchiness on the bread part but the inside is soft and squishy. Style and comfort all toasted into one.

Late20sToast
Old 6th March 2019, 6:16 AM   #22
Established Member

Female, 33. Comfort.

Ideally the combination of the two, but if something feels like crap on, I'm very unlikely to wear it. I've been like this with the sensory feel of my clothes since I was a kid.
healing light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 7:29 AM   #23
Established Member

Comfort to me on day to day:

Well fitting, some stretch, dress slacks, pencil skirts/dresses or office appropriate jeans in a dark wash. Flats or wedge heels dress shoes or my boots I ordered from Europe to have the appropriate calf fit. Tunic, shell/cardigan or sweater (colder months), or appropriate top (I keep black, khaki and navy blazers in my office if needed for an unexpected client meeting)

I also have several pairs of actual heels that are 8+ hour comfortable - medium heel, nice footbed...but not cheap so I don’t expect most people to wear that type.

Comfort doesn’t mean sloppy. It means investing in better quality items that you can wear without regret and mix and match with other items.

Non-work...I love my casual yoga wear type clothes.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 10:59 AM   #24
Established Member

Almost 40F. Comfort then style; they’re not mutually exclusive.

I agree comfort has more to do with quality than style.

Also, if one has a fit body, wearing yoga pant and a fit t-shirt or top can look very cute

I wear heels sometimes but never those stilettos, as the latter are bad for our body.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 1:34 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
What is more important to you when you choose clothes and accessories - how they look or how they feel?
How they look is more important (MUCH more important). This is a recent change for me, which I've embraced. I'm in my early 40s. In my teens, 20s, and 30s, I wore comfortable, but dumpy looking clothes.

One thought that may have been overlooked in this thread is how you feel when you look good. I find that the nicer I dress, the better I feel. A leather jacket will not be as comfortable as a loose sweatshirt, but I will feel better wearing it. So there is physical comfort, and there is psychological comfort. I'm assuming we're talking about what we wear when we go outside. Inside the house I wear what is most comfortable, as I'm sure everyone does.
shydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 7:23 AM   #26

Lol when people say quality equals comfort I always think of louboutin shoes - 10 on quality and 1 on comfort..
One2Three is offline   Reply With Quote