LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Karma.

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2019, 10:39 PM   #16
Established Member

I don't believe in karma. I absolutely reject the concept of past lives, and I mostly reject the idea of intentionally being a good person. I've obeserved that good people frequently get bad luck, and that bad people frequently succeed. In fact, bad people succeeding seems to happen more often than good people succeeding. So, my attitude is that I do what I need to do in order to succeed. If that means I do some bad things along the way, it is just part of living and working for #1.

For what its worth, I tend to think that there is a genetic component to memory, which might explain some of peoples' experiences of figuring out their "past lives."
Old 28th January 2019, 3:20 AM   #17
Established Member

Past lives are a joke imo and basically impossible. But l'm damned if l can figure out why l'm the only person l've ever seen, in anything, ever, anywhere, that has pointed this out.

There's nearly 7billion in the world now yet 50yrs ago probably only half that, no idea on the number and that doesn't even matter.
500yrs ago a fraction of that again.
So unless souls breed or somehow multiply as we die and one turns into two, or 3, each time, past lives are technically an impossibility.
chillii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 3:40 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillii View Post
Past lives are a joke imo and basically impossible. But l'm damned if l can figure out why l'm the only person l've ever seen, in anything, ever, anywhere, that has pointed this out.

There's nearly 7billion in the world now yet 50yrs ago probably only half that, no idea on the number and that doesn't even matter.
500yrs ago a fraction of that again.
So unless souls breed or somehow multiply as we die and one turns into two, or 3, each time, past lives are technically an impossibility.
I am not trying to persuade or advocate it, but I thought that I should point out that your argument only makes sense if you limit the soul count strictly to human souls and strictly to those of this planet. However, it should also be noted that none of the spiritual beliefs/practices that includes karma believes that only humans have souls.

All living things have souls, according to many spiritual practices/beliefs. In Buddhism, one's soul can actually fall into one of six realms of reincarnation depending on the culmination of their karma: gods, demons, humans, animals, ghosts, and the realm of hell. The one to note in particular for the sake of argument (and simplicity) is the animal realm, which should essentially tell you that all animals have souls and can ascend to the human realm. Likewise, humans can also descend to the animal realm.

Needless to say, there are several times more animals than there are humans, so your soul count checks out. This is not even going into the migration of souls from other planets/dimensions, depending on your beliefs.

Not that I am exactly in disagreement with you strictly regarding the joke part. Even if it does exist, the only past lives that matters are the ones that you can actually remember. Else, there is just no point to bother.

Last edited by Nilfiry; 28th January 2019 at 3:42 AM..
Nilfiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 7:32 AM   #19
Established Member

Yep , l agree and have always believed animals have souls, watch nature , animals , birds, they'r just people, different to us but people of their own kind. So if we did actually reincarnate and even if some of us were animals before, or anything else then animals and anything else do too.

The principles the same , there's still not enough souls to go around.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:27 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillii View Post
Yep , l agree and have always believed animals have souls, watch nature , animals , birds, they'r just people, different to us but people of their own kind. So if we did actually reincarnate and even if some of us were animals before, or anything else then animals and anything else do too.

The principles the same , there's still not enough souls to go around.
Then the real question here is from where did all these souls come? In Christianity, they are all created by God. Unfortunately, much of Christianity does not believe in reincarnation. In Buddhism, they are all just bits and pieces of a universal consciousness. Either way, there seems to be a solution for your soul count problem in every text that supports karma.

Of course, I need to make the disclaimer that Buddhism does not actually believe in eternal souls in the sense that Christianity does. I am only use the term interchangeably for the sake of context.
Nilfiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 1:08 PM   #21
Established Member

peace I just try to treat people with kindness
Rayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 4:19 PM   #22
Established Member

Well l'd guess when we're born, or an animal , or anything else , we're born with our soul.
So yeah , there's gonna be a lot of souls up there from everything that's passed, but there still wouldn't be enough to reincarnate everyone.
Old 2nd February 2019, 2:47 PM   #23
Established Member

If karma makes you feel better, or enables you to live a more moral happier life, no harm in thinking it is true. Personally, I don't believe it. Absolutely no evidence that I know of to support it. Evidence is the most important thing to me.
LuckyM is offline   Reply With Quote