I was wondering - how do you cope with GUILT?

In this thread, I wanted to discuss some of coping mechanisms when dealing with guilt over hurting another person - could be dumping your SO, cheating on them, could be screwing over your friend or a coworker...

Like, ONE THING you regret. One person you know you did wrong, you feel guilty about and you regret doing. Not everyone manages to get a closure, forgiveness from that person or a chance to apologize - so how do you cope with the fact that you've done someone dirty without closure & being able to make it up to that person? I'm talking about situations where you need to live with yourself, knowing that you did something you maybe never thought you'd do (regardless of your intentions). Situations where you know you've put someone else through stress and pain and possibly did them great emotional damage. Let's assume they don't want to hear from you ever again - so you have no ways of contacting them, keeping up with them or apologizing them, doing something to fix the wrong. You just exist with that guilt. So how do you cope with it?

Please, share your experiences.

Edited by minimariah2

I would think the main thing is to realize no one is perfect, we all make big and small mistakes daily and we all can be hurt and hurt others in return but if your intention is not to hurt and you are not malicious or calculating in how you treat others, forgiving self is a big deal and reaching out to the one you may have hurt is the other hand that holds the self-forgiveness hand. If you know where they live a handwritten note would be a kind gesture towards healing or mending what had occurred between the two. You do not need them to answer you, maybe even say so in your note, so it doesn't look like you are wanting anything in return and then let it go.

I like the handwritten note idea sent snail mail. That is what I have done in the past. I have received these as well and been touched by the sincerity that came with it. My ex mother-in-law did not like me. I was not good enough for her son. Long story short... years later after I finished raising my 2 kids alone as a single mother out of the blue I got a card from her telling me how sorry she was for the way she treated me and thanking me for the wonderful job I did raising her grandkids. That touched me like no other apology ever has... that card has a permanent place in my bible. Yeah... I like the handwritten note idea best.

• Like 1
  • Author

But what do you do when apologizing just isn't the option?

Sending cards, contacting that person isn't the option.

So how do you deal with the guilt, when it can't be resolved through earning forgiveness from another person?

Write the note anyway and put it away somewhere in a safe place. Maybe somewhere down the road you will have an opportunity to make amends. Life gives us that sometimes.

thefooloftheyear

So how do you deal with the guilt, when it can't be resolved through earning forgiveness from another person?

"Guilt is like a bag of f***in' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down."

Quoted from a popular movie, and while it's not easy, sometimes it's necessary...Believe me, I feel your pain..

TFY

What_Did_I_Do
"Guilt is like a bag of f***in' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down."

Quoted from a popular movie, and while it's not easy, sometimes it's necessary...Believe me, I feel your pain..

TFY

What is your guilt from TFY? Very simple but powerful quote.

I had (and took) the opportunity to say "I'm sorry" directly to the people I hurt. It was the most humbling and raw human experience. But it didn't ease my pain, hope and pray it helped them though. My next step is to forgive myself. I'd rather apologize 1000 times to someone else than forgive myself. I think that's the key though...understand we are all flawed and will make tremendous mistakes through our life journey. We need to forgive ourselves. Drop that bag of bricks.

@What_Did_I_Do, at least you are penitent for what you may have done. That is a good thing in it's self. Also, if it was a mistake rather than and intentional, then that is not as bad.

I myself am awful. I don't have penitence. And you here on this thread talk about mistakes, what about intentional bad things? Does no one do that?

• Author
And you here on this thread talk about mistakes, what about intentional bad things? Does no one do that?

sure.

you've intentionally hurt someone. you did something you knew it would hurt them but you did it anyway. how do you deal with that? how do you live with knowing you might hurt someone emotionally, deeply, forever?

nobody wants to be that one person who ruined someone else's life, that one person that caused someone's trust issues - but if you are that person? how do you deal?

Life gives us that sometimes.

sometimes it doesn't. for example, when the person we've hurt passes away before we've had the chance to apologize.

then, you're left with this guilt and sorrow and how do you deal with that and how does that go away...? if it CAN go away?

I think that's the key though...understand we are all flawed and will make tremendous mistakes through our life journey. We need to forgive ourselves. Drop that bag of bricks.

but HOW?

sometimes it doesn't. for example, when the person we've hurt passes away before we've had the chance to apologize.

then, you're left with this guilt and sorrow and how do you deal with that and how does that go away...? if it CAN go away?

If the person I have hurt has passed away before I had the chance to apologize then I would have a conversation with God asking him for forgiveness and how I can repent and learn from this experience. Through prayer and honestly looking at myself I am directed to do something to improve myself so I won't repeat that behavior in the future. I might even feel an urge to take on a cause in their name. I might still write that letter which represents my attempt to apologize. Writing is a good way to get things out and a good way to talk with God too. I have been having an on going conversation with God since I was ten years old so I know he provides me with the direction I need. I count on it. I call it Faith

Edited by Rayce

Even if I didn't believe in God I would still do self reflection and see where I might improve myself so I won't repeat that behavior in the future. I might even feel an urge to take on a cause in their name. I would still write that letter which represents my attempt to apologize. Writing is a good way to get things out.

Even if they are still contactable, it doesn't mean they will give forgiveness.

Perhaps the moving on comes from treating the issue as a learning experience and vowing to never do it again.

Guessing this is somebody you knew very well, if it's eating away at you like this. If contacting them isn't an option, why not think of a charity or cause close to their heart and donate something to it? Or make some other gesture that you know this person would value and be proud of you for making?

• Author
If contacting them isn't an option, why not think of a charity or cause close to their heart and donate something to it?

Perhaps the moving on comes from treating the issue as a learning experience and vowing to never do it again.

valid points. but - if one decides to do better in future, give back to the community, charity... they are making themselves feel better... about themselves but that doesn't really do much for the person they've hurt.

seems like trying to put a bandage on a gun shot wound.

but - if one decides to do better in future, give back to the community, charity... they are making themselves feel better... about themselves

but that doesn't really do much for the person they've hurt.

minimariah2,

What you seem not to be taking into account is the other person's power and ability to heal, forgive and get over whatever you did, entirely on his or her own,

possibly with therapy but without anything further from you.

That is, ultimately people are responsible for their own mental-emotional-spiritual health and well-being, and they have the means to attain and maintain it whenever they decide and choose;

they don't depend on or need us for it.

Similarly, fretting about this is hurting your own mental-emotional well-being, and you also have the power and ability to heal, forgive yourself and get over it.

It's not about the other person, at this point.

Wishing you the best.

• Like 1

To me forgiveness , even payback , still can't relieve the guilt.

lt might be a bag of bricks ha, l love that one.

But that doesn't make it any easier to set it down.

l just hope guilts don't come with us into afterlife too, if there is one.