want books for mental illness

I am wanting to read some books on mental illness and wondering what are some good better books to try to find. I want it to cover depression and anything else. Thanks

Maybe you could specify what problems you are wanting to address. If you live near a public library there will be a lot to choose from.

depression and anything else is a broad brush.

Jamison, Kay Redfield (1993), Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament,

Yeah, I posted a link to the DSM because I found it an excellent resource when caregiving, even though I had a full brain team engaged. It made deciphering their lingo easier as well as gave insight into behaviors I was observing and dealing with. The copy I bought cost about the price of one therapy session when we were in MC. Great investment IMO.

• Author
Maybe you could specify what problems you are wanting to address. If you live near a public library there will be a lot to choose from.

depression and anything else is a broad brush.

I have been sad for i say years and envy of people having things that i dont(not sure if this is a mental illness). I have been really sad down this weekend and yesterday i felt like crying and did cry. I am going to write the way i feel down and want to read about different illnesses and see a doctor if i can

Sadness even long term sadness is not necessarily depression which is a medical diagnosis. You wouldn't try to treat yourself if you hand cancer or a broken leg, so don't try to self heal with this either. Definitely do not read the DSM-V. That book is written for professionals. Do seek out real care. Meanwhile, self care -- treat yourself kindly.

Yeah, I posted a link to the DSM because I found it an excellent resource when caregiving, even though I had a full brain team engaged. It made deciphering their lingo easier as well as gave insight into behaviors I was observing and dealing with. The copy I bought cost about the price of one therapy session when we were in MC. Great investment IMO.

I mean, it's THE resource for practitioners, but for a layman with no understanding of the terminology, it may mean something totally different. Like if a layman was reading about "antisocial," they might assume it meant doesn't like to socialize instead of sociopath.

I agree with Donnivain that some sappy stuff out there may cause more harm than good, which is why I went with Psychology Today's list, because they'd have vetted those.

How I handled things was similar to how I handled the Merck Manual and Physician's handbook when I was ten, I asked questions from knowledgeable persons. The brain team was more than happy to answer questions and appreciated an engaged advocate. I also took psychology courses when in college so had a basic understanding.

However, as others have pointed out and I shared in my post, professionals are a great source of advice and assistance. Our MC is a clinical psychologist and I interfaced with everything from neurologists to psychiatrists to neuropsychometrists as a caregiver. Pros definitely have their place.