How Do I Control My Gluttonous Tendencies?

I have this problem where I can't help but buy food. I'm currently 24 and I've been out of shape basically my entire life because I often waste my money on food and snacks. I'm trying to save for a guitar, but every now and then, I keep spending on food even when I'm not that hungry which pulls farther and farther away from the guitar.

Did anyone have this problem? How do I get rid of it or control it?

Happy Lemming

Personally, I make a budget. I spend my entire monthly income on a spreadsheet before the month starts. Included in that is 20% for long term savings (rainy day) and a percentage for big ticket items I want/need. This year I needed to update my old computer and I treated myself to a new bicycle. I budgeted the money carefully (put the funds in a separate bank account) and purchased said items with the money I saved up. You do have to stay disciplined about your budget, don't cheat!!

Make a budget and stick to it. How much do you need for the guitar?? How quickly do you want it?? Is it a nice PRS (Paul Reed Smith) guitar?? I met Paul many years ago. Take the cost of the guitar divided by the amount you can save and that will tell you how many months you need to save to get your guitar. Then you can ROCK ON!!

As for getting back in shape, start slow (a short walk in the morning) and build up from there. Don't eat junk, eat healthy veggies, etc. As always, check with a doctor before starting a diet/exercise program. If you expend more calories than you take in, you will lose weight and get in shape.

Get a gym membership and make a schedule that's manageable. I use a gym that allows you to schedule your classes 2 weeks in advance. If you don't cancel, you are penalized $12 which is good motivation not to sleep in the morning of a scheduled class that you fully intended to go to the night before.

Once you start exercising you realize that bag of chips just neutralized 45 minutes worth of a hard sweaty workout and you tend to avoid those types of things more and more.

At least I do.

No matter what you do it's going to take some self discipline and restraint. Don't wait until the adverse health effects of obesity start to affect you, some are not reversible.

Try using a calorie tracker to record what you eat. When you see high numbers hopefully that will wake you up to exhibit more self control.

Also set out a savings goal for the guitar. Write down how much it costs & how much you have to save for it per week. Then every time you are tempted to buy a snack say to yourself that's more time until you get the guitar.

Try paying in cash for everything. People spend less when it's cash then with a card, even a debit card. the card is too easy & you don't really see the dwindling funds.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Try paying in cash for everything. People spend less when it's cash then with a card, even a debit card. the card is too easy & you don't really see the dwindling funds.

^^^^This!!

Also put a picture of the guitar (you want) in your wallet. If you go to buy some snack or junk food, you'll see the picture & be reminded of your goal to get that guitar!!

• Like 1

Also think about the girl you have a crush on, from your other thread. You will need more money to date her. Factor that into your budgeting & spending.

• Like 1
Also think about the girl you have a crush on, from your other thread. You will need more money to date her. Factor that into your budgeting & spending.

Great ideas. I also ask "how will I feel about myself after eating this?" and actually try to picture that reaction in my head. You learn to give yourself a little emotional reward, a mental pat on the back, for eating the right thing...

Mr. Lucky

It's hard to say whether or not this is a problem without more information. It's normal to have snacks now and then. It only becomes a problem when you are overeating and find yourself overweight.

So, first of all, define "out of shape". Are we talking unfit or morbidly obese?

You can't afford a guitar because of snacking. Just how much money are you spending on snacks?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying that all the advice given here is bad but my mother had the same issue. When she cooked, she made too much food and she is overweight. Instead of trying to make it harder for him to buy food (which is good partially) it would be better if he starts doing therapy in order to stop having those cravings. Food is replacing something, what is it?

My mother went from 220,462 pounds to 176,37 after starting therapy and nutritionist.

Try to ask yourself if you are a stress eater. Do you eat when something goes wrong? Or when you feel sad?

Also think about the girl you have a crush on, from your other thread.

This was and is a big motivator for me to stay fit. I'm already outclassed in the looks dept standing next to my wife. It's also true for me to watch the calorie burned counter on the tread mill, it resisters in my head that eating a donut is way not worth the work it takes to burn it back off. Everyone in my direct family is morbidly obese for nothing more than a poor diet. I just don't like the look and feel of myself being heavy.

This is psychological... What do you feel is missing from your life? Do you eat when feeling down? When bored? When watching films? Do you eat mindlessly?

Shop with a list. This is more than half the battle! I have a similar problem and I've found out that drinking sparkling water helps a lot when I feel like eating when not hungry.. At least water is not as expensive and it's good for you!