Second-guessing myself

MajesticUnicorn

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the best category to post in, but it felt the most fitting. I’m just having a lot of doubts about where I am in life and the decisions I have made.

If you have followed my posts at all, you will know that about a year ago I moved across the country to the mountains without a job. Shortly after the move, I got what I believe to be my “dream job.”

Things, for the most part, have been great. I love my job and my coworkers are like family, I have a boyfriend of a few months now that I can see a future with, I love the lifestyle that living in the mountains gives me.

The one thing that is missing is my family. I am so close with them, that it’s really been a challenge for me living so far away. I’ve lived closed to them my entire life ~23 years. I think the hardest part is being away from my parents. They just came to visit me, and now that they’ve left I feel so sad and homesick. The fact they are getting older makes it worse and makes me feel like I need to be close to them out of my fear of losing them.

Now I’m second guessing my decision to move here, and wonder if I should move back. Like I said everything else is great and I’m so happy other than this. I don’t know what to do.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Can't speak for your parents so I'll just give you my POV.

As a proud father of four, I'd be angry and sad if one of them abandoned their "dream job", satisfying lifestyle and a potentially significant relationship just to move back to be near me. I want them to live their life with all that means, free to pursue their dreams. Wouldn't surprise me if your parents felt the same way.

Are your folks tech savvy? Between social media, facetime, skype, email and text I'm able to have lots on contact and conversation with each child, currently spread out from California to China. And air travel is cheap, so I get to see each of them regularly.

Follow your own path, the ability to do so is the greatest gift a parent can give their kids...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

As a proud father of four, I'd be angry and sad if one of them abandoned their "dream job", satisfying lifestyle and a potentially significant relationship just to move back to be near me. I want them to live their life with all that means, free to pursue their dreams. Wouldn't surprise me if your parents felt the same way.

Follow your own path, the ability to do so is the greatest gift a parent can give their kids...

Mr. Lucky

This really warms my heart.

I have no doubt that my parents would feel the same way. I would still have a very difficult time moving away from them...

Now I’m second guessing my decision to move here, and wonder if I should move back. Like I said everything else is great and I’m so happy other than this.

What Mr. Lucky said.

I would add that there's no need to second-guess your prior decision - lots positive for you seems to have come out of it, so it must have been a constructive/appropriate decision for that time.

For the new decision that you are facing, whether or not to move back (which is not actually a reversal of your first decision, but is now based on the current age of your parents, etc.),

again, I would encourage you to consider what Mr. Lucky said.