Self esteem peaks at age 60

Self-esteem first begins to rise between ages 4 and 11, as children develop socially and cognitively and gain some sense of independence. Levels then seem to plateau — but not decline — as the teenage years begin from ages 11 to 15, the data show.

That’s somewhat surprising, given that many people — scientists and otherwise — assume that self-esteem takes a hit during the traditionally awkward early teenage years, “possibly because of pubertal changes and increased emphasis on social comparison at school,” Orth says. “However, our findings show that this is not the case.”

Instead, self-esteem appears to hold steady until mid-adolescence. After that lull, Orth says, self-esteem seems to increase substantially until age 30, then more gradually throughout middle adulthood, before peaking around age 60 and remaining stable until age 70.

• Like 2
Fearless Motivation

you know what, this is actually quite interesting!

At first I wanted to make a bunch of jokes about noisy elders annoying people with their political views but... :D

I was imagining myself at that age, knowing I will not be strong any more, my knowledge and intelligence will not much rise (rather decline because of old body) and basically, death is what awaits me in couple of years. There are not many possibilities I have in front of myself in order to make some meaning in my life. Meaning I had good, fulfilling life or I am going to terribly suffer...

hmm... I would like to know how real elders see this and if they think of their life and judge it critically... if they are reflecting on what was their benefit they brought to this world and how do they feel about it...

hmm...

• Author

yes FM, its interesting isn't it, I would have never thought that self esteem peaks late in life, I would have thought more around 40 years old or so

Fearless Motivation
yes FM, its interesting isn't it, I would have never thought that self esteem peaks late in life, I would have thought more around 40 years old or so

of course, this is all just a BS, it is individual: for some it is in their 20s, for other 30's... depends...

what you posted was rather funny article ;)

• Author

it's fascinating that self-esteem rises slowly as you age, I would have thought it falls as you age...

• Author
Uhm, how do you define and measure self esteem though?

you take a test, just like the test for depression or pain

hmm... I would like to know how real elders see this and if they think of their life and judge it critically... if they are reflecting on what was their benefit they brought to this world and how do they feel about it...

OMG I'm pushing 60 and the main thing I'm feeling is EXHAUSTED. What a ride!!!!!! Also thankful (and a little amazed) just to still BE here, alive & kicking. Every day is another chance to "make it right", learn a little more about loving people WELL. No idea if I've "brought benefit to the world." All I can do is keep on going, and try my best to make the right decisions, and know I'm going to make more mistakes.

I can also tell you my self-esteem is pretty solid at this point. Way better than it was in my teens, 20's and 30's. It started rising in my 40's.

Edited by OpenBook
  • Like 1
  • Author
I can also tell you my self-esteem is pretty solid at this point. Way better than it was in my teens, 20's and 30's. It started rising in my 40's.

yeah OB, I would agree. i'm 53 and my self esteem is the highest it's ever been.

I noticed

3 weeks ago, I had this phase where I don't need to put makeup and whoever does not like me, the hell with him.

Thankfully, it was a short phase :p

My makeup is light anyway, but I love it and that's that!

I wonder how more confident I'd be if I had built some self-esteem between 4 and 11, lol. I was extremely shy as a child, all I wanted was to disappear in the crowd, if a teacher spoke to me in class it paralyzed me. I'd say my self-esteem started growing in college and I felt a big boom in my 40s.

• Author
I wonder how more confident I'd be if I had built some self-esteem between 4 and 11, lol. I was extremely shy as a child, all I wanted was to disappear in the crowd, if a teacher spoke to me in class it paralyzed me. I'd say my self-esteem started growing in college and I felt a big boom in my 40s.

that's interesting Gaeta, same thing happened to me