Is there a hope for my hair?

Substance Abusix

Guten Tag.

this might not be the best topic for this kind of forum, but I am too lazy to register on another :)

So my problem is:

I am in search of somebody who understand hair care well. I am a man and I have long hair. Problem is, it is utterly dry and I tried couple of methods to make it better - some basic shampoo, balsams (just some average I found in drug store), and a couple of times I tried putting olive oil on my heard (this was probably some BS advice, when I searched internet I found many articles advising pretty much everything - honey, chocolate, whipped cream, anything you buy in bakery and claiming it helps....).

If your hair looks like dead ferret dried on a sun is there any chance for salvation? What should I do? I visited a couple of (average) hairdressers but with no success. Where can found the best ones?

Thank you very much.

- Alcoholix

Edit: I understand dating and personal image are tightly connected, so I believe this is not OT at all.

Edited by Substance Abusix

Well first of all olive oil was an absolute disaster for me. Initially I liked it but the longer I used it the drier my hair become until it almost a birds nest. When I stopped using oils is when my hair became somewhat healthy again so oils are not for everyone even though that's all you hear these days.

Sorry I don't have a miracle cure. Usually when my hair becomes excessively dry the best remedy is just to go get a few inches taken off

• Like 1

Yes you are correct - presentation and dating are very much linked. If hair is a little dry but not too bad, you can coat it temporarily with some types of product, but despite what advertisers wish us to believe, nothing is going to fix it.

However if your dead animal description is accurate, the only real solution is a good cut and restyle. If you want to look your best while dating, it's better to have short healthy looking hair than long ratty hair.

• Like 1

Once a week or so I use one of the "intensive" treatments available along side the other conditioners. What I have right now is L'Oreal Elvive Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm. I slather way more than is probably necessary on and comb it through and then just leave it in. Obviously I do this on an evening or day that I'm staying in, it's not a great look :) But it does the job for me.

No sulfate....none. There are many no sulfate shampoos and conditioners in stores.

Coconut oil, just a little, don't douse, a few times a week before bed. You'll figure it out quickly. Silky ;)

• Like 1

It depends on how thick or fine your hair is, whether it's straight or curly and how oily your scalp. You can have an oily scalp and have dry hair, if the oils aren't being brushed down the hair.

If you're using shampoo, you should be using conditioner and the stuff mentioned in the first paragraph will decide the type of conditioner you need. Long hair not only needs conditioner, it needs deep conditioning every so often.

There's a hipster anti-shampoo movement trend. People are washing their hair with water and not conditioning since their scalps are providing enough oil for their hair. It takes a few weeks to stop the scalp from overproducing oils because of the moisture stripping effects of shampoo.

I got an expensive hairdresser to bring my hair back from an overdye when my hair was falling out and had a rats nest in the back. The product that worked best is about $24. It's Lanza Moi Moi Healing something Hair Masque and comes in a blue tub. Look it up and order it off the internet. It's not in drugstores or grocery stores. It goes on after shampoo and you leave it in according to the jar and then rinse out. When you rinse out, it will feel amazing already, but you'll need to use it at least once a week for awhile. It's a deep conditioner.

And then Number 2, you need to cut off any really badly damaged hair regularly. But use the Moi Moi first. You always need to trim off an inch or two every, say, three months to stay healthy.

RecentChange

Ok, I am going to straight up brag and say I have very good hair - people constantly stop me in the street, strangers stroke my hair, random people often comment (yesterday it was one of my husband's male friends "I just have to say, you have very healthy hair")

The first thing going for me is probably genetics (I have pretty kick ass skin as well) - but I do have a good routine, and once upon a time worked in high end hair care...

My tips:

Cut it - at th very least you need frequent trims. Nothing will fix split ends, frayed strands, old, damaged hair - some of it has to go.

Shampoo and conditioner. The right product and routine will largely depend on your hair type. Course and curly? Thin and fine?

First, ditch sodium lauryl sulfate, it's a sudsing agent that can be quite drying and irritating to the scalp.

Next, hair / scalp type. Oily scalp? Try a shampoo with tea tree. Dry? Look for a gentle moisturizing variety.

Shampoo just your scalp, avoid pulling it through the ends every wash. Use a deep conditioner on the ends, and have something lighter weight for everyday / all over.

Dry, brittl hair - you probably need added protien, look for products with kerotin. Just super dry - look for Ulta moisturizing.

For actual brands to use, oh lordy there are so many. For a cheaper drug store brand, I have been really happy with the Organix line - no sulfates, makes my hair look great. For $$$ Phyto is a great line and has some very moisturizing products.

Other care. Do not over brush, brush only dry or wet hair, never damp. Use a smoothinh serum after washing to help ease brushing and tame fly aways. A good leave in conditioner is a good idea as well.

I have tried olive oil, Coconut oil etc - and honestly no home products have ever come close to the results an actual good conditioner can produce.

• Like 2
major_merrick

I'd get away from all those store products and just use a natural soap, or something very basic. Then just eat healthy. Healthy stuff in, healthy stuff out. And you're going to need to cut your hair. Old hair can't be revived, it has to go.

Luckily, if you are healthy, hair grows quickly. Red meat and biotin supplements will help. My husband literally uses just bar soap on his hair - no shampoo at all. Of course, he is naturally oily so he likes it because it strips away all the oil. I use soap most of the time too, and then I just air dry naturally. I come out all fluffy that way.

For me diet is the key. My hair is not necessarily dry, but it loses it's shape and is a little dry if I don't eat avocados, coconut oil and olive oil regularly. Also what makes a big difference is the quality of your water... a good shower water filter helps a whole lot by removing impurities from your water source and is just healthier all across the board...

• Author
Substance Abusix

Thank ya all for the responses!

I am ghosting to read the one after one and see how much I can benefit from them :)

At this point I realized my problem is mostly testosterone. Last week I had annoying high level resulting tuning my head into shedding skunk's ars*. Last two days I was dead ferret, now I am more like unwashed raccoon thanks to general exhaustion and decrease in T.

After consideration I realized I cannot cut my hair. I just want to look like this

6060873-0938026847-54029.jpg

and I am working me ar*se off on it so I cannot give up now, when I am so close :laugh:

Not to be rude but your alias or name might have something to do with the poor health of your hair. Substance Abuse/(ix)? What does that mean? Is it the name of a song or your fav band or your recreational use of xyz?

Talk to a doctor and figure out your t levels.

You don't have to cut it off, but you have to trim it regularly or it will not be healthy and the ends will split and be frayed.

RecentChange

Oh and there is probably something to diet.

I eat avocado just about every day, salmon a few times a week (so lots of healthy oils) - and good sources of biotin which is essential for healthy hair, nails and skin.

Oh and there is probably something to diet.

I eat avocado just about every day, salmon a few times a week (so lots of healthy oils) - and good sources of biotin which is essential for healthy hair, nails and skin.

Certainly oils in the diet make a difference for the scalp.

But for the lengths of the hair? Not so sure... Mine is sadly bone dry, maybe because I'm naturally curly (more like wavy) and my hair is pretty long... I noticed dying it makes it dryer but no way to stop this because I'd not showcase my white strands :D

• Author
Substance Abusix
Not to be rude but your alias or name might have something to do with the poor health of your hair. Substance Abuse/(ix)? What does that mean? Is it the name of a song or your fav band or your recreational use of xyz?

Talk to a doctor and figure out your t levels.

Hahahahaha!

It is a joke and it is not.

First of all, I was hoping people will figure out when my name ends with -ix and my profile pic is Obelix, I might be Gaul as well :D (actually, I am Boii from Western Carpathian ;) )

Second, answer to you question is Yes :sick::laugh:

Yes, it is a good idea, I might want to see doctor about it.

Thank you all once again for responses, I am reading about this, I will read all your advice :)

Dietary changes promote healthy growth of hair but won't necessarily help hair that's grown out of the follicle which is effectively dead. The only vitamin that helps 'dead' hair is vitamin A since it's integral to the production of sebum which is the waxy oil that coats hair so it appears healthy. But if you're using a strong shampoo and don't brush the sebum down the shaft, it won't matter how much vitamin A you consume.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Substance Abusix

Guten Tag,

I have a huge problem with my hair.

To sum it up, this is pretty much my head right now: https://c8.alamy.com/compde/gp48jb/ein-shetland-pony-mit-einem-breiten-lacheln-und-haarschopf-gp48jb.jpg

I totally love this guy's hair:

(and the rest too...professionally, of course! :D )

Anyway, my hair is probably too short right now - about 25 cm long.

So I would like... can you post me some cool hairstyle ideas here? if you care? I am googling like crazy, but can't find anything...catchy enough. since my hair is really bad, I need to put the together, like those dreads... somehow...

I am writing this thread from pure desperation... So thanks for any kind of help!

Your hair is only 25cm long and completely ruined. The combination of length and ruin makes me suspect that the hair you have is really old hair and you don't need to get it trimmed much - is this the case? If so, the only way to get long hair would be extensions. Some people are able to grow really long hair while others are not.

The thing with beauty is that we need to work with what we've got. I'd love to have thick flowing locks, but that's never going to happen. I'd also love to have a darker complexion but I happened to have been born with pale freckly skin.

If your hair isn't inclined to grow long and healthy, then bite the bullet and do the best you can with what you've got. I'd be suggesting taking it back short and then taking really good care of what grows back so that you don't end up looking like a llama again.

And btw, are dreads only for pot smoker and black dudes only? I am of white celtic heritage and do not smoke weed.

Of the white dreadlock wearers I've seen, yep, probably stoners who have progressive views and alternative lifestyle. And they also tend to be under 30.

• Like 1

You like that guy's hair and it's short, and if your hair is a mess, you should simply cut it short and have a good salon do it so it looks best. Take a photo or two of what you like for shape at least.

Don't try to stay in anything like dreads unless you're a musician or something. They look messy and dirty except when they're fresh. They're bad on your hair, makes it break off unless your hair is real strong. Stay a little more mainstream since you aren't really that type anyway and simply go to the salon for a trim once a month. Don't go the cheapest route. Don't do the $8 haircut. Go to a real salon, someone who knows what to do with hair.

• Like 1