Life in New Mexico

I'm curious about what it's like to live in New Mexico, particularly Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos, and Albuquerque. Any thoughts about life there?

Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos, and Albuquerque.

Spent some time in each of them though never lived there. Those are four very different cities - is there a particular vibe or lifestyle you're looking for?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Spent some time in each of them though never lived there. Those are four very different cities - is there a particular vibe or lifestyle you're looking for?

Mr. Lucky

True, very different vibes. My first choice would be Santa Fe. Then Los Alamos if I worked there. Even then, I'd probably travel back and forth from Los Alamos to Santa Fe.

• Author
I lived in Tucson for 2 years, it's sorta similar to those cities in NM.

Did you like living there?

Happy Lemming

I live in the Sonoran Desert (similar climate) and LOVE IT!!

I thrive in the heat!! VERY, VERY Happy I moved here!!

• Author
I live in the Sonoran Desert (similar climate) and LOVE IT!!

I thrive in the heat!! VERY, VERY Happy I moved here!!

Very neat! Well, honestly, I detest the heat but I've noticed that New Mexico appears to be much more temperate than where I currently live. Plus, it has distinct seasons. And it snows, but not too much. Nothing's perfect but it seems the closest to that for my taste.

• Author
My brother lived in Albuquerque for years. What exactly are you wondering about?

I'm wondering if it's a good place to live.

I love Santa Fe, but it's expensive. Taos is even more expensive. Albuquerque is bigger, but I like it too. ABQ is the most affordable of those three. ABQ has a nice zoo that I've been to, and the food is great in all places. I've never been to Los Alamos. New Mexico is one of my favorite states, and I would love to live there. Santa Fe would be my choice, but I'm not sure I could afford it.

• Author
I love Santa Fe, but it's expensive. Taos is even more expensive. Albuquerque is bigger, but I like it too. ABQ is the most affordable of those three. ABQ has a nice zoo that I've been to, and the food is great in all places. I've never been to Los Alamos. New Mexico is one of my favorite states, and I would love to live there. Santa Fe would be my choice, but I'm not sure I could afford it.

Los Alamos is pretty fantastic because some of the greatest scientific minds are there. Right down my alley. But I’ve heard there’s not a lot going on there city-wise. Santa Fe is artsy and laid back. It’s probably where I’ll end up. Looking at housing, it didn’t seem any more expensive than where I currently live. Ive never been to Taos. ABQ would be my last choice because it’s just another city - although a beautiful one. :)

Los Alamos is pretty fantastic because some of the greatest scientific minds are there. Right down my alley. But I’ve heard there’s not a lot going on there city-wise. Santa Fe is artsy and laid back. It’s probably where I’ll end up. Looking at housing, it didn’t seem any more expensive than where I currently live. Ive never been to Taos. ABQ would be my last choice because it’s just another city - although a beautiful one. :)

I would love to live in Santa Fe. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I need to get back there for a visit soon. Sedona is another place I would like to live.

• Like 1
Betrayed&Stayed
I'm curious about what it's like to live in New Mexico, particularly Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos, and Albuquerque. Any thoughts about life there?

I have vacationed (Summer) in Taos twice the past 5 years.

It's a small town. Not many ways to make a living unless you're retired or work remotely.

The town is remote and feels that way.

For an outdoor enthusiast, it's heaven. You have hiking, rafting, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc in the Summer, and skiing in the winter. It's absolutely beautiful; google "William's Lake Taos".

Awesome food! (But so does Santa Fe)

Very artsy-oriented town (like Santa Fe)

• Like 1
Did you like living there?

very much so. it's beautiful and you can ski during the winter months. I did my first two years of college there at the University of Arizona

• Like 1
  • Author
I have vacationed (Summer) in Taos twice the past 5 years.

It's a small town. Not many ways to make a living unless you're retired or work remotely.

The town is remote and feels that way.

For an outdoor enthusiast, it's heaven. You have hiking, rafting, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc in the Summer, and skiing in the winter. It's absolutely beautiful; google "William's Lake Taos".

Awesome food! (But so does Santa Fe)

Very artsy-oriented town (like Santa Fe)

I want to do all those things! I’ll probably work at first but my goal is to retire there, which isn’t that many years away. I figure I might as well get started living there now. It sounds like REAL living! :)

ABQ would be my last choice because it’s just another city - although a beautiful one. :)

Second this, ABQ has the same generic feeling as a number of similar or bigger Western cities. Taos would be too remote for me and Los Alamos a little too singularly oriented.

Santa Fe would be a winner. Small enough/big enough with a great cultural scene...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Second this, ABQ has the same generic feeling as a number of similar or bigger Western cities. Taos would be too remote for me and Los Alamos a little too singularly oriented.

Santa Fe would be a winner. Small enough/big enough with a great cultural scene...

Mr. Lucky

That’s what I’ve decided, too. :)

Mr. Lucky

I agree. Santa Fe is unique. A lot of cities in the US look very similar, but Santa Fe and Taos have their own unique vibes. I like ABQ, but it wouldn't be my first choice of places to live. I don't know if you like sking, but you can ski in Santa Fe. I like it because it's a smaller place to ski. Lots of hiking trails in the area too.

OP, how do you do long-term at high elevation? 7200' is nothing to sneeze at. Is this a transitional move or a place you're considering long-term like for decades?

After living in the same place for over 50 years, when I was looking for the next and final move in life, it was predominately health care, transportation, weather and people and, looking at retirement, affordability and cost of living. In my case I wanted to pay cash for a new place before moving so it had to be under a quarter mil. Not much in the Sante Fe area like that. With no acreage as a parameter, only 14 3BR detached homes currently available.

Your parameters will be your own. In any event, if this is to be more than just a stop on the road to somewhere else, IMO spend some time on the ground prior to making a decision. Talk to locals, check out the business and social/political/religious life, see it at its best and worst. If it feels right, you'll know. I spent a couple years looking before finally pulling the trigger. Some people are more decisive and quick. When I knew where I wanted to be buried, I knew. Good luck with your choice!

• Author
OP, how do you do long-term at high elevation? 7200' is nothing to sneeze at. Is this a transitional move or a place you're considering long-term like for decades?

After living in the same place for over 50 years, when I was looking for the next and final move in life, it was predominately health care, transportation, weather and people and, looking at retirement, affordability and cost of living. In my case I wanted to pay cash for a new place before moving so it had to be under a quarter mil. Not much in the Sante Fe area like that. With no acreage as a parameter, only 14 3BR detached homes currently available.

Your parameters will be your own. In any event, if this is to be more than just a stop on the road to somewhere else, IMO spend some time on the ground prior to making a decision. Talk to locals, check out the business and social/political/religious life, see it at its best and worst. If it feels right, you'll know. I spent a couple years looking before finally pulling the trigger. Some people are more decisive and quick. When I knew where I wanted to be buried, I knew. Good luck with your choice!

I don’t know how I’d do long-term. I’ve never noticed any effects from being in high altitude and actually forget about it while I’m there. Once while in Colorado, I jogged and couldn’t figure out why I was having some trouble breathing - then I realized what it was. Not sure how I’d do long-term but I assume I’ll be ok.

I’m looking at NM as being my final resting grounds. Texas will always be my home and I love it fiercely. It’s going to be a big change but I want to get away from the tropical-like weather, and the other extremes here. I want to look at mountains, hike, be in low humidity, all that.

I want to start a business but if that doesn’t pan out, I’ll work in NM until I can retire, which will in about 5 yrs. I’d be surprised if I end up not liking it there but I suppose it’s possible. Thank you for your insight.

I don’t know how I’d do long-term. I’ve never noticed any effects from being in high altitude and actually forget about it while I’m there. Once while in Colorado, I jogged and couldn’t figure out why I was having some trouble breathing - then I realized what it was. Not sure how I’d do long-term but I assume I’ll be ok.

I’m looking at NM as being my final resting grounds. Texas will always be my home and I love it fiercely. It’s going to be a big change but I want to get away from the tropical-like weather, and the other extremes here. I want to look at mountains, hike, be in low humidity, all that.

I want to start a business but if that doesn’t pan out, I’ll work in NM until I can retire, which will in about 5 yrs. I’d be surprised if I end up not liking it there but I suppose it’s possible. Thank you for your insight.

do you have family in NM??

• Author
do you have family in NM??

No, but my sister is going to move with me. Another relative plans to move to Colorado in a few years, and my son would probably visit often. I have friends where I live but don’t see them that often. I’m closest to my sister, nephew, and son.