The orange tabby.....

thefooloftheyear

Something has really changed me over the last few years.......

I have had this very strong urge to do something more than what I am doing now...To be able to have a different purpose to my life..

I get more emotional over many things now...Not to the level where I am falling apart....But these things affect me more now than ever.....

I see inspirational stories on TV, and they affect me greatly..Just this morning, I saw a story about how some guy who became very wealthy, but grew up in a poor part of Baltimore decided to resurrect a dead football team from an inner city....Most of the kids were the type that had to dodge gunfire on a daily basis, some homeless, living in squalor, etc...

Anyway, this guy decided to infuse some money into the school and the program...He paid all of the tuition of the kids that were on the team...Put them into more livable housing arrangements...etc...

The team became a rousing success....They won the championship and crushed all of their opponents...Most of the kids received scholarships to major football programs,(USC, Alabama, Ohio State, UMiami, etc)...This wound up not only being great for the kids, but really great for their families...Practically all of them will wind up with multi million dollar NFL contracts and thus would change the fortunes of their entire families...

It was very inspirational...

And this ties in with the title of the thread...

I often visit the pet store to get stuff for my animals...This store has a section in the corner where they adopt cats and dogs...Every time I go there and see all the people paying all of the attention to the cute little kittens and puppies, I have repeatedly seen this older male tabby cat, buried in the bottom cage.....no one adopts him or even pays attention to him...He just seems so sad..I spend time talking to him through the cage, people must think I am an idiot, but I can't help it...He deserves better and I wish I could bring him home.I left there the other day just feeling sick to my stomach that this poor guy is languishing away in some cage being ignored by everyone..

Point is I know the world is full of unwanted animals...he is only one of millions...People too...People who the world has given up on...All they need is a chance....Someone to show them they matter...Someone that will make them feel important and loved...

I dunno...Just wondering if other people also feel this way, or maybe this is a sign that I am getting older and realizing what is really important in this life..Stuff that mattered to me before no longer matters like it once did....I mean, it's just a cat, right? Why should this one animal be occupying so much of my brain and consideration.??

While I do donate to various causes that are important to me and have been for years, I will one day soon have some cause I can work towards on a higher level...Like that football coach did.....Haven't figured it out, but will someday soon..

I'd be interested in hearing any of your stories...I know this is a site where people are dealing with their own issues and can relate to the fact that until one has those under control its kinda hard to focus on others...

TFY

• Like 11

After my D I adopted two seniors, one a Siamese male that an old man couldn't take care of any more so surrendered to the SPCA, found him at Pets Mart in their adoption area, the other was a retired Himalayan breeding male tossed aside by the breeder. Wonderful animals, very loyal, though of course their lives had limits and now they're gone. Had both about three years consecutively. They taught me a lot about value in life.

IMO, go the direction you feel pulls you. I did all the community stuff when younger, prior to being married. After that, and divorce, now it's my time. Sure, will lend skills now and again to certain causes in the local community and might even adopt another cat at some point. Never know what's coming down the road.

• Like 3
Happy Lemming

There is a local food bank that I donate money to every month. For every $1, they can serve 7 meals, which I think is fantastic. I don't think I get emotional about it, but I do like the idea of getting someone a meal, so they can face the day without being hungry.

I'll never be able to fund a football team, but I can fill someone's empty stomach.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

One of the sweetest philanthropic stories I can remember happened 4 years ago. Unfortunately, they have not continued this every year as they said they would, but I'm sure they have a good reason. It was such a sad story, but heartwarming to see the amount keep growing and then when they finally updated the story with the happy ending.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dad-gives-away-100-000-to-deserving-family-103519397952.html

• Like 1

Ooh just seeing skimming your post made me want to go and bring the orange tabby home...

I guess I'm not the most philantropic person in the world, not even close. But I think we should not forget small things count. They add up.

Animal related, I have a rescue cat and dog at home. Both are great animals, who knows what their life was like before I got them but both has been shy and scared, getting better every day. The cat is a brown tabby and dog is some white/black mix. I think living in a multi-species household gives a new perspective to all participants:) BF has fostered over the years 10s of abandoned animals until they get to a healthy state and can move on to a permanent family. I'm usually very slow to open to people but his bunch of dogs that will accompany him on each of our trips bonded us :) Each of these animals is coming with a story, usually not a great one... and care and attention makes them completely shift ... makes me think maybe the same thing would apply for troubled people...

Listen I'm a huge animal lover and it would be the greatest luxury to have a puppy, but my conscience won't let me. I have to save the ones no one else wants. I think you should adopt that cat. I'm too old to adopt anything else, but you should do it while you can. It's always rewarding.

• Like 2
  • Author
thefooloftheyear
Listen I'm a huge animal lover and it would be the greatest luxury to have a puppy, but my conscience won't let me. I have to save the ones no one else wants. I think you should adopt that cat. I'm too old to adopt anything else, but you should do it while you can. It's always rewarding.

Oh, believe me...If it was humanly possible, I would...Gladly...:)

I have a friggin menagerie already here and while we have always had cats and dogs through my life, I have never bought one...They were/are ALL rescues or street strays...And each one was/is special..

I know animal behavior pretty well, and it appears to me that this guy would be the type that wouldn't be happy unless he was the sole animal in the house..I had a cat just like him years ago...Also a male...same temperament..I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling..

I'm gonna see what I can do to get him into a good home...There has to be someone in my circle that would love to have this guy as a companion..:)

TFY

• Like 3

So they're actually trying to sell an adult cat? Or is it just to cover the shots and spay bill? Just curious. Usually if you see a grown cat in a pet shop, it's from a rescue.

• Like 1
So they're actually trying to sell an adult cat? Or is it just to cover the shots and spay bill? Just curious. Usually if you see a grown cat in a pet shop, it's from a rescue.

In our area, some retail pet outlets, Pet Smart being one, have deals set up with the SPCA to showcase some of their animals along with the retail animals as a community service. Back when I adopted the older male Siamese, he was vaccinated and microchipped and came with a mountain of paperwork and cost me 20 bucks. However, adoption costs have increased over the last decade in general and, older or not, shelters often charge quite a stiff adoption fee, though older cats are usually less. I prefer older animals because they are often ignored or cast aside and still have some good years left in them and I'd rather see them free and loved in the forest than in a cage somewhere.

The closest no-kill shelter to where I live in OR charges 75.00 for adult cats and there's an interview process as well. I'll likely end up as a volunteer and foster care eventually, or at least help out using my construction skills.

• Like 2

If you have your own office can't he be your work cat? This way he won't have to come to your house but can get lovin every day?

• Author
thefooloftheyear
In our area, some retail pet outlets, Pet Smart being one, have deals set up with the SPCA to showcase some of their animals along with the retail animals as a community service. Back when I adopted the older male Siamese, he was vaccinated and microchipped and came with a mountain of paperwork and cost me 20 bucks. However, adoption costs have increased over the last decade in general and, older or not, shelters often charge quite a stiff adoption fee, though older cats are usually less. I prefer older animals because they are often ignored or cast aside and still have some good years left in them and I'd rather see them free and loved in the forest than in a cage somewhere.

The closest no-kill shelter to where I live in OR charges 75.00 for adult cats and there's an interview process as well. I'll likely end up as a volunteer and foster care eventually, or at least help out using my construction skills.

This exactly....The cats and dogs they have there aren't for sale, but rather adoption..for a nominal fee..

TFY

• Author
thefooloftheyear
If you have your own office can't he be your work cat? This way he won't have to come to your house but can get lovin every day?

That's not a bad idea and hadn't initially considered that..It is a place with a lot of commotion at times, though...I wonder if he wouldn't be too keen about that..

I've never fostered an animal...What does that entail? Do you keep him for a period of time or until it finds a home? Knowing me, Id grow attached and Id not want to give him up in the event someone else wants him..:laugh:

TFY

• Like 1
I've never fostered an animal...What does that entail?

I have no idea. I've never fostered an animal. If it's chaotic at times get him a kitty door so he can come and go as he pleases.

Cats are very independent animals. Caging them is cruel. It may not be your house but I bet he'd love his new home.

• Like 1
That's not a bad idea and hadn't initially considered that..It is a place with a lot of commotion at times, though...I wonder if he wouldn't be too keen about that..

I've never fostered an animal...What does that entail? Do you keep him for a period of time or until it finds a home? Knowing me, Id grow attached and Id not want to give him up in the event someone else wants him..:laugh:

TFY

Fostering is keeping the animal until someone adopts it permanently (usually other person but could be the foster person too).

Attachment is a thing, but for the well-being of the animal, fostering is so much better than staying in a cage...

Oh, believe me...If it was humanly possible, I would...Gladly...:)

I have a friggin menagerie already here and while we have always had cats and dogs through my life, I have never bought one...They were/are ALL rescues or street strays...And each one was/is special..

I know animal behavior pretty well, and it appears to me that this guy would be the type that wouldn't be happy unless he was the sole animal in the house..I had a cat just like him years ago...Also a male...same temperament..I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling..

I'm gonna see what I can do to get him into a good home...There has to be someone in my circle that would love to have this guy as a companion..:)

TFY

All of those agencies have a clause where you can bring them back if it doesn't work out.

I already had three cats and two dogs when I took in my stepdaughter's cat.

That was December, 2016, and she's still here. She gets along with no one (except me and H). She basically lives in the master bedroom. I bring her out once a day and set her on the back of the couch, where she watches everyone else with amusement, but hisses if anyone comes near.

It's a hell of a lot better than the conditions she was in, or ending up alone in a cage at even the best rescue group.

Go get the tabby! You might be surprised. Go!

• Like 4
CautiouslyOptimistic

TFY

Yes, you keep the pet for a period of time, until it finds a home. Most people do it "officially" through a rescue organization, after getting approved, and the rescue pays for the food, shots, etc. You just provide shelter, love, and visits for potential adopters. I believe you also have the final say since you know the pet best.

I have a friend who does it "unofficially" just on her own. People just know about her and she frequently takes in kittens and finds them homes.

I "fostered" a tiny kitten 2 summers ago that I had to bottle feed she was so tiny (a friend of a friend found her in their driveway). As you might expect, I still have her :).

• Like 2
Yes, you keep the pet for a period of time, until it finds a home. Most people do it "officially" through a rescue organization, after getting approved, and the rescue pays for the food, shots, etc. You just provide shelter, love, and visits for potential adopters. I believe you also have the final say since you know the pet best.

I have a friend who does it "unofficially" just on her own. People just know about her and she frequently takes in kittens and finds them homes.

I "fostered" a tiny kitten 2 summers ago that I had to bottle feed she was so tiny (a friend of a friend found her in their driveway). As you might expect, I still have her :).

Ah, a failed foster, LOL!

That would be my problem. I drive for a rescue group, transporting animals from elsewhere in the state. I had done a 200 mile round trip, and got back to the rescue with three dogs. One had been an absolute gem on the drive, so I asked if I could take him home for the night. Danger, danger!

He was delightful, got along with everyone here. We had a nice slumber party, and I had to summon all my power in the morning to take him in.

He ended up in a great home, fortunately.

TFY, have you ever considered driving for a rescue? Check out NBRAN - it's a Brittany rescue group. They are always in need of drivers for their 'canine railroad'. There's a chapter near you, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I fostered a couple of dogs. I had JUST gotten the pit mix pup used to going to the bathroom outdoors instead of inside when, bam, he as adopted without me ever meeting the lady -- and then she put the poor thing right back in a crate just when he was learning the outdoors.

Usually you have to take them or let them go on weekends to adoption events and be in a cage for adoption. So I did that a couple of times with my next one, and then this stupid family who never had a pet came in and was only looking at pretty long-haired dogs and the only one we had it said right on the cage No kids, no other pets because she was surly, they wanted her even though they had a six year old boy, only because she was prettier. They wanted a chow. I hated them, but I liked their boy, and my foster liked the boy too, but not the parents. The rescue lady was on the fence about it and before they could cave in to their boy, I told the rescue I'd adopt her myself before I'd let them have her. So yeah, no more fostering, probably. Letitia died young, though. Only had her 4 years. Got a leak in her heart, very $$$$, very heartbreaking. But before that happened, we had a blast. She and my other dog, Loretta, were the best buddies and Letitia liked to go on the river with me and everything. She even got in a local magazine, a big photo of her tubing. I miss her so.

I get too attached to foster. I simply cannot meet the adopters because all the ones I've seen so far have seemed like idiots to me who are just going to treat the pet like a toy they can put back in a box after their kid is done tormenting it. But if you have the constitution for it, it's a nice thing to do for the animals.

Bring Mr. Orange home FOTY

The cat is trying to tell him something. All the answers will become clear when he brings Cheddar home.

• Like 4

I get that feeling about certain animals and it takes me days if not weeks to shake it off sometimes. =/

Just make sure you really want a cat and everything that comes with it before you do anything. The only thing worse than dealing with it sad in the cage is the horrible experience of returning it.

Also, Timshel's dog is hogging my leg space in the bed right now if that helps you any in your decision. Expect sacrifices to be made.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
All the answers will become clear when he brings Cheddar home.

To OP: Now, you have to go get the Orange Tabby... He's been named!!

I agree with "MidwestUSA", go get Cheddar!!

• Like 3