Can frustration bring on anxiety attack?

Since March I have changed my routine to get to work.

My regular routine took me 1 hour to get from my home front door to office door and cost $350 a month.

My new routine takes me 1h30 from front door to front door and it cost me $95

I changed my routine to save the $.

Now after 5 months doing this I am getting really frustrated to spend 3 hours a day in transit from home to office. Lately I started having problem breathing in while going to work or coming back from work. I take deep breath but it's like the air doesn't go in. After a few tries I am able to get a good satisfying breath in but it starts over a few minutes later with me yawning and trying to bring air in.

It never happens while I am at the office, while at home, or while being out doing my errands, visiting family etc. Only when I go to work and come back.

Is that anxiety?

I thought anxiety was when we worried too much. I don't worry, my mind don't wonder, I am just super fed up of all this time spent in public transport.

Could be anxiety but I'd rule out more serious issues first.

Once I got a PE and had no symptoms besides shortness of breath when commuting. I though it is all due to the stress I was going to but not quite...

Could it be that you are anemic? Or allergic to something on your commute?

If it's really the stress it will be an easy fix (turning back to your previous routine despite the extra cost), but here you're talking for only an extra half hour per commute, not that big of a deal...

• Author
Could be anxiety but I'd rule out more serious issues first.

Once I got a PE and had no symptoms besides shortness of breath when commuting. I though it is all due to the stress I was going to but not quite...

Could it be that you are anemic? Or allergic to something on your commute?

If it's really the stress it will be an easy fix (turning back to your previous routine despite the extra cost), but here you're talking for only an extra half hour per commute, not that big of a deal...

My commute includes a 30 min ride in car, 30 mins ride in bus, and 30 mins walk. I have issues breathing in the car, and the bus and while walking. It's not limited to 1 environment. (I walk my dog morning and night and never deal with breathing difficulties)

Anemic I doubt, I am not tired, I have seen my mother dealing with anemia I'd recognize it.

Unless it's the heat. We've been dealing with heat waves here for a couple of months reaching almost daily 107F.

It's just an extra 30 mins but calculated on a daily basis I went from 2 hours transiting to 3 hours. I get home super frustrated, so much I want to sell my place again and move closer to work. I am THAT annoyed.

This morning I took my old routine and I barely noticed a difficulty breathing.

CautiouslyOptimistic
My commute includes a 30 min ride in car, 30 mins ride in bus, and 30 mins walk. I have issues breathing in the car, and the bus and while walking. It's not limited to 1 environment. (I walk my dog morning and night and never deal with breathing difficulties)

Anemic I doubt, I am not tired, I have seen my mother dealing with anemia I'd recognize it.

Unless it's the heat. We've been dealing with heat waves here for a couple of months reaching almost daily 107F.

It's just an extra 30 mins but calculated on a daily basis I went from 2 hours transiting to 3 hours. I get home super frustrated, so much I want to sell my place again and move closer to work. I am THAT annoyed.

That sounds like an awful commute!! Especially the walking in 107 degree heat!

• Like 1

My regular routine took me 1 hour to get from my home front door to office door and cost $350 a month.

My new routine takes me 1h30 from front door to front door and it cost me $95

I'd be looking at even more drastic changes, the 10 hours a week would be too much for me. That's the equivalent of 21 days a year spent just commuting!

I'm sure you'll tell me all the reasons why it can't be changed. My answer - at what cost :confused: ?

Mr. Lucky

It does sound like anxiety, stress and/or exhaustion, but keep an eye on it.

Respectfully, are you sure that this new change is worth it? Assuming you work 5 days a week, your new routine saves you only $12.75 per working day, at a cost of an extra hour in commute, and all that extra stress. If money is extremely tight, I guess you have no choice, but otherwise there might be better ways to bolster your income or savings.

• Like 1

Could be the heat, actually very likely.

How is your blood pressure?

• Author
Could be the heat, actually very likely.

How is your blood pressure?

My BP is A1 (117/77). I have a machine that I keep at work and take it regularly.

• Like 1
  • Author

Interestingly yesterday when I left the office it started at the moment I got in front of the elevator to leave then nothing! I went back home using my short routine and it went with no shortness of breath.

This morning I decided to take my short routine again and made it with no breathing issue!!

It sounds more and more like frustration induced anxiety.

As someone who struggled with panic disorder and almost unmanageable anxiety, I can say that what you're experiencing sounds a lot like anxiety. The physical manifestations of anxiety don't just present with worry. Any kind of stress, a crappy commute included, can bring it on.

Interestingly yesterday when I left the office it started at the moment I got in front of the elevator to leave then nothing! I went back home using my short routine and it went with no shortness of breath.

This morning I decided to take my short routine again and made it with no breathing issue!!

It sounds more and more like frustration induced anxiety.

Again it might be, but I won’t count on it. Shortness of breath is too much of an alarming symptom to account it to be a psychosomatic one...

I’d exclude the 4 scary ones that doctors checked on me when I had it (in my case was a blood clot):

-clots

-diabetes

-thyroid issues

-lung problems

And change the routine, $200 bucks of savings is nice but not worth it.

• Author
Again it might be, but I won’t count on it. Shortness of breath is too much of an alarming symptom to account it to be a psychosomatic one...

Next time I see my doctor I will mention this to him. What is particular is it's only happening under very specific circumstances. If it was physical it would manifest itself on weekends, at night, while at home, etc. It never does.

Next time I see my doctor I will mention this to him. What is particular is it's only happening under very specific circumstances. If it was physical it would manifest itself on weekends, at night, while at home, etc. It never does.

Yeah, true that makes the case for anxiety-related issue.

But good that you'd mention it to your d-r because all the possible physical causes are nothing to ignore.

Actually can you get medically checked for anxiety to prove it for sure? I don't know how it works but I'm assuming there are tests to do that.

Yeah, true that makes the case for anxiety-related issue.

But good that you'd mention it to your d-r because all the possible physical causes are nothing to ignore.

Actually can you get medically checked for anxiety to prove it for sure? I don't know how it works but I'm assuming there are tests to do that.

There is no medical test for anxiety - it's usually diagnosed based on symptoms and the exclusion of any other medical issues. Generally they do a blood pressure reading, blood test and cardiac tests, and if they don't find anything, it's assumed to be an anxiety attack.

I've had them and spent quite a lot of time with doctors for them. They're pretty brutal. I can only imagine commuting for 1.5 hrs after working a full day and commuting 1.5 hrs in the morning would be a prime cause.

• Like 2

Wow this surprises me, I though it can be proven chemically.

I've done similar commute and remember being annoyed too. What helped me was getting a bike - I would bike to the train station instead of taking the buss, take it on the train with me and bike the distance after the train stop that I'd usually walk. So that took it down to an hour. I guess it's not a solution for everyone (I don't care if I'm biking in heels and work attire LOL) but it's a solution.

Another solution is to ride-share with someone commuting in the same direction.

There is no medical test for anxiety - it's usually diagnosed based on symptoms and the exclusion of any other medical issues. Generally they do a blood pressure reading, blood test and cardiac tests, and if they don't find anything, it's assumed to be an anxiety attack.

I've had them and spent quite a lot of time with doctors for them. They're pretty brutal. I can only imagine commuting for 1.5 hrs after working a full day and commuting 1.5 hrs in the morning would be a prime cause.

• Author

When my ex-husband died I had a real anxiety attack one day, I had no clue what it was I only thought I was going to die. I was traveling in the metro when suddenly I collapse unable to breath. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance and had a long series of test. I got the full package. My doctor told me it was generalized anxiety caused by the stress (The pain of seeing my daughter losing her dad etc). He gave me anxiety meds for 4 months and things went back to normal. I remember him telling me though that once you experience that level of anxiety you are fragile to anxiety after that. That was 5 years ago.

I have never experienced it after that episode but I have to consider I am 52 now and peri-menopausal and anxiety is a symptome of perimenopause.

CautiouslyOptimistic
When my ex-husband died I had a real anxiety attack one day, I had no clue what it was I only thought I was going to die. I was traveling in the metro when suddenly I collapse unable to breath. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance and had a long series of test. I got the full package. My doctor told me it was generalized anxiety caused by the stress (The pain of seeing my daughter losing her dad etc). He gave me anxiety meds for 4 months and things went back to normal. I remember him telling me though that once you experience that level of anxiety you are fragile to anxiety after that. That was 5 years ago.

I have never experienced it after that episode but I have to consider I am 52 now and peri-menopausal and anxiety is a symptom of perimenopause.

Yes, it is. I belong to a pretty decent perimenopause/menopause group on Facebook if you're interested.

Often anxiety attacks have no rhyme or reason for those who are prone to them. I've only had a couple in my life and remember one happened while I was just standing at the stove cooking dinner. My daughter gets them and last year she had one while sitting at a basketball game at school - came out of nowhere. She couldn't even drive herself home :(.

Maybe it's toxic air. I first got like that during high ozone days.

Anxiety attacks can be very dramatic like a heart attack. I don't know if it can just make you breathe hard.

Mold can do that.

• Like 1
I've done similar commute and remember being annoyed too. What helped me was getting a bike - I would bike to the train station instead of taking the buss, take it on the train with me and bike the distance after the train stop that I'd usually walk. So that took it down to an hour. I guess it's not a solution for everyone (I don't care if I'm biking in heels and work attire LOL) but it's a solution.

I used to bike to work but it was in a kitchen where you were going to be hot and sweaty anyway. Since the OP is traveling in 107 degree heat, not sure how well that'd work in an office setting...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Just hearing that you have to walk 30 mins twice daily 5 days a week under 107F heat is giving me a heart attack :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Author

107F is exceptional this year. My city is also an Island to it's very humid, the air is thick and being outside feels like being in a sauna. Because we only have a few months of summer our pubic transportation don't have air conditioning.

I think I will go back to my short routinefrom next week which is 30 minutes drive and 20 minutes metro.

One way is to take clothes to change in the office. Most offices I've been with have showers. Biking in the heat is not fun, but same applies for walking...

I used to bike to work but it was in a kitchen where you were going to be hot and sweaty anyway. Since the OP is traveling in 107 degree heat, not sure how well that'd work in an office setting...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

I am coming back from my doctor. Thanks to No_go for insisting I visit him.

After a series of questions he said it sounds like anxiety caused by accumulation of stress. I got a lung X-ray while I was there, he will get the results on Tuesday but he doubts there is something there it's a routine check up good to have.

If X-ray is clear then he prescribes me vacation & yoga :-)

• Like 1

I get similar symptoms on flights, knowing I can't get off the plane for at least few more hours. Frustrating and shortness of breath despite all the air conditioning and ventilation. Make sure to remind yourself over and over again that there's nothing wrong with your breathing and don't tense your muscles, it sends a signal of distress right up to your brain. And take that shorter route, buy yourself time and peace of mind for that money you're saving now :)

Awesome- if everything comes clean you’re safe to assume it’s anxiety and as you already decided, time to switch to the old commute.

Btw seems like you had lots of stress recently from your threads, things pile up. Indeed also time for a nice vacation, even if it is homecation.

I am coming back from my doctor. Thanks to No_go for insisting I visit him.

After a series of questions he said it sounds like anxiety caused by accumulation of stress. I got a lung X-ray while I was there, he will get the results on Tuesday but he doubts there is something there it's a routine check up good to have.

If X-ray is clear then he prescribes me vacation & yoga :-)