So for the past few months, ever since I got fired from my job, because I have a good sense that someone who I thought I was cool with ratted on me, I have been wondering if it's considered "weak" to have a sense of morality. Regarding what led to my dismissal, I can't confirm anything as it could have been someone else who snitched on me, but it made me wonder if I should try looking at my own moral codes.

Now I don't consider myself perfect, but I don't have it in me to try screwing someone else over, to stab them in the back or anything of that nature. Also, I don't usually have a distaste for someone unless I have some kind of animosity towards that person. I could disagree with someone's viewpoints, people can annoy me, and anything like that, but do I dislike them? Not really, I mean I don't see myself having lunch with the person, but I don't have any sour feelings towards someone. If someone is a jerk to me, did something to a friend or relative that I don't approve of, screws me over, etc. then I would tend to have a problem with that person. However, it seems that people somehow get ahead in the workplace when they throw someone under the bus and all that stuff.

Personally, I tend to think that a certain quote from the movie, "Scarface" has some kind of fact to it and I tend to agree with it. I'm talking about the line about never screwing someone over that didn't have it coming to them. Like I said, I am not perfect, but if I have a reason to do anything bad to someone, there IS a REASON behind that. But I usually don't have a reason, and what happened to me, it made me question my moral sense, not to mention that you can't trust anybody (Not that I was, but the fact that I didn't see anything made me wonder a lot of things, until I was told something at some point).

So should I change my moral stance?

So for the past few months, ever since I got fired from my job, because I have a good sense that someone who I thought I was cool with ratted on me, I have been wondering if it's considered "weak" to have a sense of morality. Regarding what led to my dismissal, I can't confirm anything as it could have been someone else who snitched on me, but it made me wonder if I should try looking at my own moral codes.

Were you dismissed for something most people would regard as immoral or unethical?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

TV shows certainly seem to have a lot of people pushing others under the bus to get ahead. And perhaps it does happen in some fields in real life. But in the fields that I or my partners (current and previous) have worked in, one gets ahead through a combination of impressive work and networking. If impressive work doesn't get you the promotion, then networking with those who respect you can help you find a better job elsewhere.

More specifically directed at your case: you talk about having strong morals....but you also talk about getting fired because of someone ratting on you. I'm sure you can see the contradiction here. What happened?

• Like 1
CrazyKatLady

You said you don't have a problem with someone getting screwed over who had it coming on this website, but try saying that to their face, I imagine a ***** says stuff like this online.

Whatever measure you judge by, let it be pressed down and poured over and meeted out to you. An unrighteous man's judgement isn't worth anything to anyone and God is no respecter of persons. And someone whom you deem is wrong in one thing, surely isn't always wrong about everything.

That would be utterly and ridiculously impossible. Unless it was Kill Bill or something.

There is no mercy for the wicked in God's eyes.

I can only tell you that once I felt under seige in my career, the gloves came off. But I also learned that it's not what you know but who. My hard won career was derailed by a new girl who sucked up to my supervisor and the one above him. And lord knows what else. She lied and cheated and did very little work. I discovered it is very hard to win over someone like that. You can get a witness to cover your butt and things like that, but the bottom line is the supervisors were getting a huge ego boost out of her, and nothing you can do about that.

So depends on the situation. I did get aggressive in a couple other areas and came out okay on it.

I will offer one piece of advice that is good in general but don't know if it applies in your situation. Don't be the first one to troubleshoot. For some stupid reason, some bosses who don't want to deal with things can really resent you for that and think YOU'RE the problem. So even though you know something (not isolated to your own work) is going to get messed up and see it coming, don't be the first to say something. Let someone else bring it up and possibly get hated for it. Then you be the one who comes in behind them and says, "Hey, I heard there's a problem with X. I think I might know how to fix it."

Edited by preraph
  • 3 weeks later...

How about instead of embarking on some long mental voyage of moral re-evaluation you just knock off doing things that can get you fired if someone else reports it? :confused:

I do stuff that could get me fired sometimes but nobody else knows about it or could prove it, duh. I also have a manager who's done his best to grind me under to show his boss what a stud he is and I'm not fired because I'm too valuable to the company.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Fearless Motivation

So I understand you did something wrong, and person you trusted reported you. And you ask question whether having morals is good or bad thing?

Well, let me give you back a couple of paragraphs:

- Yes, having morals is absolutely a good thing that will lead you in life and strengthens you.

- But you do not have them.

- so work on your character instead, and understand if you throw merde at something, merde is what you can expect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

It's been a bit since I had contributed to this thread. I would rather not share what led me to getting fired, but really, what planted the seeds was someone snitching on me. Personally, where I stand is that I was not reported as a means of "doing the right thing," but rather as a means of "screwing someone over." In other words, sometimes snitching can be used for malicious intent.

Still, I am not going to tell you what happened, but I realize that I did deserve it. However, the way it was handled was $#!++y, as they waited too long to give me the letter, rather than do it sooner.

Fearless Motivation
Legal is the American way. Morality is irrelevant. Ask any lawyer ;)

That is true but what is also American way is raising from low bottom job lying scum to decent respected person

It's been a bit since I had contributed to this thread. I would rather not share what led me to getting fired, but really, what planted the seeds was someone snitching on me. Personally, where I stand is that I was not reported as a means of "doing the right thing," but rather as a means of "screwing someone over." In other words, sometimes snitching can be used for malicious intent.

Since you admit you were the wrong-doer, how do you tell the difference? Your "snitching" is another person's doing the right thing...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 3

E-Squared, I lost out on a management position to a guy from another office recently and his first order of business when he arrived was to embarrass me in front of his boss as often as he could. I think I was dragged in to his bosses office about 10 times the first 3 months, often over stuff he didn't even address with me beforehand. To the point where my career there is pretty much over.

But you know what, that's life and business. Not everyone you run into is going to be great or have your best interest at hand. Which is why you have to protect yourself the best you can. So if you take anything away from this I hope it's that rather than "oh how can other people be so immoral". You'll just end in the same place all over again with that attitude.

• Like 1
  • Author
I snitch if I think the other person is doing the wrong thing, absolutely. Actions have consequences.

So you admit that you will rat someone out? Are you a snake yourself?

Fortunately humans can get away with all kinds of amoral and immoral behavior because most humans are socialized with a strong disinclination to kill. We see some mushy areas, as one example, where people take sides on spouses killing unfaithful spouses and affair partners. Some people think that's OK where normally they'd be averse to killing. That also may apply to revenge killing, when one's family member or lover is murdered. That 'eye for an eye' moral exception. Etc, etc.

Humans are about as simple as the laws which shackle us. Spend one day in court watching things to see how that all goes. What is right/wrong and what is legal? You decide ;)

Still, I am not going to tell you what happened, but I realize that I did deserve it. However, the way it was handled was $#!++y, as they waited too long to give me the letter, rather than do it sooner.

You can't expect others to live by your own personal moral code.

If seems like you are trying to find someone to blame for your firing instead of seeing it was own misconduct. If you hadn't been doing whatever that negative thing was, you wouldn't have gotten fired. Point being, you should stop questioning other peoples morals and should may be start looking at your own. Let it go.

For all you know that person's moral code doesn't allow to let other people get away with questionable behavior in the work place.

"Stop pointing out the stick in your neighbor's eye, when you have log in your eye." - or how ever that quote goes.

Edited by HiCrunchy
I snitch if I think the other person is doing the wrong thing, absolutely. Actions have consequences.

So you admit that you will rat someone out? Are you a snake yourself?

See here. This person thinks they are just and you categorize them to being a snake because they have violated your personal moral code while preserving their own. This is the flaw in your thinking.

Since you admit you were the wrong-doer, how do you tell the difference? Your "snitching" is another person's doing the right thing...

Mr. Lucky

Agreed. ^This is a very important point. Objective/Collective morality aside.

You can't hold other people to your own personal moral codes and expect them to act accordingly. People will act according to their own moral codes, which for this person means snitching on you.

Justanaverageguy

Its sounds like your spending energy looking for somewhere to direct your anger .... rather then looking at the mistake you made, learning from it and moving on.

You will come across all types in this world. Some who will cover for you. Some who will throw you under the bus. Then every variation in between those two. You may even find the same person will do both .... and which one they choose to do switches depending on which side of the bed they happened to get out of in the morning or whether the wind is blowing from the east or the west. :p Seriously humans are a fickle bunch and it may not be anything personal - they are just having a bad day so dropped you in it. Maybe they did it because they where confronted about something they did wrong and complained you got away with worse or maybe just something people were generally gossiping about that management got wind of. May not have been deliberately vindictive. Who knows ?!?

You personally have no control over other peoples actions. So why waste time thinking about it. What does it achieve ? The only thing you control is your own actions. So place the energy and focus there - thats what will dictate your future outcomes.

Edited by Justanaverageguy

Is it morals or ethics?

moral principles that govern a person's behaviour or the conducting of an activity,
well that's ethics...

ethics in my opinion are when you stand your own moral ground no matter how others perceive you in the defense of justice and whats right and true.....whistle blower...snitch.....dog.....i would rather be called that then support what is not right..standing by when you know something is wrong is ...not ethical....

like when my sons did something wrong and got caught out i supported them by telling them i will support you but...if you want my support you tell the truth....and take the consequences....which they did.....and i supported them and rallied community support.....

i think its important when you have morals is when you do something wrong you admit and tell the truth and don't put others in a position where they might have to lower their standards,ethics and morals in keeping your wrongs hidden......accepting consequences even when you do the wrong thing is a standard i feel is important..not blaming others for telling is important......we all make mistakes its how we handle them ....and take that responsibility makes ethics ...a beautiful word...and we can all improve ....and progress by the mistakes we make and accept..............deb