Cutting out sugar and other junk food

bathtub-row

I’m curious about how many people have cut out sugar and/or processed foods out of their diets. If you have, what results have you experienced? If you don’t subscribe to this idea, I’d like to know why. I’m interested in both sides of this topic.

I can get on-board with the health aspects, and have cut out nearly all processed sugars but still have carbs in my diet, but having spent some time with keto/no-sugar folks, the social aspects get tedious. Too much focus on food for my taste. When I show up, no one worries about having to meet my dietary needs, they fix what they like and I pick what works for me. The diet folks are too vocal and picky for my taste, and makes reciprocation tedious. Same as with 'picky' eaters. Tedious. Not enjoyable. I get medical diets, managed a diabetic in my past life, but it should be as unobtrusive as possible, not an imposition on others.

Reduction of sugar, and carbs, has helped with blood pressure and blood sugar and perhaps kept me medication-free now heading into my 60's. I think lifestyle solutions are a good first choice to promote health.

I'll still have a beer or shot of vodka now and again though. That's sugar, eventually. I'm good with that.

• Like 1

I don't personally believe in taking anything to extremes. I do try and minimize the processed sugar that I take - I rarely take sugary drinks and don't constantly eat sweets. But I still eat plenty of fruits (which naturally contain sugar and have heaps of nutritional benefits), and the occasional dessert or snack.

IMO, life is for living. No point going cold turkey on things - we'll all die anyway, and I'd rather die happy than miserable. On the other hand, we only have one body, so obviously it makes sense to take care of it, hence no binging on an entire tub of ice cream every day.

• Like 1
Romantic_Antics

It can provide some very specific health benefits like lowering your triglycerides and blood glucose levels or even shedding excess water weight. By eliminating anything from your diet you will experience cravings, which can be countered by eating healthy substitutes that are high in fiber and low in calories like apples, celery, and carrots.

I'm a firm believer in eating in moderation and getting plenty of exercise. That keeps me in pretty good shape while allowing me to occasionally splurge on junk that I enjoy without it compromising my overall health and fitness.

The other side of the topic: there is no (real) clinical evidence that cutting sugars (god knows what 'orthorexics' even define as sugars - glucose? sucrose? or WTH??) will have ANY health benefit. Obviously I'm talking about generally healthy people, not diabetic or morbidly obese.

I think the reason people think it gives them 'health' benefits is that they eat too much overall and cutting few calories helps with weight maintenance. The 'mental clarity' and similar BS is well... I'll call it placebo to spare other words.

If someone can come up with controlled nutritional study I'd be the first one to process and analyze it, but I highly doubt it that it is possible because of 1) length of the study 2) reliability of objects of the study 3) other environmental factors

So nutrition is mainly common sense and cutting one of the main resources developed in nature is... um not really passing the common sense bar.

I’m curious about how many people have cut out sugar and/or processed foods out of their diets. If you have, what results have you experienced? If you don’t subscribe to this idea, I’d like to know why. I’m interested in both sides of this topic.
Romantic_Antics
So nutrition is mainly common sense and cutting one of the main resources developed in nature is... um not really passing the common sense bar.

Refined sugars and processed foods are not developed in nature.

The other side of the topic: there is no (real) clinical evidence that cutting sugars (god knows what 'orthorexics' even define as sugars - glucose? sucrose? or WTH??) will have ANY health benefit. Obviously I'm talking about generally healthy people, not diabetic or morbidly obese.

I think the reason people think it gives them 'health' benefits is that they eat too much overall and cutting few calories helps with weight maintenance. The 'mental clarity' and similar BS is well... I'll call it placebo to spare other words.

If someone can come up with controlled nutritional study I'd be the first one to process and analyze it, but I highly doubt it that it is possible because of 1) length of the study 2) reliability of objects of the study 3) other environmental factors

There are lots of peer reviewed studies regarding various adverse effects of excessive sugar consumption. A quick browse through pubmed, and especially cross checking references, will bring up plenty. For instance, here is one to start with: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862465/

That being said, the key word here is "excessive". Certainly there is no evidence that a moderate intake within recommended dietary guidelines is harmful.

• Like 1
Refined sugars and processed foods are not developed in nature.

Are you saying then fruit sugars are okay? Because fruits have plenty of natural 'sugar': fructose, glucose, sucrose depending on what you eat, and from dietary standpoint - regardless of the source sugars are metabolized identically.

There are lots of peer reviewed studies regarding various adverse effects of excessive sugar consumption. A quick browse through pubmed, and especially cross checking references, will bring up plenty. For instance, here is one to start with: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862465/

That being said, the key word here is "excessive". Certainly there is no evidence that a moderate intake within recommended dietary guidelines is harmful.

Sure there are lots of studies, but IMO they are so poorly controlled I'd not take them as face-value. How would you abstract from the enormous genetic component and other lifestyle variations (e.g. orthorexics usually exercise more, don't smoke etc - so it's not only the dietary difference).

Not saying it's all fluff, but it is very hard to control, that's why the nutritional field is in such an embryonic stage and new fad appears every few years or so. Remember low-fat fad? Or mono-fruit 'cleanses' LOL? I'm sure low carb high protein mania is the next one to go in the 'historical' dietary advice books...

But being “generally healthy” is a scarcity. According to the latest figures, 40% of all women in the US are obese, and the middle-aged group is the worst. I’ve been exchanging food logs with my friend who has been obese almost all her adult life and who is trying to lose weight. Let me just say this: The amount of sugary drinks and sweet pastries in her “normal” diet is quite shocking to me. I say this as someone who pretty much eats everything I want.

Edited by JuneL
But being “generally healthy” is a scarcity. According to the latest figures, 40% of all women in the US are obese, and the middle-aged group is the worst. I’ve been exchanging food logs with my friend who has been obese almost all her adult life and who is trying to lose weight. Let me just say this: The amount of sugary drinks and sweet pastries in her “normal” diet is quite shocking to me. I say this as someone who pretty much eats everything I want.

All I’m saying is that if someone is eating shocking amounts of ANY food being sweet or savory, still the effect will be the same/close...

Generally healthy I meant in context of not diabetic / insulin resistant.

All I’m saying is that if someone is eating shocking amounts of ANY food being sweet or savory, still the effect will be the same/close...

Generally healthy I meant in context of not diabetic / insulin resistant.

The thing is, binge eaters usually binge on bad foods (with lots of trans fat, excessive sugar, etc.). There’re theories saying such foods make you want to eat more, even when your stomach full.

p.s. Interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/well/eat/counting-calories-weight-loss-diet-dieting-low-carb-low-fat.html?nytmobile=0

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Merge and correct link
  • Like 1
The thing is, binge eaters usually binge on bad foods (with lots of trans fat, excessive sugar, etc.). There’re theories saying such foods make you want to eat more, even when your stomach full.

p.s. Interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/well/eat/counting-calories-weight-loss-diet-dieting-low-carb-low-fat.html?nytmobile=0

Yeah binging on ice cream is easier than binging on celery :D:lmao:

For the article, I don't know... It's interesting. I personally has been at my lowest adult weight (~110-112 lbs at 5'7) when I used to eat almost exclusively sweets (snicker bars, icrecream, occasionally bread, croissants and cheese and here and there cherry tomatoes for vegetable intake). Lol not recommending it to anyone but I kept this weight for years, so it wasn't just dehydration, I think it was just the low caloric intake. When I switched to eating actual meals (when I moved in with live-in bf LOL) I immediately gained 15 lbs and I wasn't even touching sweets because he was in total control of the grocery shopping :/ Of course that's anecdotal example and one data point ...

But anyway, what bugs me about the so called sugars is people don't even know how to define them and still object them :D

For the article, I don't know... It's interesting. I personally has been at my lowest adult weight (~110-112 lbs at 5'7) when I used to eat almost exclusively sweets (snicker bars, icrecream, occasionally bread, croissants and cheese and here and there cherry tomatoes for vegetable intake). Lol not recommending it to anyone but I kept this weight for years, so it wasn't just dehydration, I think it was just the low caloric intake. When I switched to eating actual meals (when I moved in with live-in bf LOL) I immediately gained 15 lbs and I wasn't even touching sweets because he was in total control of the grocery shopping :/ Of course that's anecdotal example and one data point ...

But anyway, what bugs me about the so called sugars is people don't even know how to define them and still object them :D

In any case, I do agree that moderation is the key. I also find those diet fanatics off putting (much the same way I find religious fanatics or any kind of fanatics). I think Carhill above used the word “vocal” politely :laugh:

• Like 1
In any case, I do agree that moderation is the key. I also find those diet fanatics off putting (much the same way I find religious fanatics or any kind of fanatics). I think Carhill above used the word “vocal” politely :laugh:

Yeah very much true :) It’s all about moderation and not becoming a fanatic. E.g. I dated a vegetarian in the past non-issue because he didn’t make a big deal if I’m eating meat. Same way i never drink but go occasionally with friends that do and just drink undefined soda looking like a cocktail :D

Back to topic processed foods are not great for many reasons mainly undefined content in many cases. Also summer is great for cutting processed / cooked foods - few people will object some salad plus something thrown on the grill outdoors:)

• Author
bathtub-row

I agree about moderation. I wonder about this because food seems to make me feel crappy these days. Overall, I'm extremely healthy. Most people my age are taking some form of meds but I don't take anything at all. It's rare for me to even take asprin, and I don't get sick very often. But I do have allergies and wonder if there are a lot of things causing me to feel bad. Being really strict with my diet is hard for me to do, although I did it at the beginning of the year for about 3 mos and, honestly, felt incredibly wonderful. Perhaps it's just me. Perhaps I have to really watch what I eat. Such a bummer because I really love food. :)

PhillyLibertyBelle

I’ve cut out nearly all refined sugar, all caffeine and all processed food. I did it because I was fat. Not heavy, curvy or thick just plain old fat. The first 2 days I had a headache which I put down to having eaten so badly for so long. I was always a slender woman until some emotional upheaval in the last 3 years and I just started eating junk for comfort and frankly out of laziness and lack of loving myself. I still have 26lbs to lose, but now that I’ve done away with sugar if I do taste it by accident it all seems way over-sweet.

I’m not a pain in the bum about it and I don’t ram it down anyone’s throat. I can go anywhere and easily find something to eat and not bang on about it and annoy any dining companions.

• Like 2

Btw, being healthy is much more than maintaining a normal BMI. You might be able to maintain that “exclusively sweet” diet in your 20s without notable health issues, but I don’t think it’s realistic to continue with that diet into your 30s or 40s. Sometimes being skinny fat (when one looks slim, but there’s excessive fat surrounding her organs) can post a bigger health threat than being overweight or obese.

• Like 2

Ha, yeah, the tedious part is the preaching, however not everyone who follows strict dietary regimes is a preacher. Preaching is a personality characteristic. I tend to applaud people who experiment with lifestyle changes to see what works best for them. For some, cutting out junk food/sugar can bring major benefits. For others, meh.

I personally found cutting down on the obviously processed sugars helped the most, mainly while monitoring blood sugars. Experimenting with reducing complex/simple carbs and natural sugars (fructose being one example) didn't appear as helpful, and cut into my energy levels when working/exercising. That's one old guy metabolism of billions. Over the last decade I dealt with a gall bladder issue by cutting down on fats and cholesterol. Practically speaking, cutting out a few foods completely and cutting down on others. As I used to tell friends when they'd comment on my portions and eating speed, moderation is key. For many in my social circle food is love so when one seems to parse it more and look at it more deliberately, they get concerned. Some get preachy ;)

Noting ice cream and celery mentioned above, ice cream was one item I had to cut out completely for my gall bladder. Surprising, now a decade or so abstinent I don't miss it and do go out with friends for ice cream. I just don't eat any, choosing another item to share. I think the same can happen with sugars and other food items. The hard part was selling the ice cream freezer that made so much homemade ice cream over the decades. Lots of good memories with that. Time marches on and we all change.

• Like 2
Sure there are lots of studies, but IMO they are so poorly controlled I'd not take them as face-value. How would you abstract from the enormous genetic component and other lifestyle variations (e.g. orthorexics usually exercise more, don't smoke etc - so it's not only the dietary difference).

Not saying it's all fluff, but it is very hard to control, that's why the nutritional field is in such an embryonic stage and new fad appears every few years or so. Remember low-fat fad? Or mono-fruit 'cleanses' LOL? I'm sure low carb high protein mania is the next one to go in the 'historical' dietary advice books...

Mono-fruit "cleanses" have never been part of actual nutritional science. ;)

There is pretty solid physiological evidence regarding the risks of consuming excessive amounts of monosaccharides. But, of course, some people take that and turn it into a fad where "all sugar is bad", which is clearly untrue.

• Like 1

Agreed there is much more to being healthy than having normal BMI.

Most other parameters however (besides maybe BP), most people cannot control for / measure at home. So feeling they have 'mental clarity' or 'cleansed their liver' are obviously 'feelings' not facts.

I think the so called 'skinny fat' type is strictly genetic, to my knowledge happens mainly to women from East Asian descent.

I'd be happy to find a food that makes me feel (or be) healthier but so far out of luck in that respect, maybe because of my own disbelief:) It is more about eliminating foods that make you feel (or be) unhealthy. E.g. seafood is supposed to be very healthy but unfortunately I'm developing sensitivities recently ... So I can't eat shellfish anymore without major stomachache afterwards :( Here diet adjustment is a need not want....

Btw, being healthy is much more than maintaining a normal BMI. You might be able to maintain that “exclusively sweet” diet in your 20s without notable health issues, but I don’t think it’s realistic to continue with that diet into your 30s or 40s. Sometimes being skinny fat (when one looks slim, but there’s excessive fat surrounding her organs) can post a bigger health threat than being overweight or obese.
Ruby Slippers

I've always been a fairly healthy eater. I've improved recently by reducing sugar and bread-type carb intake. That definitely helps me stay more trim. If I get lazy and indulge for a few days, I see the results immediately. Mostly my stomach gets a little poochy. But after a few days of clean eating, the pooch is gone.

• Author
bathtub-row

I think it’s an age thing for me. The old body just doesn’t like the junk anymore — and it’s pretty vocal about it. Lol.

• Like 1